THE BROWNS BOARD

From Columbus

DieHardBrownsFan

Check your NFL Network schedules. In N.C. Looks like now we only get 1 hour 6-7 cause Rich Eisen loves his NFL Total Access. Bite me Rich you Dawg Hater..

Check your NFL Network schedules. In N.C. Looks like now we only get 1 hour 6-7 cause Rich Eisen loves his NFL Total Access. Bite me Rich you Dawg Hater..

same here in ny BUT i doubt nfl network signed on to cover a browns scrimmage from start to finish. we're lucky to be getting coverage at all.

Please explain why it was a waste and exactly what were you expecting from a scrimmage that you didn't get.

Well first off they made it into some huge deal so I thought the atmosphere would be a little better. The traffic was awful because they decided to do it on a Friday. They didnt do anything, I guess, "special" drill wise. They didnt even wear the new jerseys. It was just....meh.

I'm watching the scrimmage now and will take anything they give us at this point.After two weeks of the NFL channel's love affair with Dallas it's a nice change to see the Orange and Brown in Columbus.

What a huge waste of time......

There certainly was not much entertainment value. Most of the 1s didn't even play much, if they did it was 2 series and that's all.

I can see camp injuries being a major component for them taking things easy tonight. McCown and Johnny IMO look better than the 2 qbs last year. Josh Lenz made some huge plays. That dude just gets open and snags the ball.

Shelton is quick for his size. Barnridge had a big touchdown. Hartline is a beast. Marlon Moore better make this team again. He's a stud

Well first off they made it into some huge deal so I thought the atmosphere would be a little better. The traffic was awful because they decided to do it on a Friday. They didn't do anything, I guess, "special" drill wise. They didn't even wear the new jerseys. It was just....meh.

LOL! Kind of thought that might be the case. A scrimmage is only a slightly improved version of a practice designed to minimize possible injuries while at least showing how a team is coming together, almost two contradictory goals in a sense. I only expect to see a very controlled football "game" where people pull their punches, not unlike professional wrestling. That being said it was nice to see what both JM's and Shaw were doing to improve that position as well as newcomers on D like Orchard and Shelton. If it were within a couple of hours drive I might have attempted it as I sometimes do for the A&M spring game (they did not have one this year because Kyle Field was under major renovation). But I never expect more than game simulation and certainly not the unveiling of new jerseys. That's almost always opening day.

Ok....the scrimmage was, well, a scrimmage......nice to see some padded D's against the O's......

Quick notes......

1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....looked WAY more comfortable and confident than just a week ago.....best Ive seen from him yet...(and he stayed home and did his job)

2) Shelton.....heh heh heh......we're gonna like him......A LOT!

3) Orchard had a sack....set up by Shelton....a good start....

4) Marlon Moore dragged Gilbert 1/2 way down the field......like a sack of soggy potatoes.....

5) Josh Lenz caught my eye.....again......dood is a dark horse to make this team...Im tellin ya.....

6) Brain Hartline seems to finally be making waves.....grrrrreat!

7) Run D looked improved.....a coupla stuffs at the line....(and Robertson was looking strong)

8) Gary Barnidge is proving he's our best TE.....just ink him in and lets go.....

9) O line was ok with Seymour.......Mack "is" the difference.......

10) Bibbs....he and Johnson will add a dimension we haven't had......

No, this isn't Christopher Columbus telling the native American Indians he just discovered America. It's just 1 blowhard's dime store take from action witnessed by the NFL Channel during one of their rare breaks from the Cowboys, Patriots and Seahawks camps. Breaking news: Tom Brady ate food and digested it like a human yesterday.

Some things that looked exciting and interesting in between the beers:

Ryan Seymour-Reps looked pretty good at Center considering who he was going up against. He didn't exactly get ragdolled while our pass protection looked good. There's room for improvement though when we try to run inside; but that also pertained to the OG position as well. As our staff tries to pinpoint whether they want to keep 7 or 8 Olinemen - his job is to convince them he's worthy of being #8.

Johnny Manziel looked like he's been a student of the game. While the game looked like it is slowing down for him - knowing where he has to go with the football and how quickly to do it enabled us/teammates to see some good accuracy. I liked the arm strength I saw from him and so did Mayock and Wilcots.

Lenz was every bit as impressive as I heard he was from those here reporting it. I think he's the type of practice squad guy that can stick around. He runs good routes. He reminded me of Wayne Chrebet from Hofstra (which no longer has a football program today). He didn't show up as one of the bigger names on the roster but he gives you no other choice but to notice. Kind of like Gabriel did last year. Stay tuned...

Orchard would have had a sack thanks to 2 other defensive rookies providing the perfect leverage clamps that chased the QB right into his hands. Like all young OLBers, his biggest challenges will be in the short pass coverages.

