THE BROWNS BOARD

All Time NFL Team from your favorite College

The Gipper

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we are going to pile them all into one thread...so be it. Here is the All Ohio State Pro team. Though I am not an alum, I have certainly followed them all my life and know them as well as anyone:

QB Mike Tomsczak

RB Eddie George

WR Paul Warfield

WR Chris Carter

TE Ricky Dudley (kind of a "Dud" position for the Buckeyes)

OSPWC: Tom Matte (played RB and QB at times)

OT: Orlando Pace

OT: Jim Tyrer

OG William Roberts

OG Doug Van Horn

OC Nick Mangold

DBs: Dick LeBeau, Jack Tatum, Antoine Winfield, Sean Springs

DEs: Jim Marshall, Will Smith

DTs: Bill Willis, Ryan Pickett

LBs: Randy Gradishar, Chris Spielman, Pepper Johnson, Stan White

P: Tom Tupa

K: Lou Groza

KR: Ted Ginn

Second Team:

QB Kent Graham

RB Robert Smith

WR Joey Galloway

WR Dante Lavelli

TE John Frank

OSWC Keith Byars

OT Dick Shafrath

OT Jim Lachey

OG Rob Sims

OG Tim Vogler

OC Kirk Lowdermilk

DBs: Nate Clements, Chris Gamble, Tim Fox, Donte Whitner

DTs Dan Wilkinson, Alonzo Spellman

DEs: Keith Ferguson, Cameron Heyward

LBs: Jim Houston, Bob Brudzinski, Mike Vrabel, AJ Hawk

K: Tim Nugent

P: Tom Skladany

KR: Neil Colzie

Italics: HOF

All one thread now? Geez... I miss being special... :(

(and I will eventually do this. I've just been busy. Plus, I don't know much about Wolverines in the NFL pre-90s)

there is a simple resource for this: PFR...."schools".

I Will help you out with your "pre 1990 Wolverine team"

Here is your pre 1990 Michigan team. Caveat is that the players career must have ended before 1990:

QB Larry Cipa (all decent Mich QBs have played since 1990)

RB Ron Johnson

TE Jim Mandich

WR John Harden

WR Jim Smith

OT John Geisler

OT Steve Smith

OG Dan Dierdorf

OG Tom Mack

OC John Morrow

Offensive Wildcard: Elroy Hirsch

DBs: Dave Brown, Rick Volk, Thom Darden, Randy Logan,

LBs: John Anderson, Frank Nunley, Mel Owen, Bill Laskey

DEs: Curtis Greer, Dave Gallagher

DTs: Tom Keating, Kevin Brooks

K: Ali Haji Sheikh

P: Dan Brancken

KR: Harlan Huckleby

Italics: HOF

there is a simple resource for this: PFR...."schools".

I know, I know. But anyone could just look up numbers and post the highest.

I Will help you out with your "pre 1990 Wolverine team"

PFR gives you the list of who played.....and you can look and use the "highest" number if you wish....but you don't have to. You can go by your preferred recollection.

Some schools are more fertile at different positions....take OSU.....not much at QB or OG....but ooutstanding at WR/LB/DB/OT and a few other slots. Its a resource, not a be all end all.

All Louisville team

QB- Johnny Unitas

RB- Michael Bush

FB- Ernie Green

WR- Mark Clayton, Ernest Givens

WR- Deon Branch, Harry Douglas

TE- Ibn Green, Gary Barnidge

OT- Joe Jacoby, Reuben Oben, Bruce Armstrong

OG- Jason Spitzer, Alex Kupper

C- Eric Wood

DE- Elvis Dumerville, Joe Johnson

DT- Ted Washington, Amobi Okoye

LB- Tom Jackson, Doug Buffone, Otis Wilson

CB- Sam Madison, Frank Minnifield, Ray Buchanan

FS- Kerry Rhodes

SS- Calvin Pryor

Penn State 47 Man:

