THE BROWNS BOARD

Remove confederate flag from government buildings?

gftChris

Remove flag from all government buildings?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Remove flag from all government buildings?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - please explain

I'm glad you start your post with an admission that this civil war was different from any other.

How do you know what it represents to the people that fly it? It's funny, your ilk will be the first to say women, not crusty white politicians, should make decisions on their own body, but you want to tell southerners what the confederate flag really means.

You whip out Lee's request (which I do find interesting). Allow me to cite a recent CNN/ORC poll, which states that 57% of Americans view it as a symbol of southern pride, to only 33% that view it as one of racism. If the argument is that it hurts people's feelings and should thus be taken down, that is now duly destroyed. If the argument is that flag users harbor hatred, unless you have some kind of X-ray machine for people's hearts, then we have to go by people's opinion, which is that they don't. Case closed.

We're now putting battle flag fliers in the welfare freeloaders category. Truly laughable. If you ever actually make it past the Mason-Dixon, I encourage you to foster good will by telling such a fine joke.

Btw no food stamps here. Hell I don't even have a truck. We could never afford one. But it's always funny to see liberals engage in the same kind of stereotyping they claim to so detest.

Of course that war was different among any other. Because it involved countrymen pitted against one another. You'll never find yourself fighting harder or it taking more of your soul then when you raise arms to your brothers. Yet, instead of stamping out the Confederacy with the KKK (although there was prosecution) and ordering the flag to never been flown (outside of a museum or private ownership) at any public, state, or federal building - we've allowed this nonsense to persist.

The southern pride thing is just as funny. The Confederate flag didn't really have a true resurgence until the 60's and the Civil Rights movement. Essentially a giant middle finger to blacks and northerners. Let's not pretend that it began as anything else. I'm sure it means different things to different people. By that token, you'd have zero issue with my wearing a Swastika around because to me, it holds different values than what the Third Reich had intended.

My point is how the Confederate flags resurgence came to be originally. That simply cannot be argued.

Now, I find my stance to be a bit of a paradox considering I think the left view point of bitching about Chief Wahoo and the Redskins name is nothing more than looking to be offended. So I examined myself further and came to the conclusion that, no... this is in fact, very different.

The symbol of the Confederacy didn't fly over Iwo Jima. Sure isn't what our ships flown on D-day. How about our boy's in 'Nam? Nope? Odd...

Desert Storm? Afghanistan? Iraq? The symbol of these United States is the only one that should be represented in the south.

Its a dead nation, a dead congress a dead military. Why not put the flag in the free loaders category? You've probably heard the phrase "The South will rise again" Sure... When you get a second, take a peak at the States whom lead the nation in infant mortality rate, high school drop out rate, teen pregnancy and public assistance acceptance. 'Rise' indeed.

I lived in Richmond for 2 years, then Fairfax for another year and a half. I've visited every State but 2 of them (Alaska and Maine) Miss me with that "when you cross the Mason-Dixon" bullshit, Aggy. My cousin worked on comm towers in Alabama and when I had to get him back home for a family emergency, drove to Birmingham to get him in early 2008. Wore a Bucks t the entire drive, as most Ohio people do - not realizing most of what we own is tOSU. At the gas station was in line waiting to pay for my fuel, minding my own business not saying a word, I'll never forget the words of that conversation when a random man behind me saw the Block O.

"You a bug-eye, son?"

-"Yes-sir, I am".

"Those LSU boys sure know how to play football"

-"Yes, sir. Miles has a fine football team, look forward to seeing them again soon"

"Don't look too much forward, we like our niggers more than we like you"

.....*blink*

Fuck fostering good will and fuck anybody who has a similar mindset. Oh and piss off with that "liberal" shit as well. If I was one, I'm sure I might agree. However the south deserves every stereotype thrown their way.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BS. One conversation justifies bashing the entire south of our country?

Let's reference the Huffington Soldout Asswipe LIberal Post....

"The states with the highest public assistance participation included Alaska, Maine, Vermont and Washington. The states with the lowest rates were Louisiana, Alabama and Wyoming."

Alabama, Louisiana... are like way, way south. oops.

Alaska...well, that's incredibly north, and Maine and Vermont

and Washington are also way north. oops. These northern states have

nothing to do with the Confederate Flag.

And yes, there is plenty of poverty to go around in Miss., Texas, New Mexico.... etc.

But guess where a whole lot of illegal aliens go to live...where the weather is similar to their usual in Mexico.

States along the border. Over the years, about 20 years...visiting McKinney, Texas - (just about a half hr north of Dallas...)

that place has grown like crazy. It's a very big place now - has been one of the fastest growing

cities in the country... And there is a LOT of employment in Dallas -

well, maybe not so much if a person is ILLEGAL and ONLY SPEAKS SPANISH.......

Reading the article the person was so emotionally upset he was "shaking and almost vomiting". I have seen this stuff in flea markets for years, I never wanted any of it and never bought any of it but I wasn't frightened of it either. Some people are getting too emotional and too offended over minor things today.

‘Offended’ flea market shopper calls 911 over Confederate merchandise

A shopper perusing the merchandise at the Redwood Country Flea Market was so offended by a vendor selling Confederate and Nazi historical memorabilia, the person actually called 911.

Wallingford, Connecticut police were dispatched to the flea market to investigate.

confederate-flag-clinton-gore-button.jpg

Confederate memorabilia. (Example)

The police chief William Wright tells News 8 “the reason no one was arrested was because the items were being sold on private property” — not to mention no laws were broken.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/offended-flea-market-shopper-calls-911-over-confederate-merchandise/

Reading the article the person was so emotionally upset he was "shaking and almost vomiting". I have seen this stuff in flea markets for years, I never wanted any of it and never bought any of it but I wasn't frightened of it either. Some people are getting too emotional and too offended over minor things today.

‘Offended’ flea market shopper calls 911 over Confederate merchandise

A shopper perusing the merchandise at the Redwood Country Flea Market was so offended by a vendor selling Confederate and Nazi historical memorabilia, the person actually called 911.

Wallingford, Connecticut police were dispatched to the flea market to investigate.

confederate-flag-clinton-gore-button.jpg

Confederate memorabilia. (Example)

The police chief William Wright tells News 8 “the reason no one was arrested was because the items were being sold on private property” — not to mention no laws were broken.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/offended-flea-market-shopper-calls-911-over-confederate-merchandise/

Obviously going for the southern vote since Clinton from Arkansas and Gore from Tennessee.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived