THE BROWNS BOARD

Abram Elam

Guest mz.

Eric Mangini continues to pick through the Jets' cupboard. Today, the Browns hosted two Jets free agents - S Abram Elam and CB Hank Poteat, according to a league source.

Elam is a restricted free agent, but means the Jets have the right of first refusal. Because Elam was an undrafted free agent out of college and because he received the lowest tender possible ($1.01 million), the Jets aren't entitled to any draft-pick compensation if he goes elsewhere.

Elam was a clutch performer last season, making several big plays (just ask J.P. Losman), but he became a spare part when Rex Ryan signed former Ravens S Jim Leonhard to a three-year, $5.875 million contract.

Poteat isn't exciting but the little I did see from Elam last season is interesting........

via here.

A few thoughts...

1. Hank Poteat had perhaps his best season as a pro last year, including a career high in tackles. And if you don't like the signing, you think Mangini is an idiot because he was, uh... right there watching. Mangini signed him after Belicheck signed him, and I happen to think those two guys know a little bit about defensive football.

2. All of the guys we're signing from the Jets defense are at positions of need... and they're all upgrades. Barton is better than Davis, Bowens is better than McGinest, and Poteat is better than Cousins. Abram Elam helps ease the loss of Jones.

3. The Browns are squaring up for a big time draft. Just read again that they absolutely are making Anderson available and kinda-sorta making Edwards available. They want a bunch of picks in the first few rounds. They're remaking the team.

Why on God's Green earth would we trade Edwards? He is an absolutely talented receiver, whose value is down right now because of a nightmare season. We are paper thin at receiver and this is guy is a bonafide stud. You don't trade a guy like this when his stock is down. He's going to bounce back, let him bounce back with us.

I agree all the signings are good. I have no problem with all of the signings so far, I know why they bring a guy like Poteet in ... but if he gets beat out, that's even a better thing.

Elam would be a terrific signing, I like him a lot.

Trading Edwards is akin to smoking crack though, IMO.

Zombo

The reason you'd trade Edwards is cuz there's no guarantee he'll stay after his contract is up.

I'd rather get some picks that could help us in the long-term, than keep him on for the next two just to watch him leave.

If Mangini can shape this team up, and convince Edwards that this is a place to win, then, yeah, best-case scenario.

I think this would be a great signing. I know he had past character flags thrown...BUT Mangini wouldn't bring him in if there was an ounce of "issue" left in the guy. He plays HARD.

Since the Losman fumble was brought up I thought I'd link it.

Notice the blitz formation! A (recent) Browns Defense has never looked this aggressive before...exciting.

I really like all the signings too which I mentioned in another thread. We need to sign depth and role players instead of throwing all our cash at flashy players that dont fit the system or arent team players. (Corey Williams, Donte Stallworth, Shaun Rogers, etc.) All these veterans we are bringing in are low risk and are basically productive stop gaps.

I really didnt like the signing of Royal, 3 mil per is a bit much for a blocking TE. We could have signed a UDFA for that. I liked the Winslow trade but it over paying for Royal makes it look bad.

On a side note Poteat is our 4th CB at best we will bring in some one to cover the slot he is just a depth signing.

Elam wouldnt lighten the overrated(on this board atleast) Jones blow I think he would be an improvement. Jones only got a 1 year deal with philly they must not be too in love with him. Also Elam would be cheaper and was pretty productive in Mangini system the last 2 seasons.

Well if he lights it up next season you can bet we'll throw the franchise tag on him...

And then what? Either he gets traded or he willingly leaves. He won't be a Brown forever.

I'd take Elam in a minute over Jones. I love the idea of bringing him in here.

It also will keep Alo and me from arguing about William Moore and Patrick Chung until the draft....................ha, ha.

As for Edwards, you are in a damn if you do damn if you don't situation. He has the potential of being great and reviving this offense. But he also has the mouth to piss off this staff and get his butt suspended or at least benched. I could live with him here this year and tagging him next year if he has a great year. What would suck is if his attitude caused the staff to sour on him and he played like last year and lost all his trade value.

More and more this situation reminds me of Plaxico and Pittsburgh.

Guest John McClane
I'd take Elam in a minute over Jones. I love the idea of bringing him in here.

It also will keep Alo and me from arguing about William Moore and Patrick Chung until the draft....................ha, ha.

As for Edwards, you are in a damn if you do damn if you don't situation. He has the potential of being great and reviving this offense. But he also has the mouth to piss off this staff and get his butt suspended or at least benched. I could live with him here this year and tagging him next year if he has a great year. What would suck is if his attitude caused the staff to sour on him and he played like last year and lost all his trade value.

More and more this situation reminds me of Plaxico and Pittsburgh.

Then he gets traded to another team and shoots himself in the leg. ;)

Personally I would trade Edwards and break the bank to bring in Holt before Baltimore scoops him up. The guy it a great receiver and a CLUTCH receiver. We can bring him in for two years then go after a guy that we can groom with Holt. Trading Edwards would give us more flexability in the draft. Don't wait till it's too late to get something for Edwards.

hey its dacaddyman he'ssssss back

Guest John McClane
Nah.

I really don't know about this whole Edwards situation. Trade him, don't trade him. I'd sure the hell wouldn't give him a contract extension after last year but if we trade him then we're left with nothing at WR and wouldn't even touch Crabtree in the draft. O-line or any position on defense but no Crabtree.

Well if he lights it up next season you can bet we'll throw the franchise tag on him...

I agree.....but then I would be afraid nobody would take him and we might have to pay him

This year the tag numbers are 9.88 million to franchise.

I don't think the guy is worth that.

