THE BROWNS BOARD

Jerry Seinfield refuses to do college campuses

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they do seem to have more than their fair share assholes, you gotta admit.

I mean whenever you see a speaker being shouted down it's more often than not in a college setting. Just saying.

WSS

What are you talking about? Politicians get heckled all of the time at speeches given outside of colleges. Such as town hall meetings or something like that. It happens all over the place...

one of my favorites

Wow, 1 guy. And he looks about college age...

WSS

So what point are you trying to make?

"It is more often than not in a college setting". Is that not what you are trying to say now? Besides the fact you provided no actual evidence to support you claim. Not it is just "college ages kids"? That guy looks like he is in his late 20s anyway.

Politicians get heckled all of the time. The idea that it is only by young, naive, stupid college kids is ignorant. Plenty of different people do it in plenty of different settings. Just start googling around and you'll find plenty of examples.

I just enjoy the general anti-University, anti-Education feeling by some on this board (not necessarily you). It seems like some on here will find whatever means they can to discredit high learning or education in general.

I just enjoy the general anti-University, anti-Education feeling by some on this board (not necessarily you). It seems like some on here will find whatever means they can to discredit high learning or education in general.

Right. Because that's what I (someone with twice the "higher education" as you) have a problem with. The actual education side of things.

I don't believe anyone on this board is anti-Education or anti-University at all.

Stop desperately trying to be a victim, woodpecker.

Some aspects of education deserves criticism. Criticizing higgardly clinton doesn't

make a person "anti-female", although that whining has happened in the past.

It's just that you, woodpecker, give education a very bad name. You are ignorant of many things,

you seriously fail to conserse intelligently most of the time, and you dish out way too many

"one liner" nonsense posts.

Then you brag about your degree and your education and how you went to a good school,

blah blah blah.

But there are trends. Jay Leno used to go out on the street and ask questions - some college kids

didn't know who the president was, etc. And they were serious. Some very educated people

can be so stupid it should be a crime. I don't believe they teach common sense in universities.

Politicians get heckled all of the time. The idea that it is only by young, naive, stupid college kids is ignorant. Plenty of different people do it in plenty of different settings. Just start googling around and you'll find plenty of examples.

Now that you've admitted there exists naïve stupid college kids, the next step is to admit that they tend to identify themselves as liberal.

I doubt you'll do that though.

And we just enjoy the way you pounce every time universities are mentioned. Sorry that it disturbs you but academia joins Hollywood and the media as liberal centers of propaganda and indoctrination. You know as well as I do that the big three serve as democrat party cheerleaders.

Too bad you missed the point in all of this though. Of course there is a chance a politician, or even a comedian may be heckled in places outside a college setting, but they don't know that for sure. Seinfeld and others are only implying that the chances of being heckled are far greater at todays PC infected college.

Hope that helped.

Right. Because that's what I (someone with twice the "higher education" as you) have a problem with. The actual education side of things.

I don't believe I ever said you...

For the fact you mentioned really. And I just turned 23, give me time, I'll go back (not to your level though)

I don't believe anyone on this board is anti-Education or anti-University at all.

Stop desperately trying to be a victim, woodpecker.

Some aspects of education deserves criticism. Criticizing higgardly clinton doesn't

make a person "anti-female", although that whining has happened in the past.

It's just that you, woodpecker, give education a very bad name. You are ignorant of many things,

you seriously fail to conserse intelligently most of the time, and you dish out way too many

"one liner" nonsense posts.

Then you brag about your degree and your education and how you went to a good school,

blah blah blah.

But there are trends. Jay Leno used to go out on the street and ask questions - some college kids

didn't know who the president was, etc. And they were serious. Some very educated people

can be so stupid it should be a crime. I don't believe they teach common sense in universities.

And we're back on the "bragging" thing... Continuing to prove my point. Thanks Cal.

Oh wow, a bit talking to strangers on the street? That must be entirely representative of the group and not edited in any way...

