THE BROWNS BOARD

America Fat As Fuck

MLD Woody

posts in another thread made me remember this article...

More than two thirds of Americans are Overweight or Obese

http://time.com/3929990/americans-overweight-obese/

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2323411

"The researchers estimate that during that time period, 40% of men were overweight and 35% of men were obese. They estimate that 30% of women were overweight and 37% were obese."

Out of all of the threads on here (80% of which are just based around fear mongering on the far right), I don't think this issue has ever been posted. You'd think the overall declining health of the US population would be a bigger issue. Clogging up the healthcare system, indirectly costing you more money, being the reason you can't have giant cups of pop!

I believed they used BMI to get their estimates, which is obviously not a perfect method. Even still, we're clearly going the wrong direction.

Americans' diet is lacking in nutrition. Most, if not all, the large producers of our vegetables

use roundup to kill weeds to plant, then use roundup again to knock the weeds back, especially

for soybeans.

This inevitably destroys the quality of the soil. So they use cheap, artificial fertilizers out the wazoo.

The veggies they grow, are hybrids that are designed to be tough-skinned to enable the shipments to

not be bruised in transit, the veggies are picked way early, they don't complete development on the vine,

and what you find, say, with tomatoes for one example, is red things most people do not like the taste of,

and/or texture of.

And all the processed foods.... preservatives dumped in, refined, bleached white flour, high fructose corn syrup,

low fiber, fillers..... and fast food abounds on a regular basis.

The lack of minerals and micronutrients in those fields' soil is a crisis. The soil is sterile.

And tons of bad carbohydrates and saturated fats abound.

It a lot more expensive to grow food properly. Even meat has growth hormones, antibiotics, bacteria,

too much fat... and cattle fed with low quality grains, and hay that has been constantly sprayed with

toxic weed killers that only kill certain weeds.

And gmo crap doesn't help, either. Blaming obesity on sugary soft drinks is stupidly political and ignorantly woodpeckerish.

Americans' diet is lacking in nutrition. Most, if not all, the large producers of our vegetables

use roundup to kill weeds to plant, then use roundup again to knock the weeds back, especially

for soybeans.

This inevitably destroys the quality of the soil. So they use cheap, artificial fertilizers out the wazoo.

The veggies they grow, are hybrids that are designed to be tough-skinned to enable the shipments to

not be bruised in transit, the veggies are picked way early, they don't complete development on the vine,

and what you find, say, with tomatoes for one example, is red things most people do not like the taste of,

and/or texture of.

And all the processed foods.... preservatives dumped in, refined, bleached white flour, high fructose corn syrup,

low fiber, fillers..... and fast food abounds on a regular basis.

The lack of minerals and micronutrients in those fields' soil is a crisis. The soil is sterile.

And tons of bad carbohydrates and saturated fats abound.

It a lot more expensive to grow food properly. Even meat has growth hormones, antibiotics, bacteria,

too much fat... and cattle fed with low quality grains, and hay that has been constantly sprayed with

toxic weed killers that only kill certain weeds.

And gmo crap doesn't help, either. Blaming obesity on sugary soft drinks is stupidly political and ignorantly woodpeckerish.

Your free market did this in case you didn't realize. The principle of competition works great for "commodities" and such. Food was "never" supposed to be a commodity. The west has bastardized and shit all over what the universe basically took hundreds of millions of years to create for us. The way this planet developed to sustain our kind of life...by whatever force you want to call it I don't care, evolution or creationism I have no idea. What i know is that it's precious and when it goes that's it. But when a society turns absolutely everything over to the principles greed and competition...people naturally take shortcuts or do things that benefit them in the short term and don't care if goatfucks everyone in the long. Food production was never supposed to not be a collectivist type of endeavor. Land has to be taken tremendous care of if you want it around for a long time. The whole country was supposed to technically "own" all the farmland and the people who grew our food were supposed to be some of the most highly skilled and therefore prestigious people.

