Ohio: The bandwagon state

StinkHole

OK....but here is some reality:

Offensive Skill players:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger vs. Josh McCown

RB: Leveon Bell vs. Isaiah Crowell

TE: Heath Miller vs. Gary Barnridge

WR1: Antonio Brown vs. Dwayne Bowe

WR2. Markus Wheaton vs. Brian Hartline (though he may be displaced.

Irregardless (yes, I used it)....I don't see a position where the Steelers lose the comparison. Do you?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the same PFF rating system, here is the break out for 2014....by position/group, Browns won hands down.....

Stillers were stronger at RB....QB....DL ....

Browns were stronger at CB....S....OLB....ILB....OL....WR...

TE was a wash......

Now, here is the Front Seven on Defense....I am going two deep on these as I think this is the one area on a team where there is the most need for depth.

RDE Desmond Bryant/John Hughes ....vs...Cameron Heyward/Cam Thomas

NT: Danny Shelton/Phil Taylor...vs...Steve McClendon/Daniel McCullers

LDE: Randy Starks/Billy Winn/X. Cooper...vs...Stephon Tuitt/Clifton Geathers

LOLB: Barkevious Mingo/Armonty Bryant...vs...Arthur Moats/Bud Dupree

LILB: Karlos Dansby/Tank Carder...vs....Ryan Shazier/Sean Spence

RILB: Craig Robertson/Christian Kirksey...vs....Lawrence Timmons/Vince Williams

ROLB: Paul Kruger/Nate Orchard...vs...James Harrison/Jarvis Jones

Italics=rookies

Choose who you think wins these matchups.

Using the same PFF rating system, here is the break out for 2014....by position/group, Browns won hands down.....

TE was a wash......

Well, Browns did lose some with moves by Sheard and Jordan Cameron.....have they made up for them?

Plus...I am having trouble seeing where the Browns were better at WR.

And I don't see where Steelers are better overall at DLine......if the Browns are healthy.

Now, here is the Front Seven on Defense....I am going two deep on these as I think this is the one area on a team where there is the most need for depth.

My opinions:

Heyward is probably the best individual....but I think the combo of Bryant/Huges is better than Heyward/Thomas

Browns.

Browns

Browns....until and unless Dupree really proves himself

Browns....until and unless Shazier proves himself

Steelers....until and unless Kirksey really proves himself

Browns....Kruger in prime, Harrison over the hill, Jones has done nothing much in two years. Orchard could make QBs fall like apples off a tree.

Italics=rookies

PFF grades the Browns line at 77.5 and the Stillers line at 42.5.....so there that(it's not even close really)

Thomas 33.5 vs Beachum 21.7

Bitonio 22.4 vs Foster -0.9

Mack 6.9 vs Pouncey 9.8 (note: w/o injury, mack would average out to 22.3)(much higher "per game" score)

Greco 14.2 vs Decastro 5.2

Schwartz 0.5 vs Gilbert 6.8....

So....reality is that Schwartz is the only one with a lower average score......and Bito, Thomas, Greco AND Mack score way way higher.....

Id say these are the most objective and thorough ratings available.....much more solid than just opinion....

Ok, thank you for digging that up. I would however love to see exactly how they rate the players. What are they measuring and what does a 33.5 rating mean vs a 21.7? You see, the problem I have with all of this is these ratings don't necessarily pass my eyeball test. One of the things I'm sure you'll agree is that our qb holds on to the ball longer than just about anyone I've ever seen (I have no proof, just my subjective observation). So the problem I have is if say Dave Decastro holds his block for 8 seconds and Ben moves around back and forth and is finally sacked by the guy Decastro is blocking because he ran right into him, do these rating account for things like that? Because if it's purely on sacks allowed I'm inclined to say that blocking for Ben is much different than blocking for just about anyone else. When I say eyeball test I mean I've literally seen that exact scenario play out many times.

Yes, Pouncey is better.

Mack is better, and it's not even close, Bud.

He was absolutely dominating from the center position last year before his injury. Pouncey is solid, but not as good as Mack.

Zombo

Next ...

How about the defensive backfield.

LCB: Joe Haden vs. Cortez Allen

SS: Donte Whitner vs. Shamarko Thomas

FS: Tashaun Gipson vs. Mike Mitchell

RCB: Tramon Williams vs. William Gay

I don't see a position where the Browns lose the comparison. Do any of you?

Browns win hands down.

Mack is better, and it's not even close, Bud.

He was absolutely dominating from the center position last year before his injury. Pouncey is solid, but not as good as Mack.

Zombo

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'll admit, I don't watch Mack every weekend. I watch Pouncey and he's a beast. He runs down the field like a fullback. He pulls. He's a fantastic athlete. I actually met him a few weeks ago at a Texas Roadhouse near my home. I got a picture of him with my 11 year old son. I'm 6' and around 275lbs. He towered over me and his hand was like a softball glove. I was impressed.

