THE BROWNS BOARD

D. Bowe Interview

Flugel

Today's instructions from my can of frozen orange juice read: CONCENTRATE. Lucky for you all that means no long winded posts from me because I ain't messin with that. Maybe my next can will tell me what acid reflux meds I need to take before I drinksies.

Here's a link of a post practice presser with Dwayne Bowe yesterday - you might want to go a little Linkin Park decibel on the volume:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Dwayne-Bowe-Full-Press-Conference---731/80216fd7-2c8d-4c2c-b50f-f96add3ca24b

Yes, hard to hear for sure, but he has some good things to say. He seems excited to be here and likes the energy in camp.

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the Browns, and I do think they have a great chance to contend for the AFC North right now.

Yes, hard to hear for sure, but he has some good things to say. He seems excited to be here and likes the energy in camp.

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the Browns, and I do think they have a great chance to contend for the AFC North right now.

I say it every year... We will only go as far as our QB takes us. Hoyer could get us to 7 wins... How far can McCown get? We'll soon find out... If he can A) protect the football, B) convert 3rd downs, and C) score a couple TDs each game then the rest of the team looks like they can easily be a playoff team...

I say it every year... We will only go as far as our QB takes us. Hoyer could get us to 7 wins... How far can McCown get? We'll soon find out... If he can A) protect the football, B) convert 3rd downs, and C) score a couple TDs each game then the rest of the team looks like they can easily be a playoff team...

Me too! I said it when Testaverde was supposed to power steer us into the head lamp of an oncoming train and all we got out of that was an 11-5 season and 1 playoff W. The reality from the gridiron chess table that was set around the QB said all we need from our passer was 16 TD passes to 18 INTs. Not exactly perfection; but more importantly not exactly preventing us from our last playoff win here or best regular season record since 1986 (a 29 year span).

I said it again when poor Charlie Frye was supposed to hold the fort down for the allegedly PRO READY Quinn. There might have been a couple aliens from Saturn joining our Oregon State alumnus (Lumberg) in predicting Derek Anderson would lead us to 10 wins before the 2007 season; but nobody actually predicted we'd get 29 TD passes from DA. The setting here in 2007 was the only time DA not only looked like a starter - but one that performed at a Pro Bowl alternate caliber. Eric Steinbach playing next to Joe Thomas was a gigantic upgrade of Kevin Shaffer playing next to Joe Andruzzi on the blind side. Meatball on spaghetti, was the pleasant surprise problem solve that Hank Fraley became to the loss of Bentley. He had been demoted for 2 years in Philly only to show us the old man could pull from his Center position and do it extremely well. That was HUGE. We were a well balanced offense that also revived a RB Baltimore deemed damaged goods (Lewis). Meanwhile, these were our red zone targets (Joe J 6'5", Braylon Edwards 6'3", and Kellen Winslow 6'4"). That was easily the most dialed in Braylon Edwards was in his entire career as a #3 overall pick with 16 or 17 TD receptions (2 years post surgery with something to prove).

Sometimes the way a gridiron chess table is set - can turn a mid round QB like Russell Wilson into something nobody saw coming. But MAN does it ever help to have a physical RB like Marshawn Lynch and an awesome defense like Seattle has to put that QB on the map. All I know about the difference between Chicago and Tampa Bay was the difference between a running game featuring Matt Forte vrs a 31st ranked running game sentencing a QB to 3rd and long behind suspect protection up front. We're not giving McCown Tampa Bay's gridiron chess table. We're giving him a better line than Chicago did back when he sported the highest passer ratings of his career (107+) and a TD to INT ratio of 14:1. The national Shakespeares don't have the first clue as to why there was such a big difference so they're not very useful to our discussions about the QB position IMO. Not only that, but if for some reason McCown finds a lot of 3rd and short scenarios to be overwhelming - this puts Manziel or another former SEC QB Connor Shaw (that once sported a TD:INT ratio of 24-1) in a scenario a lot of QBs would love to be in (3rd and short). The competition Farmer & Pettine set up (underneath all their politically correct statements not only makes the permanent starter's job tougher to attain - but it also puts gas on the fires inside the bellies of those competing for #2).

Good stuff about Bowe. Here is an article of interest regarding Hartlne that is good stuff. Our receiving corps is beyond deep.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079254/article/brian-hartline-more-than-a-deceptively-fast-dolphin

Unless you happen to be Brian Hartline's mother, there's no way you thought the Miami Dolphins wideout would be leading the NFL in receiving entering Week 6.

Darlington: Heart to HartlineMiami's Brian Hartline is the NFL's leading receiver. Jeff Darlington chronicles Hartline's painful path to glory. More ...

But that's exactly what's happened. Hartline has 514 receiving yards, one ahead of Denver's Demaryius Thomas, and is averaging 17.7 yards per catch. This is All-Pro-type production.

Hartline has piled up that yardage with his ability to get behind defenses, exactly the type of trait the Dolphins supposedly lost at the position when they traded Brandon Marshall to the Chicago Bears.

As it turns out, the fourth-year pro has serious speed.

"Shhh," he recently said, via The Palm Beach Post. "Thanks for ruining it."

You can guess where this is headed. Dolphins teammate Davone Bess was asked if Hartline's speed was overlooked because he's white.

"Yeah, man," he said. "Definitely."

"He can run," Bess added, echoing what Greg Jennings said about Green Bay Packers teammate Jordy Nelson last season. "That's good that they sleep on him, because come game time, he can open up on them."

Ryan Tannehill is throwing passes to Hartline, but the now-quarterback remembers being perceived as "deceptively fast" when he was a wide receiver for Texas A&M.

"I've had that label before, too," Tannehill said. "It's just kind of a stigma that comes with it."

While an outsider might be surprised by Hartline's speed, we can't imagine opponents don't see it when they study game tape. Black or white, the guy can play.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @danhanzus.

Concentrate? Man, go Simply Orange and never look back...

Also try Simply Lemonade to get you halfway to the best Shandy you can pour.

Archived