THE BROWNS BOARD

BREAKING NEWS: Shooting in Lafayette, LA movie theater

blowe

Is that truly what you believe? Yes a gun there may have saved lives but over the long run wouldn't it cause more incidents?

To be clear, I love my guns. Just playing devils advocate.

facepalm.gif

Do you know why it is? People don't tend to acknowledge their selected outrage but, basically, the long and the short of it is when a 'privileged' person (of any ethnicity) sees a story about a black guy killing a black guy, called D'Quantellius or whatever, that little internal filter pops up and says 'well, they're most likely gang members, black people kill black people all the time and so this is fine, probably drug dealers anyway' and so they ignore it.

White people killing people on the other hand, even though they might clearly be psychopaths, is all over the place, because white people are subconsciously held to a higher standard than blacks, we're 'more evolved' physically (bollocks) or socially (not necessarily bollocks in certain cases).

So this is why, three thousand people dying each weeks in violent crimes in chicago doesn't make waves, but a white guy going postal in a cinema does.

We can all agree, I think, that killing people is bad, we'd rather not have people killing each other. It seems usually psychos like in SC, or people not knowing how to handle their conflicts, and not knowing how to manage their anger, things escalate and guns get drawn etc.

Very occasionally you'll see someone shot in an attempted robbery or something - and to be honest, I don't have a *huge* problem with that. I'd still rather someone not have the judge/jury/executioner death sentence for it, but especially in the US they know what they're getting in to.

And so we turn a blind eye to the urban violent crime deaths, because that's in the ghetto, we expect that to happen. But here's the thing - shouldn't we expect better from everybody? Not just white people?

Do you know why it is? People don't tend to acknowledge their selected outrage but, basically, the long and the short of it is when a 'privileged' person (of any ethnicity) sees a story about a black guy killing a black guy, called D'Quantellius or whatever, that little internal filter pops up and says 'well, they're most likely gang members, black people kill black people all the time and so this is fine, probably drug dealers anyway' and so they ignore it.

White people killing people on the other hand, even though they might clearly be psychopaths, is all over the place, because white people are subconsciously held to a higher standard than blacks, we're 'more evolved' physically (bollocks) or socially (not necessarily bollocks in certain cases).

So this is why, three thousand people dying each weeks in violent crimes in chicago doesn't make waves, but a white guy going postal in a cinema does.

We can all agree, I think, that killing people is bad, we'd rather not have people killing each other. It seems usually psychos like in SC, or people not knowing how to handle their conflicts, and not knowing how to manage their anger, things escalate and guns get drawn etc.

Very occasionally you'll see someone shot in an attempted robbery or something - and to be honest, I don't have a *huge* problem with that. I'd still rather someone not have the judge/jury/executioner death sentence for it, but especially in the US they know what they're getting in to.

And so we turn a blind eye to the urban violent crime deaths, because that's in the ghetto, we expect that to happen. But here's the thing - shouldn't we expect better from everybody? Not just white people?

Lee Rigby

I don't think thats entirely true.

In a black community, a black guy shooting up a theater full of blacks would have made the same news.

This case has nothing to do with "selective" outrage IMO. Its outrage period because it took place in a damn movie theater, not in some inner city back alley where a drug deal has gone bad....going to the movies expecting an enjoyable time and ending up fearing for your life or ending up dead is outrageous. Whats next, restaurants? Browns games?

Not to go off topic, but your reference to an "internal filter" popping up reminds me of the stereotype attached to the serial killer.

When news breaks out of a serial killer on the loose, the first image that pops up in anyones mind is that of some psycho white guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gYc5fvMQ0

I don't think thats entirely true.

In a black community, a black guy shooting up a theater full of blacks would have made the same news.

This case has nothing to do with "selective" outrage IMO. Its outrage period because it took place in a damn movie theater, not in some inner city back alley where a drug deal has gone bad....going to the movies expecting an enjoyable time and ending up fearing for your life or ending up dead is outrageous. Whats next, restaurants? Browns games?

Not to go off topic, but your reference to an "internal filter" popping up reminds me of the stereotype attached to the serial killer.

