THE BROWNS BOARD

DA is just one component in a TEAM game.

osusev

injuries to TUCKER, VICKERS, STEINBACH (4TH) QUARTER, STALLWORTH, BE constant every game drops are all MAJOR problems. Does Jamal run hard? Yes but his run stats are not good 66 yds per game average and 3 tds?

We are 27th ranked in rushing offense 28th against the rush and 24th in total yds allowed per game.

You cant win in the NFL if you cant run or stop the run plain and simple. Our key offensive line and fullback injuries today plus skill players is our formula for not winning.

Guest Masters

Let me just say this, for most years, what was Peyton's INDY D against the run?

Giving up points is what matters. And in 3 of the 5 losses, the D gave up a more than few enough amount of points for DA and CLE to win.

osusev, u make it sound like the QB spot isn't anymore important than a special teams spot. Why do u think those guys slinging the ball get the big contracts? I know its a team sport, but the qb is running the offense out there and if he ain't functioning, the offense ain't functioning.

We lost for two simple reasons

Horrible play calling ( lets run on first and secound on the best run defense and have 3rd and long all day long)

DA crumbles underpressure, and now I am saying it DA is a choke artists!!!

This is what the Browns are best at, make you think they are gonna do something only to fail completely, frankly I'm tired of it.

Isn't it strange that, in this 'team' game, when the QB plays like shit, the TEAM usually loses?

Tell me how the QB isn't important, and then look at the effect of having a decent to good QB has on the effects of MIA and BUF. Show me how losing your GOOD QB to an injury affects DAL and NE.

No other position is AS important. No other position has as much effect on the team success. You can lose a WR or a tackle or a LB, and still win. If your QB is turning the ball over and not completing passes, you're almost assured of losing.

Does Derek go as the team goes (ie he's a victim?). If so, he's not starting QB material - a starter needs to lead and overcome poor play at other positions.

Or does the team go as Derek goes.

Either way, I'm don't want him as the long term solution.

When will this DA madness stop? It's incredible the lengths people go to defend this guy. It really makes ZERO sense at this point.

Yes, football is a team game but COMPLETING PASSES IS SOLELY ON THE QB.

DA does not do that fundamental job very well. He simply does not complete enough passes to sustain drives.

Do you want to know why our D gets gashed by the run? Because they are on the field ALL THE TIME.

And they're just not good enough yet to make the big play to get off the field. Our coaches know that, which is why we play bend-don't-break D.

Which means having an offense that AT LEAST gets a few first downs each drive is CRUCIAL to the D's success. Therefore, having a QB who can complete more than 50% of his passes is ESSENTIAL to the O.

DA isn't that guy.

By the way, Jamal Lewis is slowing down big-time and his lack of burst is hurting the O. So answer me this:

If we had Chris Johnson or Matt Forte or Tim Hightower or Kevin Smith sitting on the bench, would you be okay with that too?

By the way, Jamal Lewis is slowing down big-time and his lack of burst is hurting the O. So answer me this:

If we had Chris Johnson or Matt Forte or Tim Hightower or Kevin Smith sitting on the bench, would you be okay with that too?

Jamal looked fast at times last week, but I can see his decrease in speed even on TV.

To answer your question: No, I wouldn't be OK with that. Actually we have Wright and Harrison on the bench and I'm not ok with them never being used.

Guest ATENEARS

We had ONE Rushing First Down Today .... one .... it came in the second quarter. Despite being ahead by TWO Touchdowns, where you all tell me that Jamal doesn't have great stats because we are always playing from behind ... we failed to move the chains on the ground despite the lead.

Meanwhile Rice had 154 yrds on 23 carries for a 7.3 average and you guys want to pin the blame on the QB? Mason had 9 catches for 136 yrds and Clayton 4 catches for 87 yards and Flacco had a 109 QB rating, and you guys want to blame our QB?

Jamal is not a speed back, he is a power back but we were playing the Ravens today. We shouldnt have been running the ball except maybe 10 times, just enough to say we did. Their secondary was banged up but yet we are running on 1st and 2nd against the best run defense, ofcourse Jamal is going to look bad. We should have spread things out and made that defense chase our receivers and tightends all day long. Horrible game plan, its not just DA its the coaches as well. Weather that is due to lack of confidence in DA or they are just that inept I dont know but game management has been horrible. Dont get me wrong DA is a huge factor, he cannot handle pressure what so ever. Down 3 with 3 minutes left, you drive down the field and win the game, that simple, you dont throw an interception. Why the hell did we have a screen called on that play anyway, we know DA cant handle only throwing the ball for 5 yards. I would love to know is completion % on 5 yards or less, I bet it is the worst in the league.

Ate, there is no doubt that Lewis has lost his burst. He's a tough, crafty vet now. He should be our Jerome Bettis, our LenDale White and Harrison should be our Parker, our Johnson. There is no doubt our running game is hurting.

