THE BROWNS BOARD

Kenny "The Snake" Stabler Passes Away

Zombo

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20150709/NEWS/150709694?tc=cr

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Legendary-Alabama-QB-Ken-Stabler-passes-away-38132875

Legendary Alabama and NFL quarterback Ken Stabler has passed away at the age of 69.

Stabler was born Dec. 25, 1945 in Foley, Ala., giving his parents, Sally and Leroy "Slim" Stabler, a pleasant Christmas Day surprise. He grew up to be a multi-sport athlete at Foley High School, but it was football that Stabler excelled at the most. During his high school playing days, he earned the nickname "The Snake" for his ability to maneuver and weave through opposing defenses.

Stabler was recruited to Alabama by legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and enrolled at the university in 1964. Because of NCAA rules, players were not allowed to see the field as freshmen, so Stabler watched from the sideline as Joe Namathguided the Crimson Tide to a national championship. The following season, he split reps at quarterback with Steve Sloan, and together, they led the team to back-to-back national titles with a 39-28 victory over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

The following season, his junior year at UA, Stabler helped Alabama to another 11-0 record and another win over Nebraska, this time a 34-7 victory in the Sugar Bowl. But the Crimson Tide finished third in the polls behind Notre Dame and Michigan State.

His senior season ended with an 8-2-1 record, but it also included one of the most iconic plays in Alabama history. During the Iron Bowl, Stabler pulled off a play that would later be called "The Run in the Mud." The Crimson Tide and Auburn Tigers played in rainstorm and on a muddy Legion Field in Birmingham, and trailing 3-0, Stabler scampered for a 47-yard to secure a 7-3 victory.

Stabler finished his college career at Alabama with a 28-3-2 record as a starter. He completed 180 of his 303 passes (59.4 percent) for 2,196 yards and 18 touchdowns and also rushed for 838 yards and nine scores on 265 rushing attempts. As a senior in 1967, Stabler was named a permanent team captain, along with Bobby Johns and earned All-SEC and All-America honors.

The Crimson Tide quarterback was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the second round of the 1968 NFL Draft and was immediately surrounded by a wealth of talent at the wide receiver position. With help from Cliff Branch, Dave Casper, andFred Biletnikoff, Stabler quarterbacked the Raiders to a 32-14 win over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI.

He was named the AFC Player of the Year in 1974 and 1976, and the Associate Press selected him as the NFL MVP in 1974. The Snake also won the Hickok Belt in 1976 as professional athlete of the year and earned three Pro Bowl nods (1974, 1976-77).

Oakland traded Stabler to the Houston Oilers, where he played from 1980-81. He then finished his NFL career after three seasons with the New Orleans Saints. In 184 pro games, Stabler threw for 27,938 yards and 194 touchdowns on 2,270-3,793 passing.

Following his playing career, Stabler color commentator for CBS NFL broadcasts. He then moved to radio, where he worked alongside Eli Gold for 11 years as the color analyst for Alabama football games.

ken_stabler_1975_09_01.jpg

The Snake:

96-49-1 record as starting QB......661 win pct....14th best in NFL history @

96 wins..... is 17th most

2270 completions....#53

3793 attempts....#54

59.8 completion pct.....#36

27,938 yards....#54

194 TDs....#45

5.1 TD %....#34

7.4 yds. per att. ....#31

12.3 ypc...#82

151.8 ypg....#123

75.3 rating.....#99

7-5 postseason record, including one SB win.

@ His win pct. as a starting QB in his career is only exceeded by: Ottlo Graham, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Terry Bradshaw, Darryl Lamonica, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Danny White, Bob Waterfield, Aaron Rodgers and Frank Ryan.

Yup... reminds me that I'm overdue for another colon snaking myself...

UPDATE 6:53 PM CT: The Stabler family issued a statement on the passing of former Alabama quarterback Ken Stabler. Stabler passed away "as a result of complications associated with colon cancer," which he had quietly dealt with since February of 2015, according to the family. He passed listening to his favorite songs, like "Sweet Home Alabama."

I can remember him bringing his Redneck Riviera style to Houston from Oakland.

Turn it up...

Yup... reminds me that I'm overdue for another colon snaking myself...

UPDATE 6:53 PM CT: The Stabler family issued a statement on the passing of former Alabama quarterback Ken Stabler. Stabler passed away "as a result of complications associated with colon cancer," which he had quietly dealt with since February of 2015, according to the family. He passed listening to his favorite songs, like "Sweet Home Alabama."

