THE BROWNS BOARD

controversial new Bible translation

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last few weeks of OBF have really just been busy examples for why I wouldn't vote for Dr Carson (if he is this bad, and I assume he's pretty close).

OBF, you haven't provided any scientific evidence for creationism yet. Why not?

The last few weeks of OBF have really just been busy examples for why I wouldn't vote for Dr Carson (if he is this bad, and I assume he's pretty close).

OBF, you haven't provided any scientific evidence for creationism yet. Why not?

Cry me a river because you won't vote for Dr. Carson because of what OBF says LOL.

Cry me a river because you won't vote for Dr. Carson because of what OBF says LOL.

When the first Carson thread came up, a few of us were very turned off by his believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. We pointed to this being a sign of a lack of reasoning. A lack of listening to scientific facts he disagrees with.

You've basically served as one giant example for these concerns. You've helped show the downsides of beliefs like this

You know what sucks balls in being a Christian, is other Christians arguing about things that matter NOT to the kingdom of God.

There is NOTHING in the world of Christendom that says that we must believe in creationism... nothing. And for a Christian to believe that there might be some evidence of evolution and that the two can somehow harmonize with each other is not absurd.

Here's my point. A lot of Christians think that to be a Christian you have to have this:

A belief in Jesus Christ

Believe in the infallible Bible - Because.. you know, it's the word of God.

Believe in the Trinity

YET, only one of those beliefs got first century Christians saved and that was their belief in Christ.

Yet Christians today not only pile on the three previously mentioned, the first being tantamount of course, but they also, depending on denomination and affiliation heap mountains of other man made gibberish on to what it means to be a christian.

Belief in the evolution, big bang, blah blah... should mean nothing to a Christ follower. Why do we get in these petty arguments?

If you want to ultimately prove that Christianity is a myth, prove that Christ isn't who he said he was. Plain and very simple. Prove he didn't raise from the dead, show himself to over 500 after his resurrection, which then lead to a spiritual revolution all through out the middle east and beyond.

If Christ is who he said he is, then there is a Father/God over all things. How God made the world and set the laws of creation in motion really means nothing. Sure we can learn and know aspects of it and speculate, but if Christ is who he says he is, then there has to be a God.

Am I making sense to other Christians here. Naysayers have to prove Christ isn't who he says he is. They can argue for atheism, big bang, evolution, etc., but if they can't disprove Christ, their stance is moot. That is why Christianity stands on Christ and Christ alone. Christians must stop trying to make Christianity more than Christ ever said it needed to be.

Morons... sheesh. No wonder people hate religion.

When the first Carson thread came up, a few of us were very turned off by his believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. We pointed to this being a sign of a lack of reasoning. A lack of listening to scientific facts he disagrees with.

You've basically served as one giant example for these concerns. You've helped show the downsides of beliefs like this

If Ben Carson loses by one vote that will be a huge guilt trip you have laid on me.

You know what sucks balls in being a Christian, is other Christians arguing about things that matter NOT to the kingdom of God.

There is NOTHING in the world of Christendom that says that we must believe in creationism... nothing. And for a Christian to believe that there might be some evidence of evolution and that the two can somehow harmonize with each other is not absurd.

Here's my point. A lot of Christians think that to be a Christian you have to have this:

A belief in Jesus Christ

Believe in the Trinity

YET, only one of those beliefs got first century Christians saved and that was their belief in Christ.

Yet Christians today not only pile on the three previously mentioned, the first being tantamount of course, but they also, depending on denomination and affiliation heap mountains of other man made gibberish on to what it means to be a christian.

Belief in the evolution, big bang, blah blah... should mean nothing to a Christ follower. Why do we get in these petty arguments?

If you want to ultimately prove that Christianity is a myth, prove that Christ isn't who he said he was. Plain and very simple. Prove he didn't raise from the dead, show himself to over 500 after his resurrection, which then lead to a spiritual revolution all through out the middle east and beyond.

If Christ is who he said he is, then there is a Father/God over all things. How God made the world and set the laws of creation in motion really means nothing. Sure we can learn and know aspects of it and speculate, but if Christ is who he says he is, then there has to be a God.