QB Kerry Collins (2 Pro Bowls) / Milt Plum 2 / Jeff Hostetler 1

FB Richie Anderson 1/ Michael Robinson 1

RB Franco Harris 9 /Lenny Moore 7 /Lydell Mitchell 3 / Curt Warner 3

WR1 Bobby Engram/ Joe Jurevicius

WR2 OJ McDuffie/ Jimmy Cefalo / Dick Hoak 1

TE Mickey Shuler 2/ Ted Kwalick 3

T Stew Barber 5/ Keith Dorney 1/ Kareem Mackenzie/ Brad Benson 1

G Mike Munchak 9 / Steve Wisnewski 8 / Marco Rivera 3

C Jeff Hartings 2 / Tom Rafferty

DT Rosey Grier 2/ Mike Reid 2 / Tim Johnson

DE Tamba Hali 4 / Bruce Clark 1 / Mike Hartenstein

ILB Matt Millen 1 / Shane Conlan 3 / Navorro Bowman 2 / Lance Mehl 1

OLB Jack Ham 8 / Dave Robinson 3 / Cameron Wake 4 / Lavar Arrington 3

S Mike Zordick / Darren Perry / Kim Herring / Harry Hamilton

CB David Macklin / Paul Lankford

K Matt Bahr

P Greg Montgomery 1

Offense: We're going to run the ball a lot. Great stable of running backs behind an awesome interior offensive line, but we have some clutch receivers for Collins to throw to as well. So much depth at RB that I moved Hoak out to flanker, and Lenny Moore will be third-down back and all-around headache.

Defense: Linebacker U ... Standouts like Ralph Baker, Paul Pusluszny, Rich Milot, Andre Collins and Greg Buttle got left off the roster, and there is an old-timer, Chuck Drazenovich, that probably belongs on the roster, but i don't know much about him, 4 pro bowls. Strong up front, and solid safeties, but apparently Joe Pa didn't produce too many cornerbacks, I only found two solid starters, we will utilize the safeties to do some press coverage, but hopefully our front seven will be so fierce we can hide our weakness in the secondary.

I have always contended that Ohio State actually has produced more better LBs than PSU has.

PSU has Ham, Conlan, Robinson, Millen, Bowman, Baker, Arrington, Poslusny and some others

OSU has had Gradishar, Spielman, Pepper, Stan White, Vrabel, Laurenitis, Hawk, Brudzinski, Houston, Diggs, Cousineau and others

The one other school that could contest PSU/OSU is probably USC with the likes of Seau, Matthews/Matthews, Rod Martin, Tatupu, Chip Banks, Maualauga, Del Rio, Cushing, Duane Bickett and some others.

Any other schools? Illinois may not have quantity, but they had quality producing both Butkus and Nitschke.

Who else?

We have a good list from the 70s on. I'd have to double check their NFL production. Our best LB ever had to leave the NFL after just a few years due to injuries, but he was the league's tackle leader in that span.

In this light, we could do: Best school at producing which position:

Running backs? Syracuse has had an historical top spot: JB, Csonka, Floyd Little. All HOF.

USC of course, with OJ, Gifford, Marcus Allen etc.

QBs? Alabama has to be looked at: Starr, Namath, Stabler, Richard Todd. Miami's Big Three is pretty good: Vinny, Kelly, Bernie

Purdue has to be considered: Griese, Dawson, Everett, Brees, Jeff George, Orton, Danielson, even Phipps.

WR? Ohio State doesn't take a back seat: 3 HOF: Carter, Lavelli, Warfield.

What other schools have excelled at producing certain positions?

Ironically, just read an article at NFL . com about who the real DBU is.....here's a link.....GREAT article!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494312/article/which-school-is-db-u-ohio-state-miami-lead-top-contenders

If you just go by which schools have the most HOF inductees at the DB position, you get a tie between 3 schools with 2 HOFers each:

Iowa, USC, and Southern

But, in actuality, what has the most HOF DBs is: the traditional black colleges. Jackson St., Grambling, Southern, Prairie View A&M, Scottsbluff College, Bishop all have HOF players. Of course these schools were in the south...and most of the HOF DBs still come from the time of southern discrimination.

Today, the guys that may have in earlier times had to go to Grambling or Southern now probably go to Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss etc.

The real OSU had arguably the best starter/back up situation at RB with Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas respectively.

They have had good RBs, true. Not much else. Those two are the only 2 OK St. players in the HOF.

Edit: I will take that back. OK St. has produced some very good defensive linemen: Kevin Williams, Jamal Williams, Leslie O'Neal and Jerry Sherk. None HOF at this point though K. Williams may have an outside shot. O'Neal was borderline.

We have a good list from the 70s on. I'd have to double check their NFL production. Our best LB ever had to leave the NFL after just a few years due to injuries, but he was the league's tackle leader in that span.

Yes, the premise is which guys at each position from your school had the best Pro career....not college.

It would be foolish of me to wax poetic about the Pro careers of Craig Krenzel and Troy Smith....but one did win a national championship and the other a Heisman.....but not so fast my friend on their pro career.

