THE BROWNS BOARD

Is there someone to blame for the injuries?

Honestly, I have no idea what is going on across the league. I've been too busy to check on teams, I'm barely even keeping up with the Browns right now. But it seems like we're experiencing (like usual) a significant amount of injuries already. Granted, some may be overblown by the media, but there are a few concussions, knee injuries and hamstring issues that are really making me wonder if our strength and conditioning coaches are fucking up. Just like with Dallas a few years ago, an abundance of leg injuries normally points to poor stretching and warmups.

Does anyone have any information on this? Normally, I'd do a little more research before I post about something but, like I said, I just don't have the time right now.

Got 3 Names for you. Paul Recci Head of Strength & conditioning coach and Derik Keyes and Mike Wolf our his Assistants. Tia may be more help on the players side but most of this pulled and tweaked muscle stuff is usually poor eating and drinking habits or as simple as not taking stretching seriously. I would think these coaches would have any of his players on a healthy diet and healthy fluids 30 days prior to camp but who's to say the player may take his advise. Not many Veterans of this league have this problem, maybe some should follow their actions and learn it..

Got 3 Names for you. Paul Recci Head of Strength & conditioning coach and Derik Keyes and Mike Wolf our his Assistants. Tia may be more help on the players side but most of this pulled and tweaked muscle stuff is usually poor eating and drinking habits or as simple as not taking stretching seriously. I would think these coaches would have any of his players on a healthy diet and healthy fluids 30 days prior to camp but who's to say the player may take his advise. Not many Veterans of this league have this problem, maybe some should follow their actions and learn it..

Weight flux, Poor conditioning and stretching, poor fundamentals and footwork. Lack of situational awareness.

There's never just one reason for it.

Weight flux, Poor conditioning and stretching, poor fundamentals and footwork. Lack of situational awareness.

There's never just one reason for it.

Now, like I said before, I don't know any of the actual figures behind it...but it seems like we have this problem year in and year out.

Anomalies are anomalies and there are tons of variables, as you've said. But shouldn't someone look at the strength training regimen these guys are on? If they come in over weight, the trainers aren't doing their job. If these guys aren't warming up, same thing. If these guys aren't cooling down, same thing.

It seems like a lot of our problems lie in the strength and conditioning program, in my eyes. Maybe I'm just looking for someone to blame, but man am I tired of seeing guys with upside get hurt. There's at least two every year.

I don't know that you pin blame, but I do know these strength coaches build guys to have muscles as tight as piano wires.

If I was in charge of things, I would hire a yoga instructor as a full time coach. Any position player who requires fast burst running....backs, db's, and receivers as an example, I would have them in yoga class nearly as much as in the weight room.

Maybe the Browns could break the barrier and have the first full-time female coach in the league.

I don't know that you pin blame, but I do know these strength coaches build guys to have muscles as tight as piano wires.

If I was in charge of things, I would hire a yoga instructor as a full time coach. Any position player who requires fast burst running....backs, db's, and receivers as an example, I would have them in yoga class nearly as much as in the weight room.

Maybe the Browns could break the barrier and have the first full-time female coach in the league.

I've been thinking this for years. I'm not sure the human body is designed to take all this weight training and repetitive motion.

I've been thinking this for years. I'm not sure the human body is designed to take all this weight training and repetitive motion.

I have as well. Been harping the message a long time.

There comes a point where you are as big as you are going to get without causing harm. Somewhere in the mix, you have to consider flexibility. Some years back we had guys ripping up chest muscles and biceps. A clear indication you have people too jacked up if you also require them to move with any range of motion.

To decrease muscle injury, you need to increase range of motion.

First NFL Hot Female Yoga Coach (you on it Mik)? that beats cheerleaders any day.. interesting.. Come on boys grap your lava- lava we got yoga class..

I really don't think there's anyone to blame and it just how it goes in training camp. The ESPN's of the world also cling to anything so a guy who tweaks his hamstring turns into a much bigger deal than it is. Hell, Winn got carted off and is by all reports fine. I think all NFL clubs face this type of stuff in formal training camp but obviously we are just more on top of Browns news.

There comes a point where you are as big as you are going to get without causing harm. Somewhere in the mix, you have to consider flexibility. Some years back we had guys ripping up chest muscles and biceps. A clear indication you have people too jacked up if you also require them to move with any range of motion.

I think you guys are on to something. Stands to reason in the offseason these guys are lifting and running, so getting strength and conditioning, but during the season there are multiple occasions where they have to apply that strength and conditioning towards feats of contortionism.

Applying force while bending your body in all kindsa fucked up ways because other guys are doing the same thing to get around you. What substitute is there for that in a weight room?

I think these guys should fight ninjas in the offseason. Yeah. Ninjas.

Now that I'm not at work, I'd like to highlight this part.

There is no such thing as 'muscle confusion' - don't buy into that bullshit. However having varying exercises in dynamic movement and weight can really help keep you healthy when strength training.

example: I can't tell you how many people I see that don't know what a simple side squat is.

Weight training and conditioning increases flexibility if you put even one modicum of effort into stretching. Don't buy into what you read. Weights don't make you tight.

I will say this. I had a buddy play for Pitt. They share a building with the Steelers. The building is split down the middle. Pitt on one side. Steelers on the other. the structure is the same on either side. But the Pitt weight room is really nice and the Steelers one is a complete dump. College programs are investing a lot more into this stuff than pro teams are.

Anyone who thinks lifting doesn't increase flexibility simply doesn't understand proper Olympic lifting. Keep doing whatever you want, sure, but.. that assertion is simply objectively incorrect.

Bent-leg deadlift, clean+press, squat etc. when combined correctly will change your body - positively.

I think the injuries are simply due to physical stress of contact and dynamic movement.

the human body is just subject to these strains, sprains, tweaks, and far worse, tears and breaks.

As for some players getting them, and all sorts of players don't get them... I wonder if it's a

subconcious protection thing. That, and not all knees, for example, are as stable as other's knees.

and ankles.

Say, somebody should write to a well-respected strength and conditioning coach in the pros and ask them that question.

I think it's the fact that you're suddenly moving into 5-6 hours a day of practices plus still putting in workouts in the weight room and past college age, the body is not a fan of taking that much stress that suddenly.

For me, as a guy not THAT far removed from actually playing, I am more amazed that these guys go through 23 weeks of football (plus playoffs) and are still standing at the end of the year. I've also longed believe there would de pretty much nothing more miserable than having to play in the Pro Bowl after that long of a season.

Could the advent of of injuries in recent years have anything to do with changes in the way the league practices? It's hard to believe that the rash of hamstrings and knee injuries are due to players being out of shape.

I don't know the cause....or what can prevent these injuries.....I just want them to happen to other teams, not the Browns. We have had more than double our share of them over the years. Let the fucking Steelers and Ravens have their player break/tear/sprain/concuss etc. their shit. Not ours.

How did that happen? Suisham was an outstanding kicker. Heck....with the new extra point rules where they are no longer automatic, this could be important.

He blew out his knee on his plant leg.....done for the season(at least).....

Archived