THE BROWNS BOARD

Texas teen whose heart stopped 20 minutes says he saw Jesus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One thing for sure anyone who has an experience not supported or not lining up with teachings of the the bible should be rejected out of hand."

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that one there.

It makes sense from one's viewpoint. I believe the bible to be the truth so any experience that contradicts that truth I would reject.

It makes sense from one's viewpoint. I believe the bible to be the truth so any experience that contradicts that truth I would reject.

And that kind of closed-minded world-view is something inherently wrong with a subset of religious people. Like Bill Nye and Ken Ham, when they were asked - "What would make you change your mind?" One response was "Evidence" and the other "Nothing." Guess which is which?

I realize there is biblical foundation to some very strange happenings. but I don't know that we can attribute every modern-day claim of speaking to God, or an angel or going to heaven while supposedly dead as proof of a Christian afterlife. I'm not saying that would be excluded, but those of us who grew up in a quasi Christian environment are naturally going to gravitate toward those stories. For example God has spoken directly to human beings as have angels right? Does that then mean that Joseph Smith was right?

WSS

And that kind of closed-minded world-view is something inherently wrong with a subset of religious people. Like Bill Nye and Ken Ham, when they were asked - "What would make you change your mind?" One response was "Evidence" and the other "Nothing." Guess which is which?

Aren't all the prophecies in the bible that have come true evidence?

Fulfilled Prophecy: Evidence for the Reliability of the Bible

http://www.reasons.org/articles/articles/fulfilled-prophecy-evidence-for-the-reliability-of-the-bible

"One thing for sure anyone who has an experience not supported or not lining up with teachings of the the bible should be rejected out of hand."

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that one there.

There are people today who have an experience such as they know God spoke to them or had some angel visitation and now have some new knowledge or revelation. When you tell them what they are saying contradicts the bible many will say they don't care they "know" God spoke to them. THIS is what gets people into trouble. I am all for somebody hearing from God, I believe it, but if what they are saying contradicts the teachings of the bible I know their revelation comes from another source. God will not contradict His own word.

And this is why you can't have reasoned debate with people who have a literal interpretation of the bible.

The Apostle Paul ran into the same "reasoning" centuries ago. Nothing has changed but technology, people are still the same.

1 Corinthians 2:14

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 1:18

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

22For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Guilty :) .

God says it, I believe it, that settles it.

And if you can't entertain the idea that the bible might in some way be wrong then there's no point even discussing it with you. As long as you're generally doing good, I don't hugely care how much you believe :)

And if you can't entertain the idea that the bible might in some way be wrong then there's no point even discussing it with you. As long as you're generally doing good, I don't hugely care how much you believe :)

True. As long as OBF isn't affecting public policy or anything, he's not too much of a worry.

The ideas he holds though, that is something to consider

Would you read the book I mentioned, Woody? I will mail it to you.

I appreciate you reaching out, and it's a nice gesture, but I probably wouldn't read it. I'm sure it is a fine book, but I've never been a big reader. Not long books like that at least. I'll google it though, maybe I'll get an eBook of it.

...as if public policy is doing so well today?

Anyone making decision based solely on the words of an old book would be much worse.

No, it isn't perfect today, but it is better than that. At least now we can entertain the idea of reasoning and scientific evidence.

OBF, how do you feel about the removal of books from the Bible that occurred under King James?

I believe God is in control. Like all the other prophecies that have been 100 percent correct God has promised to preserve His word. Isaiah 40:8...man's word is like grass it fades away, God's word is like Himself, it is eternal

I believe God is in control. Like all the other prophecies that have been 100 percent correct God has promised to preserve His word. Isaiah 40:8...man's word is like grass it fades away, God's word is like Himself, it is eternal

But, if the bible is god's word, why has it been reduced? Is that not fading away? And what about the council that decided which gospels to include?

Of course, I assume the answer would be "god is working through those people who have the authority to remove books from the bible and so his word is maintained" - yes?

So the books of the Bible that were there before were not the word of God? Because by that logic it would mean that God let people read and believe the wrong stuff until King James came along to remove the items he wanted removed.

So the books of the Bible that were there before were not the word of God? Because by that logic it would mean that God let people read and believe the wrong stuff until King James came along to remove the items he wanted removed.

Hey, that was my next question ;)

I will give you my limited view. In the Old Testament for example the KJV version removed some books that were considered historically correct but not inspired scripture. The Apostle Paul tells us there are going to be instances where believers will have to work out their own salvation. I decided the issue by getting a Jewish bible and made the decision to follow that as that was their covenant. The Jewish bible did follow the KJV with the same books only arranged in a different order. Now for those who believed those books did it hurt anything? No. Did those books explain the way of salvation, No. Were they historically correct, Yes.

Faith and unbelief do not mix well.

Archived