(and the opposite is true....shit...take Tom Brady. He had to fend off Champ Henson to start for Michigan......but one of the greatest pro QBs ever.)

They have had good RBs, true. Not much else. Those two are the only 2 OK St. players in the HOF.

Edit: I will take that back. OK St. has produced some very good defensive linemen: Kevin Williams, Jamal Williams, Leslie O'Neal and Jerry Sherk. None HOF at this point though K. Williams may have an outside shot. O'Neal was borderline.

Dez Bryant is well on his way. Russell Okung is doing his thing in Seattle. R.W McQuarters was a hell of a returner in the NFL. Durrant Williams was a hell of a player for Denver before tragically passing away. Parrish Cox and Brandon Pettigrew are still in the NFL. I had high hopes for Reshaun Woods, Justin Blackmon, and Tatum Bell but they all ran into some issues in the NFL. And you can't forget the "brillance" of Weeden either.

Not half bad for an overshadowed wrestling school.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot about Josh Fields. He was a hell of a QB but ended up playing baseball. He would've been good.

My other alma mater... Youngstown State University... not exactly the most feared of teams...

QB - Ron Jaworski

QB - Cliff Stoudt (Started 1 year for Pit, 9-6 record in 1983, 8-year career)

WR - Bobby Jones (6 career TDs in 6-year career with Jets and Browns)

WR - Donald Jones (3-year career in Buffalo, made 10 starts in 2012)

TE - Craig Cotton (6-year career in early 70s)

G - Lamar Mady (current backup G for the Raiders)

K - Jeff Wilkins (14-year career, including one Pro Bowl)

LB - Tim Johnson (played 6 years in the early 00s, had 0.5 sacks)

CB - Brandian Ross (current backup SS for the Raiders, started 10 games in 2014)

Nice.

On the Miami vs. Ohio St. DB issue, since the 1970 draft Ohio St. has had the following DBs make at least 1 Pro Bowl:

Jack Tatum

Tim Fox

Todd Bell

Shaun Gayle

Shawn Springs

Antoine Winfield

Nate Clements

Donte Whitner

Miami has has the following make a Pro Bowl:

Fred Marion

Bennie Blades

Ryan McNeil

Tremain Mack

Ed Reed

Sean Taylor

Antrelle Rolle

Brandon Meriweather

Compare: in the same 45 years, Alabama has had one single DB make a Pro Bowl: Roman Harper.

USC has had 5: Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott, Joey Browner, Mark Carrier, Polamalu

Florida: 2: Lito Sheppard and Joe Haden

FSU: JT Thomas, Deion Sanders, Leroy Butler, Samari Roll, Chris Hope, Antonio Cromartie.

Michigan: Thom Darden, Dave Brown, Keith Bostic, Ty Law, Charles Woodson

Dez Bryant is well on his way. Russell Okung is doing his thing in Seattle. R.W McQuarters was a hell of a returner in the NFL. Durrant Williams was a hell of a player for Denver before tragically passing away. Parrish Cox and Brandon Pettigrew are still in the NFL. I had high hopes for Reshaun Woods, Justin Blackmon, and Tatum Bell but they all ran into some issues in the NFL. And you can't forget the "brillance" of Weeden either.

Not half bad for an overshadowed wrestling school.

I would say, yes about half bad. In terms of producing the most quality NFL players, they are far down the list. In fact, here are the Top 25 schools in terms of producing Pro Bowl seasons from their players:

1. USC

2. Notre Dame

3. Miami

4. Ohio St.

5. Tennessee

6. Pitt

7. Michigan St

8. Michigan

9. Penn St.

10. Texas

11. Georgia

12. Purdue

13. Arizona St.

14. UCLA

15. LSU

16. Alabama

17. Syracuse

18. Texas A&M

19. Cal

20. Nebraska

21. Iowa

22. Minnesota

23. Florida St.

24. Oklahoma

25. Oregon

OK St. is #43...just 2 notches above Northwestern

(and....oh, yeah....the reigning NCAA Wrestling National Champions: The Ohio State University)

My other alma mater... Youngstown State University... not exactly the most feared of teams...