Brian Hartline reminded a lot of our fans that liked him why they do so. Seemed very reliable.

Doogie Housler caught the ball when the QB looked to him. That said, whoever reported he's 220 lbs suddenly must have gotten their info from Tony Grossi or Jason Locksontolombardi.

Bibbs. Finally got to see this big bastard. How could you miss him? He's a freakin eclipse. I think he caught a TD pass and he looks like he can come in handy to help set the edge when/if necessary.

Xavier Cooper. He was active and looking good in his role. I think he provided the outside leverage when Shelton was chasing the QB his way to give Orchard the would-be sack. He did a lot of little things really well for a rookie already.

Danny Shelton. He looked as good as advertised especially when our offense tried to run inside. He also helped Orchard get what would have been a sack if they could hit the QB.

Dylan Wynn - Built very compact (like Scott Solomon) but he hustled and made some plays when he got his chance.

K'Wuan OnJuan Williams - Made a very beautiful pass breakup look as routine as he usually did it last year. His biggest issue is getting dinged up during games so we'll need to keep enough DBs for our next man up thing.

Travis Benjamin. I'm still swimming against the current that he makes this football team even though I need to stop predicting who we have to cut to make that happen. He's a vastly improved WR than can now run just about any route in the passing tree with GOOD hands. Like last year, he may not get a ton of action. However, when it's his turn - he'll make you remember how nice it is to have him around when we're erasing a huge deficit on a zone blitz defense (ie; TN). Experience gives a guy the wherewithall to bust an undisciplined zone blitz coverage zone and/orsit down in that open space when applicable. He aced that vrs TN. He also scored against Pittsburgh's zone blitz scheme if anyone watched the 2014 season in review. IMO, that's an example of why it is advantageous to keep a guy you've invested time in training particularly in the AFC North with zone coverage disguises that have confused a lot of our young WRs & QBs over the years. Above all, it's 2 years post surgery so I'm betting he's right back to being the first impression Pettine had of him when his punt return for a TD vrs Buffalo in 2013 helped us win a close game despite who we had playing QB. If I got this wrong, it's just another episode of your buddy Flugel needing summer school.

Connor Shaw. I've been saying this since we landed him as an undrafted FA - he's a keeper. You can tell he's a student of the game. He knows where to go and how fast to get it there. He's also got deceptive speed should he need to tap into that. FWIW, it's great for Manziel to have a teammate like this so he can see how much the preparation at the QB matters at this level.

The thing to keep in mind here is it is only 1 practice/scrimmage so I don't have a lot of reps to go on here. If you saw others or disagreed with any thing I reported - don't hold it hostage. Run it!

A. I ***love*** the addition of Orchard, Cooper and Shelton to the defense.

This defense is going to kick ass.

B. I liked Cone, and Mud really liked Lenz. They waived Cone. Kudos to Mud ! lol

C. So much talent at every position, all those tough decisions.

D. I sprayed the garden, took a bit over an hour, ready to have a late breakfast.

Came in, sat down here, and then...

"Ryan Seymour-Reps". And for two whole stupidass embarrassing seconds,,, I was wondering

who the hell "Ryan Seymour-Reps" was. And the third second I remembered it was you, Flugels.

Dammit, LOL, now I have to go have some coffee.

I'm with you on Benji, would like for them to find a way to keep him. If he doesn't make the cut though l won't shit my pants. I mean, l might shit my pants, but not because of that.

I won't lose any sleep about anyone we cut inclusive of Benjamin. If we're cutting guys that have improved their WR skills as much as he did in 2014 - it means this has become a much stronger position than it has been.

My orientation/intrigue with him in particular is when we draft a mid-late round guy - there's a bang for the buck investment made on coaching him up into a needed keeper status. Our margin of error in that TN comeback shrunk all the way down to 1 mistake/dropped pass in the clutch meant game over - no epic comeback story. Guess what? He went carpet diem on it with an out route on the sidelines to move the changes and 2 TD receptions exploiting the zone blitz that his experience in the AFC North trained him to be ready for when given the moment. He averaged 17.4 yards per catch which reminds us of what his foot speed can accomplish as we await even a stronger arm at QB in 2015.

These players are all working so hard that we, as Fans, will have to watch some of our favorites go. While that may seem unfortunate, it speaks well of depth, talent, & coaching.

These guys seem to be pushing all the right buttons so far, so let's see what happens by final cut time. I expect to see effort in the final exhibition game like I have not seen in many years, if ever. It just seems that someone else steps up every practice. Fun stuff!

Mike

I think the thing that disappointed me in the broadcast was a lack of crispness. Hear so much about how modern camps strive to pack as much as they can into the limited time they have and how organized the Berea practices look.

