THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Sam experiment over?

Mudfly

What in "your opinion" has happened to mitigate his ability to sue? Tour

Sorry, I thought it was obvious. He got his chance in the NFL, Didn't make it.

Got his chance with the Canadian team, then quit. Looks like he never really

wanted to play. Just wanted to get no chance, and sue for discrimination.

"Coming out" was never necessary in the first place - but it set the stage for

never getting a chance, and making big money. But he got his chances, so

he gave it up. I don't know how much simpler I can make it.

Maybe...

"X" wants easy monies because of "y". "Y" never materializes, so no easy monies.

No easy monies = "x" quits and goes home. "y" ? You know "y".

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe...

"X" wants easy monies because of "y". "Y" never materializes, so no easy monies.

This is a bunch of shit.

This is a bunch of shit. Cleve

So, you are an "x" sympathizer. No surprise here. Sorry, I can't

make it any SIMPLER for you.

Well, since I started it, can at least defend my snicker.......which has zero to do with his being gay, black, from the sec or anything else....

It's about the hypocrisy of his statements vs actions......and, I believe, using his "coming out" to generate guilt, publicity, income, etc

He DID come out through an exclusive(paid) interview with ESPN.....and timed it leading upto the draft. I sensed right then that he was challenging or daring teams NOT to draft him (implied discrimination prior to it occurring??).....then said....

"but I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player"

Then signs a deal to go on Oprah to discuss how he wishes people would stop discussing him because.... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player....

Then signs a deal to do a 1-1/2 hour documentary movie about him growing up and dealing with his sexuality.....but still saying... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player

Then signs a deal to do his own reality show(based upon a gay man trying to make it in the NFL) ....it was nixed......but through this he was still saying..... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player

Then gets drafted and doesnt make the team and literally says it was because he was gay. He did eventually retract that, but still says nothing will stop him and he will work harder and will be back. He's driven to prove people wrong.

So, when invited to the next combine, he shows up out of shape and unprepared.....but claims he WILL work harder(next time) and be playing football this year in either the NFL or Cfl........with the draft a month away and team camps 2 months away, its the perfect time to get ready....soooooooo 1 week later he....

...signs on with Dancing With The Stars??...wtf???......and THEN accepts an offer from Montreal, but has to come late because of his TV commitment.....but says football is his dream and he is 100% committed(after DWTS that is)....

Then shows up to camp late....and outta shape....and performs terribly. Though he says he will work twice as hard to get upto speed and help the team win a championship.....and even said "you would have to chop my legs off to prevent me from playing".......

Then.....2 weeks later.....he quit.....

So....there is my perspective....Ive never liked quitters or talkers(especially when they dont back it up) and Im completely bothered by people who act the victim when they aren;t..........and "look at me" media babies(just one of those things with me) and Sam rings these bell in everyway.....

So...yeah.....(snicker snicker)......and NOT because he's gay..... Ive said the exact same about guys like Tebow, Johnny, Lynch etc....

This is a bunch of shit. Cleve

So, you are an "x" sympathizer. No surprise here. Sorry, I can't

make it any SIMPLER for you.

No, I'm not. I'm just not ignorant enough to try and guess someone's motivations based off of a tiny sample size of behavior.

If the man weren't gay, you wouldn't give a fuck about him - and I severely doubt you'd claim that he was attempting to sue the NFL. You'd simply say "guy isn't good enough, oh well".

What about the multitude of late round picks and UDFA's who don't stick on with a team and then quit after two years to pursue something else? Are they attempting to sue the league too? If your reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that Sam is homosexual, then clearly you must feel that way about all players who quit the game early.

My real problem was with the NFL and giving preferential treatment to Sam.

"Sports are supposed to be the great equalizer, with people advancing because of their physical ability, not based on the color of their skin and certainly not because of the kind of sex they like. Michael Sam should play in the NFL if he is a good football player, not because the league pressures teams to sign him in the name of political correctness."

"I know the NFL is a business, but part of maintaining a successful business is protecting the integrity of your brand. The product is cheapened when some players get advantages over others. This is why there are rules against performance enhancing drugs, for example. But in this case, it is not a player circumventing rules to gain an advantage, it’s the league tipping the scales. Making sure that Sam makes a team because of his sexual orientation, not because he deserves it, starts to put the integrity of the game into question.

Enough with the social experiments and political correctness, NFL, just let them play!"

Well, since I started it, can at least defend my snicker.......which has zero to do with his being gay, black, from the sec or anything else....