Guest Aloysius

According to the folks at the OBR, the Jets aren't expected to match the Browns' offer to Elam.

We'll have to wait a week to know for sure, but it sounds like Elam will be a Brown.

I know I shouldn't be optimistic, because it will hurt all the more when we come crashing down, but I am feeling good about next year. We are signing adequate players to fill in depth and holes. Not superstars, not above average players, but solid dependable players. Especially on defense, when you have everyone that is able to do their job, they will be good.

I agree. I think I've said this many times recently. The FO is addressing the teams depth and culture. Instead of making a large splash that makes fans feel good about what they're doing because they media is talking about the big moves.

Savage was supposed to be a draft guy but he continued to build too often in FA. High priced "stars" don't make teams. A team is built by bringing in your own young talent via the draft. THAT is how you maximize return on contracts. Your stud 3rd or 4th rounder plays for 4 years on a rookie contract and earns his second "pro/real" contract. Why sit and wait for that same 4th rounder to earn his second contract, sign him to your team in FA, and then pay the big bucks without benefiting from the early part of his career. That is how good teams use their money and build through the draft.

According to the folks at the OBR, the Jets aren't expected to match the Browns' offer to Elam.

We'll have to wait a week to know for sure, but it sounds like Elam will be a Brown.

They said that Cleveland guaranteed the entire $1.5 million of the contract and the Jets have already signed Leonhard

Why on God's Green earth would we trade Edwards? He is an absolutely talented receiver, whose value is down right now because of a nightmare season. We are paper thin at receiver and this is guy is a bonafide stud. You don't trade a guy like this when his stock is down. He's going to bounce back, let him bounce back with us.

I agree all the signings are good. I have no problem with all of the signings so far, I know why they bring a guy like Poteet in ... but if he gets beat out, that's even a better thing.

Elam would be a terrific signing, I like him a lot.

Trading Edwards is akin to smoking crack though, IMO.

Zombo

I dunno zombo BE was somewhat a stud in 2007 but he was a complete bust last year i call that unstable inconsistency a stud always finds a way to make it happen BE manages to find ways to make it not happen..his trade value is very poor so letting him stay and hoping he ups his own value for next year may be the only logical option..

We've been so bad as of late the only thing we have to hope for is the next guy coming in and cleaning up the current guy's mess.

Be honest with me here, how many of us are SURE Eric is the right coach this time? I'm not.

Everything I've sen him do to this point feels like a step in the right direction, but right now it's feeling more like getting BB from the Giants with him brining in "his guys" and trading away what talent we've already got for more picks to get more of the kinds of guys he likes.

Yet part of me still latches on to that hope that we're going to get it right this time.

If it weren't for fond childhood memories of the 80s I'd probably not give a damn at all right now. We're losing the younger generation and THAT is a crying shame. If this next combo doesn't work out I'll be right there with Rich and Ghoolie saying Learner has got to go, give me something other than a young Al Davis.

Whether or not I'm sure doesn't matter. The guy just got hired, and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon whether I like it or not. That's why I choose to be optimistic. I can't control it, so I might as well not cause my self suffering about the team before I have to.

The Browns signed his offer on March 10th in the morning (think it was reported around 9AM).

Today being exactly 7 days after the offer sheet was official...shouldn't we hear or have heard about the Jet's decision to match or not?

rotoworld reported the news at around 9 PM, so we'll likely have to wait all day. however, with the packers matching an offer sheet about three days into their seven in a similar situation, i'd say there's a good chance we'll end up with elam. if the jets had really wanted him, they'd have matched our sheet by now.

Thanks. I remembered the 9 part but thought it was in the morning. Good call. I can't wait to hear.

I think Elam is a hard nosed player that would help us bring some intensity to the D. PLUS we need a safety even if it's for depth!

Elam is a great special teamer. He's a solid backup at SS, which we lacked for a few years. Adams is a solid backup FS and special teams player but we suffered when Jones was down because he isn't a SS. Sorenson is a combo guy but not a big hitter or very good in coverage. He's basically just a special teamer.

We still need an enforcer to play in the box. As much as he has been dissed on this board, William Moore had a great pro day is is being labeled as a riser on many boards. He actually impressed some scouts and coaches enough to consider him as a FS also. He did play FS and SS as a soph.

I'm seeing draft rankings with Moore and Delmas ranked pretty even with Chung close behind them and Chip Vaughn gaining ground. Delmas is being projected as bottom or first and top of second , Moore as top of second and Chung as a second rounder.

I would take Elam and any of them.

We've been so bad as of late the only thing we have to hope for is the next guy coming in and cleaning up the current guy's mess.

Be honest with me here, how many of us are SURE Eric is the right coach this time? I'm not.

Everything I've sen him do to this point feels like a step in the right direction, but right now it's feeling more like getting BB from the Giants with him brining in "his guys" and trading away what talent we've already got for more picks to get more of the kinds of guys he likes.

Yet part of me still latches on to that hope that we're going to get it right this time.

If it weren't for fond childhood memories of the 80s I'd probably not give a damn at all right now. We're losing the younger generation and THAT is a crying shame. If this next combo doesn't work out I'll be right there with Rich and Ghoolie saying Learner has got to go, give me something other than a young Al Davis.

The Browns must realize this too. Those who have the fond memories can only try to convince the youth that the Browns can turn it around. Eventually its the youth that will be buying the tickets.

The Browns must realize this too. Those who have the fond memories can only try to convince the youth that the Browns can turn it around. Eventually its the youth that will be buying the tickets.

I guess that's the point I was trying to get at.

Thanks for making it is not as many words, people might not understand, guess I didn't sum it up as well as I'd have hoped to.

Archived