THE BROWNS BOARD

Pope says weapons manufacturers can't call themselves Christian

OldBrownsFan

The bible says there will come a day when the nations will beat their swords into plowshares. That day has not come yet. If any nation is unwise enough to do this today they will end up plowing the fields for the nations who kept their swords. In the world today there is only peace through strength. Manufacturing of weapons is necessary. ISIS (among many others) would love to see nations lay down their arms. Weapons are needed for self defense as well as a being a deterrent from being attacked. One day weapons won't be necessary but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-says-weapons-manufacturers-cant-call-themselves-christian-184139430.html

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bible says there will come a day when the nations will beat their swords into plowshares. That day has not come yet. If any nation is unwise enough to do this today they will end up plowing the fields for the nations who kept their swords. In the world today there is only peace through strength. Manufacturing of weapons is necessary. ISIS (among many others) would love to see nations lay down their arms. Weapons are needed for self defense as well as a being a deterrent from being attacked. One day weapons won't be necessary but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-says-weapons-manufacturers-cant-call-themselves-christian-184139430.html

I don't think the pope could or would criticize countries for building defensive weapons. But these weapons manufacturers, with the help of their respective govts....are peddling weapons en masse to every hot spot on the globe for their own profit. This is how weapons profliferate out to groups like ISIS.

People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday.

Weapons manufacturers are necessary to arm the Swiss Guard, the security of the Pope:

The Swiss Guard use traditional weapons, such as a sword and a halberd, as well as modern weapons such as the SIG P220 and Glock 19 pistols, the Steyr TMPmachine pistol and submachine guns like the Heckler & Koch MP5A3.

People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday.

Weapons manufacturers are necessary to arm the Swiss Guard, the security of the Pope:

The Swiss Guard use traditional weapons, such as a sword and a halberd, as well as modern weapons such as the SIG P220 and Glock 19 pistols, the Steyr TMPmachine pistol and submachine guns like the Heckler & Koch MP5A3.

now you tell me when an average joe in america would need any of those weapons?

miltary and law enforce meant yes. people like you and me and anyone else in this country…………..no.

miltary and law enforce meant yes. people like you and me and anyone else in this country…………..no.

The point is I am sure there are Christians who either are employed or invest in those companies that supply the Swiss Guard their weapons and that does not make them hypocrites. Some of those weapons used by the Swiss Guard are meant for military use and some I wouldn't mind owning like the Sig 220 or the Glock.

We have gun manufacturers like Colt, Ruger, Beretta, Browning, Glock, Remington, Smith and Wesson, Winchester, Taurus, Marlin, Bersa, and many others. They employ many people who are Christians. If a person owns, works or invests in one of these type manufacturers they are NOT hypocritical Christians.

Two are regular ol' semi-auto handguns and the other two are goodies that only people with a Class III weapons license can own and purchase. A class III requires a fuck load of money and background checks out the ass that even after you get the license you have ATF guys randomly popping in to make sure you are being a good boy.

Also, a guy may not need a model to get his rocks off but he certainly would prefer to have one over the fat girl from down the street.

I was in the Vatican not too long ago and was told emphatically that the Swiss Guard were unarmed. The main reason I was told was, because of the length of service contracts which led to depression, there were too many suicides in the ranks of the Swiss Guard.. So they disarmed them. And all of them I saw were indeed unarmed.

I was in the Vatican not too long ago and was told emphatically that the Swiss Guard were unarmed. The main reason I was told was, because of the length of service contracts which led to depression, there were too many suicides in the ranks of the Swiss Guard.. So they disarmed them. And all of them I saw were indeed unarmed.

Those goofy guys are unarmed. The gents walking with the Pope everywhere are most definitely armed.

Two are regular ol' semi-auto handguns and the other two are goodies that only people with a Class III weapons license can own and purchase. A class III requires a fuck load of money and background checks out the ass that even after you get the license you have ATF guys randomly popping in to make sure you are being a good boy.

