THE BROWNS BOARD

Abram Elam

Guest mz.

Jets matched the Browns' one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet to S Abram Elam, ensuring that Elam will play in New York in 2009.

Elam will likely back up Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes, but he flashed big play ability as a starter last year with three forced fumbles, a 92-yard pick six, and two sacks. He'll battle Eric Smith in camp to be the Jets' third safety.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Related: Browns

Looks like we're desperate for a SS now. If we don't draft one with one of our first 3 picks (most likely our second unless they see Jenkins is worth #5 for a safety which I doubt). That is a position I wouldn't feel too great about throwing a 2nd round rookie into. As of now...we're NOT in good shape. Too many major holes to try to fill to be competitive (RT, RB, WR, C, SS, OLB, ILB, DE).

We must not have liked him enough since we only offered 1.5 mil. That isn't necessarily starter money. I'm not happy having missed out on him and there being nobody else in FA. I was never sold on Jones. He was usual seen throwing his hands up in disgust, looking for someone to blame for the secondary being beat deep or on a TD. Quite often, he was one of the guys beat. However, letting him walk and going into the draft hoping to land a starter is iffy. Especially with holes at practically every position.

We must not have liked him enough since we only offered 1.5 mil. That isn't necessarily starter money. I'm not happy having missed out on him and there being nobody else in FA. I was never sold on Jones. He was usual seen throwing his hands up in disgust, looking for someone to blame for the secondary being beat deep or on a TD. Quite often, he was one of the guys beat. However, letting him walk and going into the draft hoping to land a starter is iffy. Especially with holes at practically every position.

You can only offer a backup so much guaranteed money. I don't think you over pay average players just because you have a hole. Same goes for Jones. We got into this mess by overpaying guys because we had needs.

I don't see anybody in FA that could help at SS so I think it is now very important to find a way to get additional picks. They have to trade Anderson and/or trade down if they want to fill those pressing needs at Center, SS, WR and OLB.

Elam made a couple of big plays for us last year but thats basically all he was good for. He made the occassional big play.

1. 92 yard INT return for TD against Buffalo.

2. Strip sack fumble on Marc Bulger returned for TD by Calvin Pace.

3. Strip sack fumble on J.P Losman returned for TD by Ellis (Saved the Jets season at the time and kept themin the drivers seat in the AFC East).

Other then those 3 big plays though the guy didnt do much. He has some potential and the right coach could get it out of him. He's an average player at best.

Hank Poteat is a solid signing. He was a fan favorite amongst Jet fans. He's nothing special but he does his job. A solid number 3 or 4 CB.

Eric Barton is a tackling machine. I think you guys will like him. He's a pretty good player.

CJ Mosley is a solid backup D-Lineman. Nothing special but he is capable.

David Bowens is a solid versitile LB who can play both inside and outside at LB in the 3-4. He's a good depth player. Another guy who got off to a very good start last year before the blitzing just stopped.

Just throwing my thoughts in on some of the Jets players that you guys have signed.

Guest Aloysius
I don't see anybody in FA that could help at SS so I think it is now very important to find a way to get additional picks. They have to trade Anderson and/or trade down if they want to fill those pressing needs at Center, SS, WR and OLB.

According to the guys at the OBR, Mangini has been talking to Lawyer Milloy about possibly joining the team.

According to the guys at the OBR, Mangini has been talking to Lawyer Milloy about possibly joining the team.

Yep, that would be a nice stopgap. You got to keep in mind also, Pool is one concussion away from retirement. Mailloy would be great then you wouldn't have to go after one of the top SSs, you could wait and get a Chip Vaughn. Now, depending on how many picks we can accumulate, I might still go after one of the top three. As much as we differ in opinion about him, Moore had a great pro day. Some scouts and coaches have said he has the agility to play FS in the NFL.

Bottom line, we need to trade down and trade Anderson. I have friends that live in Jax. They are telling me that rumors are they love Crabtree and are afraid Cincy will take him. Could be a partner.

Since the Jets matched Elam, I'd love to see this happen. A good veteran presence in the secondary.

Zombo

No Roy Williams. The guy is basically another LB now. He is slow and can't cover. That's why he wants to play in a 4-3 now. The 4-3 relies less on cover skills and he'd be utilized more for his strong hits.

Lawyor Milloy is also garbage. Not a chance.

Looks like Mike Brown may be one of our only FA options left.

Otherwise we're banking on the draft (like the hard nosed Chung in round 2) or pushing Cribbs into that roll...

I'd rather see Roy Williams...

I think the idea with Malloy would be a veteran dime back who could add some thump on the run d occasionally ... not a starter.

Williams is gonna want big-time starter money, I don't think were writing big checks to decent players past their prime any more.

I'm sure they are looking at Malloy as a role player and he would be paid like one.

Zombo

I remember quite a few times Sean Jones would be on tv throwing his hands up as if in confusion or yellin at someone for blowing coverage and it turned out to be him... so I figured thow out the fact that Roy couldn't cover spilled milk and let the man play up in the box and help in the run...