Am I making sense to other Christians here. Naysayers have to prove Christ isn't who he says he is. They can argue for atheism, big bang, evolution, etc., but if they can't disprove Christ, their stance is moot. That is why Christianity stands on Christ and Christ alone. Christians must stop trying to make Christianity more than Christ ever said it needed to be.

And here is an interesting part of religion. Even in a post where you made a good amount of sense, you added some statements that made no sense.

Your side says that a man defied everything we know about the laws of nature, and came back to life, after being dead for a few days....

...but it is on the other side to prove that didn't happen? What? How does that work?

If I came in here and said I found a leprechaun yesterday, and he gave me his pot of gold, the burden of proof would be on me.

And here is an interesting part of religion. Even in a post where you made a good amount of sense, you added some statements that made no sense.

Your side says that a man defied everything we know about the laws of nature, and came back to life, after being dead for a few days....

...but it is on the other side to prove that didn't happen? What? How does that work?

If I came in here and said I found a leprechaun yesterday, and he gave me his pot of gold, the burden of proof would be on me.

And it still is Woodrow. On them I mean. For the guys who believe that Jesus Christ is their Savior. When they die if they do not receive eternal life in the kingdom of heaven then you win.

Fair enough?

WSS

I am going to answer this as I have been the only Christian defending the faith so you must be talking to me:

We are instructed to defend the faith in response to those who challenge the Bible, Jesus and the gospel. The Bible calls this contending for the faith (Jude 4)

One can be a Christian and an evolutionist, but such a position is both scientifically and biblically untenable. The Lord Jesus took a literal view of Genesis. Belief in the historicity of Genesis is not essential to our salvation. However, we must add that the biblical record and teaching concerning origins is a vitally important issue. In Genesis 1:1 we read:

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.” God put that great truth in the very first verse of the Bible. He wanted us to know, right from verse 1 of the Bible, that He had created.

A belief in Jesus Christ : You need more than just a belief: Romans 10:9,10:

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

The importance of the word of God:

We are recreated by the word: 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

James 1:18:Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

We are indwelt by the word: Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom

We are built up with the word: Acts 20:32 Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

We are healed by His word:Psalm 107: 20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

Faith comes through the word: Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Romans 10:17: So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God

We are to feed on the word: Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”

Jesus is called the word: John 1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Our minds are renewed by the study of the word: Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

God has magnified His word above His name: Psalm 138:2: For thou hast magnified thy Word above all thy Name.

We are to study the word of God: 2 Timothy 2:15: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

*And although the early church did not have the written word of God they had the spoken word whether from Paul, Peter, John, James or the other disciples

Believe in the Trinity: Although the word Trinity is not found in the bible you had The Father and He was God, and Jesus was God and Peter specifically calls the Holy Spirit God. But there is only one God and the God in three persons makes sense going back to Genesis where God says Let us make man in our Image. The plurality of God is the Trinity.

YET, only one of those beliefs got first century Christians saved and that was their belief in Christ. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Belief in the evolution, big bang, blah blah... should mean nothing to a Christ follower. Why do we get in these petty arguments? Since you were addressing me the discussion was way more than evolution but a total denial of the bible and of Jesus as being the Son of God. Not petty arguments.

I am going to answer this as I have been the only Christian defending the faith so you must be talking to me:

We are instructed to defend the faith in response to those who challenge the Bible, Jesus and the gospel. The Bible calls this contending for the faith (Jude 4)

One can be a Christian and an evolutionist, but such a position is both scientifically and biblically untenable. The Lord Jesus took a literal view of Genesis. Belief in the historicity of Genesis is not essential to our salvation. However, we must add that the biblical record and teaching concerning origins is a vitally important issue. In Genesis 1:1 we read:

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.” God put that great truth in the very first verse of the Bible. He wanted us to know, right from verse 1 of the Bible, that He had created.

