THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Season awards....

Mudfly

With the last 2 drafts, plus all the young UDFA's, there is so much young talent on this team that hasn't reached potential....it's pretty exciting to imagine what they can be with another year or 2 of development......I think we have several "future" All-pros about to step up....

So, decided to speculate on who will break out and become star quality players for us this year.....I have 5 categories....

1) Offensive Break out player of the year.....the award for an existing player who is poised to give us a Pro-bowl type season......my candidates are Taylor Gabriel, Isaiah Crowell, Rob Housler and Terrence West.....

And my winner is Taylor Gabriel......who I think will far exceed his amazing first year and earn his position as a starter and, ultimately, our best WR.....

2) Defensive Break out player of the year.....my candidates are Mingo, Solomon, Kirksey, Gilbert and Kwaun Williams.....all poised to step up to the next level......

And my winner is Justin Gilbert(of course)......who I think will show us why he was drafted #8....

3) Comeback player of the year.... the award for a veteran player who " returns" to form or steps up beyond past performances.....my candidates are Josh McCown, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline & Phil Taylor.....

And my winner is Josh McCown......who I think is in a great position to have his best seasons ahead of him.....

4) Best veteran acquisition....the candidates are McCown, Bowe, Hartline, Starks, Housler, Williams and Lee(not a FA, but still included)......

And my winner is....(hard to pick)(ha!)....Id give it to McCown, but he already won one...sooo, Im gonna pick Lee and think he'll add more benefit than most realize......

5) Rookie of the year....this one is hard too....the candidates are many(and obvious), so Im not listing them all.....however, my top candidates are Shelton, Orchard, Erving, Johnson & Cooper

And the winner is Duke Johnson......just thinking he will add dynamic presence to the running, passing AND kicking game......ultimately being the rookie with the most influence overall....

So....there it is......yours?.....

O Breakout - Crowell - think he'll end up being the 1st/2nd down back, with west spelling him and Johnson the 'scat' type, and his numbers will reflect that. 1k, another 8 TDs. Honourable mention - Gabriel

D Breakout - Mingo - assuming health! Was set for a big year last year until injury in game one, a year in, should be even better. HM - Solomon

Comeback - Bowe - misused last year in KC, seems Farmer had plans for him and that's been reflected in OTAs. HM - McCown

Veteran - If I'm not allowed to give more than one award to each player...Williams gives us a quality, pro-bowl type player to round out the secondary. Sure, Gilbert might improve, but if Williams plays up to his ability Gilbert doesn't get close. HM - Starks

Rookie - Johnson - it seems like the obvious one at the moment, but then shifty backs always look good at this time of year. HM - I'd love to see Orchard having a Von Miller type rookie season, racking up sacks in situational play.

O Breakout - Crowell - think he'll end up being the 1st/2nd down back, with west spelling him and Johnson the 'scat' type, and his numbers will reflect that. 1k, another 8 TDs. Honourable mention - Gabriel

D Breakout - Mingo - assuming health! Was set for a big year last year until injury in game one, a year in, should be even better. HM - Solomon

Comeback - Bowe - misused last year in KC, seems Farmer had plans for him and that's been reflected in OTAs. HM - McCown

Veteran - If I'm not allowed to give more than one award to each player...Williams gives us a quality, pro-bowl type player to round out the secondary. Sure, Gilbert might improve, but if Williams plays up to his ability Gilbert doesn't get close. HM - Starks

Rookie - Johnson - it seems like the obvious one at the moment, but then shifty backs always look good at this time of year. HM - I'd love to see Orchard having a Von Miller type rookie season, racking up sacks in situational play.

You know what I like best about this exercise ?......all the answers look good!......:)

Good questions...

1) Offensive Break out player of the year... Crow

I thought he built performance really well through his rookie season to become a complete back. I expect it to continue through 2015. His rugged, one-cut style is made for the ZBS.

Duke will be a nice change-of-pace RB, but that's all... for now.

2) Defensive Break out player of the year... Tough one... hard to choose between Kirksey and Robertson.

I believe the D-line is going to do a much better job of bottling up the opposing O-line. No position benefits from this more than ILB. Dansby can't "break out", so that leaves one of his running buddies... who bookended Karlos in tackles last year. Kirksey had the sacks; Robertson the INTs.

Take the lower mileage choice... Kirksey.

3) Comeback player of the year... Gip...

The Kid just has too much to play for. Word is that while he arrived late to mini, he arrived sharp and will be ready to go come TC.

4) Best veteran acquisition.. McCown...

Starting QB and mentor is a combination just too much for any other to surpass.

5) Rookie of the year.... Hard to go against Shelton, but that's never stopped me before... Cooper.

May only be a role player, a designated pass rusher, but he brings natural ability we've not seen in a big man in some time. His splash will be greater than Shelton's steady trench work.

1.OB-POY= Gabe your winner. He is wide open every damn down, now just hit him in stride. Hawk close 2nd. With 4 RB's in mix hard to breakout? 2.DB-POY= Kruger your winner(pro bowl). It better be a DL or LB or we are not stopping the run. Kirksey, Soloman and Orchard are just more hungry than Mingo. 3.CB-POY= GIPSON your winner or whiner. I say winner with to much to play for, Pay the Man. 4. Best Vet Aqu.= Better be McCown or we are so screwed(need I say more). 5.R-OY= Shelton your winner. how many times have we missed on our 1st pick? Not this kid. Clogging and pressure from middle of pocket will out weigh anything Duke can do with his playing time. Go Browns!!

Archived