And our run D is suspect. We lack impact linemen other than The BEAST and our LBs suck.

But you know what makes those things better? Points. And long drives. Fueled by pass completions.

Which we aren't getting from DA.

So, much like we need to see more Wright/Harrison and more Heiden with Winslow we need to see more completions and more drives and more first downs.

DA obviously can't get it done. Enough already.

Guest Masters
We had ONE Rushing First Down Today .... one .... it came in the second quarter. Despite being ahead by TWO Touchdowns, where you all tell me that Jamal doesn't have great stats because we are always playing from behind ... we failed to move the chains on the ground despite the lead.

Meanwhile Rice had 154 yrds on 23 carries for a 7.3 average and you guys want to pin the blame on the QB? Mason had 9 catches for 136 yrds and Clayton 4 catches for 87 yards and Flacco had a 109 QB rating, and you guys want to blame our QB?

Let me remind you that BALT is the #1 rush D in the league, giving up only 64 yards a game and a 2.8y/c average. So CLE today pretty much did what EVERY TEAM THAT HAS FACED BALTS D HAS DONE.

How does a rookie starter show more poise and make less mistakes than a guy with 20+ starts and his second year in a system?

Look, CLE lost because of a lot of reasons today. But that does not absolve DA of the blame he deserves. Pick 6 with the game on the line and completing less than half of his passes with both starting CBs out for the other team is inexcuseable.

Guest Masters

I think history will judge him in the Jim Everett area.

Or Tommy Maddox, in more ways than one I guess.

Scott Mitchell

And one more thing for defending DA, lets all not forget that one of the TDs on the board was a Cribbs return and another was pick that few WR could have taken away from a DB.

This is becoming a sort of DA religion war and I don't think that's right.

Yes, the QB is just one eleventh of the offense. But he handles the ball on every snap and at least half of those snaps are for passes. Just because of that he cannot be considered one eleventh of the team.

Look at the Falcons. They have a rookie at the helm and they don't have a better team than the Browns.

Guest ATENEARS
This is becoming a sort of DA religion war and I don't think that's right.

Yes, the QB is just one eleventh of the offense. But he handles the ball on every snap and at least half of those snaps are for passes. Just because of that he cannot be considered one eleventh of the team.

Look at the Falcons. They have a rookie at the helm and they don't have a better team than the Browns.

Yes, look at Atlanta!!!!! LOL, the #1 Rushing team in the League ... yes, look to them and scratch head as to why their QB gets pimped for having a less completion percentage than Derek Anderson.

When will this DA madness stop? It's incredible the lengths people go to defend this guy. It really makes ZERO sense at this point.

Yes, football is a team game but COMPLETING PASSES IS SOLELY ON THE QB.

DA does not do that fundamental job very well. He simply does not complete enough passes to sustain drives.

Do you want to know why our D gets gashed by the run? Because they are on the field ALL THE TIME.

And they're just not good enough yet to make the big play to get off the field. Our coaches know that, which is why we play bend-don't-break D.

Which means having an offense that AT LEAST gets a few first downs each drive is CRUCIAL to the D's success. Therefore, having a QB who can complete more than 50% of his passes is ESSENTIAL to the O.

DA isn't that guy.

Dama you make way too much sense bro. I'm 100% with ya.

I like the argument of how much a qB gets paid is equivelent to his importance on the field. How much does Joe Thomas or Steinbach get paid?..........

Steinbach went out in the 4th.... Tucker did not play nor Vickers..... Blocking, blocking funny the busted screen play came from the left side.

If you have a 2 td lead and cant hold on to it because you cant run there for are forced to throw to who again? Oh yeah Winslow and droppsies Braylon. The defense is again not stretched because we have steptoe as our number two.

You people are so fixated on anger and criticism of DA even though for most of the game he had a pretty good first half and third quarter WITHOUT the benefit of a rushing game or another legitimate wide reciever.

Yes the QB has a different value than say a blocking fb like a queen on a chess board versus a pawn. If you take away the pawn on a chess board from one team and say a rook plus a knight all on oneside the tactics and balance shift toward favoring the other team.

We need to be able to run the ball and at least slow down the run for clock management (fatigue), we need to be able to block for the run and pass (steinbach and tucker, vickers) and you need people to catch the ball or relieve and open up the field to the pressure defenses put on be and kw.

7tds and 2 ints in 5 games is not bad production. You cant lay all of our woes on just DA and call for his head because you think the game is that simple.

the more we lose, the stupider everyone gets.....

someone misses an assignment...its DA's fault.

someone drops a ball.....DA's fault.

defense can't stop a child on a tricycle....DA's fault.

coaches haven't graduated past highschool schemes....DA's fault.

i came here to get some sports analysis....im seemingly in the wrong place.

