THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Friday

The Gipper

Well, either one of two things....or both apply here: A. I may be an old fogey and just don't know those songs, or B. Those were not major hits here in the US. Fair enough on either account.

What did you think of the songs after listening..?

1. Who wins Cavs or Warriors?

Cleveland.

2. Who wins the NHL: Rangers/Lightning/Blackhawks/Ducks

Tampa.

3. Name the three players who have long been eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame but have not been selected as yet that you think should have gone in?

(for this...do not choose near sure things who are not yet eligible, like a Brett Favre....choose some old timer that has been left out)

Jim Marshall, Alex Karras, Steve Wisniewski

4. What is your favorite TV Game show?

College Madhouse

5. School's Out for Summer. In my opinion Alice Cooper was about the best in the business when it came to creating "Rock Anthem's" . State which band/act you think was great at creating "Rock Anthem's"....and give a few of your favorites.

Queen and AC/DC

1. Cavs in another sweep!!!!!!!!!

2. Rangers all the way

3. Ken Stabler, Clay Mathews

4. Jeopardy

5. Queen has a few

Liverpool are not in the FA cup, the final is tomorrow between Aston Villa (my team, Randy Lerner's team), and Arsenal.

By the way....what is the purpose of the "FA Cup"? Is that the championship of the Premier League? I thought there was another tournament for that.....if so....like I said, what is the purpose of this cup.?

Liverpool are not in the FA cup, the final is tomorrow between Aston Villa (my team, Randy Lerner's team), and Arsenal.

By the way....what is the purpose of the "FA Cup"? Is that the championship of the Premier League? I thought there was another tournament for that.....if so....like I said, what is the purpose of this cup.?

The premier league is a 20 team round robin. Everyone plays everyone, home and away, so 38 games per team per season. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. The league is then sorted by points, and whoever has the most after 38 games wins. No playoffs, nothing like that. Whoever has been the most consistently good, wins.

The FA cup is a different beast. Bearing in mind the tiered system of soccer, every team that's in the ladder - no matter how lowly - is entered in to the tournament. The higher the team, the later they enter. There's a ton of qualifying, pre-qualifying, before you get to the 'first round proper' which basically means that any even vaguely serious team gets a chance. Theoretically, gftChris United could play Gipper Town in the final. Of course, that doesn't happen, but you could also see Gipper Town playing at home to Liverpool, Man United or Arsenal.

That's 'the magic of the cup' as it's called. On any given day, any given team can, at least in theory, beat any given team, and win. Compare and contrast with the league system, which rewards consistency - you have to come in the top few places in your league to be promoted to the next league, and the next league, until you get to the premier league.

By the way, a neat thing about the FA cup is that the ticket money is shared between both clubs. Meaning, Gipper Town, with 300 supporters and a sheep, playing at Liverpool, get a 50% (ish) share of the however-many-millions in ticket sales, plus probably TV revenue, again split 50/50. See this article for info - Cambridge United played at Man United, and as a result got about £1m. For a club whose revenue is also about £1m, it's huge.

The premier league is a 20 team round robin. Everyone plays everyone, home and away, so 38 games per team per season. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. The league is then sorted by points, and whoever has the most after 38 games wins. No playoffs, nothing like that. Whoever has been the most consistently good, wins.

The FA cup is a different beast. Bearing in mind the tiered system of soccer, every team that's in the ladder - no matter how lowly - is entered in to the tournament. The higher the team, the later they enter. There's a ton of qualifying, pre-qualifying, before you get to the 'first round proper' which basically means that any even vaguely serious team gets a chance. Theoretically, gftChris United could play Gipper Town in the final. Of course, that doesn't happen, but you could also see Gipper Town playing at home to Liverpool, Man United or Arsenal.

That's 'the magic of the cup' as it's called. On any given day, any given team can, at least in theory, beat any given team, and win. Compare and contrast with the league system, which rewards consistency - you have to come in the top few places in your league to be promoted to the next league, and the next league, until you get to the premier league.

By the way, a neat thing about the FA cup is that the ticket money is shared between both clubs. Meaning, Gipper Town, with 300 supporters and a sheep, playing at Liverpool, get a 50% (ish) share of the however-many-millions in ticket sales, plus probably TV revenue, again split 50/50. See this article for info - Cambridge United played at Man United, and as a result got about £1m. For a club whose revenue is also about £1m, it's huge.

Well, sorry, but it sounds like it is generally just the Premier League"s way of having their cake and eating it too.

It would be like declaring that the team with the best record wins the NFL Champion....and then, oh by the way, we will have this tournament to decide a different championship. Not buying it one second. Its just a money grab from what I can see.

The nearest thing it sounds to what we have is the basketball tournament.....though in that case no "regular season champion" is declared except in each conference.

As for it being so egalitarian, well, I guess the money going to the small team's is fine but....when was the last time that someone other than the top Premier teams won this FA Cup?

It is sounding like FIFA: they give money to all the small countries....in exchange for votes.

