THE BROWNS BOARD

The unofficial...Off-season....LB thread

Mudfly

So still no 3-down LB? *Sigh*

nope....

and it is concerning.....if we have Mingo to cover.....Orchard and Kruger rushing.....solomon on run D.....Then the Browns are reliant on correctly anticipating the play call and getting the right personnel group in .....play after play.....

And all the O has to do is hurry up to prevent substitutions...so we need "someone" to step up and show they belong in there every play....

I know this kind of thing is frowned upon around here...

And I usually can stay clear of it...

But I can't get Gilbert and Manziel for Khalil Mack out of my head.

I know this kind of thing is frowned upon around here...

And I usually can stay clear of it...

But I can't get Gilbert and Manziel for Khalil Mack out of my head.

Ha!......Careful.....thinking like that could drive you mad.......if it helps, you can calm your nerves by knowing that Farmer wouldnt have picked him anyway.....;)

nor will this.....Mingo missed the day with an unspecified injury....Browns confirm he's hurt, but mum on the nature of the injury.

Nate Ulrich is now reporting it's a knee. MRI scheduled...

Damn...

If it weren't for bad luck...

Ridiculous luck. The next brownsboard member going to practice is in charge of getting the ashes off the practice field and back in the erne in the draft day movie than we pound f ing pancakes :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok.....LB's had a much improved game last night....

Started rough as Kruger completely whiffed on a tackle the very first play from scrimmage...and I was like Uh oh, here we go....

But then....they got it going.....Kruger, Dansby and Robertson all made nice plays....Orchard was pretty active and around the ball much more this week.....and Kirksey is looking REALLY good.....you could see them starting to feel it....getting the confidence going.....

It was obvious last week we had issues with the outside run, but what we also seem to have a problem with - and we had it last year as well - is with a QB run.

They did better last night with the edge running....but yea, the QB got out there a bit.

How many running QBs like that are the Browns going to face?

None in the 6 AFCN games with BR/Flacco/Dalton.

What about the other teams on our schedule:

Jets....Fitzpatrick...NO

Titans...Mariota....Yes

Chargers....Rivers...NO

Broncos...Peyton...NO

Rams....Foles....I don't really think of him as a running QB

Cards....Palmer...NO

49er....Kaepernick...Yes

Seahawks....Wilson...Yes, can be

Chiefs...Smith....NO

So, they will only face 3 Tyrod Taylor type QBs this season

ok.....LB's had a much improved game last night....

Yes... against the run. In general I thought we got back to setting the edge. Against the pass? Not so much...

I'd add Orchard to your list. I thought he played well. Did miss a sack opportunity to a lack of control upon arrival at the QB, but got there.

Issue within our LB corps remains pass coverage.

... what we also seem to have a problem with - and we had it last year as well - is with a QB run.

In a long field what team's D does not have issues with a running QB? Very hard to account for...

Fortunately, as I think we saw last nite, as the field shortens and the D compresses QB, runs become easier to defend.

A.Bryant and Orchard seem like a pretty dynamic duo of pass-rushers, especially considering their youth. When they were blitzing against the 2's it was quite impressive. I hope they continue to get better.

Kruger is going to have a good year. I didn't see much from Solomon.

I wonder if Mingo is in trouble to make the roster? We could use his ability to play in coverage, but I'd like to see him play better against the run and rushing the QB...

Dansby, Robertson, and Kirksey are all solid ILBs.

Overall, this gorup looks promising.

No surprises to make the roster, IMHO:

OLBs - Kruger, Solomon, Orchard, A.Bryant, Mingo

ILBs - Dansby, Robertson, Kirksey, and probably Carder

A.Bryant and Orchard seem like a pretty dynamic duo of pass-rushers, especially considering their youth. When they were blitzing against the 2's it was quite impressive. I hope they continue to get better.

Kruger is going to have a good year. I didn't see much from Solomon.

I wonder if Mingo is in trouble to make the roster? We could use his ability to play in coverage, but I'd like to see him play better against the run and rushing the QB...

Dansby, Robertson, and Kirksey are all solid ILBs.

Overall, this gorup looks promising.

No surprises to make the roster, IMHO:

OLBs - Kruger, Solomon, Orchard, A.Bryant, Mingo

ILBs - Dansby, Robertson, Kirksey, and probably Carder

My impression of Solomon was that he looked overwhelmed. His name was called more often on mistakes than on any solid plays. I hope I am misremembering, but I don't recall being too happy with his performance.

My impression of Solomon was that he looked overwhelmed. His name was called more often on mistakes than on any solid plays. I hope I am misremembering, but I don't recall being too happy with his performance.

Im thinking he'll be pretty one dimensional....a non-athletic gritty run stuffer who can be easily exposed by a savvy QB or OC....

And that's the natural expected level of a UDFA.. He may play hard, but he's got limitations. Given that we now know his ceiling, I wonder if that potential roster spot shouldn't go to one of our DL instead.. If we're playing essentially a 4-3 under on many plays [eg, 5 guys at the line] I'd rather have a DL beast rather than a UDFA OLB..

Archived