THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 Browns Board All Time All Player Draft

The Gipper

Here is something I am proposing to do on here: Do an All Time All player draft.

Here is how I propose for it to work: Instead of using the 32 NFL teams, we create 10-12 teams of our own. The first 9 or 11 other people that agree to participate will form their own team can make up their own name for that team. (I do not want more than that as it would be unwieldly). If more people want to "play" then I would suggest that you team up. Once we have all 12 in place, I will draw a lottery to determine draft order. I promise to do it honestly.

Then we will have a 6 round draft where any player skill player at the designated positions that has ever played in NFL history is eligible to be chosen! Each team must draft for the following positions:

1 QB

1 TE

1 RB

2 WRs

1 Wild card offensive skill player....another RB/FR/WR/TE...even a backup QB is you wish

This means, of course that you will have to keep track of what position you have picked and what you need.

So? Does anyone want to play? Teaming up might be good as, while right we will need a time clock on picks...I am not sure right now what that would but some of us may have gaps in our ability to be on here...and will need help.

My team will be known as The Gipper's Gorillaz

(if we decide to do this, then perhaps the admins can pin the thread)

It's a good idea, and I'll pin it for you if you get enough guys, but 24 rounds too much for me.

Zombo

That is why I say to do a whole team at each position. Once you are done with a position...you eliminate any further thought about that. Once you get your QB/RB etc. you are done with that slot....and can concentrate on the other positions.

Think of it this way: There will be only 12 QBs taken. 24 WRs. 12 or so RBs. It won't be so hard once you break it down by position.

That is why I say to do a whole team at each position. Once you are done with a position...you eliminate any further thought about that. Once you get your QB/RB etc. you are done with that slot....and can concentrate on the other positions.

Think of it this way: There will be only 12 QBs taken. 24 WRs. 12 or so RBs. It won't be so hard once you break it down by position.

No I like that part of it, I'm just not on-line enough to participate the whole way through.

Zombo

I'd have more interest in a current-players draft.

That would make it harder to find decent players at all positions.

Think about it.....we would need to draft 12 running backs. It would be hard to find 12 good RBs playing today....but if you could pick any one that ever played...the problem would be narrowing it down.

How about if we do it this way to make it easier: We will just start off with offensive skill players.

We will take 12 teams, and we will draft just the following positions (but we will do it from the pool of all players in history).

1 QB

1 RB

1 TE

2 WRs

1 Wildcard offensive skill player

That will just be 6 rounds....for a total of 72 players to be taken. Can we get a dozen takers now?

I'll play

It makes more sense with current players though. It would be more interesting and more relevant.

I mean... This will just create the "how good were the players in 1970 really?" argument. Gipper will draft players currently in retirement homes, and I'll draft current players. My team would crush his, clearly. But then there will be that debate

I'll play

It makes more sense with current players though. It would be more interesting and more relevant.

I mean... This will just create the "how good were the players in 1970 really?" argument. Gipper will draft players currently in retirement homes, and I'll draft current players. My team would crush his, clearly. But then there will be that debate

What is your team name?

And....you really know nothing. If we were drafting OL and DL etc.....given the weight training and nutrition the current OL/DL players would be bigger and stronger perhaps (but only if the older players were NOT given the same weight training).

But we are drafting now only skill players....and the skill of players has NOT been enhanced since days prior....so everything is equal. Jim Brown is still bigger, faster, stronger than any RB playing today. Bob Hayes is faster than any WR playing today. Johnny U. is every bit the precision passer as any QB playing today.

So...for your team....if you choose, you are welcome to choose only current day players. There is nothing stopping you from doing that.

Sure, I'd only draft players from the last decade. I assume that means they'd be in their prime?

Why no defensive players?

You didn't see the OP before I edited it. I was going to do a full 24 man roster draft.....but the consensus was that would be way too much to try to keep up on...and I figured that 24 rounds probably was too intimidating. So I truncated it to do just an Offensive skill position, 6 round draft to suit the requests.

Sure, I'd only draft players from the last decade. I assume that means they'd be in their prime?

Why no defensive players?

Also, everyone you are drafting you would consider to be "in their prime". I would imagine that you would draft someone based on how you felt they performed over their entire career. Or you could choose someone based just on how they performed in a single season.

I mean, in theory it could be argued that Braylon Edwards was the best WR in Browns history...and he may well have been....for one year. If that is your selection criteria, more power to you. (Just like say, using a different sport: Sandy Koufax is the greatest pitcher in history...and over a short number of years that very well may be true).

Only if we can do prime time vs GOAT style promo videos where we pretend to not have an idea what the other is doing.

Do you want to do this or not? You would have the entire pantheon of history to choose from.....how you wish to limit yourself is a personal choice. But because you choose to limit yourself does not mean that I would want others to be required to do the same thing.

Sure. Why not.

Current Players > Gip's Retirement Home

Except, of course, you are drafting for players in their prime. Don't you get that?

It may all be superfluous anyway....not enough people signing up to participate....so it may have to be dropped.

Archived