THE BROWNS BOARD

THE METAL THREAD

Riffer X

Okay, my passion is music in general, but metal tops the list. Furns is a fellow metaller and we share a lot of stuff with one another.

I wanted to start a thread strictly for metal. Anything goes: bands you like, videos, favorite riffs, tablature, opinions.....anything.

Anyway, I'll start with a tribute to one of the finest metal bands to ever grace this planet called Metal Church. Furns loves them too and these guys are still cranking out killer stuff, even as recently as this year. Metal Church is old school, non-sell out heavy metal. Their lyrics are true to life and musically they are as tight as it gets. Their lead axeman and main member is Kurdt Vanderhoof, who also produces for the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

METAL CHURCH WIKI

Check this video out. It's an old school classic from their first album in 1984 but from a recent show. Unfortunately, it is cut off before it ends but it's so damn good I had to pin it.

GODS OF WRATH----Metal Church

WAITING FOR A SAVIOR-----Metal Church

IN HARM"S WAY------Metal Church

FAKE HEALER-------Metal Church

TEMPLES OF THE SEA----Metal Church Give this one time, it doesn't disappoint. This is newer stuff.

THE FINAL WORD----Metal Church

Awesome stuff Riff! I've totally been playing the hail out of This Present Wasteland! Just flat out killer. I could write a novel about all the metal bands I've seen and heard over the years. I'm 46 years old and still headbang with the best of them.

Doug

• 1 month later...

I like the Coming Curse by Killswitch, that tune is bad.

Did anyone watch Metallica get enshrined into the Rock Hall?

It's kind of funny, Ctown was all abuzz and so proud about all the people who seemed pumped up over the top for the event. It's just hard to have the heart to tell them it was because FAWKING METALLICA JUST GOT INDUCTED YOU TOOLSHEDS lol.

Very cool ceremony the whole event was. Even though I don't like the Chilli Peppers, Flea actually did a helluva job inducting Metallica in what he said. He covered all bases and said it like it was. People who get it got it. Metallica's speeches were all pretty good and James went into the bands that should now be inducted ie. Priest, Maiden, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Kiss etc.

Then they ripped into Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman with Jason also playing bass. After that they played with inductee Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ron Wood, Joe Perry and some others and it was cool.

Overall a great show and Ctown looked great putting it on. How cool is it that Ctown got to be the place for Metallica to be inducted? That kicks ass and so did M. They said they had a blast here and were very appreciative of everything. Those guys were extremely proud to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and they should be. From where they came from and what they represented it was a phenomenal accomplishment and they broke barriers no band ever has that heavy. Hell, they made heavy. Oh, and Cliff Burton's dad also gave a speech and was real class.

Total feel good show.

MASTER OF PUPPETS

ENTER SANDMAN

FLEA's SPEECH

Thanks for posting those clips, Riff. Went to Youtube and checked out the rest of the night. Definitely awesome to see Newsted up there with the boys. It would have been awesome to see Mustaine get up and take a lead or two (as I think they've resolved everything) but I think he was in Europe or on tour or something.

I think every 5 seconds I rotate between ...Justice or Kill 'em all as my favorite Metallica album.

Thanks for posting those clips, Riff. Went to Youtube and checked out the rest of the night. Definitely awesome to see Newsted up there with the boys. It would have been awesome to see Mustaine get up and take a lead or two (as I think they've resolved everything) but I think he was in Europe or on tour or something.

I think every 5 seconds I rotate between ...Justice or Kill 'em all as my favorite Metallica album.

I haven't heard what is going on with Mustaine. They are pretty water under the bridge but at the same time both feel they are in the right. My guess is Dave wouldn't have wanted to be a part of that. For one thing he has his own band that is hall of fame caliber in a few years and it would have taken away from Metallica more or less by him being involved. They had other members in the real early days too.

I think they played it out just right. BTW, there are better versions of Puppets on Youtube that are way tight.

Puppets and Ride are hard to beat for me. Check this out:

ORION LIVE

I've been TOTALLY blasting this Heaven & Hell cd for two weeks now. I ALWAYS preferred the Dio Sabbath to the Ozzy Sabbath. That little Elf still has amazing pipes!

Doug

Check out this gem I found on You Tube. Freaking killer version of Am I Evil by Diamond Head, it blows away their original album version. Totally badass.

AM I EVIL by Diamond Head

• 6 months later...
I like the Coming Curse by Killswitch, that tune is bad.

Did anyone watch Metallica get enshrined into the Rock Hall?

It's kind of funny, Ctown was all abuzz and so proud about all the people who seemed pumped up over the top for the event. It's just hard to have the heart to tell them it was because FAWKING METALLICA JUST GOT INDUCTED YOU TOOLSHEDS lol.

Very cool ceremony the whole event was. Even though I don't like the Chilli Peppers, Flea actually did a helluva job inducting Metallica in what he said. He covered all bases and said it like it was. People who get it got it. Metallica's speeches were all pretty good and James went into the bands that should now be inducted ie. Priest, Maiden, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Kiss etc.

Then they ripped into Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman with Jason also playing bass. After that they played with inductee Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ron Wood, Joe Perry and some others and it was cool.

Overall a great show and Ctown looked great putting it on. How cool is it that Ctown got to be the place for Metallica to be inducted? That kicks ass and so did M. They said they had a blast here and were very appreciative of everything. Those guys were extremely proud to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and they should be. From where they came from and what they represented it was a phenomenal accomplishment and they broke barriers no band ever has that heavy. Hell, they made heavy. Oh, and Cliff Burton's dad also gave a speech and was real class.

Total feel good show.

I'll just add in- this .02 As a marginal Rush fan, just picked up the Blu-Ray of "Snakes & Arrows" and the guys are damn deserving of enshrinement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I ALWAYS preferred the Dio Sabbath to the Ozzy Sabbath.

Doug

Wow...you're the first person I've ever heard/say/write that.

I'm a Ronnie James Dio fan, but Black Sabbath with Ozzy is certainly my favorite music of all time.

I have recently gotten HEAVILY into Rammstein. They were the "cause du jour" back in '99 cuz the Columbine phuckwads were into them so I never gave them a chance.

But DAMN, do they have the RIFFage! I'm digging it big time!

Doug

Wow...you're the first person I've ever heard/say/write that.

I'm a Ronnie James Dio fan, but Black Sabbath with Ozzy is certainly my favorite music of all time.

Don't take that to mean I don't LOVE Ozzy Sabbath...cuz I most certainly DO, but I listen to the Dio stuff alot more and I always have. Could be because I was "coming of age" when Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules were brand spanking new.

Doug

Archived