THE BROWNS BOARD

Bad Boys Update

Chicopee John

Daly being treated for pancreatic cancer

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Former Detroit Pistons coach Chuck Daly has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The team says Friday that Daly "is being treated for the cancer and his family is requesting privacy."

The 78-year-old Daly coached the Pistons to NBA championships in 1989 and 1990. He also was the coach of the 1992 gold medal-winning US Olympic squad dubbed the "Dream Team." He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1994.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to Chuck and his family following today's tough news," Detroit president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said. "He holds a special place in our hearts and we'll be here to support him in any way we can."

Dumars played for Daly on both championship teams, winning the NBA finals MVP award in 1989.

The Pistons were scheduled to play the Golden State Warriors on Friday night.

"I wish him the best. It's a tough cancer to get," Golden State coach Don Nelson said. "He beat my (butt) probably more than anybody."

Family spokesman Matt Dobek says in the release that as a coach Daly was "known as the Prince of Pessimism, right now Chuck Daly is the King of Optimism."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Guest ATENEARS

A truly great guy.

I knew of a guy from the Akron area that wrote Daly a letter back during his Championship runs with the Pistons, and commending him on his team defense. The guy was a high school level coach and added a few questions about practice routines and such ... hardly expecting a response. Daly sent the guy an invitation to join him courtside at an upcoming Piston's practice and then stood shoulder to shoulder with the guy during the practice to explain things in detail.

Can you imagine coaching the Pistons with all those personalities: Isiah Thomas, Crazy Dennis Rodman, Arrogant Bill Laimbeer, Thug Rick Mahorn, Veterans Mark Aguirre replacing Adrian Dantley, Lightening-quick-shooter Vinnie Johnson, Comedian John Salley, Buhda James Edwards and blending them with good guys like Joe Dumars. They even had personalities like Darryl Dawkins filling roles late in his career.

That's a rough team to blend. Talented-yes, but a lot of locker room drama to contend with and channel to back-to-back Championships.

Best wishes Chuck ... Get well!

ATENEARS (Always will be a Bad Boy fan, for Life)

Screw the Bad Boys, I fooking hated them. Chuck Daly on the other hand, now that was a helluva coach. Remember, he got his start right here in Ctown.

BTW, the Cavs win the title in 88 if not for Mahorn knocking Price out late in the season. The Cavs were bad to the bone all year and that completely threw off their chemistry . They ended up winning 57 but it easily should have been greater than 60. It also allowed for Mike to knock them out with The Shot. The Cavs beat the snot out of Chicago all year long and were 6-0 against them going into that series, but Price never got back to 100% nor was Nance healthy the entire series.

Total bullshit, and not one Cavs player came to Price's defense after that fatass thug Mahorn pulled that crap. Face it, the Pistons are what made the NBA a steaming pile of shit in the 90's. They changed a once beautiful game of Lakers Showtime/Cavs grace into a league of underskilled TE's sumo wrestling.

Can't blame it on Daly though, he just did what he had to do to win.

Can you imagine coaching the Pistons with all those personalities: Isiah Thomas, Crazy Dennis Rodman, Arrogant Bill Laimbeer, Thug Rick Mahorn, Veterans Mark Aguirre replacing Adrian Dantley, Lightening-quick-shooter Vinnie Johnson, Comedian John Salley, Buhda James Edwards and blending them with good guys like Joe Dumars. They even had personalities like Darryl Dawkins filling roles late in his career.

I am always in awe of Stan...faced with the task of naming one player from that Pistons team as a thug, most of our heads would explode. Aside from Vinnie Johnson and Joe Dumars, that team was the biggest collection of scumbags assembled since the raider party scene in "Blazing Saddles." I wouldn't have rooted for them if they had one engine out on their team plane.

Still a shame to see he has cancer, though.

Dennis

Laimbeer still sucks.

Dick knob Laimbeer was also a Cav first.

I don't really, really hate too many things (with the exception of all things Pittspuke, Michigan and Yankees), but I fawking hated that team. The level of hatred for each player was on different levels of hatred. For example, I wouldn't piss on that little shit Zeke if he was on fire. How about the time he punched Laimbeer from behind in practice like a little bitch LOL.

Lord knows Rodman was certainly pretty cool.........good God, lobotomy anyone? I've seen old ladies pushing shopping carts around who could talk some sense to that freakwad.

Then there's Salley. Dude's a comedian alright, especially on the Best Damn Sports Show when he acts like all those rings on his hand were due to him. Spider was a dead on nickname, cause dude could not ball a lick......just all arms and legs. I LMFAO on that show when he tries to shoot with someone. I could shoot left handed and beat that doofus in horse to this day.

Mahorn? Where to start with that sweetheart. Could anybody imagine WTF would come out if him and Jenny On the Block procreated? The ass on that thing would cause a permanent solar eclipse. I always wanted to see him and Charles Oakley get in a fight the likes of which Lonnie Shelton and Buck Williams did at the Coliseum. May the best fooker die.....and Oak was a Clevelander.

Edwards? Oh yeah, another former Cadaver.

Hell, Dantley was one of my favorite players growing up and I used to emulate his game a lot, especially his step back fade. It took all of two seconds when he went to Daytwa to despise that ball hog.

Aguirre was a douche at Depaul and going to Pistonville did nothing to add to his charm.

I couldn't even like the Microwave. The way he shot the ball just pissed me off, kind of a hybrid World B. Free meets Silk Wilkes. He had absolutely no range past 15 feet yet teams always let him have the shot.

BTW, Laimbeer is a badass woman's coach now. Couldn't be that he would get his ass beat if he tried to coach men would it? Ah, who can forget the Keith Lee-- Billy L fight? That was classic.

Guest ATENEARS

LOL, great takes ... especially Rif ... I love the jealousy. That homo Cavs team was nothing compared to the Bad Boys, don't even mention them in the same sentence. The Bad Boys over-came the great Celtic (Bird) and Laker (Magic) towers and hammered in back-to-back championships before Michael took over the league ... the Cavs were a fawking footnote, kind of like the fine print on a 10-piece chicken Mcnugget that reads, "Careful, eating these ass-fats will cause huge pooper"

Typical Cleveland loss, getting their head split open by the bigger, tougher team and then crying about it. Suck it up, get tough, and let's a see a Cleveland team start splitting some heads for once. This same mentality has us where we are with the new Browns.

Let's tip toe in a tall bald Lithuanian with a tippy-touch shot all the way to a dynasty!

Bad Boys Ruled ... Celtic white-boy bounce passes were gay and so was not acquiring Shaq.

I am always in awe of Stan...faced with the task of naming one player from that Pistons team as a thug, most of our heads would explode. Aside from Vinnie Johnson and Joe Dumars, that team was the biggest collection of scumbags assembled since the raider party scene in "Blazing Saddles." I wouldn't have rooted for them if they had one engine out on their team plane.

Still a shame to see he has cancer, though.Dennis Laimbeer still sucks.

Biggest thug, dumbest NBA executive, racist, and all-around disliked player and person by his peers: Isiah Thomas. Hands down. That was easy.

as a mere 22 year old, i do not remember any of the detroit bad boys. since i am a cleveland fan, i am automatically inclined to hate anyone associated with the pistons. however when a man has a terminal illness like this all those feelings go aside. sports are a part of our lives, an they can affect us in many ways. but my heart really goes out to chuck daly and his family as it does anyone who is suffering from a terminal illness. i hope that he is able to beat this disease and return to full health. that being said, isiah thomas is an asshole and probably the worst gm/coach ever. he takes the cake for biggest asshole on that team

Archived