THE BROWNS BOARD

Schizophrenic cities....NFL market overlap study

The Gipper

As noted in the survey thread, I had done a study a couple or so years back about cities in the US that were or could be "schizophrenic" in that geographically they were located either within the 75 mile Neilsen DMA NFL market of two different teams, or were just outside the markets of two teams, but more or less equidistant from two teams. Here are some of those results:

Cities that lie inside the 75 mile market radius of two or more NFL teams:

Youngstown Ohio....inside both Cleveland and Pittsburgh DMA (Also Sharon Pa.)

Sandusky Ohio....inside both Cleveland and Detroit DMA

Wilmington DE, Lancaster PA, York PA....each inside both Baltimore and Philly DMA

Richmond Indiana....inside both Cincinnati and Indianapolis DMA

Trenton NJ....inside both the NYC team and Philly DMAs

Note....most of the Ravens and Redskins DMA overlaps due to proximity of teams.

Also note: I did not separate any of NYC as both Jets/Giants markets coincide

The same applies for the Raiders and 49ers....at least it used to. Perhaps now things are different since the Niners are now closer to San Jose. The entire city of San Francisco now is closer to where the Raiders play than to where the Niners play.

Cities that lie just outside the DMAs of two (or more) NFL markets that could have a pull on their loyalty:

Hartford Conn.....about equidistant from the NYC team and the NE Pats

Cumberland MD....equidistant from Pittsburgh and both Balt/Wash DMA

Erie Pa.....actually equidistant from 3 teams: Bills/Browns/Steelers

Columbus, Ohio.....just outside the DMAs of both Cleveland and Cincinnati

Lima Ohio.....actually sits about equidistant from the DMA of Brown/Lions/Bengals/and Colts

Fort Wayne Ind.....about equidistant from each of Lions, Bears, Colts

Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Battle Creek Mich....each about equidistant from Bears/Lions DMA

(though, being in Mich...I think these cities trend toward the Lions)

Paducah KY...equidistant between St. Louis and Nashville (Titans)

Louisville KY....about equidistant between Colts and Bengals

Chattanooga TN....exactly equal between Nashville and Atlanta

Greenville SC....equidistant between Charlotte and Atlanta

Orlando FLa....roughly equidistant between Tampa and Jacksonville

(though I understand that most of Orlando is Dolphin country)

These are most of the "fairly close" equidistant cities. There are a lot of others in the country....but while they may be equidistant....the distances are pretty far...hundreds of mile possibly.

Questions:

A. Do you know of any other cities with "divided loyalties" between teams? You Texas guys can let us know about Texas perhaps.

B. Of the above cities...which of the two choices do people in those generally prefer? (or does it depend on which team is winning at the time....e.g. I generally think that Youngstown is a Browns town...but with the Browns being crappy and the Steelers being generally contenders....some there may trend toward favoring the Steelers. In other words, how much of a FRAK factor is at play in those towns?0

Austin is mostly Cowboys as there are a ton of Mexicans here and the three items you get on the border are a UT shirt, Cowboys shirt, and Spurs shirt.

Some defected to the Texans when they were good. The Spurs are never bad. During this extended streak of UT mediocrity they've pretty much kept that stuff in the closet and not repped other schools.

Austin is mostly Cowboys as there are a ton of Mexicans here and the three items you get on the border are a UT shirt, Cowboys shirt, and Spurs shirt.

Some defected to the Texans when they were good. The Spurs are never bad. During this extended streak of UT mediocrity they've pretty much kept that stuff in the closet and not repped other schools.

What about San Antonio? About the same as Austin?

Technically- Dayton is a Cincinnati market- though in practice, it isn't. I would guesstimate the "Hard Core" Bengal presence at 20%. Everything else is the worst case of FRAKS you could imagine. Bengals start losing, and it's time to hide under their rocks- and wait till the Reds play. Of course the Reds are sucking pretty bad this year too.

Technically- Dayton is a Cincinnati market- though in practice, it isn't. I would guesstimate the "Hard Core" Bengal presence at 20%. Everything else is the worst case of FRAKS you could imagine. Bengals start losing, and it's time to hide under their rocks- and wait till the Reds play. Of course the Reds are sucking pretty bad this year too.

So, Larry, who do the Daytoners FRAK for.....the current flavor of the day? Seahawks/Patriots and the like?

I have never known one single Detroit Lions fan from Sandusky and I have spent the majority of my life here. There's an unhealthy contingent of Frontrunner Squeeler goons though. There ARE Lions fans in the Toledo area. Ex-wife's family is from there and several of them are Lions fans, but even among them there are more Browns fans and a few that root for both teams. I have noticed an increase in Tigers fans the last few years in these parts. More frontrunner losers with no loyalty.

I have never known one single Detroit Lions fan from Sandusky and I have spent the majority of my life here. There's an unhealthy contingent of Frontrunner Squeeler goons though. There ARE Lions fans in the Toledo area. Ex-wife's family is from there and several of them are Lions fans, but even among them there are more Browns fans and a few that root for both teams. I have noticed an increase in Tigers fans the last few years in these parts. More frontrunner losers with no loyalty.

It has always been my impression that Sandusky was a Browns town....despite being equally close to Detroit.

The lack of championships for both the Browns and the Lions opens the door for the FRAKfuckers to walk through....and give those types lack of loyalty/loser mentality....they invariably do walk through that door.

If the Lions or Browns had been suckass and the Steelers suckasses as well, then they would be fans of other teams.

So....from what I have been able to trace from the above chart Browns fans:

A. Drink whatever beer they can get their hands on to drown their sorrows.

B. Often cry for no apparent reason

C. Do NOT like Country Music

D. Do NOT like Facial Hair

E. Choose Invisibility as their Superpower

F. Like Football.

Typical Steeler fan:

A. Brings their own towel when they take a leak

B. Like watching History Channel

C. Describe their fashion style as normal

D. Choose something other than Flying or Invisibility as their Super Power

E. Like Football

The notion that Browns fans are the most loyal I think is a myth.

I think the notion that you think is a myth ;-)

But seriously I drove otr for awile and spent a few games in other

Cities rooting for the Browns Although I did get a few laughs for

My choice of fandom I was well received as knowledgeable in my football

IQ!!! The teams with more than there share of fans from "out of state" were

The Cowboys,Raiders,Atlanta and Dolphins. The next tier was Da bears,Browns,Giants

49ers,after that dependent on where you were! I was mostly south and west. Atlanta

was the best place to get loaded then Dallas or Chicagoland!!! I touched easily all

4 coasts in a year. I touched Mexico half a dozen times but never went in. Same for

Canada.

Well I said that too.

Oh? Was that you? I have a trip coming up in November....but I will be in SA for 3 days...then off to other parts of TX and OK.

Then maybe next May.....depends on if my daughter has her act together to graduate on time. That is an open question.

The notion that Browns fans are the most loyal I think is a myth.

Can you imagine what Steeler fans would be like if it had been attempted to have their team ripped away from them.....then had to endure 15 years of terrible on field performance?

Do you think they would have sold out all games in those 15 years? Have a lower no show rate than a team that had appeared in 3 Super Bowls in the last decade?

No...I don't think so.

They would have been Jacksonville north.....and their stadium would look and sound like this:

Archived