It's about the hypocrisy of his statements vs actions......and, I believe, using his "coming out" to generate guilt, publicity, income, etc

He DID come out through an exclusive(paid) interview with ESPN.....and timed it leading upto the draft. I sensed right then that he was challenging or daring teams NOT to draft him (implied discrimination prior to it occurring??).....then said....

"but I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player"

Then signs a deal to go on Oprah to discuss how he wishes people would stop discussing him because.... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player....

Then signs a deal to do a 1-1/2 hour documentary movie about him growing up and dealing with his sexuality.....but still saying... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player

Then signs a deal to do his own reality show(based upon a gay man trying to make it in the NFL) ....it was nixed......but through this he was still saying..... I dont want to be identified as a gay NFL player, just an NFL player

Then gets drafted and doesnt make the team and literally says it was because he was gay. He did eventually retract that, but still says nothing will stop him and he will work harder and will be back. He's driven to prove people wrong.

So, when invited to the next combine, he shows up out of shape and unprepared.....but claims he WILL work harder(next time) and be playing football this year in either the NFL or Cfl........with the draft a month away and team camps 2 months away, its the perfect time to get ready....soooooooo 1 week later he....

...signs on with Dancing With The Stars??...wtf???......and THEN accepts an offer from Montreal, but has to come late because of his TV commitment.....but says football is his dream and he is 100% committed(after DWTS that is)....

Then shows up to camp late....and outta shape....and performs terribly. Though he says he will work twice as hard to get upto speed and help the team win a championship.....and even said "you would have to chop my legs off to prevent me from playing".......

Then.....2 weeks later.....he quit.....

So....there is my perspective....Ive never liked quitters or talkers(especially when they dont back it up) and Im completely bothered by people who act the victim when they aren;t..........and "look at me" media babies(just one of those things with me) and Sam rings these bell in everyway.....

So...yeah.....(snicker snicker)......and NOT because he's gay..... Ive said the exact same about guys like Tebow, Johnny, Lynch etc....

I hope Mr Couch will take the above as pretty objective evidence that Sams WAS using his sexual orientation to make a buck off of it.

& to a certain extent- I do agree with Cal- Sams was itching to file a sexual discrimination lawsuit if no team had drafted him. The NFL ought to be ashamed they bent over backwards to get Sams a new team after he was cut.

I dunno- now we have Catlin Jenner- the world just keeps on getting crazier every year. Is she eligible for the women's senior Olympics?

What about the multitude of late round picks and UDFA's who don't stick on with a team and then quit after two years to pursue something else? Are they attempting to sue the league too? If your reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that Sam is homosexual, then clearly you must feel that way about all players who quit the game early. Cleve

What? A lot of college players don't make it in the NFL. But I don't remember any of them attempting to glean

acceptance and special consideration from being gay. I say that, because he came out as gay, and as Mr. Hoorta

correctly explained, he was out there being interviewed about it, etc etc etc etc.

If he just wanted to be known as a football player, then why attempt to thrive off of coming out as gay? What

was the point? Exactly - he didn't really want to be known as a football player, he wanted to be known as

a Gay Football player. Pretty much the only reason I can figure, is that that notoriety brings with it discrimination lawsuit

possibilities. When he quit the canadian football team abruptly - it should be obvious that he really did not want

the chance to make it with the canadian football team. It isn't that hard to figure.

I dunno- now we have Catlin Jenner- the world just keeps on getting crazier every year. Is she eligible for the women's senior Olympics?

The answer is yes. Do you recall tennis pro Renee Richards?

I hope Mr Couch will take the above as pretty objective evidence that Sams WAS using his sexual orientation to make a buck off of it.

& to a certain extent- I do agree with Cal- Sams was itching to file a sexual discrimination lawsuit if no team had drafted him. The NFL ought to be ashamed they bent over backwards to get Sams a new team after he was cut.

The problem with this reasoning is the same problem with Cal's - it's inferring that the interview, and the whole scenario itself, was a money grab. What gives you that information? Why is the automatic assumption that it was solely a money-backed decision and not just a PR move?

According to multiple players, NFL franchises have been subtly asking for years if players were gay. They have not-so-subtly been conducting background checks for even longer. Sam had come out to his team before the 2013 season and, according to every report I've read thus far, experienced no animosity whatsoever. He went on to have the best season of his career by far and was named the SEC DPOY - all with a team that was fully aware of his sexual preferences. If an NFL team were to conduct a background check, there's no doubt that it would surface that Sam was gay. Then he'd face the problem of looking like he was afraid to release his sexual preference, which would call his personal character into question and no doubt he'd receive negative attention from both the straight and gay communities.

