THE BROWNS BOARD

Epic Chokes

The Gipper

They are talking about the Epic Choke that the LA Clippers pulled this past week against the Houston Rockets. So, I thought, why not poll the group about some of the epic chokes that you all can recall.

Here are a few of my personal Epic Chokes:

#. Cleveland Indians choke away a 3-1 series lead to the Red Sox in the 2007 ALCS.

@ Cleveland Indians choke away a 9th inning lead in the 7th game of the 1997 World Series.

* Cleveland Browns choke away their best chance to go to a Super Bowl by allowing John Elway to go 98 yards in The Drive game in the 1986 AFC Championship game.

& Cleveland Browns choke away a 17 point lead in the 2002 playoffs vs. Pittsburgh because the coach calls for the prevent defense to be played in the middle of the 3rd quarter, plus Northcutt plays dropsys when a catch would have won the game.

$ In Cleveland's favor, NY Jets choke away a 10 pt. lead with less than 5 minutes to play vs. Browns in that same 1986 playoff year.

# Red Right 88. Browns choke away playoff game vs. Raiders by calling stupid play and executing it poorly.

Other Non Cleveland Chokes:

Biggest perhaps in history: 2004 MLB playoffs, the Yankees blow a 3-0 series lead to Red Sox. In my opinion probably the biggest choke in US sports history. (some hockey series also had 3-0 leads blown....but they are not as Epic a choke as the Yankees....partly because it was the Yankees doing the choking)

Houston Oilers blow like 35 point lead to the Bills....who had to use their backup QB because Jim Kelly was out hurt.

Texas Rangers are one strike away from World Series win on two occasions....and choke the lead and the series away.

Feel free to contribute your own.

Philadelphia Phillies who had a 6 1/2 game lead with 11 games to play, and lost the division in 1964.

Seattle Mariners go 116-46, lose in ALCS, ouch.

Jean Van de Velde, British Open, collapsed on 18th hole 1999 and lost in playoff. I hate citing individuals. You are probably looking for team stuff; but this was truly sad to watch, all he needed was a double bogey to win.

Bengals allowing Joe Montana to drive the field and win 20-16 in a Super Bowl they had control of all along. Browns fans like me don't say this often, but Cincy was the best team that year.

I agree on all your Browns references, especially the Drive. Worst feeling I ever had being a Browns fan by far, outside of Art's move.

A few others:

Cubs.....chokers on two occasions....let a series lead fall apart in 1984 then about 20 years later the Bartman series.

Red Sox....another epic choker team....1978 lost like a 10 game lead with very few games left...then Bucky Dent blasts them out of the playoffs

Greg Norman, 1996 Masters blows a big lead

Jackie Smith drops a pass that may have given the Cowboys a SB win over the Steelers

Gary Anderson....1998 Vikings, misses a chip shot FG that would have sealed a win over the Falcons and put them in the Super Bowl....Atlanta comes back to win.

Ravens...2011? playoff. Billy Cundiff misses chip shot FG, then Lee Evans drops ball that would have won it for them.

I suspect some of the Brits could give us what are considered epic chokes in International soccer history. I am not up on the lore/history of all that.

Another couple: Tony Romo botches a snap of a FG in the playoffs that would have given the Cowboys a win

Olympics: a couple:

Dan Jansen falls on his ass when in the lead for a speedskating gold medal.

Mary Decker gets decked.

Lindsey Jacobellis...snowboard cross is about to win a gold, has a big lead, but about 100 feet from the finish line starts to hot dog it, and falls on her face and loses the gold.

J.R. Hildebrand was one turn away from winning the Indianapolis 500 in 2011. He hit the outside wall on Turn 4 and Dan Wheldon passed him to win the race.

Giants led 31-10 at home with just over eight minutes remaining in the game. The Eagles scored three straight touchdowns to tie the score. After the Eagles forced a punt DeSean Jackson returned Matt Dodge's punt for a touchdown as time expired to give the Eagles an improbable 38-31 win. The Eagles go to the playoffs while the Giants sit at home.

August 5, 2001

Seattle vs Cleveland

The Mariners choke on a 12 run lead. . .

The Cleveland Indians tied a major league record and became the first team in 76 years to overcome a 12-run deficit to win, defeating the Seattle Mariners 15-14 in 11 innings.

I Guarantee You Ernest Byner still see's nothing but Hole and Endzone in Denver.. Sorry Boys That One STILL Hurts :angry::mad:

The NY Knicks letting Reggie Miller score 8 points in 9 seconds to beat the Knicks in the Playoffs.

And John Starks missing 2 free throws in the same game

Dave Chappelle quits TV show and goes to Africa

was not a choke either. according to Chappelle it was prompted by execs demanding he dress in drag and do gay skits as well as pressure from oprah and a call from Barack just before his first election...black elitists felt he was bad negro roll model at the time--my words, not verbatim but same meaning.

The 2007 ALCS hurt my soul. Johnathon Papalbon was the reason we lost that series.

I'd also think our falling to Cincy last game of the regular season 2007 when all Crennel had to do was NOT let Anderson toss the ball 35+ times a game would also

rank up there for me.

The biggest choke I've ever seen in the playoffs live was Tony Romo botching the snap in the '06 wild card game. The Cowboys had a 19 yard FG to win the game and Romo just straight up mishandled a perfect snap.

Yea, that is a big choke,....almost as big as this:

deepthroats_lovelace+%252820%2529.gif

August 5, 2001

Seattle vs Cleveland

The Mariners choke on a 12 run lead. . .

The Cleveland Indians tied a major league record and became the first team in 76 years to overcome a 12-run deficit to win, defeating the Seattle Mariners 15-14 in 11 innings.

Just watched the last hour of this game on YouTube awesome!

Just watched the last hour of this game on YouTube awesome!

I was at the game, and wanted to leave.

My brother in law just ordered us another round, and convinced me to stay.

Glad I listened to him!

I was at the game, and wanted to leave.

My brother in law just ordered us another round, and convinced me to stay.

Glad I listened to him!

Oh man I know how that feels I've left soccer matches and missed lots of excitement in the past as well.

I bet the Jake was rocking!

Oh man I know how that feels I've left soccer matches and missed lots of excitement in the past as well.

I bet the Jake was rocking!

I was going to call you a soccer watching sissy, then you said 'The Jake' instead of the abomination 'Progressive Field'. Now? You're alright by me.

Archived