THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN takes courage to a new low

OldBrownsFan

Sad that so much better examples of real courage were passed over for this publicity hound who had some elective surgery.

Caitlyn Jenner excitedly wrote on Twitter “What the hell am I going to wear?” when it was announced that the reality star was to be honored at next month’s ESPY’s with the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.

"Apparently the ability to spend lavish amounts of money on plastic surgery in “transitioning” from male to female, followed by gobs of publicity — kicked off, not ironically, by an interview on ABC’s 20/20, which is owned by Disney, which owns ESPN, making the trio the entertainment world’s unholy trinity — trumps the courage of a women’s college basketball player’s ill-fated, uplifting, yet heartbreaking battle with brain cancer (Lauren Hill), a former NFL quarterback (Jim Kelly) who has recovered from cancer after appearing to potentially be terminally ill at this time last year, and a former race car driver (Alex Zanardi) who lost both his limbs in a gruesome auto racing accident only to become a champion paracyclist, Paralympics champion and New York Marathon winner, just to name three. Somehow, all of them apparently do not measure up in terms of courage according to the self-proclaimed “World Wide Leader” next to a narcissistic celebrity-obsessed, dysfunctional former Olympian turned reality TV diva."

http://newsok.com/ruthenberg-espn-takes-courage-to-a-new-low/article/feed/847394

Sad that so much better examples of real courage were passed over for this publicity hound who had some elective surgery.

Caitlyn Jenner excitedly wrote on Twitter “What the hell am I going to wear?” when it was announced that the reality star was to be honored at next month’s ESPY’s with the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.

"Apparently the ability to spend lavish amounts of money on plastic surgery in “transitioning” from male to female, followed by gobs of publicity — kicked off, not ironically, by an interview on ABC’s 20/20, which is owned by Disney, which owns ESPN, making the trio the entertainment world’s unholy trinity — trumps the courage of a women’s college basketball player’s ill-fated, uplifting, yet heartbreaking battle with brain cancer (Lauren Hill), a former NFL quarterback (Jim Kelly) who has recovered from cancer after appearing to potentially be terminally ill at this time last year, and a former race car driver (Alex Zanardi) who lost both his limbs in a gruesome auto racing accident only to become a champion paracyclist, Paralympics champion and New York Marathon winner, just to name three. Somehow, all of them apparently do not measure up in terms of courage according to the self-proclaimed “World Wide Leader” next to a narcissistic celebrity-obsessed, dysfunctional former Olympian turned reality TV diva."

http://newsok.com/ruthenberg-espn-takes-courage-to-a-new-low/article/feed/847394

Looks like Frankenstein's monster, with the voice to boot. And we honor this freak show. Big serious trouble.

ESPN had very little credibility to begin with.

This removes any remaining credibility they were clinging onto.

Bruce is entitled to get his freak on all he wants but it insults ones sensibility to relate his 'courage' to his competitors courage.

We all had the opportunity to shut of the tv though, so theres that.....

With "liberalism" being referred to as a mental disorder, I suppose it makes sense

that they are thrilled about this nutjob being in the news.....

Birds of a feather flock together, eh?

It's also sad. Sick stuff. I admit, I didn't even click on it to start watching.

Sensationalism on the fringe - reminds me of all those sickoes being deliriously happy and applauding.....

in the movie "Hunger Games"...

blech.

With "liberalism" being referred to as a mental disorder, I suppose it makes sense

that they are thrilled about this nutjob being in the news.....

Birds of a feather flock together, eh?

It's also sad. Sick stuff. I admit, I didn't even click on it to start watching.

Sensationalism on the fringe - reminds me of all those sickoes being deliriously happy and applauding.....

in the movie "Hunger Games"...

blech.

Play it just long enough to hear that voice come out of that body. I was waiting for an organ to play and Vincent Price to start narrating.

Oh my fuckin god. 10 seconds into it and I was done. Cleve will probably get a boner.

Liberalism

Add the word "courage" to the liberalese dictionary.

Oh how we have "evolved".

Not a chance pudgy. In fact i'm incensed by it. Incensed at ESPN and incensed at Jenner and her publicity crew that apparently approached ESPN about this in the first place. She's a disgrace to real transgendered people who aren't hounding for any kind of attention and awards. Jenner is exactly who I thought he/she was...another Kardashian whore who is all about themselves. The points that Jenner could have won by telling ESPN thanks but no thanks that award should go to one of the other deserving "current" athletes.

But miss me with your moms basement dwelling trolls.

It sucks raising children in today's society. You can't escape it. Watching the history channel or TLC and some commercial comes up of a TV show 'I am Jazz'.. and says, I'm transgendered. And I know my 9 year old son is probably confused as hell to what all this talk of transgendered, gay, lesbian, homo this homo that stuff is all about.

I don't know if he is ready for a serious talk or not... I hate having to think that it's not just about the birds and the bees anymore, but about all the other perversions that are ripping through society.

Proud to say I never turned it on but the endless coverage is unavoidable.

All about ratings, nothing to do with sports or courage.

Right? You think people wouldn't create threads about it because they're so annoyed that it's everywhere...

When people get awards like this they don't deserve over others who are more deserving it lowers the value of the awards themselves much like if for example someone would get a nobel peace prize for doing nothing over more deserving candidates.

I agree. I also think it would have been a really high class move on the part of Jenner to refuse the award and say it should go to the dying girl.

WSS

Jenner apparently still isn't taking responsibility for that car accident he/she caused that killed someone...so i'm not holding my breath on any class being shown in the future by this individual. When I managed nightclubs out west years ago a few transgendered people worked for me so I got to know a decent amount of them....after the culture shock wore off I found them hysterical and very very decent people. It breaks my heart that this Kardashian pub whore is going to be their advocate. THey really needed someone better than this. There's a rumor going around that basically the Caitlyn publicity machine approached ESPN and told them to give it to her....if there's a shred of truth to that omg throw them all off a boat. I'm calling it now that "Caitlyn" will do irreparable damage to the TS community. You all should enjoy her cause she's gonna do the legwork for you. What an utter sham.

Courage is not changing sex

Courage is knowing you will die, and still fighting

LAUREN HILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren Hill would have been a great pick. I also was impressed with the race car driver who lost both legs in a racing accident and found new ways to compete and push his physical endurance. It seems like he took a huge blow with losing both legs and just looked forward to new ways to compete and never looked back. He is another inspiring story to those who have tragedy in their lives but don't let it keep them down.

Archived