Ok what is it about a screen do you not understand? They are suppose to let the rush in, there was no missed block just a throw to the defender because DA cant handle any pressure, that simple. DA blew that game and did not have the great game you guys want to act like he did. He was saved an int for a TD, cribbs was sitting him up with great field position and when playing calling put him in behind situations he crumbled. That simple, DA is not the QB we all wanted him to be, time to move on.

Guest ATENEARS
.... because DA cant handle any pressure, that simple. DA blew that game and did not have the great game you guys want to act like he did.

You mean that DA can't handle this kind of pressure (at mid game never the less):

Down 10-7

Anderson is 5-of-6 for 61 yards in a 11-play Drive that is capped by a Dawson Field goal to tie the score at 10-10.

Raven's take lead with FG of their own and are up 10-13.

Anderson gets the ball back with 00:25 before the half and nails two straight passes, netting 30-yards and Dawson ties the score again at 13-13 with a 54-yard field goal at the half.

Cribbs gets us good field position on a 30+ punt return, and Anderson goes to work immediately with a 28-yard TD pass as Edwards wrestles it from coverage. Putting us up 20-13.

We get the ball back again and Anderson goes 3-of-3 for 45 yards on the 8-play 72-yard drive to increase our lead to 14 (27-13).

He was 11-of-14 for 164 yards with 2 TD's & 2 FG drives in those come from behind/tie game/take a 14 point lead/ drives. Were those not pressure drives enough to be given any credit?

Add in Cribbs Punt Return for a score, and you mean to tell me that the Defense played up to this calibre at any time during that game?

The Defense was the weak link.

No of course those things are not factored in Ate, because even in this Team game with muli million dollar components only DA is to be blamed. Some Fans dont understand why a QB without a Defense last year led us to potent offense that had to score almost everytime because our D got 10 wins, the best home game record in franchise history, 30+ total tds 3700 yds as a first year starter is still playing.

They dont see that BE and his problems gives us only ONE consistent reciever KW, The multiple injuries puts 3rd string and cut players into the starting linup at skill spots the QB has to rely on. JJ, and Stallworth gone along with Be who drops constantly might give a qb a problem. They dont see that JL and our o line has not done very good on running the ball putting too much pressure on our already depleted skill players on the passing part of our offense.

No DA cant handle the pressure of 60k fans who boo him on a regular basis and chant brady along with the media. Coming back from deficits etc.

Is he perfect? NOT BY A LONG SHOT but again this is a complicated game that SEEMS simple. The instant shots of every formation that is played and then printed for review on the opposing sidelines along with the MIllions of dollars in coaching and support staff must all be EASY and simple as replacing a QB.

So there is pressure in moving the ball 30 yards? Come on, Cribbs got everybody rev'd up and DA came in and threw a couple of passes. The guy does look good on some plays I might add, he isnt starting with out some reason. He does look good in some instances, like the Giants game, and really really bad in others, if everything is going right and the weight of the game isnt on his shoulders he can play. But if you want him to come behind in crunch time you are going to be sorely upset, because he is incapable of doing it.

Oh yea, and about the defense just a few days ago everybody was happy with the growth of the Defense, now they are a bunch of bums who cant stop anybody. Well I got news for you, because the offense went 3 and out 5 straight times is the reason the defense fell apart. We all know that Shaun Rogers is the reason this defense plays well when it does. And the defense did look good in the first half when we was able to move the ball and let the defense rest. But when Rogers is on the field constanly for the 3rd and 4th quarters you get what we got. No secondary can cover NFL recievers with unlimited amount of time. We had no pass rush and that is a direct result of not getting our defense off the field.

Guest ATENEARS
So there is pressure in moving the ball 30 yards?

No, maybe you missed the part that he was 11-of-14 for 164 yards with 2 TD's in four consecutive drives where his offense tied the score twice, and took the lead and then increased it to a 14-point margin. 30 can be divided into 164 five times though, if you wish to look at it in those increments.

Come on, Cribbs got everybody rev'd up and DA came in and threw a couple of passes.

Actually you are wrong. Cribbs took one to the house requiring no passes and the other good return he left it at the 28 yard line and it only took the offense ONE pass to turn that one into 6-points. But it was the other 10-of-13 for 136 in three other come from behind drives, including one getting the ball back with 00:25 that you may have trouble discounting as not pressure packed.

if everything is going right and the weight of the game isnt on his shoulders he can play. But if you want him to come behind in crunch time you are going to be sorely upset, because he is incapable of doing it.

Why would he be blamed for 17 unanswered points where we forced the run on first and second down and our defense rolled over like Paris Hilton?

He should have never been in that position. The fact that he was is because the defense didn't feed off of Cribbs returns and the Offense success and they laid an egg in giving up the big plays and the tying, go-ahead scores ... they must handle pressure better huh?

Archived