THE BROWNS BOARD

Sean Jones in Philly Green?

lambdo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like the Eagles are going to have him replacing Dawkins at Free Safety.

I'm not sure Jones is going to be good at Free Safety, he seems more like a banger to me.

Although with his bum knee, and penchant for interceptions, he might actually excel at Free Safety.

Former Cleveland Browns safety Sean Jones signs with Philadelphia Eagles

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday March 06, 2009, 4:25 PM

CLEVELAND -- Former Browns safety Sean Jones signed a one-year deal with the Eagles on Friday, the Associated Press reported.

Jones, who played five seasons with the Browns, might replace departed veteran Brian Dawkins at free safety.

Jones, who missed four games after undergoing arthrscopic knee surgery after the opener, finished with 81 tackles and four interceptions in 2008. He came on strong toward the end, making all four of his interceptions in the final six games.

Since 2006, Jones ranks third among safeties behind Baltimore's Ed Reed and St. Louis' Oshiomogho Atogwe with 14 interceptions.

Jones, who wanted to finish his career in Cleveland, was upset last season that the Browns made no attempt to re-sign him and that they continually referred to his knee injury even after he felt he was completely healthy.

In anticipation of losing Jones, the Browns re-signed safety Mike Adams Thursday to a three-year deal worth $4.1 million.

Shit more by our new front office. I strongly feel we should have resigned him.

There better be something majorly wrong with him for us to pass like this...

Shit more by our new front office. I strongly feel we should have resigned him.

There better be something majorly wrong with him for us to pass like this...

He signed a one year deal. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his health/ability going into 2009. Not sure many teams felt as strongly as you. We need a safety now, but not an overpaid, underperforming guy like Sean.

well, Im not exactly an Adams fan. Im getting the feeling this season is going to make last season not look so bad. I felt that Jones was one FA we would sign and bring back, but I guess I was wrong on that. At least after last season I think I have my expectations for this franchise in check and really don't get too bent out of shape over the moves made in cleveland anymore.

I was hoping jones would come back but to take a 1 year deal he obviously really wanted out i think this was a bad mistake by mankok letting jones go now we have even more concerns in our already suspect secondary..

I'm just looking at the trash we have, safety-wise. Guess I'm the only one bothered by this...

definitely not the only one. this doesn't bode well for our season. i expected it to be ugly, but it'll be terrible if we walk into the year with pool and adams as our starters. we either need adams as depth and insurance or we need someone comparable behind him if mankok thinks he's matured into an every-down guy, especially considering pool's concussion history.

I'm just looking at the trash we have, safety-wise. Guess I'm the only one bothered by this...

No, but it all depends on the pass rush. I am not going to overpay and lock my team into Sean Jones if he is not worth it. He got a 1 year deal from Philly, who needs to replace Dawkins. Doesn't that tell you anything?

He got a 1 year deal from Philly, who needs to replace Dawkins. Doesn't that tell you anything?

Yes, it does.

It tells me, unlike us, Philly is willing to take a 1-year gamble on a good (when healthy) safety who will be, at worst, a stopgap until they draft someone better than we'll draft to replace him b/c they are way smarter than we are.

We know what we get with Jones. When healthy, he's a good safety, and it isn't like we have any viable solutions at that position to let him walk. We blew it, big time, with this one IMO. End of story.

Yes, it does.

It tells me, unlike us, Philly is willing to take a 1-year gamble on a good (when healthy) safety who will be, at worst, a stopgap until they draft someone better than we'll draft to replace him b/c they are way smarter than we are.

We know what we get with Jones. When healthy, he's a good safety, and it isn't like we have any viable solutions at that position to let him walk. We blew it, big time, with this one IMO. End of story.

It tells me we're strongly considering drafting a safety.

After Mays withdrew his name, I crossed safety off the board.

We're going to have a great shot at him next year by the look of things....

1) he wasn't getting multi-year deals for a reason (i.e he is average at best) and 2) he FOR DAMN SURE wasn't taking a 1 year deal from us, so not sure what we "blew."

Relax, we didn't blow anything. He is a very mediocre safety, not an elite pass rusher. Having him back there the last two seasons, I am not sure just what you think we're going to be missing. If he is your favorite Brown I am sorry we traded away your buddy. He is far from being some irreplacable cog in the machine, that's for damn sure. And not a leader like a safety should be. Average, at best.

Average, at best.

Would you sign this player? I would.

XXXXX ranks third among safeties behind Baltimore's Ed Reed and St. Louis' Oshiomogho Atogwe with 14 interceptions since 2006. He had four picks in XXXXX's final six games last season. XXXXX missed four games after having surgery on his right knee, but played the last 11.

The 27-year-old XXXXX has recorded 286 tackles and three forced fumbles in 60 games, including 44 starts. XXXXX, listed at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds, had his best season in '06 when he finished with 107 1/2 tackles and five interceptions.

If he is your favorite Brown I am sorry we traded away your buddy.

Leave the man-love to the mouth-breathers. I just want to field the best team possible.

Vegas, are you saying that you are content with Adams taking his place? I know Im not...I saw enough of Adams when he had to start to know he isnt going to cut it. I still think that Jones was a good safety and is still young enough to help this club out. I really did think we would bring him back. I hope Mangini knows what he is doing...RAC thought he did too a few years back. Mangini is on the clock, hope he finds all the pieces he's looking for before the alarm goes off.

1) he wasn't getting multi-year deals for a reason (i.e he is average at best) and 2) he FOR DAMN SURE wasn't taking a 1 year deal from us, so not sure what we "blew."

Relax, we didn't blow anything. He is a very mediocre safety, not an elite pass rusher. Having him back there the last two seasons, I am not sure just what you think we're going to be missing. If he is your favorite Brown I am sorry we traded away your buddy. He is far from being some irreplacable cog in the machine, that's for damn sure. And not a leader like a safety should be. Average, at best.

Says something when he has to go shop himself for only a one year contract. Most believe he is damaged goods. Could be why Philly would only give him a 1 year contract.

Vegas, are you saying that you are content with Adams taking his place? I know Im not...I saw enough of Adams when he had to start to know he isnt going to cut it. I still think that Jones was a good safety and is still young enough to help this club out. I really did think we would bring him back. I hope Mangini knows what he is doing...RAC thought he did too a few years back. Mangini is on the clock, hope he finds all the pieces he's looking for before the alarm goes off.

What don't you understand about him being damaged goods. He couldn't get a multi year contract as a UFA. He got a 1 year tryout with Philly.

Adams isn't taking his place, he is a backup. There's a reason you get draft picks and that's to draft players you need to fill vacancies.

Man, lighten up...............we didn't lose shit.

Guest Aloysius
Says something when he has to go shop himself for only a one year contract. Most believe he is damaged goods. Could be why Philly would only give him a 1 year contract.

That, or it could be that Jones believes he's an elite safety whose contract year was wrecked by a knee injury. A one year "prove it" deal with a good defensive team looks to be the best way for him to earn that elite money.

Archived