Again, the closest thing to this that we have is when the big College football schools schedule a lower level cupcake to come be a sacrificial lamb. (even more acute in the SEC)

As for it being so egalitarian, well, I guess the money going to the small team's is fine but....when was the last time that someone other than the top Premier teams won this FA Cup?

It is sounding like FIFA: they give money to all the small countries....in exchange for votes.

Small Wigan Athletic won it in 2013 albeit they were in the Premier League at the time. They have since been relegated twice and now find themselves in the third level of the game.

Small Wigan Athletic won it in 2013 albeit they were in the Premier League at the time. They have since been relegated twice and now find themselves in the third level of the game.

Randy's Aston Villa team played in it this past week....and if I recall, they sucked swamp water during the "regular season". It kinda seems to me then that the big boys don't take it too seriously and must think of it as a bit of offseason fun with a payday.

Fair conclusion?

Randy's Aston Villa team played in it this past week....and if I recall, they sucked swamp water during the "regular season". It kinda seems to me then that the big boys don't take it too seriously and must think of it as a bit of offseason fun with a payday.

Fair conclusion?

At this point, I really hope you're trying to troll. And no, not because of Aston Villa.

At this point, I really hope you're trying to troll. And no, not because of Aston Villa.

No, I am not. I see that in the 2015 Premier League that Aston Villa was in 17th place during the "regular season". Which is crap, no? I mean, that is one position above relegation, right? Yet they play for the FA cup vs. Arsenal (which came in 3rd). So, how does a crap team get to this FA Cup Final......if the other "good teams" are taking it seriously?

Are they not taking it seriously? Or did AV improve that much since the end of the "regular" season?

Hopefully the latter....as, if it is the former, what is the point of the tournament if the good teams don't care a whit about it.

Here....the tournament....the playoffs is everything.

Here the Cowboys/Packers/Broncos can have the best regular season record.....but if they lose in the playoffs it "buh-bye" don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

But note....in the NFL, the Packers/Broncos/Cowboys/Seahawks and Patriots all tied for the best record in the league. What does the Premier League do in case of ties? Especially a 5 team tie?

No, I am not. I see that in the 2015 Premier League that Aston Villa was in 17th place during the "regular season". Which is crap, no? I mean, that is one position above relegation, right? Yet they play for the FA cup vs. Arsenal (which came in 3rd). So, how does a crap team get to this FA Cup Final......if the other "good teams" are taking it seriously?

Are they not taking it seriously? Or did AV improve that much since the end of the "regular" season?

Hopefully the latter....as, if it is the former, what is the point of the tournament if the good teams don't care a whit about it.

Here....the tournament....the playoffs is everything.

Here the Cowboys/Packers/Broncos can have the best regular season record.....but if they lose in the playoffs it "buh-bye" don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

But note....in the NFL, the Packers/Broncos/Cowboys/Seahawks and Patriots all tied for the best record in the league. What does the Premier League do in case of ties? Especially a 5 team tie?

The EPL would give the championship to the team with the biggest goal differential. Not sure what would happen if teams were still tied.

As for the FA cup, it is an open competition between almost all the teams in ALL of English soccer. Not just the top division.

It would be like the NCAA having a playoff in football with all the division playing in it.

The EPL would give the championship to the team with the biggest goal differential. Not sure what would happen if teams were still tied.

As for the FA cup, it is an open competition between almost all the teams in ALL of English soccer. Not just the top division.

It would be like the NCAA having a playoff in football with all the division playing in it.

The deciders are:

Points - obviously

Goal difference - also obviously

Goals scored - to reward and encourage attacking play

After 38 games, it's quite rare to have even two teams tied on points and GD, let alone goals scored. It's happened a few times in the last maybe 50 years, in which case they are bracketed equal. If it makes a difference in terms of who wins the league, who qualifies for european competition or relegation, then they will have a one match play off to decide the final standings.

Gip, as I said before, the league is a consistency reward. The cups are 'any given sunday' giving the smaller teams the chance to actually do something important, rather than just trying to grind away trying to get to the top of the ladder. The big teams do take it seriously, but if the smaller teams play a good game, and the bigger teams for whatever reason don't turn up, the smaller team will often win.

I really don't see what your problem is. It's also not 'offseason fun' as it happens in parallel with the regular season.

The deciders are:

Points - obviously

Goal difference - also obviously

Goals scored - to reward and encourage attacking play

After 38 games, it's quite rare to have even two teams tied on points and GD, let alone goals scored. It's happened a few times in the last maybe 50 years, in which case they are bracketed equal. If it makes a difference in terms of who wins the league, who qualifies for european competition or relegation, then they will have a one match play off to decide the final standings.

Gip, as I said before, the league is a consistency reward. The cups are 'any given sunday' giving the smaller teams the chance to actually do something important, rather than just trying to grind away trying to get to the top of the ladder. The big teams do take it seriously, but if the smaller teams play a good game, and the bigger teams for whatever reason don't turn up, the smaller team will often win.

I really don't see what your problem is. It's also not 'offseason fun' as it happens in parallel with the regular season.

