THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi Startin' Shit - Never A Dull Moment

D Bone

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/7/21/9008787/grossi-northcutts-departure-from-browns-a-sign-of-the-rift-between

Ever since Jason La Canfora's attacks on the Cleveland Browns organization in February, it has been a rather "dull" offseason for the team in terms of off-the-field drama. After being hit with Kyle Shanahan's departure, Johnny Manziel being in rehab, Alec Scheiner being too involved in football stuff, Josh Gordon's year-long ban, and Ray Farmer's texting situation all at once, the past few months have pretty much involved watching a tumbleweed roll by...until today. (cue dramatic music)
When the Browns first hired Jamil Northcutt as the Director of Player Engagement in 2014, it probably went unnoticed to the majority of fans. Similarly, the news of his coming-soon departure from a couple of days ago wasn't met with a lot of feedback from fans. This morning, he's at the center of attention, though, thanks to a report by Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland.
Northcutt's position was supposed to involve assisting players, particularly rookies, in their transition to the NFL and how they can transition to a career outside the NFL when the time comes. In Grossi's report, he describes how Northcutt reportedly ended up becoming one of the intermediary sources of tension between GM Ray Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine and the rest of the coaching staff. Northcutt would have been in Farmer's back pocket, as the two had a relationship extending back to their time with the Kansas City Chiefs. Here are a few of the gems from Grossi's report:
Grossi had two sources with different stories on Northcutt having an active role on the sidelines last season. One source told Grossi that Northcutt "was a recipient of Farmer’s in-game texting, and that he relayed messages from Farmer to the coaches." Another source told Grossi that this "was absolutely false."
Last year, the Browns couldn't stop the Texans' running backs, even with Arian Foster out of the lineup. Cleveland's defense gave up 210 yards to backup running backs Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes. Grossi says that a confrontation took place between Northcutt and defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil. If that really happened and I was O'Neil, I'd certainly be thinking, "excuse me, who the hell are you?"
Grossi also says that Northcutt asked offensive line coach Andy Moeller why backup offensive lineman Vinston Painter wasn't being considered as a replacement center for Alex Mack. You can certainly see how the coaching staff would be frustrated by a person who is supposed to assist with off-the-field stuff and character development, yet suddenly starts questioning their decision-making with players on gameday, knowing that he may be influenced by Farmer.
The million dollar question now is whether any of these reports have any merit, or is Northcutt's departure just...a plain-old departure? The reports seem to fit a lot of the context about the rifts that existed last season between Farmer and the coaching staff. I see it as something that helps connect the dots, in hindsight. I don't think it has a significant impact moving forward, though, and that stems from my viewpoint on this situation the entire time: no organization is perfect, and the Browns are far from broken. They've tried to patch things up, so I'm moving on. Who is ready to get back to football in two weeks?

Northcutt's position was supposed to involve assisting players, particularly rookies, in their transition to the NFL and how they can transition to a career outside the NFL when the time comes

Well, among other things, if these were his responsibilities, just on the surface it seems that he did a poor job. That alone could have gotten him canned.

If he was getting into the middle of shit with GM and HC....that just helped him on his way out the door.

Sayonara.

Haha, karma.

Just thought I'd stop in, take a dump of Zombo, laugh at the guys who thought Farmer was anything more than a total moron, and the joke he is, toast your upcoming 2-14 season, and leave..

Buh bye....

Don't leave so soon.

Hang around so Zombo can bruise your chin with his scrotum.

Haha, karma.

Just thought I'd stop in, take a dump of Zombo, laugh at the guys who thought Farmer was anything more than a total moron, and the joke he is, toast your upcoming 2-14 season, and leave..

Buh bye....

Spent the off-season in grammar school, I see.

Zombo

Seriously, I feel bad. I really do.

Cleveland doesn't deserve a scumbag like Haslam, and the uncle Tom he hired.

Until the team is sold again, expect more of the same, just with different second and third tier stooges filling the chairs in the GM office.

Until then, Zombo, and other brainless entities can take their football frustrations out on me..

It's free entertainment..

Ya, times are tough.

We traded two first rounders for a WR, then our coach quit, our quarterback retired, and a Chinese woman now makes all the big decisions.

Oh wait ... that's Buffalo.

Zombo

--has Rex sneaked into her shoes closet yet?

Just like myself. Sounds like Farmer took the Garbage Out of the Office and Sat It By The Road.. Know your role or roll idiot.. Text Shanny he cares.. C ya!!

Ya, times are tough.

We traded two first rounders for a WR, then our coach quit, our quarterback retired, and a Chinese woman now makes all the big decisions.