Your free market did this in case you didn't realize. The principle of competition works great for "commodities" and such. Food was "never" supposed to be a commodity. The west has bastardized and shit all over what the universe basically took hundreds of millions of years to create for us. The way this planet developed to sustain our kind of life...by whatever force you want to call it I don't care, evolution or creationism I have no idea. What i know is that it's precious and when it goes that's it. But when a society turns absolutely everything over to the principles greed and competition...people naturally take shortcuts or do things that benefit them in the short term and don't care if goatfucks everyone in the long. Food production was never supposed to not be a collectivist type of endeavor. Land has to be taken tremendous care of if you want it around for a long time. The whole country was supposed to technically "own" all the farmland and the people who grew our food were supposed to be some of the most highly skilled and therefore prestigious people.

Wow..

I just deleted my previous post because the level of ignorance in THIS quoted post just took the whole thing off the rails..

And that's too bad because I did appreciate the ONN reference Woody, and the subject matter is worthy of discussion.. It's too bad your comrade in crime butt fucked the hell out of your thread :blink:

Obesity in our country is a tragedy - so is the level of cancers.

Hotdogs, etc...sodium nitrate. In most uncooked hotdogs you eat.

Go look it up - bad for ya. Lack of fiber - bad. Too much sugars and salts and preservatives - bad.

And Cleve - your post was indeed ignorant - Woody brought up a great topic - but the guy

who was taking about "eating a damn vegetable" is missing the point.

I read where billionaires are buying up the large tracts of farmland. Future

city/urban development, I suppose.

We get a fine op from Woody, and cleve goes nuts with an ignorant, off his nut emotional nonsense bit.

I believe we as a country, need to start eating real, naturally nutritious food. I imagine about a thousand times,

we've had folks really loving our tomatoes and stuff - and they they will never buy a tasteless tomato

in a store again.

The giant growers have to control their loss. Growing organic isn't perfect in that regard. Toxic chemicals work

great. But they are bad for the soil, and people. Read up on studies about the trace amounts of this same crap

in certain vegetables that tend to absorb it.

We've developed our soil, and grow them with all natural

fertilizers, add all natural liquid calcium, magnesium and iron, and all natural micronutrients in our giant garden.

Most of it is foliar (leaf) spray. I tell our customers how to grow their plants like we do. They buy from us every year,

most of them can't or don't have their own gardens for a variety of reasons.

I believe that obesity is due to a lack of nutrition in our food - and not all the time a matter of only eating

cakes, pastries, and sugar pop.

BTW, it isn't a political subject - the barbershop is where I'd have put it, but no matter.

and, it's science that is creating roundup proof soybeans, etc, and genetically modified

plants and animals. A giant boon for productivity kind, a bane for people who need nutrition and natural

healthy food, that has no residual minute traces of toxicity in the skins of the produce.

Not a fan, am I, of the way our food is being created on the grand scale...

We could make a lot more money if we (on our farm) grew soybeans with roundup, and gmo corn

with toxic sprays for disease and insect protection and high nitrogen artifically produced

fertilizers..... It's the way to make the big money.

We don't do it. I'm researching crops for our 10 acres that I can naturally grow

and still get a nice profit off of it. The methodology will also have to be creative....

I'm getting ready to plant part of the field in hay. And we won't use toxic weed killers

on it - meaning eventually, weeds will come in, like stickerweeds, etc, that will make

us replant the year after we kill off that part.

Which, we do by brushhogging the entire area, plowing, discing and rototilling to kill weeds.....

yes, it would be a lot less expensive to just spray the hell out of it with roundup. .....

our gov needs to step in and outlaw some of this toxic garbage. There's a lot of debate

about roundup. roundup kills everything - except what it gmo designed to not be killed.

Another commonly used chemical - is 24D. It kills broadleaf weeds, but doesn't kill grass.

Used on hayfields. That feed cattle.......etc. Crap is getting into hay, field corn...

and being fed to cattle, pigs.....etc. And fed to people. Not good.

Wow..

I just deleted my previous post because the level of ignorance in THIS quoted post just took the whole thing off the rails..

