THE BROWNS BOARD

TE Jeff Heuerman tears ACL

WalterWhite

Thought Mort on ESPN summed it up pretty well yesterday. They moved the draft back, which mean all these rookies yes they can train, but none of them have been put in a game or practice situation in a very long time for on field actions... This Buckeye will bounce back cleanly with just hard work, Good Luck Jeff, One tuff Nut...

Thought Mort on ESPN summed it up pretty well yesterday. They moved the draft back, which mean all these rookies yes they can train, but none of them have been put in a game or practice situation in a very long time for on field actions... This Buckeye will bounce back cleanly with just hard work, Good Luck Jeff, One tuff Nut...

Yep, no other logical reason for two torn ACLs in the same week.

Broncos 3rd round pick from Ohio State.

They are dropping like fly's :(

User Actions

Rookie TE Jeff Heuerman (3rd-Rd pick) tore his ACL in Saturday afternoon practice & is expected to miss season: [http://dbron.co/6pf ]

Oh man, that really sucks for Heuerman. That poor kid battled a nagging injury most of last year, which ultimately had a big impact on where he was drafted. As for Denver's side of it all, welcome to our world with injuries that blind side your plans ponies!

I HATE it when teams I can't stand draft college kids I either appreciated or became intrigued with. Happens way more than I'd like it to.

i think the moment these guys stop training is the moment they open themselves up to injury. most of these 'fluke' injuries are torn ACLs. don't know if it's due to a new field condition these guys have never played on before or what but man, that sucks for the player and the team.

i think the moment these guys stop training is the moment they open themselves up to injury. most of these 'fluke' injuries are torn ACLs. don't know if it's due to a new field condition these guys have never played on before or what but man, that sucks for the player and the team.

That could very well be -or- maybe the reality that guys going right from college to pro never allow their bodies to rest and recuperate from their final season. There's not much time between the senior bowl and college all star games and the Combines where they have to showcase ideal fitness numbers that often dictates where they get slotted/picked overall.

Back in 97 and 98, when I volunteered 2 mornings per week to the TB Bucs off season program - their Head Strength and Conditioning Coach used to emphasize the importance of at least some time off for every body. He reminded their grind begins the day their offseason program starts and they never stop lifting throughout the entire season, inclusive of playoffs going up through January. You add that with all the pounding NFL contact puts on their bodies; and it's easy to understand why a temporary break from it all is necessary. It's also why rookies that go through an extensive strength and conditioning program in prep for the combines and pro days 1-2 months later are prone to hitting the wall much sooner than vets.

That could very well be -or- maybe the reality that guys going right from college to pro never allow their bodies to rest and recuperate from their final season. There's not much time between the senior bowl and college all star games and the Combines where they have to showcase ideal fitness numbers that often dictates where they get slotted/picked overall.

Back in 97 and 98, when I volunteered 2 mornings per week to the TB Bucs off season program - their Head Strength and Conditioning Coach used to emphasize the importance of at least some time off for every body. He reminded their grind begins the day their offseason program starts and they never stop lifting throughout the entire season, inclusive of playoffs going up through January. You add that with all the pounding NFL contact puts on their bodies; and it's easy to understand why a temporary break from it all is necessary. It's also why rookies that go through an extensive strength and conditioning program in prep for the combines and pro days 1-2 months later are prone to hitting the wall much sooner than vets.

yeah. don't know. i'm sure there a lot smarter people that are hired to figure this out and it still happens. each person's body is different so what's good for one might not matter to the other.

yeah. don't know. i'm sure there a lot smarter people that are hired to figure this out and it still happens. each person's body is different so what's good for one might not matter to the other.

I hear ya. Can you imagine if one of these guys were in charge? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=analyze+this+first+thing+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=68CAA4534E35BA68C75A68CAA4534E35BA68C75A

This typically would happen to the Browns.....or any other Cleveland team (see Love/Irving/Shumpert injuries). All I can say is, if it is going to happen, better them than us. "We" have already had this sort of thing happen too many times.

ACL tears are impossible to predict - but I personally believe overdeveloped quads and underdeveloped hamstrings are to blame.

This. If someone has hamstring issues or strength imbalances that aren't proportionate with the rest of the leg, your knee(s) will suffer for it. Good call.

Not following how a front to back thigh imbalance would increase the chance that a knee ligament would rupture...

Not following how a front to back thigh imbalance would increase the chance that a knee ligament would rupture...

Its not a definitive "this is the reason why" however, I do see many people that lack attention to the hamstrings.

As for how it could increase the chance? Pretty simple, your hammy's are a muscle group that basically have cross attachments on the back of your knees that aid in strength and stability.

The hamstrings are a dynamic stabilizer of the knee, working with the ACL to reduce shearing forces. If the hamstrings are weak as knee flexors, the ACL is then forced to absorb a disproportionate amount of the shearing forces on the knee. If the hamstrings are not properly developed and the shearing forces on the knee are too high, the result is usually a torn ACL. Leg curls are a great exercise for developing the hamstrings to assist in the reduction of shearing forces on the knee.

(I wish I could say that I had that knowledge floating around in my head, but I pulled it from this site.)

However, it echoes the sentiment that I've always held ever since I tore my ACL years ago - underdeveloped hamstrings (as a direct result of poorly designed strength training regimens) are a very large contributor to ACL injuries.

Extremely generally - Many strength training programs, especially in high school and lower-level colleges, only focus on traditional "push" exercises - squats, leg press, leg extensions, etc. The reason for this is that football is generally a "push" sport.

Many hamstring exercises are not "push" exercises, they are "pull" exercises. Further, many of the strength programs that do focus on hamstring exercises just slap on a "4x12 leg curl" set of instructions - so athletes just crank out a four sets of poorly executed leg curls and then move on to the bench, or squat, or any other "high profile" exercise. In truth, the best hamstring exercises are controlled negatives.

I went for the short and sweet response. My bad.

It's the thought that counts....

Many hamstring exercises are not "push" exercises, they are "pull" exercises. Further, many of the strength programs that do focus on hamstring exercises just slap on a "4x12 leg curl" set of instructions - so athletes just crank out a four sets of poorly executed leg curls and then move on to the bench, or squat, or any other "high profile" exercise. In truth, the best hamstring exercises are controlled negatives.

So basically for the hammies you roll over and lay on a bench face down locking your heels under the upper leg curl bar? Always wondered what that was for... ;)

It's the thought that counts....

So basically for the hammies you roll over and lay on a bench face down locking your heels under the upper leg curl bar? Always wondered what that was for... ;)

Try that one at the gym next time and see if it doesn't end up on the Internet, haha.

Archived