Oh wait ... that's Buffalo.

Zombo

--has Rex sneaked into her shoes closet yet?

Fricking Nice. LOL :D

Haha. Your new owner is a purse snatcher...just perfect for the worst franchise in all of sports history.

Eternally rebuilding, only to find the end worse than the beginning.

Just when you think you hit bottom, a new all time low drops the bar where no other city can even imagine.

I can't blame you guys for the lashing it at those who are just feeling sorry for you..

But hey, you got Dwayne Bowe and a McCown now, so I'm guessing you are still feeling Super Bowl.

Downright hilarious....

Take care boys, I'll check back in when you are 0-8...

As opposed to Kyle Orton and Matt Cassell.

Haha. Your new owner is a purse snatcher...

I'm not a fan of Haslem, so "check" on point #1

Point #2, you're going to be dead wrong. AFC North champs this season for the Browns,.

So.. if he'll come back when we're 0-8.. that means we'll never see him again. Problem solved!

well.....he did promise to go away after the first post and that didnt happen......so.....trolls be trolls.....

Seriously, I feel bad. I really do.

Cleveland doesn't deserve a scumbag like Haslam, and the uncle Tom he hired.

Until the team is sold again, expect more of the same, just with different second and third tier stooges filling the chairs in the GM office.

Until then, Zombo, and other brainless entities can take their football frustrations out on me..

It's free entertainment..

I knew Uncle Tom. I knew what kind of a man he was. I too am an Uncle Tom......you sir are no Uncle Tom

Haha. Your new owner is a purse snatcher...just perfect for the worst franchise in all of sports history.

Worst franchise in all of History? Considering that....in Pro Football history anyway, only the Packers and the Bears have won more championships, your statement is a bit incongruous.

Just when you think you hit bottom, a new all time low drops the bar where no other city can even imagine.

Are you really a Bills fan? Are you the pot or the kettle?

I can't blame you guys for the lashing it at those who are just feeling sorry for you..

But hey, you got Dwayne Bowe and a McCown now, so I'm guessing you are still feeling Super Bowl.

Downright hilarious....

Again, who do you root for? You state correctly that it is not Bowe and McCown who will personally bring the Browns success.....but the fact is, the Browns have one of the best OLs in the NFL, one of the best DBs in the NFL, perhaps one of the best DLs in the NFL. If they win it will be because they are good where it counts: the trenches.

Downright hilarious....

I hate when ex girlfriends show up out of the blue to bitch and be catty.

It would be one thing if a Pats fan was talking shit............ But a Bills fan?? HA! That's like an Ethiopian making fun of someone who's hungry.

I wonder whose dick ,Grossi sucks that he's even able to maintain a job, posting the ilk that he does. He's been awful since his days when he started writting for the PD.. Someone should can this negative weasel.

I wonder whose dick ,Grossi sucks that he's even able to maintain a job, posting the ilk that he does. He's been awful since his days when he started writting for the PD.. Someone should can this negative weasel.

Do you really truly believe that his livelihood comes down to fellatio? :unsure:

Do you really truly believe that his livelihood comes down to fellatio? :unsure:

No Gip, And I certainly would hope not.. But no mistake.. he's a bonafide hack....

I was hoping you would say yes....so that you could join him in the hacky sack world.

Unhuh...

C'mon folks, give Grossi credit for being great at what he is...a GOSSIP MONGER!

Did anyone notice all the others, CBS, FOX, etc who took his crap & ran with it? Media=bush league. End of story

Mike

Grossi definitely has his own agenda and always seems a lil butt hurt if you ask me. He used to have the inside track on all the Browns stories, but now is just another reporter on the outside - looking in.....

And you can tell that bugs him and he kind of lashes out whenever possible....

A couple days ago, after this story came out, Browns.com radio was completely ripping him and Mary Kay.....saying #1) this story is a complete crock and shouldnt have been printed...and #2) Mary Kay only asks Johnny questions, when he's not even a factor currently....ultimately saying these guys have no interest in whats current they only care about sensationalism, JFF storylines and digging for dirt in general....

Now, you have to assume Browns radio is pretty much controlled by the Browns...right?.....so, that tells ya how they feel about these 2.....

C'mon folks, give Grossi credit for being great at what he is...a GOSSIP MONGER!

Did anyone notice all the others, CBS, FOX, etc who took his crap & ran with it? Media=bush league. End of story

Mike

Tony Grossi is the Rona Barrett of the NFL.... Or Rex Reed.. wich ever suits your fantasy better LOL.

Archived