THE BROWNS BOARD

Microaggressions

StinkHole

Liberals/universities at it again. And you wonder why Seinfeld won't play colleges.

Phrases UC college faculty and staff not allowed to say...deemed a "microaggression"

"America is the land of opportunity." REASON: Myth

"Where are you from or where were you born?" REASON: Suggests one isn't a "true" American.

"Affirmative Action is racist". REASON: Myth

Describing America as a "melting pot". REASON: It orders people to assimilate. (fuck you. This one perturbs me the most)

"There is only one race, the human race." REASON: It denies the significance of a persons ethnic or racial history.

"I believe the most qualified person should get the job". REASON: Myth

" When I talk to you I don't see color"...I can agree with this one. Its lame. If you say that then you do see color!...That's right in line with "I have friends that are black"

2hzk48p.jpg

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/22839/

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/10/california-trains-professors-to-avoid-microaggressions/

So?

The one that pisses you off the most is probably the most true, the old saying the US is a melting pot is not true. A simple walk through any large corp HQ or a college campus would prove that, or simple going to different regions and noticing all of the differences(Appalachia, the South, Texas, the West Coast...etc)

It seems like today everyone in this country gets offended so easily. Some of it is for financial gain with lawsuits but i have some real concerns about free speech. Instead of disagreeing with people some aren't going to be happy unless alternative views are shut down totally. There are people on the left who hate Fox and conservative talk radio so much they have people on their payroll who will monitor 24/7 these shows and try to catch them saying something they can shut them down with (by pressuring their sponsors to pull out). That is where we are at today.

So?

The one that pisses you off the most is probably the most true, the old saying the US is a melting pot is not true. A simple walk through any large corp HQ or a college campus would prove that, or simple going to different regions and noticing all of the differences(Appalachia, the South, Texas, the West Coast...etc)

Actually it's just not as true as it once was. The reason for that? It's so much more profitable and easier to gain influence by banding together as outsiders and give your allegiance to whatever minority group you can in order to gain attention. the ancestors of all these evil bastards in the big corporations we're most certainly treated poorly when they arrived in America but struggled to blend in instead of Balkanizing.

WSS

Actually it's just not as true as it once was. The reason for that? It's so much more profitable and easier to gain influence by banding together as outsiders and give your allegiance to whatever minority group you can in order to gain attention. the ancestors of all these evil bastards in the big corporations we're most certainly treated poorly when they arrived in America but struggled to blend in instead of Balkanizing.

WSS

I would say it was never true, but merely a propaganda tool to encourage immigration. The US was never a Melting Pot, and to me that is ok each group that has come to the US (from the earliest settlers to someone stepping off a boat today) has brought parts of their culture\heritage\beliefs that make the US a diverse country, we don't have one culture spread out across the country we have small ones unified under one flag.

Ok I just don't agree with you. When you get a bowl of stew you can still see a carrot or a potato or a piece of onion or chunk of meat. In those boardrooms you'll find Irish, Scots, English, German, Polish, Jews, Slovaks, Slovenians, Italians, Dutch, French, you name it.

sure it's fun to mess around with our heritage but in most cases it's not serious. I'm playing the riverfront Irish Festival this weekend but I'd be surprised if I see anyone who speaks a word of Gaelic or actually wants to shoot the British. Some groups choose not to fit in, you don't have to believe it if victimhood is paying off for you. (not necessarily you but...)

WSS

Ok I just don't agree with you. When you get a bowl of stew you can still see a carrot or a potato or a piece of onion or chunk of meat. In those boardrooms you'll find Irish, Scots, English, German, Polish, Jews, Slovaks, Slovenians, Italians, Dutch, French, you name it.

sure it's fun to mess around with our heritage but in most cases it's not serious. I'm playing the riverfront Irish Festival this weekend but I'd be surprised if I see anyone who speaks a word of Gaelic or actually wants to shoot the British. Some groups choose not to fit in, you don't have to believe it if victimhood is paying off for you. (not necessarily you but...)

WSS

I actually think the stew description to be about the best, the "Melting Pot" usually refers to forming more of an alloy.

You won't see people speak Gaelic, but you will find a wide variety of Irish Folk dancers\songs and Irish cuisine, most of which have become part of the American culture specially for Americans of Irish decent.

So?

The one that pisses you off the most is probably the most true, the old saying the US is a melting pot is not true.

No, the reasoning behind it....that saying "melting pot" forces people to assimilate.

If you move to China, you will assimilate bud....no whining on how some aspects of their culture may offend you.

