THE BROWNS BOARD

Slavery?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

WSS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

WSS

It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

I'd be very surprised had it lasted longer than one generation.

But who knows? It wasn't even extremely profitable then nor likely to get more profitable.

And it was becoming increasingly dangerous. I can't imagine the uprisings in the newly formed United southern states wouldn't be pretty horrendous.

WSS

I'd be very surprised had it lasted longer than one generation.

But who knows? It wasn't even extremely profitable then nor likely to get more profitable.

And it was becoming increasingly dangerous. I can't imagine the uprisings in the newly formed United southern states wouldn't be pretty horrendous.

WSS

Dunno alternate history is mostly all guess work, the Cotton business had seen a reemergence in the early 1800's from the invention of the cotton gin and the increasing demand of cotton in europe(Britian\France). My guess would be, had the South actually separated, the borders states(Maryland, KY, Missouri) would have given up slavery with in a generation abolishing slavery completely in the North, there would have been a few more John Brown type revolts(funded by northern backers) and that would have either fully led to a different Civil War(North vs South but a few years later) or a restructuring of rules about slavery that would have slowly faded out slavery in time.

Lincoln took issue with slavery so let's put that to rest. IMO the notion of States' rights vs. strong Federal government was the main motivation of the Civil War but slavery was a stain on the nation. We are arguing a point that can't be proven at this point because we can't go back and alter history but as long as there is an economic need for labor slavery will persist, in varying degrees, until society deems it inappropriate. I think we can draw parallels to the issue of illegal immigration. There are employers who know that their labor force is illegal but they choose to turn a blind eye for the cheap labor, capitalism doesn't require morality.

Lincoln took issue with slavery so let's put that to rest. IMO the notion of States' rights vs. strong Federal government was the main motivation of the Civil War but slavery was a stain on the nation. We are arguing a point that can't be proven at this point because we can't go back and alter history but as long as there is an economic need for labor slavery will persist, in varying degrees, until society deems it inappropriate. I think we can draw parallels to the issue of illegal immigration. There are employers who know that their labor force is illegal but they choose to turn a blind eye for the cheap labor, capitalism doesn't require morality.

Slavery was the main issue that started the war. Specifically expansion of slavery into western territories.

I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

(where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

WSS

I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

(where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

WSS

Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

No doubt.

And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

WSS

No doubt.

And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

WSS

One of the things I've always felt has made America great is our ability to recognize inequality in our own nation and change it from within. The abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, civil rights movement, etc. were all accomplished by Americans taking a stand for what's right

So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane

Let me clear about something, if Slavery goes on in a country but only a small % of the people practice it...those that don't aren't getting counted in my original statement. Now if you are indeed a slave holder or explicitly condone it.....you think it's insane on my part to consider those people's lives unfit for our world? So if you had the power to eradicate such people who for the sake of argument we're going to say are completely intransigent on the subject and consider it their divine god given right to own other human beings? You wouldn't? Cause i'd turn those people off like a light switch....millions billions trillions makes no difference. We are afterall talking about the most fundamental evil that humans practice. You can parse out different forms of slavery if you wish...like indentured servitude blah blah ....that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about the unwilling detention and forced labor of another human being who did nothing wrong and isn't working off some debt because of a crime he committed.

WSS

No it would have been absolutely worth it. Slavery was a shitstain on our honor. Let me very clear....we were "NOT" an honorable country as long as we practiced slavery. It's a fundamental evil. Now you're right, it may not have lasted all that much longer but it would have lasted long enough. One day of slavery is one day too many. If you don't get that, again....what happened to your moral compass?

Archived