And that's too bad because I did appreciate the ONN reference Woody, and the subject matter is worthy of discussion.. It's too bad your comrade in crime butt fucked the hell out of your thread :blink:

Awe...

Cal is my opposite and Clev is my comrade? Does he have to be?

Honestly, and I'm sure Clev wont like this, but he posts like all of the right wingers on this board think I do. He's closer to cals opposite. Has a good point every now and then, between everything else in his post.

I was considering adding him to my "Relaxing, Calm, Summer Ignore List".

But anyway, back on topic. America is fat.

Shitty food is cheap.

Inflation is high.

MOAR TAXES!

Shitty food is cheap. That probably influences the diets of many families and individuals living around the poverty line.

Of course, that is only part of it. The majority of people that do have very easy access to healthier foods need to eat better. And be active. At the end of the day, people are just stupid.

It would be great to let them do what they want. Eat anything. Don't exercise. Get diseases. And die early. Why do I care? But if it indirectly affects me down the road, their own incompetence, I have a reason to be pretty annoyed.

If you can think it up the democrats will find a way to tax it. Sure to come down the road will be a new sugar tax not just on pop but everything else at the grocery store such as cookies, donuts, cereals or anything the government thinks has too much sugar and again the government will intrude into every area of our lives as a nanny state to keep us safe and healthy as well as getting some more tax revenue.

If you can think it up the democrats will find a way to tax it. Sure to come down the road will be a new sugar tax not just on pop but everything else at the grocery store such as cookies, donuts, cereals or anything the government thinks has too much sugar and again the government will intrude into every area of our lives as a nanny state to keep us safe and healthy as well as getting some more tax revenue.

Cigarettes have high taxes on them because people end up burdening everyone else with their medical costs. I can see why the government would want to add some more taxes to garbage food if dummies who will eventually be a burden to all tax payers think it is a good idea to eat tons of it.

If we weren't getting stuck covering the bills for these people, I would tell them to eat up. Your funeral.

Wait. Extended sympathy for illegals, and gays, and whoever else...

and then this:

"It would be great to let them do what they want. Eat anything. Don't exercise. Get diseases. And die early. Why do I care? "

The contradiction is glaring. Conflicting emotions gone wild?

Millions of children deserve to have quality, nutritious, safe food. It isn't even a matter of affluence. It's a matter of

production.

Scientists must figure out ways of production that won't throw cost-pulled inflation into the mix, that will still

not pollute soils, and food that goes to market. Right now, organic is a lot more expensive route to take.

The quality and taste of naturally grown food is incredible compared to the opposite. We hear this all the time.

In fact, my Wonderful Cute Wifie has never liked blueberries. That's well over twenty years, folks.

But the organic blueberries at the farm next to her brother's farm out in Lodi OH? She LOVES them.

Kids at our market have HATED tomatoes. They eat our cherry tomatoes like candy. We've heard from

parents about this many, many times. And all naturally grown lettuce is great. Everything is.

Not just kids, but adults. We've had so many adults tell us "I hate tomatoes". And I give them one to take home,

and they try it.

Now they are our regular customers every year, and word gets around.

Although, there is a big difference between people who smoke, do drugs, etc.

and American adults and children who don't know that their health is being shortchanged

by a lack of nutrition, bad addititives, and trace amounts of toxins from materials used

in the production of food.

Wait. Extended sympathy for illegals, and gays, and whoever else...

and then this:

"It would be great to let them do what they want. Eat anything. Don't exercise. Get diseases. And die early. Why do I care? "

The contradiction is glaring. Conflicting emotions gone wild?

How so? I don't care what someone else does so long as it does not effect me. Whether that be deciding you like dating dudes, eating hamburgers with glazed donuts for buns, or hotboxing cigarettes all day. However, when I get stuck with subsidizing your life choices, that is when I get pissed off. If I got stuck with the bill for lube for Jimmy and Rick then I would be pissed off. If I don't have to cover the bill for your poor decisions then I don't care what other people do.