Its not a problem...its just an unfamiliararity issue. It sounds like you have at least 3 different seasons/competitions. First the regular season, then this FA cup....and now some European competition?

WTF is up with that?

I thought "UEFA" pitted national teams, not club teams.

Its not a problem...its just an unfamiliararity issue. It sounds like you have at least 3 different seasons/competitions. First the regular season, then this FA cup....and now some European competition?

WTF is up with that?

I thought "UEFA" pitted national teams, not club teams.

Both. I think it stems from having more than 32 teams that can compete in the sport, you're not used to the fact that there are literally thousands of teams playing the same game professionally, even just within UEFA (never mind others).

Both. I think it stems from having more than 32 teams that can compete in the sport, you're not used to the fact that there are literally thousands of teams playing the same game professionally, even just within UEFA (never mind others).

Well, in some sports here we do have many professional and semi-professional teams play in certain sports, its just that for the most part they don't interact with the "major leagues"....though in like baseball and hockey there are many "minor league" affiliates of the major league team. e.g. The Columbus Clippers are the AAA affilate of the Cleveland Indians....and the Lake Erie Monsters are a minor league affiliate of the Columbus BlueJackets. (though no right thinking Clevelander would really accept Cleveland as being minor league status of Columbus). I think what is known as the "D League" is also affiliated with the NBA (Development League...basically a minor league). The NFL does not have minor league affiliates (college....CFL....Arena League....serve that purpose without any direct connection.

The point is.....the Major Leagues NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB are called "Major" for a reason.......except perhaps for the odd exhibition game the majors and minors do not play at all.

1. Cavs

2. Ducks

3. John Lynch, T.O. and Farve

T.O and Favre not yet eligible....I was kinda looking for guys that have been eligible for some time and have been waiting.

4. Jeopardy

5. Well sticking strictly to Summer, the late, great Eddie Cochran

Absolutely!

Well, in some sports here we do have many professional and semi-professional teams play in certain sports, its just that for the most part they don't interact with the "major leagues"....though in like baseball and hockey there are many "minor league" affiliates of the major league team. e.g. The Columbus Clippers are the AAA affilate of the Cleveland Indians....and the Lake Erie Monsters are a minor league affiliate of the Columbus BlueJackets. (though no right thinking Clevelander would really accept Cleveland as being minor league status of Columbus). I think what is known as the "D League" is also affiliated with the NBA (Development League...basically a minor league). The NFL does not have minor league affiliates (college....CFL....Arena League....serve that purpose without any direct connection.

The point is.....the Major Leagues NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB are called "Major" for a reason.......except perhaps for the odd exhibition game the majors and minors do not play at all.

Yep, I knew that already, thanks. That's the point i was trying to make - you're used to a world where the major leagues are all-consuming - everything in the minors is just designed to help the teams in the majors get better, whereas in soccer, it's every team for themselves. There's an under-21 league where youngsters (and a few fitness-lacking vets) can hone their skills, but they're not competitive and don't interact with the pro-leagues. Then, in the pro-leagues, you have about 5 divisions at the top of the pyramid, then below that it branches out in to regional divisions, meaning all in all you have something like 25 tiers, a fuck-ton more divisions, each with something like 20 teams in, none of which are affiliated with each other, going from Chelsea, Arsenal and the guys at the top, to Gipper Town right at the bottom, all of which (I think?) are eligible for the FA Cup. At least, my brother played around the 10th/11th tier and played in FA cup qualifying matches.

I like how that sounds......

Not exactly the same....but the NCAA basketball Tournaments are similar in that both draw 64 teams from all levels.....opens the door for David to Slay Goliath......(rare...but oh so exciting when it happens)

I like how that sounds......

Not exactly the same....but the NCAA basketball Tournaments are similar in that both draw 64 teams from all levels.....opens the door for David to Slay Goliath......(rare...but oh so exciting when it happens)

It's quite rare, but for example this year Man United were beaten 4-0 by a team from the third tier. They were obviously at 100%, Man United were not on their game, new manager, new system, but should still have won by virtue of much better players.

Yep, I knew that already, thanks. That's the point i was trying to make - you're used to a world where the major leagues are all-consuming - everything in the minors is just designed to help the teams in the majors get better, whereas in soccer, it's every team for themselves. There's an under-21 league where youngsters (and a few fitness-lacking vets) can hone their skills, but they're not competitive and don't interact with the pro-leagues. Then, in the pro-leagues, you have about 5 divisions at the top of the pyramid, then below that it branches out in to regional divisions, meaning all in all you have something like 25 tiers, a fuck-ton more divisions, each with something like 20 teams in, none of which are affiliated with each other, going from Chelsea, Arsenal and the guys at the top, to Gipper Town right at the bottom, all of which (I think?) are eligible for the FA Cup. At least, my brother played around the 10th/11th tier and played in FA cup qualifying matches.

Gipper Town would be la creme de la creme..... Our motto would be: "Preening Pansies Fuck Off".

Archived