THE BROWNS BOARD

Former Browns WR JaJuan Dawson missing on lake

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2015/07/former_tulane_football_player_1.html

Former Tulane football player JaJuan Dawson went missing after a fall from a boat Sunday near Dallas, NBCDFW.com has reported. Dawson set several school records as a receiver at Tulane, and he played on the school's undefeated 1998 team.

The 37-year-old Dawson was on a boat with three children and two other adults when he fell, the report said. Dive teams continued to search Monday for Dawson at Lake Lavon, located northeast of Dallas, the report said. Dawson was not wearing a life preserver, family said, according to the report.

A product of H.L. Bourgeois High School, Dawson played at Tulane from 1996 to 1999.

Dawson's 234 career catches for 3,048 yards and 31 touchdowns put him near the top of the Tulane leaders list in those categories.

The Cleveland Browns selected Dawson in the third round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He played parts of four NFL seasons, two with the Browns, one with the Houston Texans and one with the Indianapolis Colts.

A LinkedIn profile with Dawson's name has him listed as a senior sales representative for Boston Scientific, developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices.

He didn't know how to swim, but was on the water with no life vest. Just a tiny amount of common sense and he's still here with his family. Very sad, but completely preventable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-nfl-player-missing-falling-texas-lake-173530510--nfl.html

"By Lisa Maria Garza

DALLAS (Reuters) - Emergency crews are searching for former NFL receiver JaJuan Dawson, who went missing over the weekend after falling from a boat and into a lake in northern Texas, officials said on Monday.

Two adults and three children were on the boat when Dawson, 37, fell into Lavon Lake, northeast of Dallas, on Sunday night. Alcohol is not suspected to be a factor in the incident and no one else has been reported missing, Texas Game Warden and local fire department officials said. Family members told broadcaster NBC-5 that Dawson was not wearing a life preserver and may not know how to swim.

The Cleveland Browns drafted Dawson in 2000 and he played there for two seasons. He also played with the Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts.

During his four seasons in the National Football League, he had 52 receptions for 664 yards and two touchdowns, according to the league's statistics.

(Reporting by Lisa Maria Garza; editing by Jon Herskovitz and G Crosse)"

He didn't know how to swim, but was on the water with no life vest. Just a tiny amount of common sense and he's still here with his family. Very sad, but completely preventable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-nfl-player-missing-falling-texas-lake-173530510--nfl.html

"By Lisa Maria Garza

DALLAS (Reuters) - Emergency crews are searching for former NFL receiver JaJuan Dawson, who went missing over the weekend after falling from a boat and into a lake in northern Texas, officials said on Monday.

Two adults and three children were on the boat when Dawson, 37, fell into Lavon Lake, northeast of Dallas, on Sunday night. Alcohol is not suspected to be a factor in the incident and no one else has been reported missing, Texas Game Warden and local fire department officials said. Family members told broadcaster NBC-5 that Dawson was not wearing a life preserver and may not know how to swim.

The Cleveland Browns drafted Dawson in 2000 and he played there for two seasons. He also played with the Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts.

During his four seasons in the National Football League, he had 52 receptions for 664 yards and two touchdowns, according to the league's statistics.

(Reporting by Lisa Maria Garza; editing by Jon Herskovitz and G Crosse)"

I had a traumatic experience in water as a kid and never really picked up swimming. I'm past fear of the water now but ALWAYS wear/have my own life vest. I get ribbed for it but the alternative for me is, ya know, death. I've met other people in the same position as me who never wear one and they just feel like they'd make it to shore if something bad happened. The problem is panic sets in super fast and often currents are stronger than one realizes. Such a shame for this guy if that is true.

I grew up in SoCal and with that came growing up in and around the water. That being said, I don't consider myself a 'strong swimmer' and whenever I'm on the water in a boat or PWC, I always wear my vest...... Hell, I even wear it on the dive boat, to and from the dive site. I get teased for it, but whatever.

I've always been a very strong swimmer. In my AF days, I was WSI certified...to teach life saving.

Having said that, after the AF, I recertified in lifesaving by taking the class at the U. of Akron back in the day.

The instructor knew I already was qualified, and used to be WSI in the AF... so when the time came, we all

had our lifesaving test - to go in and save a staff member that was pretending to be drowning and panicking.

When it was my turn, the instructor picked his assistant in the class, name was Dave Solomon.

Dave was an alternate...on the Israeli Olympic swimming team one year back then.

And he set a lot of swimming records at Akron.

We used to watch him, and he was like aquaman or something. Like a porpoise? He could move

through the water like I had no idea a human being could. Freakin amazing. He flew through the water

like a barracude, even with the butterfly.

As good a swimmer as I've been, I never could do the butterfly. I still have no freakin idea.

So, I had to rescue him for my test. I had a hell of a tough time, and when I thought I was in control with a locked in

cross chest carry, and started to swim him back to the edge of the pool, he went like a psychotic swordfish, whirling underwater,

going up into the air above the surface, crashing down towarsd the bottom of the pool....and it was all I could do to hold on. Well, I did pass, and he was laughing because the instructor put him up to it.....

I only tell that, because I want to reinforce what I want to say about swimming in cold water, when you

hadn't planned on being out where you could die from exposure.

Water temperatures can give even the best swimmer hypothermia after a time,

and the water doesn't have to be super cold to cause it. Too long in the water,

and you can go unconcious and die.

Back to the op -

A few of the remaining adults couldn't go in and find him?

That's so sad. Wearing life jackets when you are on the move in a boat,

is just a safe idea, that can save your life, especially in water with

little visibility. Safety saves lives, and never causes them to be lost.

RIP JuJuan. Worst possible way to go IMO. I grew up right here on Sandusky Bay and can't swim worth a damn. If I go near water that's over my head I have a life jacket on.

They found JuJu

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/cleveland/2015/07/14/body-recovered-from-texas-lake-believed-to-be-ex-browns-player/30128299/

WYLIE, Texas -- A body has been recovered from a Dallas-area lake in the search for an ex-Houston Texans receiver who fell from an inflatable tube being towed by a boat.

The Collin County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that the body is believed to be 37-year-old JaJuan Dawson of Murphy.

Lt. Chris Havey says divers located the body Monday night in Lavon Lake. An autopsy was ordered, but Havey says investigators believe it's Dawson.

Dawson was not wearing a life preserver during Sunday night's outing with his family on a rented boat.

The 6-foot-1, 197-pound receiver from Houston's Bourgeois High School played for Tulane before entering the NFL.

Dawson spent the 2000 and 2001 seasons with Cleveland and 2002 with Houston. He had 52 catches for 664 yards and two touchdowns.

RIP JuJuan. Worst possible way to go IMO. I grew up right here on Sandusky Bay and can't swim worth a damn. If I go near water that's over my head I have a life jacket on.

i belonged to briarcrest in perkins and was water skiing on the bay when i was like 10. i lived in that water. i guess that's why i have autism now. B)

Darwin award candidate.

..just, no.

He could have flipped over and swallowed a bunch of water and drowned despite the life vest. This was a man's life, who had children. There is nothing funny about this.

Archived