I lived and worked with Muslims in Saudi Arabia. Ramadan calls for 30 days of fasting during daylight hours. Those that were not Muslim, mainly foreigners, were allowed to eat, but had to eat out of view of Muslims. Have lunch in a closet somewhere. I had to respect their religion. I assimilated.

Melting pot once meant to me as simply all different races and ethnic backgrounds coming together to form a new nation of citizens, nothing more. "Americans" is what we call ourselves.

Actually we are a melting pot...considering all the ethnicities and races that have already intermarried and produced offspring, perhaps in a thousand years from now "Americans" will all physically look the same...a new ethnicity.

No, the reasoning behind it....that saying "melting pot" forces people to assimilate.

If you move to China, you will assimilate bud....no whining on how some aspects of their culture may offend you.

I lived and worked with Muslims in Saudi Arabia. Ramadan calls for 30 days of fasting during daylight hours. Those that were not Muslim, mainly foreigners, were allowed to eat, but had to eat out of view of Muslims. Have lunch in a closet somewhere. I had to respect their religion. I assimilated.

Melting pot once meant to me as simply all different races and ethnic backgrounds coming together to form a new nation of citizens, nothing more. "Americans" is what we call ourselves.

Actually we are a melting pot...considering all the ethnicities and races that have already intermarried and produced offspring, perhaps in a thousand years from now "Americans" will all physically look the same...a new ethnicity.

Americans will all be mud colored people in 1000 years.

Melting pot once meant to me as simply all different races and ethnic backgrounds coming together to form a new nation of citizens. Americans is what we call ourselves.

D

Respecting another places practices, while not partaking yourself is not assimilation. Had you actually fasted or started following Islam that would be a form of assimilation.

Maybe in a thousand years the whole globe would be one culture(many believe one day it will with globalization), but its not today, nor is the USA.

LOL, the irony..I think I just stated a microaggression!

Oh dear, that may offend poor gay people! Since gays can now be fucking married but are not incapable of producing offspring...

I think we all might be close to the same page here just slight variations on what you mean by assimilation. I wouldn't think you are assimilating if you eat your lunch in the closet, because assimilation would mean you fasted when they did but I get your point. assimilation I would assume is learning the language and pretty much going about your business like everybody else. we all have our little festivals and fairs where we get to show off our heritage but there is a reason they came here in the first place, be it right or wrong, but nobody is chomping at the bit to go back.

WSS

Respecting another places practices, while not partaking yourself is not assimilation. Had you actually fasted or started following Islam that would be a form of assimilation.

Maybe in a thousand years the whole globe would be one culture(many believe one day it will with globalization), but its not today, nor is the USA.

Yes, I think it would be, because I wasn't going against the grain. We Americans didn't march down the streets demanding our rights! But just to be clear, I didn't hide in a closet, I was just giving an example.

Actually I did fast. It actually felt good fasting. Lost weight!

Assimilate doesn't necessarily mean you must do what they do. By definition assimilate means "to absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture".

My time at Michigan was an example of both sides of this. You'd have groups specifically representing a certain culture or ethnicity, and then you'd have groups that were a giant mix of everyone that just happened to share similar interests.

I interacted with more races, ethnicities and cultures there than I probably ever will in one place again. Hell, just having an international roommate for 4 years was a great experience.

I think we all might be close to the same page here just slight variations on what you mean by assimilation. I wouldn't think you are assimilating if you eat your lunch in the closet, because assimilation would mean you fasted when they did but I get your point. assimilation I would assume is learning the language and pretty much going about your business like everybody else. we all have our little festivals and fairs where we get to show off our heritage but there is a reason they came here in the first place, be it right or wrong, but nobody is chomping at the bit to go back.

WSS

I agree with you steve, that is why I feel we are more of a "stew" than melting pot we don't really force people to be a certain culture, but as more immigrants came to the US our culture has both changed, and changed the immigrants. Many people keep there traditions and such so that they remain unique, and different parts of the country have changed differently depending on the environment and the people who immigrated to those regions.

Yes, I think it would be, because I wasn't going against the grain. We Americans didn't march down the streets demanding our rights! But just to be clear, I didn't hide in a closet, I was just giving an example.

Actually I did fast. It actually felt good fasting. Lost weight!

Assimilate doesn't necessarily mean you must do what they do. By definition assimilate means "to absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture".

Your own definition contradicts your statement, you did not absorb or integrate to wider society or culture, you remained who you where before(in regards to fasting). Misread your post, missed the actual part of you fasting that would be a form of assimilation.

Archived