I can remember him bringing his Redneck Riviera style to Houston from Oakland.

Turn it up...

LOL!You do realize they had a Confederate Flag there, right?

I have a very nicely framed mounting of 11 different real confederate paper money from $1 to $500 on my library wall. They were given to me by my thieving Yankee in-laws from R.I. Save 'em boys! The South shall rise again. :D :D

The first Superbowl I remember watching was XI Raiders vs. Vikings

I remember asking my dad why the Oakland QB was throwing with the wrong hand..... I was 6 years old

RIP Snake.

His book called "SNAKE" is an AWESOME look at the NFL in the 70's. Must read for NFL fans

I love that part where the announcer says "Madden is on the field, he wants to know if it is real, they said yes, get your big butt out of here". Miss those less PC days from years gone by.

haha yes- we had this clip on an old NFL follies (tape)

Holy roller was also the reason for a rules change too?

Like Diehard posted, today that announcer would either have been fired or suspended and ordered to get "sensitivity training" after his comments about Madden getting his big butt off the field. There would be a big fuss about it on sports talk. But back in the 70's that comment just rolled off people's backs like water on a duck. I think people are just waaaaaaay too sensitive today.

Except for being fantasy bullshit... great points!

Bill King made the call. He was the Raiders' play-by-play announcer, so the "controversy", even today would be nil. I cannot recall ever hearing the San Diego broadcast of the Holy Roller, but I'll bet it was even more colorful.

"Back in the day" Bill also broadcast Golden State Warrior games. From Wikipedia:

King was not shy about disagreeing with the referee's calls during the course of his play-by-play work, and was a notorious ref-baiter. In his most infamous incident, he used an expletive on the air to describe a referee's call, and the Warriors were charged with a technical foul. He may be the only professional sports announcer ever charged with an infraction during the course of play.

So apparently even in the past there were limits.

Yup. Can't fumble a ball forward anymore. There will never be another one.

LOL!You do realize they had a Confederate Flag there, right?

I have a very nicely framed mounting of 11 different real confederate paper money from $1 to $500 on my library wall. They were given to me by my thieving Yankee in-laws from R.I. Save 'em boys! The South shall rise again. :D :D

If the south rises, it will be for the first time.

If the south rises, it will be for the first time.

and probably the last.

just imagine if the backward 'folk' down there had their head out of their asses already? if this country could find a common ground on certain issues we wouldn't be so hell bent on destroying it from within.

FIFY

Don't get me wrong, I love where I'm from and I wouldn't want to live further north than, say, Virginia because extended periods of snow sounds awful. But right now, living in the south is equally unbearable with everything going on in South Carolina.

On one side, you have a bunch of butthurt people getting pissed because a flag came down, despite the fact that the flag should have never been flown above a governmental building in the first place because it is representative of a faction that no longer exists.

On the other hand, you have a bunch of butthurt people getting pissed because the flag was up for as long as it was and can't accept their "victory", despite the fact that they are officially represented by a governmentally-sanctioned organization that only allows members of their race and turns away members from other races - which is something many other races do not have.

And then, in the middle, you have the rational people who don't give a shit about a flag, because a flag is nothing more than a piece of cloth and won't do anything to stop racism, sexism, homophobia, ageism, what have you.

And all I'm trying to do is go to work, do my job and come home but I have to put up with the bullshit of a bunch of people who generally don't know what they are talking about and are arguing simply because they have something to argue about.

Good people are good people regardless of where they are from. Bad people are bad people regardless of where they are from. I'm not Pro-North, Anti-South, Pro-Racism, Anti-Gay or anything of the ilk. I'm just Pro-Get-Rid-Of-Dumb-People and Anti-Hate-People-For-Something-That-Matters-Little-In-The-Real-World.

I don't care if John wants to buttfuck Steve or if Hank has a permanent tan and can't get lice. All I care is that they do their job, let me do mine, they are nice to me and whatever kids I may end up having. That's it.

Damn, that was a highly uncalled for rant.

I give the people of South Carolina credit the way they came together after the white racist murdered 9 black people in a church. There was no rioting just people black and white praying together and working together. Same way with the video that came out of a white officer shooting a black man in the back in South Carolina (and now is charged with murder) but the reaction of the black people was nothing like the reaction in Baltimore with the death of Freddy Gray or in Ferguson Missouri with Michael Brown. There you had looting and arson and rioting which you did not see in South Carolina.

Archived