THE BROWNS BOARD

Redskins lose Trademark Registration

The Gipper

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey look... they're taking down the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag at the South Carolina state capitol as I type this.

Times change folks.

Movements that dare consider the rights/needs/sensibilities of others tend to gain support over time.

Always have...

Always will.

Hey look... they're taking down the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag at the South Carolina state capitol as I type this.

Times change folks.

Movements that dare consider the rights/needs/sensibilities of others tend to gain support over time.

Always have...

Always will.

And they changed your original posting of Sweet Home Alabama so the cover no longer has the Confederate Battle Flag. PC has lost it entirely.

Haven't had time to read the whole thread, but being the PC antagonistic Bastard that I am I'm tempted to load up on the Red Skins gear and bandy it about here in Liberal PC Seahawk land just tweak their PC asses . . .

I F'n' hate PC Bullshit, and this reeks of it . . . .

Shit is Shit, and sugar coating doesn't change that . . . GTFO'er it . . . it's just like the stupid Confederate Flag Bullshit running down in S.C. - it wasn't about Slavery dumb asses, get over it.

Talk about Waggin' The Fuckin' Dog to misdirect the masses . . .

If I tweaked your noses with my (Liberal) comments . . . I'm seriously not sorry,

I'v had the BS Opened Minded (so much that their Brains have fallen out) Bullshit rammed down my throat in both Madison WI & here in WA that I just can't get over how stupid people are . . .

Zombo, if you want to delete my Account over this, feel free . . . enough is enough.

could be a great investment......buy some stuff with the name on it and just stash it away.....might become a rare collectible....

Not in our lifetime, Redskins gear has been around for decades, it'll be a looonnnngggg time before it becomes rare.

I'd think it would be more likely for the beanie baby market to swing back around.

Haven't had time to read the whole thread, but being the PC antagonistic Bastard that I am I'm tempted to load up on the Red Skins gear and bandy it about here in Liberal PC Seahawk land just tweak their PC asses . . .

I F'n' hate PC Bullshit, and this reeks of it . . . .

Shit is Shit, and sugar coating doesn't change that . . . GTFO'er it . . . it's just like the stupid Confederate Flag Bullshit running down in S.C. - it wasn't about Slavery dumb asses, get over it.

Talk about Waggin' The Fuckin' Dog to misdirect the masses . . .

If I tweaked your noses with my (Liberal) comments . . . I'm seriously not sorry,

I'v had the BS Opened Minded (so much that their Brains have fallen out) Bullshit rammed down my throat in both Madison WI & here in WA that I just can't get over how stupid people are . . .

Zombo, if you want to delete my Account over this, feel free . . . enough is enough.

Because you don't like PC bullshit?

You're going to have to a lot better than that to get deleted.

Zombo

Here's the question. Does anyone here believe when the professional football team was named the Redskins it was in order to make fun of, demean or belittle a race of people or do you believe that name was chosen because they wished to associate their team with a proud strong and noble group? Pick one.

WSS

They chose the Redskins name as an honor. If American Indians were offended though I would be for removing the Redskins name even if the purpose was to honor them. I want to be respectful but the polling data I saw showed about 90 percent of American Indians were not offended over the Redskins name so if they are not offended I don't care about non Indians who take up the offended cause for them.

In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them.

Here's the question. Does anyone here believe when the professional football team was named the Redskins it was in order to make fun of, demean or belittle a race of people or do you believe that name was chosen because they wished to associate their team with a proud strong and noble group? Pick one.

WSS

The guy that chose the name: George Preston Marshall.....was an avowed racist. He did not allow black players onto his team until the 60s when the Civil Rights Act was passed and he was threatened with being disallowed to play in the government owned stadium there in DC. He acquiesced, but it was not done voluntarily.

And by all accounts, despite what he says, I do not think his attitude toward Native Americans was any better than his attitude toward blacks.

So.....yes, given who chose the name.....there certainly theoretically could have been a racist element to the selection....but you are right, it seems incongruous that he would purposely choose a demeaning name. It is likely he did so out of ignorance more than anything else.

They chose the Redskins name as an honor. If American Indians were offended though I would be for removing the Redskins name even if the purpose was to honor them. I want to be respectful but the polling data I saw showed about 90 percent of American Indians were not offended over the Redskins name so if they are not offended I don't care about non Indians who take up the offended cause for them.

In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them.

That may mean simply that they did not take umbrage to the name....not that it is not offensive.

Example.....it really doesn't bother me if someone were to call me a Honky, Cracker or some such because I am white. Or that they would call me a Mick because I am of Irish descent.