TE was a wash......

I'm confused how the Browns could be rated higher at ILB and WR. Doesn't make sense. Your TE's were better than Heath Miller? Again, I'd really like to see what the ratings are based on.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'll admit, I don't watch Mack every weekend. I watch Pouncey and he's a beast. He runs down the field like a fullback. He pulls. He's a fantastic athlete. I actually met him a few weeks ago at a Texas Roadhouse near my home. I got a picture of him with my 11 year old son. I'm 6' and around 275lbs. He towered over me and his hand was like a softball glove. I was impressed.

Alright, we will agree to disagree, we'll see how they each do this year. Our guy Tourma does a great rating and recap of our OL each week, and I remember Mack was just scoring off the charts each week whether it was good one or bad for the rest of the line.

6' 275lb ... it wouldn't kill ya to mix in a salad every now and then.

Zombo

Italics=rookies

I can't speak about the Browns players. I can tell you Cam Heyward is fantastic. All hustle, good leader, very strong. He applies a lot of pressure.

Cam Thomas is garbage and outside of a flood of injuries I don't see how he makes the team.

Steve Mclendon played with a shoulder injury last year. Very strong 2 gap player that I have a high opinion of.

Dan McCullers was a rookie spot player last year who started at times late in the season due to injuries. He's a house, like 6'8" 350. Tough to move.

Stephon Tuitt was a rook out of ND and really got better over the course of the year. He'll start this year and expectations are high.

Arthur Moats is an average journeyman type player who I expect will start at the beginning and eventually be replaced by Dupree when he's ready.

Jones was injured last year after having 2 sacks in 3 games. He came back but had a hard time and had to split with Harrison.

Harrison continues to be a beast who will get situational pass rush opportunities this year. Love the guy.

Shazier fought injuries last year but flashed when he played. I expect him and Timmons to become one of the best tandems in the NFL by years end.

Vince Williams and Sean Spence have been solid backups. Larry Foote type players.

Alright, we will agree to disagree, we'll see how they each do this year. Our guy Tourma does a great rating and recap of our OL each week, and I remember Mack was just scoring off the charts each week whether it was good one or bad for the rest of the line.

6' 275lb ... it wouldn't kill ya to mix in a salad every now and then.

Zombo

I eat a lot of salad. I just have a head the size of a volkswagen.

Go look at the thread on Schizophrenic cities.....it deals exactly with this subject. This issue may not seem important to us in the heart of Browns country or in the heart of Steeler country.....but it seems an issue for the folks in those parts.

To PA it may be no big thing whether Harrisburg is Steeler or Eagle backers....as it is such a small market compared to Philly and Pitt. But Columbus is a different deal in this state as though the entire market still is 3rd behind Cleve/Cinci...it is not that far behind. So it is a big segment of the state.

To NFL teams the important thing of course is money. Can the Browns outtrump the Bengals for the Columbus NFL dollar? That is what these team execs worry about. It may not be as big as Can the Steelers outtrump the Eagles for the Harrisburg dollar? Just not as many dollars at stake.

Exactly! I've lived in Columbus, OH for two years and there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Columbus isn't like most state capitals, it's a huge city with a lot of hearts and minds for an NFL team to capture.

2. Just like myself, a huge portion of the city is a transient population. This is a growing city with people moving from all over the Midwest and Northeast. I can personally verify this after my very first night in this city!

tumblr_ndczbjvI7u1smhf73o1_1280.jpg

Didn't see this bearded fuck in your analysis, did he retire?

Safe to say they haven't made up the three TDs they lost to us by last time we played.

Zombo

Our quadrennial, haphazard loss to the Browns. Coinciding with the frequency of the World Cup.

I'm 6' and around 275lbs. He towered over me and his hand was like a softball glove. I was impressed.

At 6ft 275lbs. with children, and loves salads to control his large head, seriously we login as Trolling for dick. That just sounds Stockton Shortish :o Go Browns!!

Our quadrennial, haphazard loss to the Browns. Coinciding with the frequency of the World Cup.

lol. Yes, for the last two decades when we actually had a team, I will give you that. The picture and the score you see in it, however, is a sign of things to come.

"Even playing in only five games this past season, Alex Mack (6'4", 311 lbs) ranks in the top five among centers in the NFL. He finished with just enough snaps to qualify for our list and no doubt would have ranked higher if he was healthy throughout the year. "

No doubt ...

Z

"Even playing in only five games this past season, Alex Mack (6'4", 311 lbs) ranks in the top five among centers in the NFL. He finished with just enough snaps to qualify for our list and no doubt would have ranked higher if he was healthy throughout the year. "

No doubt ...

Z

4 is higher.

But lets not lose track of what you said....Mack is better, and it's not even close, Bud.

Archived