A belief in Jesus Christ : You need more than just a belief: Romans 10:9,10:

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

The importance of the word of God:

We are recreated by the word: 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

James 1:18:Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

We are indwelt by the word: Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom

We are built up with the word: Acts 20:32 Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

We are healed by His word:Psalm 107: 20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

Faith comes through the word: Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Romans 10:17: So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God

We are to feed on the word: Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”

Jesus is called the word: John 1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Our minds are renewed by the study of the word: Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

God has magnified His word above His name: Psalm 138:2: For thou hast magnified thy Word above all thy Name.

We are to study the word of God: 2 Timothy 2:15: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

*And although the early church did not have the written word of God they had the spoken word whether from Paul, Peter, John, James or the other disciples

Believe in the Trinity: Although the word Trinity is not found in the bible you had The Father and He was God, and Jesus was God and Peter specifically calls the Holy Spirit God. But there is only one God and the God in three persons makes sense going back to Genesis where God says Let us make man in our Image. The plurality of God is the Trinity.

YET, only one of those beliefs got first century Christians saved and that was their belief in Christ. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Belief in the evolution, big bang, blah blah... should mean nothing to a Christ follower. Why do we get in these petty arguments? Since you were addressing me the discussion was way more than evolution but a total denial of the bible and of Jesus as being the Son of God. Not petty arguments.

...................is this the part of the sermon where we say Amen?

And it still is Woodrow. On them I mean. For the guys who believe that Jesus Christ is their Savior. When they die if they do not receive eternal life in the kingdom of heaven then you win.

Fair enough?

WSS

No, I don't win then. Don't purposely paint it in that light to make me (or the side I'm representing) look bad. (even though that is one of your favorite things to do).

I have said many times he is allowed to believe what he wants. I've never told him he can't. I've just been trying to get any ounce of support for his believes out of him. So far, I've basically just added a sample size of 1 to the "very religious people aren't always the brightest" trend. Also the "why very religious people shouldn't lead our country/state/whatever trend".

There is damage in having a scientifically illiterate population. He is willfully ignoring science on this topic, which doesn't necessarily impact much. But that willful ignorance of science will show up in more impactful issues, like climate change. I am not a big fan of that.

OBF, provide scientific proof in support of creationism

*****************************************************************************************************************************

No it's over Woody. I won't even ask you to provide proof we evolved from pond scum because I know you have no proof. There is a time to walk away from a debate like this as it is just beating a dead horse. It is getting tiresome and has gone on too long. Spiritual things are not real to you because they cannot be measured and studied scientifically. But since you believe science will one day give us the answer to how things came about physically out of nothing get back to me if they ever make that discovery. Until you can prove what you believe it is no more valid than mine.

Until you can prove what you believe it is no more valid than mine.

That right there is the part that gets to me.

Believe what you want, idc. But how in the hell can you think they're equally as valid? How is your sense of reasoning that warped? Is religion this dangerous to people? Shit.

I'd rather you say "I realize I am going 100% off of faith. I understand your side has evidence in support of it. I still choose my faith, even if there is less evidence, because it is my faith."

At least that would be slightly better.

OBF, provide scientific proof in support of creationism

*****************************************************************************************************************************

No it's over Woody. I won't even ask you to provide proof we evolved from pond scum because I know you have no proof. There is a time to walk away from a debate like this as it is just beating a dead horse. It is getting tiresome and has gone on too long. Spiritual things are not real to you because they cannot be measured and studied scientifically. But since you believe science will one day give us the answer to how things came about physically out of nothing get back to me if they ever make that discovery. Until you can prove what you believe it is no more valid than mine.

I created the universe. Since you can't disprove it, I guess my theory that I created it is just as valid as the theory of evolution and creationism.

Never mind common sense or the fact that science has theorized and later proven almost all of their theories. Too bad. Since they haven't proven it now, I will just get pissy and wonder why schools aren't teaching about how I created the universe in the science class.

That right there is the part that gets to me.

Believe what you want, idc. But how in the hell can you think they're equally as valid? How is your sense of reasoning that warped? Is religion this dangerous to people? Shit.

I'd rather you say "I realize I am going 100% off of faith. I understand your side has evidence in support of it. I still choose my faith, even if there is less evidence, because it is my faith."