Just because I do not take offense...does not mean that it is not offensive.

Again, remember, if you buy the theory that the Browns are named for Joe Louis the Brown Bomber then you are accepting that "our" team too is essentially the "Brownskins"

Fortuneatly we have an out by saying it is really named after Paul Brown...not Joe Louis. (and it probably really is named after Paul Brown....but the counter theory exists.

Just so you know, that study has been HEAVILY criticized and really, to me anyway, is largely irrelevant. Here's a pretty practical article that really highlights that:

http://ipclinic.org/2014/02/11/11-reasons-to-ignore-the-10-year-old-annenberg-survey-about-the-washington-football-teams-offensive-name/

A more recent (and more complete) study found that 67% find it offensive, and only 20% disagreeing:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/native-americans-offended-by-racial-slur#.ut9Kg9GOKn

To repeat myself here, I wouldn't even argue that the world is over correcting some to a PC society. However, I will never be opposed to names, landmarks or other materials that lend themselves to overtly racist principles being removed.

Because you don't like PC bullshit?

You're going to have to a lot better than that to get deleted.

Zombo

Thanks Zombo, I can always count on you for a laugh when I need one.

But to the comment, you can never tell if folks in the area have sense or not.

The guy that chose the name: George Preston Marshall.....was an avowed racist. He did not allow black players onto his team until the 60s when the Civil Rights Act was passed and he was threatened with being disallowed to play in the government owned stadium there in DC. He acquiesced, but it was not done voluntarily.

And by all accounts, despite what he says, I do not think his attitude toward Native Americans was any better than his attitude toward blacks.

So.....yes, given who chose the name.....there certainly theoretically could have been a racist element to the selection....but you are right, it seems incongruous that he would purposely choose a demeaning name. It is likely he did so out of ignorance more than anything else.

Of course you're assuming that the guy who didn't like blacks would also dislike Indians, correct? So it doesn't sound reasonable he would pick that name for something that meant a lot to him like a football team. I don't think those two prejudices necessarily go hand in hand.

And the Joe Lewis Cleveland Browns hook just sounds ridiculous to me.

The Brown Bommber might make sense had there actually been any black people on the team and somebody really wanted to honor Joe but...

WSS

Of course you're assuming that the guy who didn't like blacks would also dislike Indians, correct? So it doesn't sound reasonable he would pick that name for something that meant a lot to him like a football team. I don't think those two prejudices necessarily go hand in hand.

Yes, admittedly it is speculation......that a guy who is racist toward one group may also be racist toward another. That is why I said that it was incongruous that he would purposely call the team something he thought was demeaning. That is why I said that he named them the Redskins out of ignorance more than to be purposely offensive.

And the Joe Lewis Cleveland Browns hook just sounds ridiculous to me.

The "team is named after Joe Louis is absolutely a plausible theory...look it up"

The Brown Bommber might make sense had there actually been any black people on the team and somebody really wanted to honor Joe but...

Well....there were black people on the team. FYI, the Browns were the first team to integrate.......and yes, somebody did really want to honor Joe.....It was Paul Brown himself who wanted it said that "the name is after Louis, not me."

WSS

Just so you know, that study has been HEAVILY criticized and really, to me anyway, is largely irrelevant. Here's a pretty practical article that really highlights that:

http://ipclinic.org/2014/02/11/11-reasons-to-ignore-the-10-year-old-annenberg-survey-about-the-washington-football-teams-offensive-name/

A more recent (and more complete) study found that 67% find it offensive, and only 20% disagreeing:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/native-americans-offended-by-racial-slur#.ut9Kg9GOKn

To repeat myself here, I wouldn't even argue that the world is over correcting some to a PC society. However, I will never be opposed to names, landmarks or other materials that lend themselves to overtly racist principles being removed.

I believe political correctness is a huge problem in our country today. If Washington would keep the Indian face and change the name to the Braves, Chieftains, Warriors etc...some one will find a way to be offended. There are many mascots we can find fault with. The fighting Irish because everyone knows the Irish can't handle their liquor and fight with everyone when drunk. Why does Pittsburgh honor the pirates? Weren't pirates a bunch of thieving murderers?

A college team Louisiana Lafayette uses the Rajin Cajuns for a mascot. The original mascot was a bulldog. In the early 1960’s as an effort to “fire up” the football team, Coach Russ Faulkinberry called his team the Raging Cajuns since 95 percent of the football team was from the Acadiana area [i.e., ethnically Cajun]. It was then decided by the Sports Information Director, Bob Henderson, to honor the team and the Cajun heritage by calling them the Raging Cajuns. The first Ragin’ Cajun mascot was Cajun Man.