Although, there is a big difference between people who smoke, do drugs, etc.

and American adults and children who don't know that their health is being shortchanged

by a lack of nutrition, bad addititives, and trace amounts of toxins from materials used

in the production of food.

If someone doesn't know McDonald's is bad for them, then there isn't much that can be done for them.

My wife is a cardiac nurse. These people know all too well that the stuff they are eating is killing them. They just don't care because they find every excuse possible to avoid addressing the fact that they are sitting there with a large sweet tea and a Big Mac fresh out of an open heart surgery.

No, I agree with you, except a lot of people do not know that the veggies they

buy in supermarkets, and all the processed breads, etc....

don't have all that much nutrition in them, and often contain trace amounts of

bad stuff used in the "economically beneficial" production methods used

in giant scale produce and grain production, as well as poultry and beef, etc.

Yes, people know fast food isn't real healthy. But when healthy people go to eat

healthy, and don't know that the bad stuff in trace amounts is in a lot of the "healthy" food

they buy, and the preservatives like sodium nitrate is very bad.....

It's what they don't know that they need to know.

I haven't read this book, but just on an email about it this morning, if anyone is interested:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/order/order.aspx?promocode=MMEEMF77&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Merchandise%20Master&utm_campaign=07.12.15%20Consulting%20the%20Genious

Cigarettes have high taxes on them because people end up burdening everyone else with their medical costs. I can see why the government would want to add some more taxes to garbage food if dummies who will eventually be a burden to all tax payers think it is a good idea to eat tons of it.

If we weren't getting stuck covering the bills for these people, I would tell them to eat up. Your funeral.

Exactly

How would this go over here? http://www.theguardi...08/mar/19/japan

Japanese companies can be fined for having overweight workers. Woody

Legislating against businesses? A great way for liberals to raise even more money,

and as usual, do nothing about the actual cause of the problem.

Legislate against the bad stuff in producing our food. Stop it.

Oh, but that doesn't make money to buy dependent votes, and make

them desperate for more health care...does it...?

Well, research the Americanization of the Japanese diet.

And how they had very, very low rates of colon cancer, example.

But their cancer rates have been rising over recent decades.

http://healthhubs.net/cancer/cancer-rates-in-the-usa-compared-to-japan/

We have a quality of food crisis, and it isn't all pertaining to KNOWING that

you are eating stuff very bad for you.

Awe...

Cal is my opposite and Clev is my comrade? Does he have to be?

Honestly, and I'm sure Clev wont like this, but he posts like all of the right wingers on this board think I do. He's closer to cals opposite. Has a good point every now and then, between everything else in his post.

I was considering adding him to my "Relaxing, Calm, Summer Ignore List".

But anyway, back on topic. America is fat.

Lol.. this post made me chuckle. You bring up a good point woody. America is fat as fuck. I'm from Cleveland and I live in cincy. Cleveland is fatter than cincy but nowhere is as fat as Texas where I lived for 2 years. A lot of it has to do with diet, I believe cal is correct in bringing up the point of food auality, and I think convenience has a lot to do with it.

In other countries produce is ridiculously cheaper than america. When you can buy a dollar cheeseburger or a 40 cent green pepper which would you honestly choose? Dollar burgers are convenient and take zero tike to prepare.

In Texas there is so many fast food drive thrus it blows my mind. The convenience of eating in your car and not having to leave your vehicle is a driving factor where I lived. Nobody walked anywhere.

We are fat and disgusting.

I can't tell if where I am living no in Indiana is worse or not than Cleveland. Previously I was in Ann Arbor, and college towns really don't count because metabolisms are still a thing.

I am about to drive up to the Milwaukee area for work though. Last month I was up there as well. It looks like they know how to eat up there.

I was curious, so I looked it up....here are the most recent rankings on obesity rates by state.....fwiw....

Most Obese is Mississippi at 35% ....least obese is Hawaii at 19%.....wow, HUGE difference.....

Anyhow, for those who are wondering, here are the top 10 - each way....

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-and-least-obese-states-in-the-us-2015-7

Archived