THE BROWNS BOARD

Power 5 realignment

They will pick one off from the ACC.

Why? You already said that Fla. would veto FSU. That SC would veto Clemson.

I think the only one that might make the jump is NC St. How about you? They may not like playing third fiddle to Duke/NC...in basketball at least. I don't think NC St. feels the same about their role in football versus those other two.

Right. Won't be FSU or Clemson. One of the NC schools and/or one of the Virginia schools.

I doubt it would be Virginia....but it could be Va A&M (Tech). They have kind of actually moved all over. From the Southern to the Big East to the ACC they have been somewhat nomadic. If they saw more prestige and more money, sure, they might jump.

(but...as noted, the ACC dominated the SEC this past year.....so it could be argued that they would be making a lateral move at best in terms of overall football competition)

Virginia would probably stick its nose up at SEC academics. VT is fine. Better cultural fit anyway. At least that's what I've heard.

Yes they should make a 30-50 year decision based on the results of 1 year....

I don't think anyone believes the ACC will be even with the SEC any time soon

Last year they weren't even....they were better. In terms of head to head matchups. (so....maybe you are right.....just not in the way you thought you were right.)

Virginia would probably stick its nose up at SEC academics. VT is fine. Better cultural fit anyway. At least that's what I've heard.

Yes they should make a 30-50 year decision based on the results of 1 year....

OK, what does that mean "better cultural fit". Though I kinda think I know what you need to explain that one to me needs further explanation.

Last year they weren't even....they were better. In terms of head to head matchups. (so....maybe you are right.....just not in the way you thought you were right.)

One year does not make a trend. Go top to bottom across the conferences, the ACC is not currently better.

Our top is deeper. Our middle is better. Come on Gip, you're better than that Bob Stoops "Kentucky sucks, ergo the SEC sucks" logic.

Va Tech is just rowdier, less pretentious, a little more rural, etc. But that's just what I've heard. I don't actually know.

Our top is deeper.

Apparently not.

Our middle is better.

Which teams do you consider the "middle" of each conf.?

Come on Gip, you're better than that Bob Stoops "Kentucky sucks, ergo the SEC sucks" logic.

Kentucky/Vandy...and usually Ole Miss and Miss St. They had their once in a generation decent seasons last year.

Va Tech is just rowdier, less pretentious, a little more rural, etc. But that's just what I've heard. I don't actually know.

Not as highly regarded academically.

Our top is deeper.

Apparently not.

Our middle is better.

Which teams do you consider the "middle" of each conf.?

Come on Gip, you're better than that Bob Stoops "Kentucky sucks, ergo the SEC sucks" logic.

Kentucky/Vandy...and usually Ole Miss and Miss St. They had their once in a generation decent seasons last year.

Not as highly regarded academically.

I'll explore the tiers of each conference later. That sounds interesting.

So given the fact that you're using only the last year of interconference game data to determine the "best" conference, I take it you've been adamantly calling the SEC the best since 07?

Or maybe since the SEC actually has a losing record against the Big East since 98, the latter is the best conference?

Yeah the academics are part of it.

• 3 months later...

I may have done this before, but here is one take on how the Power 5 conferences could/should realign.

Realign may be the wrong word, for for this I have pretty much left the 5 conferences alone with their current roster. I have only actually shifted one single team between the P5. (WEST by God) What I am doing essentially is having each conference expand to 16 teams each by adding to each conference some somewhat geographically compatible schools to them. By that I mean essentially having each conference move into surrounding territory. This is done by: A. Emaculating the American Conference and B. Partially emasculating the Mountain West Conference. Here is the proposed lineup:

Big Ten:

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Nebraska

Michigan

Purdue

Michigan St.

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Maryland

Rutgers

Northwestern

add: West Virginia transfer in from B12, and Connecticut

ACC:

Boston College

Clemson

Duke

North Carolina

Wake Forest

NC ST.

Florida St.

Ga. Tech

Louisville

Miami

Pitt

Syracuse

Virginia

Va. Tech

add: Cincinnati, Memphis

SEC:

Alabama

Arkansas

Auburn

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

LSU

Ole Miss

Mississippi St.

Missouri

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas A&M

Vanderbilt

Add: East Carolina, Tulsa

Pac 12:

Arizona

Arizona St.

USC

UCLA

Stanford

Cal

Oregon

Oregon St.

Washington

Washington St.

Utah

Colorado

add: Hawaii, Boise St. New Mexico, Nevada

Big 12:

Iowa St.

Kansas

Kansas St.

Oklahoma

OK St.

Texas

TCU

Texas Tech

Baylor

add: Houston, SMU, Colorado St., Wyoming, Arkansas St. New Mexico St., Tulane

Here is my reasoning for some of the moves....most of which involve the expansion of the conferences into markets in surrounding states:

West Va.: With Ohio/PA/Maryland surrounding it, and it being basically in the middle of what is now Big Ten country, it seemed a natural shift.

Connecticut: This solidifies the Big Ten in its eastern expansion and allows it to surround the New York City market...now having Rutgers in the nearby west of NYC and UConn in the nearby east....and it gives it a foothold in New England

Cincinnati and Memphis in the ACC. Reunites these "city teams" with former compadres Louisville and Pitt. Plus it gives the ACC an incursion into Big Ten country with Cinci, and provides it with an additional incursion into SEC country with a team in either the #1 or 2 market in Tennessee.

East Carolina and Tulsa in the SEC. Similar reasons to the above. Puts the SEC into neighboring states NC and OK, Tulsa being #2 OK market. And while EC is not in the NC population centers, quite frankly....its football program is probably as strong or stronger than any of the other schools in that state. (and we are dealing with this realignment as a football....not basketball matter)

Hawaii, Boise, New Mexico, Nevada into the Pac 12. Primarily, this is done to fill the 16 slots with the main schools in the western states that fill in the P12 map. Since they have Utah and Colorado in there now....put the teams in from the other most westerly states. (If you wanted to go with UNLV rather than Nevada...that would be OK...UNLV in larger market)

Houston, SMU, Colorado St., Wyoming, Arkansas St. New Mex. St., Tulane. in the Big 12: Again market expansion and consolidation, plus with Houston and SMU it is bringing former affiliated schools back into the fold. I know some of these teams are "smaller programs", but these additions puts this conference into the Houston and New Orleans markets...plus into Ark, NM and Colorado to compete with SEC and P12 schools there. But, yes, it would be an upgrade for a lot of these schools.

I revisited this again to see how I liked it.....I still do. What are the alternatives?

The way I see it, you probably need a distinction somehow betwee "High Majors" and Mid or Low majors.

There are right now 62 teams competing in the "Power5" conferences. My proposal would put 80 teams into the P5 schools.....which would then constitute therefore the "High Majors". That would leave 48 of the current 128 FBS schools on the outside looking in.

Of course, they should be out there. The MAC/Sun Belt schools should not gripe about being excluded. But some on the fringe may gripe...and may have a point. This would mainly be remnants of the ConfUSA, the American Conf. and the Mountain West.

I think an absolute cap needs to be placed on the number of FBS schools. Right now with the Appalachian State's and the Old Dominions wanting to be FBS....that's enough. OK, put the number at 130....then put at least a 10 year moratorium on FBS status.

By that time, perhaps they will have tweeked the playoff system to make it 8 games.

• 10 months later...

Again time to revisit this thread, what with Big 12 expansion.

I think I still like my way of thinking. Though maybe I think that the Big Ten could get both UConn and Boston College. W.Va and Cinci to switch to the ACC...then the Big 12 would need 5 teams, not 4. They could do that.

Archived