When news breaks out of a serial killer on the loose, the first image that pops up in anyones mind is that of some psycho white guy.

I think you're saying the same thing from a different angle. Black guys killing black guys in alleys - it's expected, it doesn't even measure a tremor on the national (or international) consciousness. Some stereotypical white psycho shoots up a cinema - or mall, football game, or bar - is not expected. It's not the way non-ghetto people are supposed to behave, and so it causes massive shocks.

It speaks to an attitude of 'second class citizens' towards those people living in the ghettos, whether they're black (predominantly) or white (not infrequently) or other, in my mind at least. "Let's just leave those guys to sort themselves out" - like animals fighting over alpha-male status or something.

I like at least having a chance instead of just leaving it up to hoping a shooter runs out of ammo before getting to me.

Yeah, me too, but like I said should we be packing everywhere? I know I can handle having a firearm responsibly but there are so many idiots that would draw at the first sign of an argument.

So what are movie theaters to do? Armed guards and metal detectors?

Personally I'd prefer to watch a movie with Logic somewhere in the audience. Or somebody like him.

WSS

All it takes is an argument between two gun wielding knuckleheads and some shit goes down at a movie theater. It would only be a matter of time. I would be willing to bet that if you allowed anybody to bring a firearm into a movie theater that the number of incidents would go up.. not down. But that's me just reasoning in my head. There is no proof.

Well, in Mo., I was allowed to have my ccw with me in the theater. And I agree with Steve -

I would want to be at a theater with Legacy having his gun there.

The question about stereotyping all gun owners, or many of them, as ornery western saloon gunfights

ready to happen...

Maybe with illegal carrying. But CCW have legit background checks. And required training, though not in all states

with the required training, maybe.

But I actually asked this question of my CCW instructor, who was a weapons expert in the special forces for 4.5 years.

He said his advice is different for most other people, than his advice would be for those highy trained in

close combat, populated environments and unexpected scenarios. You have so many factors involved - scattering movement, maybe lighting, distance, richochet, ... an immediate interruption of your line of sight by a person who could jump up

from being a theater seat and take off running, right when you were going to shoot the murderer, and of course,

identifying the actual murderer, and not an off duty policeman with a gun, eh?

But, given a safe shot, clear of those problems - I would take it to save my family and friends and innocent people.

I was very comfortable with my gun with me. Gander Mtn has some round room video training rooms somewhere.

I want to be a lot more trained in that kind of thing. Because someday, we could be out fishing at a lake,

hiking... at a fair, ...

But forcing the good folks to be unarmed, because mentally ill people murder people with a gun...

is nothing but a political/emotional gambit. Too bad.

If I were in a Walmart, and some nut starts shooting, my Wifie and I run to cover, and if cornered...

I will take the murderer out with no hesitation.

We love NCIS. And LA NCIS, but not the New Orleans one. that one just doesn't work.

But you see some nutjob, shooting witha hostage as a human shield...what would I do?

He's shooting at innocent people, I can't fire at him because I might hit the innocent human shield?

Well, his one arm is tied up with holding the hostage, that's leaving him with one arm with one gun.

In that situation...I'd draw his fire by fireing "safely" into the ceiling above him, or a nearby water cooler... until he shot towards me,

behind cover, until he ran out of bullets. Then he has to be rushed before he can let go of the hostage and reload,

and or, shot when the hostage is let go and runs, before he can reload.

Heck if I know. I'm not highly trained. But that's just my instincts as best I can imagine a scenario like that.

Personally, I would always want Ziva or Gibbs in attendance in places where this crime happens....

I think I'll call my CCW instructor and see if he does advanced training classes.

All it takes is an argument between two gun wielding knuckleheads and some shit goes down at a movie theater. It would only be a matter of time. I would be willing to bet that if you allowed anybody to bring a firearm into a movie theater that the number of incidents would go up.. not down. But that's me just reasoning in my head. There is no proof.

You can find the stats. CCW permit holders are significantly less likely to commit a crime like shooting up a stranger over a squabble at a local movie theater.

You can find the stats. CCW permit holders are significantly less likely to commit a crime like shooting up a stranger over a squabble at a local movie theater.

Than people with no guns? ;)

Archived