Now that you've admitted there exists naïve stupid college kids, the next step is to admit that they tend to identify themselves as liberal.

I doubt you'll do that though.

And we just enjoy the way you pounce every time universities are mentioned. Sorry that it disturbs you but academia joins Hollywood and the media as liberal centers of propaganda and indoctrination. You know as well as I do that the big three serve as democrat party cheerleaders.

Too bad you missed the point in all of this though. Of course there is a chance a politician, or even a comedian may be heckled in places outside a college setting, but they don't know that for sure. Seinfeld and others are only implying that the chances of being heckled are far greater at todays PC infected college.

Hope that helped.

I was responding to Steve's comment, not anything from Seinfield.

If I identified as a conservative, would it be a good thing that academia is "liberal" as you said? I would think the people that research and study these complicated topics would have a fairly string understanding of them.

Of course thus goes back to your belief, ad others on here, that everything within a college is super liberal. Every professor, every class, every group. That's an incredibly ignorant thought. This "indoctrination" you think happens to every kid at a university is just dead wrong. I don't think politics came up once in my four years of classes. Conservative and liberal groups both existed on campus. Whatever picture you have of a university, I'm not sure its very accurate. Maybe within a few majors, but not as a whole.

There exists stupid naive people in every group. It isn't exclusive to the youth.

My point? It should be pretty obvious. If someone's going to be an a****** as well as a liberal, its more often than not going to happen during the late teens through mid twenties, that's when people are biggest assholes. And I'm sure if you do a simple Google search just using the words speaker shouted down on college campus you will get a long list of conservative speakers being shouted down by dumb ass kids. Not that it never happens the other way but I guess somewhere a man actually bites a pitbull.

And certainly there are heated interactions at City Council meetings etc but I don't really see any examples of a large group screaming until the mayor just goes home.

If someone's going to be an a****** as well as a liberal, its more often than not going to happen during the late teens through mid twenties, that's when people are biggest assholes.

agreed....its not about "college" kids, so much as it's about college "age" kids.....(and I have some mid/late 20 somethings myself)...

Woody....give this an HONEST try.......go ahead and get yourself into an in depth debate with a 13 yr old about sports or politics.....I promise it would frustrate you beyond belief.....and you would find yourself(at least internally) thinking this guy has a LOT to learn and Ive lived a little more and learned a little more.....because I think, as a general rule(not always), people mature and gain better perspective with age.....( you have so far, correct?)....

And if debating a 13 yr old is difficult for you, due to that 10 year difference in life....can you accept that your debating people in the same position?......that being 35 or 45 or 55 adds a lot of years of perspective....education.....maturity.....to the point that a 23 yr old sounds to us, like a 13 yr old sounds to you?.....

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, but I do have a lot of opportunity to visit with my kids and their friends(all college educated and very bright, btw) and I assure you that, as smart and educated and nice as they are, they all think they have it figured out and really aren't even close......it is what it is.......

Although, woody posts like he's thirteen, in a bad way.

I see woody as being like that kid in the movie, "Willard"

Willard_movie.jpg

agreed....its not about "college" kids, so much as it's about college "age" kids.....(and I have some mid/late 20 somethings myself)...

Woody....give this an HONEST try.......go ahead and get yourself into an in depth debate with a 13 yr old about sports or politics.....I promise it would frustrate you beyond belief.....and you would find yourself(at least internally) thinking this guy has a LOT to learn and Ive lived a little more and learned a little more.....because I think, as a general rule(not always), people mature and gain better perspective with age.....( you have so far, correct?)....

And if debating a 13 yr old is difficult for you, due to that 10 year difference in life....can you accept that your debating people in the same position?......that being 35 or 45 or 55 adds a lot of years of perspective....education.....maturity.....to the point that a 23 yr old sounds to us, like a 13 yr old sounds to you?.....