Also, a guy may not need a model to get his rocks off but he certainly would prefer to have one over the fat girl from down the street.

glad i don't have to worry about either one.

when it comes to guns, i guess city folk feel different than country folk lol.

Those goofy guys are unarmed. The gents walking with the Pope everywhere are most definitely armed.

So, you've been there? And know who the goofy guys are, and aren't?

Those responsible for the Pope's personal security are the "Corps of Gendarmerie" or the Vatican Gendarmerie... The Swiss Guard so I was told are largely ceremonial.

miltary and law enforce meant yes. people like you and me and anyone else in this country..no.

they're sending them by the truckload to the middle east and Mexico. People that won't think twice on biting the hand that feeds them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Remember now, average Joes with weapons could stop our entire military... or guerrilla warfare... or something... (still don't see that as a viable scenario, no matter how many guys have stashes of rifles in their homes)

Do you think the backwater goatherders that are fighting off the best equipped military in the world have access to the latest in military tech?

Whether he needs them or not who cares? I bet you have shit you don't need.

I don't have a gun, but I have a nice sword. Do I need it?

but getting back to the OP.

The very basis of Christianity is to accept your earthly fate with the realization that you will find salvation and everlasting life. Turn the other cheek be happy in your faith without material possessions. Jesus did not call upon the Jews to rise up against Rome, he told them they would be rewarded with eternal life.

WSS

Funny...all this talk about the "average Joe" when the average Joe is not the problem.

Nailed it Stuart. The law abiding citizen is not the problem but they are the ones who obey laws and the only ones affected by new gun control laws. We have enough gun laws on the books the criminals ignore already. All our focus should be on criminals and those who should not be owning guns and getting them out of their hands. One way would be harsh prison sentences for anyone having guns illegally.

Nailed it Stuart. The law abiding citizen is not the problem but they are the ones who obey laws and the only ones affected by new gun control laws. We have enough gun laws on the books the criminals ignore already. All our focus should be on criminals and those who should not be owning guns and getting them out of their hands. One way would be harsh prison sentences for anyone having guns illegally.

Sure, but then that's dependent on them being caught, which is unlikely. You would have more luck going after the people illegally supplying the guns.

but getting back to the OP.

The very basis of Christianity is to accept your earthly fate with the realization that you will find salvation and everlasting life. Turn the other cheek be happy in your faith without material possessions. Jesus did not call upon the Jews to rise up against Rome, he told them they would be rewarded with eternal life.

WSS

The way I read the bible is that God is not against His people owning material possessions but is against those possessions owning His people. That is would you part with them if asked? Is there anything you feel you have to have that takes the place of God being first? God does not change. If He wanted to prosper the Jewish people in the Old Covenant He still wants to prosper believers under a new and better covenant. John 3:2 (new covenant) "I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers". Jesus was not poor. He distinguished Himself from the poor when He said the poor you will have always. He wore good clothes as the Roman soldiers would not cast lots for His robe if it was a cheap rag. I believe God does bless us with material things but we have to have the attitude He owns it all and they don't become an idol which we cannot give up.

guns and religion. a perfect topic for this mess.

if not for either we'd probably be living in some utopian society (lol).

what a sad lot we turned out to be. i'm sure if someone or something did create 'us' they/it must be damn proud of themselves now. what'd it take a couple hundred thousands of years to ruin a planet?

but as long as those that 'got' are happy while they're here it's all good for them and fuck everyone else cuz they ain't livin forever.

i'd really like to see a show of hands from those of you 'gun nuts' who actually served your country.

yeah thought so.

I was in the Navy Mik. I suffered from depression before becoming a Christian. I saw in Christians I met a joy and peace I knew I didn't have. That is what influenced me in my faith. Jesus said He came that we might have life more abundantly not to be even more miserable. Before we had guns we have the first recorded murder in the bible of Cain killing Abel with a rock. If you take guns away from law abiding citizens (who need them for protection) you will find evil people making pressure cookers with bombs or any number of other ways they can commit acts of evil.

Archived