I remember quite a few times Sean Jones would be on tv throwing his hands up as if in confusion or yellin at someone for blowing coverage and it turned out to be him... so I figured thow out the fact that Roy couldn't cover spilled milk and let the man play up in the box and help in the run...

Ugh. Exactly! That was so annoying to watch. He never took the blame for those mistake. People tend to think because they saw him upset and looking around for Wright, Bmac, or Pool that it was not his fault. When you saw him angry like that it was because he knew he screwed up. Poor poker face.

This attitude may have had a large roll in him not being brought back. Those DBs have to trust each other. It sure didn't appear that he was upset with himself on these plays.

I agree. It wasn't that Jones was a terrible SS by any means. He just had a major weakness and teams continually exploited it. You never know, a strong pass rush could have made him a terrific player, ya know?

It sux we dont get Elam but the jets have an abundance of safeties. Elam or Smith still may get cut when the jets slim the roster.

Milloy would be a horrible signing. Sure he was great and he does still play physical but he has no coverage skills left. Roy Williams would be a much better pick. Someone said hed be expensive but he was benched the last 2 seasons. We can probably sign him to a contract like Elam was offered and see if he will fit the system. If not he was a stop gap and hopefully we picked up a decent saftey in the draft.

Mike Brown would be a biit more expensive and covers better but he is always hurt. He also is a better fit for FS and I wouldnt be opposed to putting Pool at SS but I think Brown isnt worth the risk.

Giordondo(misspelled badly I know) seems like the best option he can split time with a rookie who hopefully takes the position. Plus he should be fairly cheap.

It sux we dont get Elam but the jets have an abundance of safeties. Elam or Smith still may get cut when the jets slim the roster.

Milloy would be a horrible signing. Sure he was great and he does still play physical but he has no coverage skills left. Roy Williams would be a much better pick. Someone said hed be expensive but he was benched the last 2 seasons. We can probably sign him to a contract like Elam was offered and see if he will fit the system. If not he was a stop gap and hopefully we picked up a decent saftey in the draft.

Mike Brown would be a biit more expensive and covers better but he is always hurt. He also is a better fit for FS and I wouldnt be opposed to putting Pool at SS but I think Brown isnt worth the risk.

Giordondo(misspelled badly I know) seems like the best option he can split time with a rookie who hopefully takes the position. Plus he should be fairly cheap.

I would definately be opposed to putting Adams at SS. He is a special teams player and a backup at FS. He showed last year he couldn't handle SS. I'd rather give Hamza Abdullah a shot before Adams. Ultimately we need to use a 2nd round pick on a SS. Some don't realize the hugh importance that a SS is in the 3-4 defensive scheme.

• 1 month later...

So who is Abram Elam?

Abram Elam #27 S

2008 STATS

TACK FF INT

69 3 1

Birth Date October 15, 1981

Birth Place

Height 6-0

Weight 207 lbs.

Age 27

Position S

Experience 4 years

College Kent State

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 58 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Elam is a second-year player who has good size and above-average athletic ability. He plays off the hash or up in the box because the Jets like to disguise their coverages with lots of movement by their safeties. He has an average peddle and appears to have just an above-average burst to close off the hash. He is at his best coming downhill as a run-support defender. He doesn't have great lateral agility or quickness and will overextend at times in space. He has good power and pop on contact and is a sure tackler in a restricted area. Elam is a solid reactor reading route progressions and leveraging receivers. He is effective in short and intermediate-zone coverages, but can be a liability in pure man schemes. He needs to develop his blitz moves and counters because the Jets like to put eight in the box and bring pressure. He appears to be somewhat one-dimensional because he rarely makes many plays in the passing game. Elam must continue to develop and expand his overall game to be a consistent contributor.

So who is Abram Elam?

Abram Elam #27 S

2008 STATS

TACK FF INT

69 3 1

Birth Date October 15, 1981

Birth Place

Height 6-0

Weight 207 lbs.

Age 27

Position S

Experience 4 years

College Kent State

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 58 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Elam is a second-year player who has good size and above-average athletic ability. He plays off the hash or up in the box because the Jets like to disguise their coverages with lots of movement by their safeties. He has an average peddle and appears to have just an above-average burst to close off the hash. He is at his best coming downhill as a run-support defender. He doesn't have great lateral agility or quickness and will overextend at times in space. He has good power and pop on contact and is a sure tackler in a restricted area. Elam is a solid reactor reading route progressions and leveraging receivers. He is effective in short and intermediate-zone coverages, but can be a liability in pure man schemes. He needs to develop his blitz moves and counters because the Jets like to put eight in the box and bring pressure. He appears to be somewhat one-dimensional because he rarely makes many plays in the passing game. Elam must continue to develop and expand his overall game to be a consistent contributor.

I love this guy. Run support, baby.

Zombo

Archived