THE BROWNS BOARD

Ryan Tucker Stays

Sez.EJ

Found this blurb on Roto Times

Ryan Tucker, T, Cleveland Browns Sunday 3/8, 11:10 AM CT

Ryan Tucker has agreed to restructure his contract with the Browns, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: Tucker was going to earn $3.25MM in 2009, but is now going to receive $850,000. Tucker is a solid veteran guard, but has a poor track record with durability.

My view.. Very smart move by the Browns. When healthy is one of the best. Now we have him fairly inexpensively. Guy is a leader. Hopefully healthy for the future. Can anchor the RT or guard spot very well.

Hopefully healthy for the future. Can anchor the RT or guard spot very well.

He will be 34 in June. Yea, he's still a good player, but for how long? We'll need to address that situation sooner rather than later. Maybe not in 2009, but soon enough.

-Al

Ryan Tucker has agreed to restructure his contract with the Browns, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: Tucker was going to earn $3.25MM in 2009, but is now going to receive $850,000. Tucker is a solid veteran guard, but has a poor track record with durability.

My view.. Very smart move by the Browns. When healthy is one of the best. Now we have him fairly inexpensively. Guy is a leader. Hopefully healthy for the future. Can anchor the RT or guard spot very well.

Good news! Tucker when healthy is a top 10 right side guy. He can also teach and mentor the younger line-man on the new techniques of gaining muscle and stamina.

He restructured he didn't take a pay cut. That $2.5 million will be in a bonus for next year and most likely guaranteed because he is on a two year contract.

Bottom line is he needs to get his ass on the field. I'm running out of patience with him. I really like the guy as a player and person, but his ass needs to play and be fixture on that line. He adds a whole different dimension when in there. Kevvy Shafe becomes viable along with even Fraley when Tuck holds down RG. We may see Hadnot playing center and a line of Thomas, Steiny, Hadnot, Tucker and Shaffer. That becomes pretty formidable and also gives a center or RT in the draft time to develop.

Personally, I see the right side as Shaffer, Tucker at RT. I think the Browns still need to draft a RT with one of the picks in the second round.

or,,, sign one in FA.

Good news! Tucker when healthy is a top 10 right side guy. He can also teach and mentor the younger line-man on the new techniques of gaining muscle and stamina.

I'd rather not. Tuck was suspended for steroids last year. Rather him not teach the younger guys that. But I do love him and its great to see hes a team guy who will take a pay cut.

He will be 34 in June. Yea, he's still a good player, but for how long? We'll need to address that situation sooner rather than later. Maybe not in 2009, but soon enough.

-Al

It used to be you could fill this postion via Free agency as teams usually don't want to tag this position. But in the last couple of years all the big time Guards have been wrapped up to long term deals.

I don't know of any that would be available soon via free agency. Maybe someone else does.

Will probably have to address it through the draft.

We need to bring in a guard and center THIS SEASON for Tucker and Fraley to mentor before it's too late, that way the guys have a season to learn and get experience.

I thought Tucker was done last season and think Fraley will be done after this one.

That's going to leave 2 gaping holes.

Tuck is a good player when healthy but he gets hurt to often..

We only have 2 solid pieces on the OL thomas and steinbach and tuck when healthy.. the rest are makeshift at best we need a quality center first and foremost on the oline..it would help tuck and shaffer out a great deal..

and usually an inept offense with Shaffer at RT.

Gotta draft one, sign one... can't take him at RT anymore. I don't think our qb's can, either.

Shaffer had the best grade out of any Browns lineman. Shep

There is no way I can buy that, Shep. Shaffer got both our qb's hurt.

He graded out better than Joe Thomas? In the classroom, maybe?

Shaffer has slow feet, and he is lost on the matchup with several teams the Browns play.

I'd keep Shaffer starting this season at RT and draft replacements for Tucker and Fraley, THEN worry about replacing Shaffer next season. He's good enough for now and stays healthy.

Would I like to see an upgrade at RT?

Yes.

I just think we'll get more out of fixing center and right guard than right tackle at this time. Face it, Tucker isn't a "fix" at RT or RG, he's only managed to get splinters in his ass with as dinged up as he's been, and when you get that dinged up you aint going to start being more productive the next season.

If we could get one more 2nd or a high 3rd we could go LB in the 1st, RB & RG in the 2nd and with the other late 2nd or 3rd grab a center.

That would give us a foundation of 3 young oline with 2 young running backs and a young qb, which would be an excellent start to laying a long term foundation for the offense. You would have to worry about a RT and WR next season, both you could probably get in the 2-3 round range while you take a safety in the 1st if that Mays USC guy is floating there.

Shep is right, although it may seem crazy, but Kevvy Shafe did grade out the best in 2007 when Tuck played next to him. Tuck was called the best lineman by Marshall the line coach, and we all know that really JT was the best lineman but as a rook wasn't going to get crowned with that, but fact is Shafe had a damn good year on 07.

I personally would not be shocked if Shafe is let go for cap reasons, but that would depend on so many other things. I really think Tuck makes a total difference on the line. Could him taking a pay cut this year make room for his buddy Shafe to stay? Not sure.

I do know that this line will be good with that lineup no matter who starts at center, but the key is to start the development process now like teams like Puke do. Starting rooks is not recommended unless they're Thomas types, and hell, even Pace struggled as a rook.

i think Tucker will play at RG while Hadnot plays the Center. I never liked shaffer because he was overmatched and wasnt a true presence- just another guy on the line. We need to find a replacement for him in the draft so that person can start next year. i dont think it needs to be addressed in the first three rounds but maybe in mid rounds

Archived