QB - Ron Jaworski

QB - Cliff Stoudt (Started 1 year for Pit, 9-6 record in 1983, 8-year career)

WR - Bobby Jones (6 career TDs in 6-year career with Jets and Browns)

WR - Donald Jones (3-year career in Buffalo, made 10 starts in 2012)

TE - Craig Cotton (6-year career in early 70s)

G - Lamar Mady (current backup G for the Raiders)

K - Jeff Wilkins (14-year career, including one Pro Bowl)

LB - Tim Johnson (played 6 years in the early 00s, had 0.5 sacks)

CB - Brandian Ross (current backup SS for the Raiders, started 10 games in 2014)

My other alma mater is Cleveland St.......and no football program.

If I used my kids schools....well...Kenyon had all of 2 players ever play i the NFL....but Trinity did have 2 players make a Pro Bowl (and a 1st round pick of the Cleveland Browns).

And my sons other school....the best players to come out of there were a kicker, Pete Gogolak,and Ed Marinaro....who may be better known as an actor on Hill Street Blues.

Pitt's NFL production is always crazy.

My number relates "Pro Bowl seasons" by players from that school, not individual players. And while Pitt has produced as many players as some schools, they have produced some of the most productive,

Like Marino, Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Doleman, Rickey Jackson, Darrelle Revis going strong, Stepnoski, Fralic, Grimm, Covert, Ditka...and even the jealous bastard Mark May.

I guess since they have had the most players in the NFL and the HOF, somebody should do a USC roster:

QB - Bill Nelsen (1 X Pro Bowler), barely beats out Pat Haden b/c of longer career and better QB Rating

RB - Marcus Allen (HOF)

RB - OJ Simpson (HOF)

WR - Keyshawn Johnson (3X Pro bowler, 10,500 career receiving yards)

WR - Lynn Swann (HOF)

OFS - Frank Gifford (HOF)

TE - Morris (Red) Badgro (HOF)

OL - Bruce Matthews (HOF)

OL - Anthony Munoz (HOF)

OL - Ron Mix (HOF)

OL - Ron Yary (HOF)

OL - Ryan Kalil (4X Pro Bowler, and counting)

DL - Darrell Russell (2X Pro Bowler)

DL - Mike Patterson

DL - Willie McGinest (2X Pro Bowler)

LB - Junior Seau (HOF)

LB - Clay Matthews (4X Pro Bowler, HOF semi-finalist)

LB - Rod Martin (2X Pro Bowler)

LB - Chip Banks (4X Pro Bowler)

DB - Ronnie Lott (HOF)

DB - Willie Wood (HOF)

DB - Tim McDonald (6X Pro Bowler)

DB - Dennis Smith (6X Pro Bowler)

DB - Troy Polamalu (8X Pro Bowler)

DB - Joey Browner (6X Pro Bowler)

My number relates "Pro Bowl seasons" by players from that school, not individual players. And while Pitt has produced as many players as some schools, they have produced some of the most productive,

Like Marino, Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Doleman, Rickey Jackson, Darrelle Revis going strong, Stepnoski, Fralic, Grimm, Covert, Ditka...and even the jealous bastard Mark May.

Yep. Plus Fitzgerald.

I guess since they have had the most players in the NFL and the HOF, somebody should do a USC roster:

QB - Bill Nelsen (1 X Pro Bowler), barely beats out Pat Haden b/c of longer career and better QB Rating

RB - Marcus Allen (HOF)

RB - OJ Simpson (HOF)

WR - Keyshawn Johnson (3X Pro bowler, 10,500 career receiving yards)

WR - Lynn Swann (HOF)

OFS - Frank Gifford (HOF)

TE - Morris (Red) Badgro (HOF)

OL - Bruce Matthews (HOF)

OL - Anthony Munoz (HOF)

OL - Ron Mix (HOF)

OL - Ron Yary (HOF)

OL - Ryan Kalil (4X Pro Bowler, and counting)

DL - Darrell Russell (2X Pro Bowler)

DL - Mike Patterson

DL - Willie McGinest (2X Pro Bowler)

LB - Junior Seau (HOF)

LB - Clay Matthews (4X Pro Bowler, HOF semi-finalist)

LB - Rod Martin (2X Pro Bowler)

LB - Chip Banks (4X Pro Bowler)

DB - Ronnie Lott (HOF)

DB - Willie Wood (HOF)

DB - Tim McDonald (6X Pro Bowler)

DB - Dennis Smith (6X Pro Bowler)

DB - Troy Polamalu (8X Pro Bowler)

DB - Joey Browner (6X Pro Bowler)

Yea, pretty darn good. But would not perhaps Carson Palmer get the nod as best QB that school has produced? I am obviously a Bill Nelsen guy....but Palmer may have had the more productive career.

Archived