THE BROWNS BOARD

Remove confederate flag from government buildings?

gftChris

Remove flag from all government buildings?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Remove flag from all government buildings?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - please explain

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dixie flag is not directly linked to racism, as much as it means "I hate yankees." Blacks, for obvious reasons, associate it with slavery, but its not the 'intended' message. If blacks and hispanics suddenly disappeared, all that hate would once again be focused on northern values repressing the southern way of life.

But this is a state issue. If the people of that state feels it belongs on the capital building, then it belongs on the capital building. However, if there was a vote, its probably would have to come down anyway unless there's a meth dealer that takes food stamps close to a ballot box. The people that wave the dixie flag are predominantly poor uneducated white trash wannabe-conservative hypocrits that hate everything their chemically altered mind can't fully understand without faith. Fuck em', let them have their flag. It makes them easier to avoid.

To prevent the state government from making a statement that it shouldn't be making. What business does any government have making unofficial forms of speech?

Unofficial forms of speech?

So let's say South Carolina held a statewide vote and the verdict was to let the flag stay.

Should Obama send federal marshals?

WSS

only about 5% of Southerners/Southern families owned slaves. A vast majority of Confederate soldiers didn't give two shits about slavery. The American Civil War/War of Northern Aggression was more about economics, and then self determination and states rights versus pros/cons of slavery. The Southerns States, through duties/imposts/tariffs had a distinctly smaller population by 1860 but at the time of secession was paying about 70% of the taxes.

Slavery in the Union endured through the ratification of the 13th amendment, and four slave states were nominally in the union - Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware.

if you want to ban a flag because of racism, hate and oppression the stars and stripes could go away as well.

Hmm. What flag is the Klan Marching with in Washington DC?

11011473_1010048445686118_46547374599363

The point here should be that there was a heartbreaking tragedy in that church. Seriously. Americans, as they often do, completely confused the issue and focus on a flag probably the most meaningless symbol they could find. That flag has nothing to do with that tragedy. Its actual causes are now overlooked because these idiots have focused on the rebel flag. Sadly those idiots will probably win some sort of ruling and prance around like morons having accomplished absolutely fucking nothing.

WSS

One reason I think the confederate flag is under attack....

the left culture warring in prep for the next election.

See illegals being strongly invited by Obamao and co. to come

here, as another part of that.

600px-ElectoralCollege2012.svg.png

Innocuous references to fried chicken watermelon Uncle Ben etcetera are considered hateful and prosecutable.

Things have been deteriorating ever since the Civil Rights Act was passed. Why is that?

WSS

First of all, who has ever been prosecuted for making Uncle Ben, fried chicken or watermelon references ? Sounds like a lie to support your narrative.

For you to say things have deteriorated since the Cival Rights act was passed is pure nonsence. I spent many summers in Bibb and Twigg county Ga in the 60's and 70's and race relations there are drastically better now than they were then. You don't think that the forgivness shown to the racist killer is a sign of progress ? Not perfect but much much better.........unless of course you preferred the previous times.

That person would consider times worse now.

Well there's one of dozens. You can google Uncle Ben racist or fried chicken racist and you'll get hit after hit.

WSS

Really ?

lol. You stated people were being " prosecuted" for references to Uncle Ben, fried chicken, watermelon etc", There's a big difference between being "prosecuted" and someone posting on youtube.

I noticed you skipped that "disintegrated since the Civil Rights Act" theory you put out.

Fuzzy Zoeller the golfer was punished by losing at least two endorsements for making a little joke about the Masters in which he mentioned fried chicken.

And, had you done the researh, you'd see that those images are considered racist and this phoney racism is grounds for being fired. I'd call that prosecutable and you an idiot. :)

WSS

Fuzzy Zoeller the golfer was punished by losing at least two endorsements for making a little joke about the Masters in which he mentioned fried chicken.

And, had you done the researh, you'd see that those images are considered racist and this phoney racism is grounds for being fired. I'd call that prosecutable and you an idiot. :)

WSS

There's a difference between punishment and companies not wanting to be associated with a viewpoint. You're absolutely free to say what you like, but the companies sponsoring you are equally free to say 'ok, bye' when what you're saying is hurting them.

There's a difference between punishment and companies not wanting to be associated with a viewpoint. You're absolutely free to say what you like, but the companies sponsoring you are equally free to say 'ok, bye' when what you're saying is hurting them.

It's not a level playing field as to who you offend. For example offending one group may get you fired more quickly than offending another group. It is also not a level playing field as to who is doing the offending. Al Sharpton for example has made many comments that should have put him on the sidelines but he is still invited to the White House and has his own tv show.

Except that it was most certainly a punishment, & a punishment for saying something really innocuous.

And you have made my point for me because even you and Renfield should see how ridiculous it is to get pissed over that joke. Politically correct persecution has really really gotten out of hand . What if Ian Woosnam had won and Fuzzy Zoeller would have wondered aloud if they'd be having haggis?

WSS

People would have thought he was a culturally insensitive dick. He probably would lose any sponsorships from scottish companies and wouldn't be allowed in to St Andrews ;)

Ha well actually one of my ancestors was married to a Lindsey so I have a touch of Scottish blood, not to mention the McCoys and Marshalls even though they came from Cork and Dublin respectively.

But I can almost guarantee you I wouldn't be offended. I actually ate a big plate of haggis when I was in Killarney. It was surprisongly pretty good but I'm guessing the recipe had been tailored for the tourists.

:D

WSS

Point is, though, it's the reflexive "what do I know about this ethnicity...haggis!" It just shows a lack of culture and, well, brains. It's tired and boring.

He also had a history of being a dick, apparently? So it's easier to jump to the conclusion that there's some kind of inherent racism I guess. What he said was stupid, but anyone with a brain should see that he doesn't have one and not take offence, and the companies are probably just being cautious.

But let's be clear, he wasn't *punished* - society just told him he's a dick and they don't want to listen to what he has to say.

Walmart refuses to make Confederate Flag cake, but willingly makes ISIS flag cake:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/06/29/walmart-apologizes-making-isis-flag-cake-after-refusing-make-confederate-flag-cake

That's seriously fucked up. I can only think the people didn't know what it was, but, seriously. Someone there needs firing, and Walmart needs to do some grovelling.

Today's Lesson: "Freedom of Speech vs Freedom from Consequence"

Tomorrow's Lesson: "What a Scientific Theory Is"

Repeating Indefinitely

Archived