THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is your favorite football announcer/commentator?

WalterWhite

The Best: Gus Johnson (he can make a 2 yard run so dramatic and awesome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPamV6LsV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTV-uUkXTbw

The Worst: Chris Collinswoth (he's just an annoying cornball)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkDOGk1-NTA

I still think the best duo was the Pat Summerall/John Madden booth duo on Fox in the mid 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgaPmoIsOA

al michaels has lost his mind and just rambles. collinsworth is a dolt.

i tell you who i'm really getting pissed at during this cavs run is mike tirico. everything is over-the-top and oh-my-god. i wish he saw something like that albeit it a piece of concrete falling onto his head.

I still think the best duo was the Pat Summerall/John Madden booth duo on Fox in the mid 90's

Summerall & Madden were together on CBS in the late '70's throughout the '80's and developed a pretty good chemistry together.

IMO, they were the best.

Everyone is going to hate everyone, so these discussions always kinda suck. I for one like Collinsworth a lot. He sees things others don't see and he's also a big time partner in the PFF operation.

I also love ole Gary Danielson because he similarly finds things others don't. I thought Greg McElroy also showed a lot of promise as a rookie calling games last season. He was phenomenal.

Can't stand Gus Johnson. He would be awesome on radio, but the schtick is excessive on TV.

Really miss Sumerall and Madden. They personified football. Gruden is my favorite because he calls out the refs and the unbearable amount of penalties. he always says to "let them play the game" so, yea, Gruden. Chris Collinsworth hates Cleveland and Al Michaels must have Alzheimer's. But Mike Mayock is really good on Thursdays.

I loved Curt Gowdy & Al deRogatis, Pat Summerall & Tom Brookshier for the throwback classic guys.

Somebody mentioned Enberg & Olsen- they never put their pom poms down for Elway & Fouts. I always thought they were biased for the western NFL cities.

Today's tv play-by-play guys are too much into the hype, but I do like Troy Aikman & Gary Danielson as analysts. Mike Patrick on ESPN might be the best play-by-play guy now.

Gib Shanley painted the best picture for me on the radio. Jim Donovan never tells us where the ball is half the time, other than that he's fine.

I loved Curt Gowdy & Al deRogatis, Pat Summerall & Tom Brookshier for the throwback classic guys.

Somebody mentioned Enberg & Olsen- they never put their pom poms down for Elway & Fouts. I always thought they were biased for the western NFL cities.

Today's tv play-by-play guys are too much into the hype, but I do like Troy Aikman & Gary Danielson as analysts. Mike Patrick on ESPN might be the best play-by-play guy now.

Gib Shanley painted the best picture for me on the radio. Jim Donovan never tells us where the ball is half the time, other than that he's fine.

OMG- I was just going to put up a post voting Gowdy as the WORST of all time- and it's not even close. (Short of Myron Cope- who should have been doing Maypo commercials when Arnold Stang retired) 1\2 the time Curt didn't even know who in the hell was playing and his commentary sucked.

I'd vote for Enberg and Olsen as best. And I always enjoyed John Madden's commentary.

Agreed, I completely forgot how good he is with the Browns.

If you ever move out of the Buckeye State and listen to these other Hacks on NFL Ticket Browns Football is never the same with no Jim Donovan period.. Ernie Harwell still best ever in all sports..

Brokshier & Summerall were the best.

Both former players that went straight into the booth and drank their way across the USA ... but no one was better.

079_tom__brookshier-300x300.jpg

I always liked Dick Enberg and Merlin Olson.

Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden are fucking awful.

Me too w/ Enberg and Olson!

One guy that was nauseating was Dan Druff Dierdorf. Every time he'd brag about what he did back when telephones were wall mounted with a circular dial, Boomer's Esia's Son used to piss him off with perfectly timed smart ass.

Grew up on Jim Graner and Gib Shanley doing Browns games.

Since your question didn't limit it to NFL broadcasters you have to include Keith Jackson as a college football announcer.....not so much pro.

Another guy's voice associate with college was Lindsay Nelson.

Again, back in the day Ray Scott I think did all the Packers games on TV it seemed.

Sorry....but Doug Dieken is bad. He may know his stuff, but he is not articulate.

Musberger is much better as a play by play guy than he was as a studio host.

Gowdy probably was much better as a hunting and fishing announcer

Lynn Swann was probably the worst ever....he could seemingly hardly speak English.