At least that would be slightly better.

I believe I have said I was going 100 percent off faith unless something can be proven otherwise. Theories that you say are almost proven I have said I will wait until they are proven (if ever). I have posted enough links already about serious flaws in the theory of evolution. My guess is Albert Einstein is smarter than both of us. He believed in (and I can post links if you want) a God who created the universe. He did not believe in a personal God.

OBF's kids likely avoided any punishment by blaming anything that happened on demons appearing. "Since you can't disprove my story that a demon stole my homework then I guess I don't have to be punished, Dad."

Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it Proverbs 22:6 - My kids have turned out very well. One of the reasons society is a mess today is because of lack of parenting.

No, I don't win then. Don't purposely paint it in that light to make me (or the side I'm representing) look bad. (even though that is one of your favorite things to do).

If you think you look bad it's not because of anything I've said. You can take the credit yourself. But watching you do it is admittedly fun.

I have said many times he is allowed to believe what he wants. I've never told him he can't. I've just been trying to get any ounce of support for his believes out of him. So far, I've basically just added a sample size of 1 to the "very religious people aren't always the brightest" trend. Also the "why very religious people shouldn't lead our country/state/whatever trend".

There is damage in having a scientifically illiterate population. He is willfully ignoring science on this topic, which doesn't necessarily impact much. But that willful ignorance of science will show up in more impactful issues, like climate change. I am not a big fan of that.

Well I've stated my opinion on climate change enough times that I don't need to bore you with it here again.

Keep up the good fight, your diligence will save us all.

WSS

I believe I have said I was going 100 percent off faith unless something can be proven otherwise. Theories that you say are almost proven I have said I will wait until they are proven (if ever). I have posted enough links already about serious flaws in the theory of evolution. My guess is Albert Einstein is smarter than both of us. He believed in (and I can post links if you want) a God who created the universe. He did not believe in a personal God.

1) you really haven't pointed out actual evidence against evolution or in support of creationism. You're just following the science denier playbook which says "throw a bunch of shit at the wall, if the other side can't completely disprove everything, I win." I invite you to go one at a time.

2) Einstein, in those letters, said "call me agnostic". He also said what you believe is childish. So, if you're calling Einstein's opinion the end all be all, you're wrong. About many things.

3) what about hawking? He's pretty smart...

Well I've stated my opinion on climate change enough times that I don't need to bore you with it here again.

Keep up the good fight, your diligence will save us all.

WSS

Yes, how dare i continue to post my same opinions on this board. It sucks I'm the only one that does it. All of your posts are always fresh and new....

In a US court of law you have to place your hand on a bible, tell the truth, and prove guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Where is the reasonable doubt in the theory of evolution? I'm yet to find one. We have proven the earth is more than 6000 years old.. so don't bore me with that bullshit. I respect a Christians point of view as my mother and father are catholic, but you cannot tell me with a straight face that we came from nothing.. and that we existed in our present form since our creation.

This contradicts the mountain of evidence supporting evolution versus the one single book that simply put states "no you're wrong."

Well, I believe it's an irresponsible cheapshot to go after somebody's kids.

Liberals went after Bush's kids, but if anybody ever cricitzes obamao's kids...well,

they'd better not.

And liberals always want "serious" discussion, on a civilized level. Until they

decide to go low blow personal vendettas at anybody who doesn't toe the line

and stop believing in what they don't believe in.

well, if Logic, blowehard, and woodyasswipepeckerhead would take one minute, stfu, and do

a little searchie, they could find out why being arrogant ass about evolution isn't

all that validated. Science CAN BE WRONG.

Cal, the only link you put up that wasn't from a clearly biased site (ministries and Christian sites) is the Guardian where the article says that it just draws more attention to the fact that more complete fossil specimens need to be found.

It doesn't matter anyway. Peter Pan created it all and you can't disprove that.

no they didn't. And nobody's really gone after Obama's kids either. relax.

Seems like the Bush twins don't like the Republican's

The one registered with the wrong party. That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/george-w-bushs-daughters-are-not-republicans-2014-9

Archived