I'm sure it's unreasonable to think a scrimmage could be as fast paced, but c'mon...

1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....

5) Josh Lenz caught my eye

10) Bibbs...

Agree... JM's mechanics continue to look solid... same as in OTAs.

I'm still amazed that Shelton was there at 12.

Lenz may just mess up a bunch of our WR prognostications.

Seymour looked considerably "bulkier" than I remember.

Appears Bibbs has a very nice pair of hands.

Looked like Gilbert hurt his left shoulder after an end zone pass defense. Any word?

EDIT: Per DawgsbyNature report it was his hand and he's fine.

Only exuberance I can't share is JM's read progress. Not having a 22 view, I can't draw that conclusion. The one instance where I can infer reads from head movement was when he scrambled left and then threw across his body to Bibbs IIRC.

Great point on Travis... the '14 highlight reel reminded me of how good of a WR he'd become since his rookie year when all Norv apparently thought he was only good for go routes.

Only exuberance I can't share is JM's read progress. Not having a 22 view, I can't draw that conclusion. The one instance where I can infer reads from head movement was when he scrambled left and then threw across his body to Bibbs IIRC.

Great point on Travis... the '14 highlight reel reminded me of how good of a WR he'd become since his rookie year when all Norv apparently thought he was only good for go routes.

Thanks Tour! Sometimes we can't get past out first impressions of a player; and I think this is the case with some of Benjamin's critics. He's not that guy confined to go routes, drags our banana routes any more. He's an experienced player who can change direction if given the chance as we saw in that '14 highlight reel.

If our new OC wants to use a lot of motion to free up some of our smaller/skinnier framed WRs outside - I can see both Gabriel and Benjamin improving on their 17.3 and 17.4 yards per catch.

I was impressed with Lenz as well with the exception of one long throw by JM that he slowed up for only to have it then sail over his head. However, JM forgave him as soon as he was back in the huddle with a fist to fist bump. Good to see he went right back to him shortly thereafter for another completion.

The day before the scrimmage, I listened to Pettine say it was good for Manziel to feel some success at practice from all the studying and time he was putting into learning the offense. He also said he was glad teammates saw that too.

Right on queue, the same QB showed up to the scrimmage. I enjoyed hearing Farmer speak on the difference in Manziel this year at the scrimmage with Mayock and Wilcots.

Good point Ag. Announcers made a point of acknowledging that the ball was very catchable had Lenz not slowed up...

The question becomes which receivers do we keep and who goes? I'm loving what I hear about Pryor... Lenz looked good... Bowe . Hartline. Hawkins. Mayles. All keepers.

This may be in another thread, but for a change, it seems like we have a plethora of good WRs. I was impressed yesterday.

Flugel, Your NFL Network is spot on. Look back at the Orchard sack and watch Shelton the whole play. Closest thing to Seymour ragdolled and a good bet why not to risk Mack.. Enjoy, both the reason why we got them..

This conversation has me fired up. I don't even know what a banana route is, but l remember that line from Beverly Hills Cop. You got a banana in your tail pipe?

But Flugel, to your point about a guy staying in the system and the team and player investing in each other, hell to the yeah.

I also love rooting for the underdogs. Lenz could be the next Gabe. Who wouldn't dig the hell outta that? Guys see that shit in practice. Some no name making every play he's suppsed to make, and doesn't make the team? Unless there's a higher drafted guy doing the same, the other player's are gonna question it.

It maintains the competitive atmosphere. Do or die. For every Gabe and Gipson there is that knocks out some drafted guy for a job, it lets them all know that nothing is granted, it must be earned.

Ok....the scrimmage was, well, a scrimmage......nice to see some padded D's against the O's......

Quick notes......

1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....looked WAY more comfortable and confident than just a week ago.....best Ive seen from him yet...(and he stayed home and did his job)

3) Orchard had a sack....set up by Shelton....a good start....

4) Marlon Moore dragged Gilbert 1/2 way down the field......like a sack of soggy potatoes.....

5) Josh Lenz caught my eye.....again......dood is a dark horse to make this team...Im tellin ya.....

6) Brain Hartline seems to finally be making waves.....grrrrreat!

7) Run D looked improved.....a coupla stuffs at the line....(and Robertson was looking strong)

8) Gary Barnidge is proving he's our best TE.....just ink him in and lets go.....

10) Bibbs....he and Johnson will add a dimension we haven't had......

3.That was the best sample of 2 guys doing what we need on d and doing their job.

4. Till Shelton knotted some sense into both of them. (40 time my azz)

9.No way risk Mack with Shelton. great coaching and no Cam either?

Archived