But, the best duo.....I will go with Z and Summerall/Brookshire.

And you know what? When OJ gets out of jail I would like to see him do announcing again.....just for the pure irony/fun/ridiculousness of it.

You can't have a list of worst-ever without mentioning Myron Cope.

Dear bleeding Christ.

That screeching voice and the most non-objective commentary ever. Perhaps only equaled by the

Atlanta Braves broadcasters (Skip Carey, etc.) on the Superstation in the '90's. Incapable of acknowledging

a good play by the opposing team while waxing on and on and on over the must mundane and routine

plays by the home team.

In basketball, the best ever Joe Tate hands down.

I like Donovan a lot. Deacon blows. Michaels great. Nev Chandler, Summerall great names from the past.

The stark contrast between Bill Hillgrove and Myron Cope made the most entertaining pair ever...the cool, calm, professional play by play of Hillgrove, next to the wicky wacky Cope and his tirades...funny as fuck.

In baseball absolutely abhor Tom Hamilton, worst ever...the over the top exuberance, and his "oh the humanity" reactions...its eyeball rolling.

The best in baseball.. Vin Skully. Professional, cool, calm, and collected, Skully is the only announcer that can project the excitement of the game to the listener without having an orgasm like Hamilton.

That takes skill because its only baseball after all.

Grew up on Jim Graner and Gib Shanley doing Browns games.

Since your question didn't limit it to NFL broadcasters you have to include Keith Jackson as a college football announcer.....not so much pro.

Another guy's voice associate with college was Lindsay Nelson.

Again, back in the day Ray Scott I think did all the Packers games on TV it seemed.

Sorry....but Doug Dieken is bad. He may know his stuff, but he is not articulate.

Musberger is much better as a play by play guy than he was as a studio host.

Gowdy probably was much better as a hunting and fishing announcer

Lynn Swann was probably the worst ever....he could seemingly hardly speak English.

But, the best duo.....I will go with Z and Summerall/Brookshire.

And you know what? When OJ gets out of jail I would like to see him do announcing again.....just for the pure irony/fun/ridiculousness of it.

Maybe OJ can do some NASCAR

Dear bleeding Christ.

That screeching voice and the most non-objective commentary ever. Perhaps only equaled by the

Atlanta Braves broadcasters (Skip Carey, etc.) on the Superstation in the '90's. Incapable of acknowledging

a good play by the opposing team while waxing on and on and on over the must mundane and routine

plays by the home team.

Oh you're just mad Cope made fun of the browns a lot lol.

Seriously though, when Cope was the lead play by play guy yes, agree, a bit hard to take...but when Hillgrove started doing the play by play, Copes function became to add his 2 cents, like Deacon. Except Deacon is boring, Cope was hilarious, a looney tune.

Dear bleeding Christ.

plays by the home team.

^+1

Oh you're just mad Cope made fun of the browns a lot lol.

Seriously though, when Cope was the lead play by play guy yes, agree, a bit hard to take...but when Hillgrove started doing the play by play, Copes function became to add his 2 cents, like Deacon. Except Deacon is boring, Cope was hilarious, a looney tune.

Nope, Cope was horrible- except to Steeler Homers. Grating voice, and was pointed out before- homer city. Only surpassed in recent times by Dave Lapham of Bungle radio.

many good one's mentioned. left out was Bernie for preseason...i can take most nowadays. i am happy with Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots for professional weekly Browns calls on the tube. when we get them, i prefer them to dealing w the delay from radio to tv to have Jimmy D.

two I abhor are Dan fucking Dickdorf and Phuck Sucks...i mean Phil Simms. horribly biased, i will take no sound over either of those assholes.

Everyone is going to hate everyone, so these discussions always kinda suck. I for one like Collinsworth a lot.

Agree on both counts... I liked Summerall and Brookshire. Madden got old really fast.

My all-time favs...

Lead announcer: Keith Jackson. Bob Griese and Pat Haden were two of his better sidekicks. Have to give Ken Coleman an honorable mention for his Browns work in the 60's.

Color: Alex Karras... short on analysis, but long on humor. His brief stint on MNF was memorable if for no other reason than his "Otis Sistrunk: University of Mars" comment.

As for today...

Lead: Mike Patrick - loved his early SNF work with ESPN. Really good at baiting Theismann...

Color-wise: I don't think anyone comes close to Herbie these days.

Best pair? Lundquist and Danielson...

Archived