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, but I do have a lot of opportunity to visit with my kids and their friends(all college educated and very bright, btw) and I assure you that, as smart and educated and nice as they are, they all think they have it figured out and really aren't even close......it is what it is.......

In my opinion, that is a very lazy argument. If I am so immature, naive, ignorant, etc, then it should be easy enough to rebut any point I make, and support your own. Taking the "well I'm older than you" route is just a lazy way out. If you think I am wrong, and your idea is right, prove it. Provide evidence. Provide data. It is very simple.

Not to mention, I can just find someone in their 60s, 70s, etc that disagrees with you. I mean, it is all about being "older and wiser" correct? Whoever can find the oldest person that agrees with them must be correct then...

... of course that is idiotic though. Instead, go by the merit of the point being made. Idk if that person is 13, 23, or 73. If there is a good point being made and it is being well supported, why does it matter the age of the person saying it?

There is a difference between wisdom and knowlege. Wisdom is using the knowlege to make good decisions. Many people do get wiser as they get older just by learning from their mistakes. True some people seem to never learn from their mistakes but I would say most people do. I would not be so quick to discount wisdom learned from others by experience. I know I don't and usually place that type wisdom at a premium because they have already been there and done that. It doesn't automatically make what they say as true but it throws a lot of weight behind it.

There is a difference between wisdom and knowlege. Wisdom is using the knowlege to make good decisions. Many people do get wiser as they get older just by learning from their mistakes. True some people seem to never learn from their mistakes but I would say most people do. I would not be so quick to discount wisdom learned from others by experience. I know I don't and usually place that type wisdom at a premium because they have already been there and done that. It doesn't automatically make what they say as true but it throws a lot of weight behind it.

If we're talking "wisdom and knowledge", you're also the guy that openly admitted not believing anything that disagrees with the Bible. You aren't exactly the best source on the matter...

But I agree that you learn based on your experiences (or at least you should). I just said I am not going to discount someone based on their age (old or young) or decided whether or not their argument is valid based on their age. I am going to look at the merits of the argument they are making.

If we're talking "wisdom and knowledge", you're also the guy that openly admitted not believing anything that disagrees with the Bible. You aren't exactly the best source on the matter...

I am wise enough to know the limitation of man's wisdom.

I am wise enough to know the limitation of man's wisdom.

Yes yes. The bible is true because god wrote it. God is real because the bible says so. The bible is true because god wrote it.... and around and around we go.

I'm going to save everyone here the trouble and just leave it at that.

Yes yes. The bible is true because god wrote it. God is real because the bible says so. The bible is true because god wrote it.... and around and around we go.

I'm going to save everyone here the trouble and just leave it at that.

I love how when I make a point between the difference of wisdom and knowlege (I said nothing about the bible) you right away come back with slamming my faith then spout off like you have all the answers and what I say cannot matter because I believe in the truth of the bible.

Here is a logical argument for you on the existence of God:

1. Something exists.

2. Nothing does not produce something.

3. Something must have always existed.

4. The universe has not always existed

...then a conclusion can be validly drawn from these premises.

5. There must be an eternal power beyond the universe that caused the universe to come into existence.

Hebrews 11:6 Through FAITH we understand that the universe was created by the word of God and THINGS SEEN were not made of things that appear. Translation: out of the supernatural spiritual realm came the physical realm

1) I never said I have all of the answers

2) I never said what you say can't matter because of your faith. Past comments you have made though influence how others should view your comments on "knowledge". You've openly admitted to shunning certain knowledge because it disagrees with your book. Faith is one thing. Willful ignorance is another.

3) Not having all of the answers now is not proof of your christian god. Words in a book written by man is not proof of your christian god.

This is getting off topic. We did the whole religion song and dance a few weeks ago, and we found out all we need to know about your beliefs. I'd like to keep your complete lack of a need of evidence/data/support for your beliefs separate from other debates... but honestly sometimes it is hard.

Archived