THE BROWNS BOARD

Jasper Brinkley

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Here are some highlights (and lowlights) of Brinkley from the LSU game this year (Brinkley's #52):

You can watch a larger, higher quality version of the clip here.

I attend the university of south carolina, so i saw brinkley play alot last year. Coming into last year most scouts said he would be going first to second round. The first 3-4 games of the season Brinkley was never seen around the ball. He had about a tackle a game. As the season went on though he started to play better. His playing weight during the season was 270, and he showed up to the combine at 250. He is a sure tackler, but he is not very fast and has trouble going from sideline to sideline. Eric Norwood coming out next year would be a much better pick for the browns imo

He is what he is a prospect and certainly not a sure thing. I don't know if he can move up to be a 3nd round pick. Maybe with a good pro day and good individual workouts he can make someone bite. I'd take him at the bottom of the 3rd round if he works out well.

He is a sure tackler, but he is not very fast and has trouble going from sideline to sideline. Eric Norwood coming out next year would be a much better pick for the browns imo

Yep and he better learn to keep his head on a swivel cause he got lit up by LSU's center.

Guest Aloysius
Eric Norwood coming out next year would be a much better pick for the browns imo

I agree. Norwood would be great as a hybrid 3-4 ILB-OLB, kind of like a poor man's Adalius Thomas. I was really disappointed when he decided to return to South Carolina for his senior year.

Those clips didn't make me love Brinkley. Made me miss college football though.

It made me miss Mike Patrick's announcing. I love how he seems to get legitimately pumped up about the games he's calling - he makes the kind of coaching/playcalling critiques that every fan back home is shouting at their television sets.

Plus, he wears the most comically God-awful suits I've ever seen. He wore a gold-colored one last year. Yowza.

Why did we pick this game for his "highlights," BTW? I'm pretty sure we could pick a game where the Wake Forest dude doesn't pop, like his bowl game?

It was the only game available online. But I watched four or five South Carolina games last year, and the clip is fairly representative of how Brinkley looked in all of them. Based on what Breeze posted above, it seems like he would agree with that.

That's why Brinkley's Combine was so crazy. He shows up twenty pounds lighter and looks like a sideline to sideline athlete, which he clearly doesn't look like on film. One can draft him thinking he'll play up to his workout numbers, but that's assuming 1) he'll keep his weight down, and 2) he's not just a workout warrior whose instincts slow down his playing speed.

He's a very intriguing prospect, but he's also kind of boom or bust-ish. It'll be very interesting to see where he's drafted; I bet a team like Denver ends up reaching for him.

He is what he is a prospect and certainly not a sure thing. I don't know if he can move up to be a 3nd round pick. Maybe with a good pro day and good individual workouts he can make someone bite. I'd take him at the bottom of the 3rd round if he works out well.

First 3 rounds are, what are referred as, premium rounds. They are the top 100 and, basically, not a round to 'take a shot' unless somebody has fallen from round 1 or 2 due to injury or other reasons.

If somebody is not a sure thing, they shouldn't be drafted in rounds 1-3. Enough 'sure things' prove to be washouts in case you haven't been watching Browns' drafts for the past 30 years.

Jasper looks like a very strong young man. I think he did a fine job of stacking and shedding, but he's certainly not athletic enough to go sideline to sideline or take down ball carriers in the open field.

If he ends up a Brown, at least he won't get pushed into Lake Erie like DQ and #54 always did. He looks like a guy who can stand his ground.

-Al

After watching that clip, he can STAY in SC! When I DID see him in on a tackle, it seemed to be a "one armed" arm tackle....not exactly All-Pro material.

No thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

According to TFY Draft, Brinkley looked great in position drills at his pro day. He also weighed in at 249 lbs., which is a good sign - he played last year at a chunked up 270.

Keep in mind in his JR year (before the injury) he played around 250. I think his weight, and side to side play, were badly affected by his knee injury. He didn't even start the year healthy...but by the end of the year he had dropped about 10 lbs and was making plays. He then drops another 10 lbs and shows up at the combine looking like the pre-injury player that was supposed to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

I agree he doesn't look good in that clip. But if you go back and look at the pre-injury stuff you may be looking at a much more representative idea of what he is capable of now that he is past the injury.

He is going to be a late 3rd, early 4th because teams are not going to be sold that he IS pre-injury Brinkley...but if he is he will be one of the steals of the draft.

Personally, I have seen a progression over the course of the year culminating in some incredible stuff at the combine. I think he is well worth getting if he is there in the 4th.

As for comparisons to Bell....I think the INJURED Brinkley is comparable...but a HEALTHY Brinkley blows him out of the water.

Guest Aloysius
Keep in mind in his JR year (before the injury) he played around 250. I think his weight, and side to side play, were badly affected by his knee injury. He didn't even start the year healthy...but by the end of the year he had dropped about 10 lbs and was making plays. He then drops another 10 lbs and shows up at the combine looking like the pre-injury player that was supposed to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Not sure about that. He looked pretty stiff & unathletic at the Outback Bowl. Also, he told reporters at the Combine that the knee injury didn't affect his lateral movement. Maybe he was just lying, but I'm not sure I'd draft him based on the hope that he was.

He's a boom or bust type of prospect, and I think Mangini & Kokinis would be wise to stay away from those. You're probably right about where he'll be drafted, but it's not like played anywhere close to that level; theOBR's Brent "SOBO" Sobleski gave him a 7th round grade.

Archived