THE BROWNS BOARD

Mini Camp notes

Zombo

Guys, you're taking what I'm saying all wrong . . . or I'm saying it wrong (not sure which).

I'm not bailing on the Team, and I'm not saying Super Bowl or bust - or even Playoffs for that matter.

The QB situation was pretty much a no win prospect this year, but the end result just seems too short sighted to me.

If McCown = Hoyer or Hoyer = McCown (however you want to put it), I'd rather we'd kept Hoyer - he's got more years left for one, not to mention the existing Team chemistry/continuity.

Water under the bridge.

I'm thinking longer term and finally putting an end to the QB carousel.

Some of the bigger thoughts running through my head right now are along the lines of these :

Does McCown do well and have two/three more years in him - enough to at least get some mentoring to a new QB ?

What are our chances of landing a good QB next year ?

The Season good or bad, what's the impact too the Team ?

IF McCowns' normal ability is like the year with the Bears, then putting him behind potentially the best OL in the League is going to lead to a winning Season.

Caveats to this being a Rookie OC & Offensive System (and I'm not sure I want Pettine getting into the O - didn't work out well for Marty).

Assuming (yeah, we all know about that) the D is improved and relatively healthy, with the above O should result in a stable Off Season next year.

We'll probably keep some talent that might be looking to leave, and we'll have more continuity in our Coaching staff.

The downside here is still the QB situation - and our position will make it difficult if not impossible to get who we want.

Now if McCown is actually as bad as he looked last year (even behind our OL), then it's going to be a long year.

The plus here is that we'll have a pretty good shot at getting a decent QB (should one exist) next year.

Mack will probably opt out of the remainder of his contract, and Gibson will probably bail as well - and who knows who else.

The really big negative here, outside of another sucky Season, is the potential of seeing another new Coaching staff next year - I'm not sure how short a leash Haslam has on this Staff.

The whole McCown deal is just too much like drafting Weeden . . . a panicky quick fix move that's going to set us back another couple years.

Super Bowl ?

Without having seen what we really have right now, I'm thinking maybe 8 -8 (Schedule), and I'll be happy if we beat Seattle (might be the only game I get to see this year) .

Too long, and I probably still didn't clear things up.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does McCown do well and have two/three more years in him - enough to at least get some mentoring to a new QB ? Hoyer never had this OL depth. Does Josh take advantage of OL depth Josh has never seen??

What are our chances of landing a good QB next year ? First 10 picks will not all be QB's='s pretty damn good..

The Season good or bad, what's the impact too the Team ? To prove to Mack and Gipson and other's this is the place to be period.

IF McCowns' normal ability is like the year with the Bears, then putting him behind potentially the best OL in the League is going to lead to a winning Season.

Caveats to this being a Rookie OC & Offensive System (and I'm not sure I want Pettine getting into the O - didn't work out well for Marty). As a Good HC and you want to remain, you better get involved in your O side of the ball when you rank where we do

Assuming (yeah, we all know about that) the D is improved and relatively healthy, with the above O should result in a stable Off Season next year. Time will tell (paper)

We'll probably keep some talent that might be looking to leave, and we'll have more continuity in our Coaching staff. Nobody keeps talent that wants to leave.

The downside here is still the QB situation - and our position will make it difficult if not impossible to get who we want. With more depth at positions gets us more options we have never had.

Now if McCown is actually as bad as he looked last year (even behind our OL), then it's going to be a long year.

The plus here is that we'll have a pretty good shot at getting a decent QB (should one exist) next year. Finally we agree

Mack will probably opt out of the remainder of his contract, and Gibson will probably bail as well - and who knows who else.

The really big negative here, outside of another sucky Season, is the potential of seeing another new Coaching staff next year - I'm not sure how short a leash Haslam has on this Staff. See Coach Chud

The whole McCown deal is just too much like drafting Weeden . . . a panicky quick fix move that's going to set us back another couple years. Manziel and Shaw are not your long term answers. Josh fits for now.

Super Bowl ? It MAY happen now with this FO, IMO.

Without having seen what we really have right now, I'm thinking maybe 8 -8 (Schedule), and I'll be happy if we beat Seattle (might be the only game I get to see this year) . Be our 12th Man and enjoy as Wilson runs for his life.