However, by getting out in front of it, he controlled the situation. It was a PR move, plain and simple.

What would you rather have had him do? Come out after the draft? Not come out at all?

Rumors began circulating that Kerry Rhodes was gay in 2013, which he adamantly denied - he never played another snap in the NFL despite having a decent on-field track record.

What about the multitude of late round picks and UDFA's who don't stick on with a team and then quit after two years to pursue something else? Are they attempting to sue the league too? If your reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that Sam is homosexual, then clearly you must feel that way about all players who quit the game early. Cleve

What? A lot of college players don't make it in the NFL. But I don't remember any of them attempting to glean

acceptance and special consideration from being gay. I say that, because he came out as gay, and as Mr. Hoorta

correctly explained, he was out there being interviewed about it, etc etc etc etc.

If he just wanted to be known as a football player, then why attempt to thrive off of coming out as gay? What

was the point? Exactly - he didn't really want to be known as a football player, he wanted to be known as

a Gay Football player. Pretty much the only reason I can figure, is that that notoriety brings with it discrimination lawsuit

possibilities. When he quit the canadian football team abruptly - it should be obvious that he really did not want

the chance to make it with the canadian football team. It isn't that hard to figure, Cleve.

So by releasing his sexual orientation and living as free a life as any straight, heterosexual male - he was attempting to "thrive" off of his position.

Got it.

What he should have done was say nothing, live in secret, let the media blow him up when they inevitably found out about his boyfriend, and then quit the league in shame.

TC, you are missing the whole point, which is, he came out as gay, then wanted

to be only known as a "football player", not a "gay football player" and get drafted.

And, he got his second chance, with the canadian team, and abruptly quit.

When somebody's actions directly conflict with their alleged intentions, something

is amiss. Any reasonable person would guess that he really didn't want to play football.

Now, can you quitcherbitchin and explain YOUR opinion of what that says about

his intentions?

TC, you are missing the whole point, which is, he came out as gay, then wanted

to be only known as a "football player", not a "gay football player" and get drafted.

And, he got his second chance, with the canadian team, and abruptly quit.

When somebody's actions directly conflict with their alleged intentions, something

is amiss. Any reasonable person would guess that he really didn't want to play football.

Now, can you quitcherbitchin and explain YOUR opinion of what that says about

his intentions?

First, he didn't quit. He left. There's a difference. He never informed his coaches that he was officially done with football and wanted to be released from his contract. He simply left - which signifies there are things going on in his personal life that are affecting him on the field. Take it from a guy who quit a team before due to a very dumb reason, you have to be 100% emotionally invested in football for you to even have a chance at performing. You can't deal with the rigors of camp and training if your mind is elsewhere, it just can't be done.

If you want an example of a guy trying to play when his personal life is a mess, look no further than Manziel.

Alouettes GM Jim Popp on the matter:

"He wanted to go home, and that's what he did. I don't know why," general manager Jim Popp told the Montreal Gazette. "When a guy wants to go home, they go home. He had some personal things to take care of. "I wouldn't be surprised if he returns. I'm surprised he left. I was very surprised. If he doesn't come back, I would think football's over for him. He's the one that has to face that. But I don't think he doesn't want to play football. That's why he came here."

It's also very possible that Sam realized he simply wasn't good enough to make the team (which he isn't). Sam is not a very good football player, it's plain and simple.

Here's a question for you - how do you feel about 49ers runningback Glen Coffee quitting in his second year - only a week before the 49ers first preseason game?

Sam's footwork in football is as terrible as his feet in dancing. But it does lead to the question nobody want's to ask but here we goes. So does this mean there is only 2 things in Texas, Steers and Queers?? :o;)

So, you are saying that he will make an appearance on Dancing with the Stars? Who would he team up with....a man or a woman?

Edit: oops, I see he already HAS made a DWTS appearance.

What in "your opinion" has happened to mitigate his ability to sue?

He made the team....even if it was the PS.

And apparently as per the comments above, the league made a good faith effort and even tried to go out of their way to get him a roster spot. Can't sue them for trying.

These all are mitigating factors.

Maybe...

I don't know where many of you get the assumption that he just wanted to sue. While I noted that factors exist that mitigate any claim or right of action he may have had, it is entirely possible that he just wanted to play. And it is entirely possible that something happened that caused him to leave Montreal that had nothing to do with wanting to quit.

Maybe he will try to re-up....or maybe he figured he was done trying to make it....and could do something else that he likes. His major is in Parks, Recreation and Tourism. So, while perhaps he can not make an NFL team, he could manage an NFL stadium?

So, you are saying that he will make an appearance on Dancing with the Stars? Who would he team up with....a man or a woman?

Newsflash--He showed up their already as a man, loaded with makeup per My Wife and can't dance either due to Club Feet.

To join the special forces?

No. He didn't quit to join the special forces. He quit because he didn't know what he wanted to do. He bounced around, got arrested (the charges were dropped), boxed, played semi-pro football, and THEN he ended up joining the special forces.

The point is, he thought he wanted to be a football player all the way up until he made it...then he realized he didn't want to be one. He missed the South, he wish he had stayed in school, he didn't like the professional athlete life, etc.

Maybe that's the case with Sam.

Newsflash--He showed up their already as a man, loaded with makeup per My Wife and can't dance either due to Club Feet.

Yea, I googled it and saw that he was like the 4th one to get cut.

Maybe it would have been better entertainment to have matched him up against that Duck Dynasty daughter....as isn't that family pretty much avowed anti-gay?

There's just a lot more honor in getting cut than there is in going home because you think you're going to get cut.

Jackie Robinson he is not.

Played pretty good in Rams camp, was last cut I believe, so things are going downhill for him for some reason.

But he'll always have Manziel.

Z

He was the co SEC DPOY... but also not good at football. What?

I also enjoy the idea that gay people are allowed to be gay... As long as they don't tell anyone, don't show any public affection, and just generally don't do anything that shows them as gay... Right...

1 simple question.... If he didn't come out and mention his sexual orientation, would we even know who the hell he was or care he quit? Did Marcus Marriotta or Jameis Winston have an interview that they declared they love women? Just go out and play Football.

I also enjoy the idea that gay people are allowed to be gay... As long as they don't tell anyone, don't show any public affection, and just generally don't do anything that shows them as gay... Right...

well i guess the co-SEC DPOY equates to jack shit in the NFL, just like the heisman and the……….

be gay all you want. just know how to shoot STRAIGHT when ISIS is rolling down your block.

He was the SEC DPOY because he outperformed everyone else on a pretty stacked defensive line that year.

Look at his body of work and he's nothing special. Quick first step, below average speed and strength, average football intelligence.

I'm not discounting his 2013 year, he played very well. Except that's the only year he showed much of anything.

So by releasing his sexual orientation and living as free a life as any straight, heterosexual male - he was attempting to "thrive" off of his position.

Got it.

What he should have done was say nothing, live in secret, let the media blow him up when they inevitably found out about his boyfriend, and then quit the league in shame.

"Then Quit the league in shame" ????

HE quit the freaking CFL. Thats on HIM ! Not Montreal, not the NFL, not heterosexuals, not the media, not VH1, not Browns Board posters.He quit.

Yup... but when your dream is to play in the NFL, the CFL might just be a bit of a let down.

The answer is yes. Do you recall tennis pro Renee Richards?

Excepting the fact that Renee had the surgery and Jenner still wants to "date" women? Perfect parallel...

According to multiple players, NFL franchises have been subtly asking for years if players were gay. They have not-so-subtly been conducting background checks for even longer.

All true, but surely you are not making the case that there has never been a gay player in the NFL...

He made the team....even if it was the PS.

And apparently as per the comments above, the league made a good faith effort and even tried to go out of their way to get him a roster spot. Can't sue them for trying.

These all are mitigating factors.

... and he's been cut from two teams. Not very mitigating...

As for the league lobbying for him... it's tantamount to them saying "we know you may not want him because he's gay, but..."

Well written...

Still could be that he has just been beaten down.

That an overachiever at the collegiate level cannot will himself to success at the next level... and he knows it.

That try as he might the fire is out and all that is left are his words.

"Then Quit the league in shame" ????

HE quit the freaking CFL. Thats on HIM ! Not Montreal, not the NFL, not heterosexuals, not the media, not VH1, not Browns Board posters.He quit.

Well, again, it was reported that he left the team for personal reasons.....that could imply that if he gets those personal issues straight...that he could be back.

(of course....maybe those "personal issues" were that other members of the Alouettes are not as tolerant of his sexual orientation...and made him aware of it. That is pure speculation).

Archived