This was protested by African American activists who resented the association of the multi-racial and -ethnic University with a white ethnicity. From another perspective, the mascot was questioned on the grounds that “Cajun” had once been a nasty racial slur.

Apparently the University lost Cajun Man when he graduated, so he was replaced by Cajun Chicken. Cajun Chicken was later replaced by Cayenne, a chili pepper, the University’s current mascot.

Still, the disappearance of the Cajun Man has not led to the disappearance of the controversy over the mascot, kept alive with the term “Ragin’ Cajuns.” In Blue Collar Bayou, Jaques Henry and Carl Bankston III report that in 1997 Louis Farrakhan protested that the state funding of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette amounted to the state using “African American and Creole tax dollars… to promote a white culture.”

The Redskins might be the exception and needs to be changed? I don't know. Our local school uses the name Redskins. I just believe political correctness is a slippery slope and where does it all end?

Old, there's already a Warriors, Chiefs and Braves.

And feigning out rage is a great way to get attention and attention is the goal.

WSS

Of course, Warriors, to me, is a non-specific term to mean anyone who engages in battle. The Spartan Defenders of Thermopolae were "warriors", as were the Roman Legions, the Scots who fought under William Wallace, and the guys who fought in the American Revolution.

Chief somewhat the same, no? That term is not specific to Native Americans.

The Israeli "Tribes" had Chiefs? As did African Tribes, Nomadic Arabic Tribes, Mongol Tribes etc. etc. No?

Braves does, to me, seem more specific to Native Americans.

On the other hand....perhaps the Cleveland Indians could adopt a somewhat different smiling face mascot:

01gandhi11.jpg

Any takers?

I thought maybe the "Braves" would be acceptable but some find offense to that:

Brave
This is a word that has been used to refer to
Indian men. Used in millions of books, and
as a name for many sports teams, people are
often surprized to find that it offends Indian
people. But it does! It plays on the 'noble
courageous savage' ideal that was pinned on
Indian men long ago by early europeans. It
also dehumanizes and equates the Indian
male to something less than human. Adult
Indian males are
men, NOT 'braves'....

Then I checked into Chiefs or Chieftain and that too was found to be offensive:

Chief
This is a word that is commonly given as a
nickname which incorrectly labels Indian
men. The cultural equivelant would be to
nickname all white men 'Prez' or 'King'.
The term 'chief' itself is incorrect. Indian
leaders were never 'chiefs', but headmen,
or clan mothers, and so on. Not 'chiefs'.

Native leaders were highly disrespected by
the USA. So calling someone 'Chief',
is just
a way to continue that disrespect...

The university of Marquette used to be the Warriors but that is offensive as well:

Marquette University changed their team name from the Warriors to the Golden Eagles in 1994. The school’s president stated:"We live in a different era than when the Warriors nickname was selected in 1954. The perspective of time has shown us that our actions, intended or not, can offend others. We must not knowingly act in a way that others will believe, based on their experience, to be an attack on their dignity as fellow human beings."

Maybe Ghandi is the answer but he is kind of skinny (weight challenged).

Here is a link to article:

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Court-rules-against-Redskins-38106585

Let this be noted: they are losing their right to trademark registration, NOT their right to the trademarks themselves.

They can continue to use the Redskin name and the logos they have been using. Nothing stops them from doing that.

What they likely lose is the right to trademark protections. In other words, basically, they can use all these images they want, but cannot win a lawsuit for trademark infringement against someone else who would want to use the name/symbols.

But, the question: who else would want to use this name and symbols for profit? Under free speech rules these symbols were always free to be satirized and criticised.

Maybe the one thing they lose is the right to ask for an injunction against someone that is making knockoff gear....but that is all to be fleshed out.

Let me just preface this with I'm not prejudice - I hate everyone. Somehow - some way, while I was learning about Pocahontas in grade school - I had this Pokeahotness interrupting and threatening my cooties stage membership. I wonder what she thinks of the current events in Washington while her former daughter turned son is now feeling like a different version of half breed.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+of+cher%27s+half+breed&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=74AA859375C228FDAFB274AA859375C228FDAFB2

Old, there's already a Warriors, Chiefs and Braves.

And feigning out rage is a great way to get attention and attention is the goal.

WSS

When Donald Trump-this takes off his Mexicutioner hat, I'm sure he'd love to give this some attention once he's done giving McCain some attention.

Just wait until his central intelligence informs him that ISIS isn't just some intramural splat ball team.

Stay tuned...

Archived