Too long, and I probably still didn't clear things up. If JM is your hope MOVE ON if not Go Browns!!

hey i liked hoyer too but he didn't have the arm strength mccown has nor the experience behind center.

i wish hoyer well but it's not like he's taken the QB position over as of yet for the texans.

i say give this thing a chance before we start rippin it. who knows where this will lead. it's not like we haven't been through this before. only this time i FINALLY have faith in the FO and coaching staff.

and as for the QB position of the future? a lot of that depends on what the 2 backups look like and if there is a chance for one of them to take over one day or just be another thad lewis.

hey i liked hoyer too but he didn't have the arm strength mccown has nor the experience behind center.

i wish hoyer well but it's not like he's taken the QB position over as of yet for the texans.

i say give this thing a chance before we start rippin it. who knows where this will lead. it's not like we haven't been through this before. only this time i FINALLY have faith in the FO and coaching staff.

and as for the QB position of the future? a lot of that depends on what the 2 backups look like and if there is a chance for one of them to take over one day or just be another thad lewis.

What if Thad Lewis is the one who takes over?

yeah, ok. because his body of work to this point has garnered him a starting position in the nfl (other than due to injury)?

If that's the rationale, none of our QB's have earned a starting position in the NFL.

I do see Thad as fourth best. Maybe even fifth.

If we have a decent Season we won't be picking in the top 10, or even top 20 - I have no idea how many quality QB's are going to be in the Draft, this year was mighty damn lean.

Manziel is not my hope.

One thing I saw in the 7Q/8Q of his play,other than him being woefully unprepared, is that he looks to be fragile/easily injured - at least at this level.

Maybe thing will change as we get into TC and Pre-Season . . . right now I just don't know.

Its encouraging seeing more writers recognize McCown's ability to command the huddle. If he can be at least on par with early season Hoyer and the oline picks up where we

left off, then the only concern I have is making sure the defense doesn't start the campaign out as flat as they did in 14'.

Its encouraging seeing more writers recognize McCown's ability to command the huddle. If he can be at least on par with early season Hoyer and the oline picks up where we

left off, then the only concern I have is making sure the defense doesn't start the campaign out as flat as they did in 14'.

That shouldn't happen, at least in the secondary. That was mostly down to system, and you can see the pattern where Pettine has been DC before, it takes half a season for the system to kick in. The run game...who knows.

Would still be an upgrade over any QB that has worn brown and orange in the last 30 years.

Would still be an upgrade over any QB that has worn brown and orange in the last 30 years.

That hurts <because it's true>

McCown is the Backup and Manziel will be the starter. Manziel just has to prove that he's taken the steps to maturity and understands that he is the face of the franchise. Manziel is lightyears ahead of McCown in talent and potential. There were plenty of other lesser QBs that started last season, now it's Manziel's time. McCown is nothing but an insurance policy in case Manziel can't hack it... also serving as a mentor since BOYer wasn't man enough to do it.

If we have a decent Season we won't be picking in the top 10, or even top 20 - I have no idea how many quality QB's are going to be in the Draft, this year was mighty damn lean.

Manziel is not my hope.

One thing I saw in the 7Q/8Q of his play,other than him being woefully unprepared, is that he looks to be fragile/easily injured - at least at this level.

Maybe thing will change as we get into TC and Pre-Season . . . right now I just don't know.

either way why worry about something that is not under your control? this squad of FO and coaching personnel have done a pretty good job in setting us up for success, so why wouldn't you think that they also have eyes on the future like you?

McCown is the Backup and Manziel will be the starter. Manziel just has to prove that he's taken the steps to maturity and understands that he is the face of the franchise. Manziel is lightyears ahead of McCown in talent and potential. There were plenty of other lesser QBs that started last season, now it's Manziel's time. McCown is nothing but an insurance policy in case Manziel can't hack it... also serving as a mentor since BOYer wasn't man enough to do it.

PoG you are one of a kind my friend. never say never.

McCown is the Backup and Manziel will be the starter

Saved me a lot of time not having to read the rest of your nonsense.

PoeticG- Please return all your Browns Gear to Berea, Ohio at the Stadium to anybody that will listen to your JM story including all street people. From your friend, Jimma Haslam.

either way why worry about something that is not under your control? this squad of FO and coaching personnel have done a pretty good job in setting us up for success, so why wouldn't you think that they also have eyes on the future like you?

PoG you are one of a kind my friend. never say never.

If the Season is bad, then we could loose this FO . . .

This FO (outside of the Testgate stupidity) is the one bright spot we have going for us.

I just wish I could get excited over having McCown as the QB . . . seeing him with the rest of the Team might change that, but right now the thought is just a huge wet blanket over everything.

Time will tell.

If the Season is bad, then we could loose this FO . . .

This FO (outside of the Testgate stupidity) is the one bright spot we have going for us.

I just wish I could get excited over having McCown as the QB . . . seeing him with the rest of the Team might change that, but right now the thought is just a huge wet blanket over everything.

Time will tell.

see this is where i have hope (where i usually don't).

i think jimmy haslam with all his misgivings will turn out to be a great owner because he'll let farmer and pettine shape the team, without a one year lease.

see this is where i have hope (where i usually don't).

i think jimmy haslam with all his misgivings will turn out to be a great owner because he'll let farmer and pettine shape the team, without a one year lease.

I totally agree. I think Haslam is all in with Farmer & Pettine. I think this Team may surprise a lot of people this year.

Mike

Does McCown do well and have two/three more years in him - enough to at least get some mentoring to a new QB ?

What are our chances of landing a good QB next year ?

The whole McCown deal is just too much like drafting Weeden . . . a panicky quick fix move that's going to set us back another couple years.

Nothing like Wheezy. Not a whiff of panic involved. And, yes, there are still a couple good years in the low-mileage McCown... he is more than enough bridge for that length of time and a better "mentor" than Hoyer ever would have been.

The only question is who will be at the other end of that bridge...

Fuck Favre...

Yeah that 70 rating he posted 5-years ago is still something to behold.

But why stop at 30? Paul McDonald Pulls Out?

IF he were lightyears ahead in both talent and potential he's already be the starter...

Yeah that 70 rating he posted 5-years ago is still something to behold.

But why stop at 30? Paul McDonald Pulls Out?

Better than Manziel's 42 and Shaw's 55.2.

Because there hasn't been one single QB over the past 30 years to be proud of, except for a valiant effort from Sir Timothy the Bruised and Beaten.

Is it safe to say that Farmer can have a 43 man active roster and 10 man practice squad settled before his suspension??

Is it safe to say that Farmer can have a 43 man active roster and 10 man practice squad settled before his suspension??

Suspension starts at midnight the Sunday before the 1st regular season game & ends immediately following the 4th regular season game. That gives him 3 days after the last preseason game & that's precious little time to make cuts & replace some with other teams' cuts. He DOES have Bill Kuharich as his backup & Kuharich was Farmer's boss in KC. I think we'll come out OK.

Mike

I will say there is something kind of strange about him.....not sure what it is, but he just seems weird......

I do know he's an introvert and a complete loner. Doesnt eat or hang with other players.....and really comes off(to me) as strange when interviewed....

Dont know if this ties into his "personal problems".....but I have wondered to myself if he has some kind of emotional or mental issues.....bi polar?.....depression?.....social anxiety?.....something like that......dunno, Im probably very wrong, but it has me wondering.....

Mud, me too. There's just something about the guy that makes me a little uncomfortable.

Mike

and i guess farmers' cell phone access to anything including 'pizza pizza' will be turned off during the 4 games…….

this team that haslam has put together will not falter over the absence of our GM during the actual playing of the games. anyone that thinks different is out of their gourd.

Suspension starts at midnight the Sunday before the 1st regular season game & ends immediately following the 4th regular season game. That gives him 3 days after the last preseason game & that's precious little time to make cuts & replace some with other teams' cuts. He DOES have Bill Kuharich as his backup & Kuharich was Farmer's boss in KC. I think we'll come out OK.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Roster decisions tuff enough and the wavier risk just to get some of these guys to our practice squad is going to be risky. We stole Slater from Seattle before they could put him on IR and I see some darts coming our way from other teams when we draft 12 solids.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived