THE BROWNS BOARD

Good riddance Jon Stewart

StinkHole

Actually I don't think that the sciences mathematics and engineering are necessarily creative avenues. So again your point?

And are you trying to draw a comparison between upbringing and ideology?

WSS

The best phycisists and mathematicians are extremely creative people. Making an exaggerated point here, but do you think someone brought up on the notion that the earth was flat and the sky was some kind of heavenly mural beckoning us onward, would have made the intuitive leaps that have brought us to where we are now in our understanding of the universe?

Actually if you think about it for a minute, and I don't have any facts and figures just a hunch, but in general do you think conservative kids are more likely to go into fields like medicine mathematics science Engineering etc? And liberal kids might be more drawn to say, Theater, English literature, creative writing, art history? Just a guess.

WSS

Well, I can only speak to my experience here. Among scientists, mathematicians and engineers (STEM basically), I don't think there is much political talk at all. There are more important things to be worried about. In my time going to school with these types of people, working with these types of people, most of my friends being these types of people, and being one myself, I can tell you politics never really comes up. At no point is it "lets go to the pro life / pro choice rally!" No one gives a shit about student govt either. You barely needed any votes to get elected to the engineering student board. Politics isn't that important of a topic.

This is probably also tied to the younger generations disdain for politics in general, but it is even less important, from what I've seen, in these STEM majors.

It is also important to distinguish between social conservatism and financial / other conservatism too. As far as social conservatism goes, a lot of those principles can have a religious backbone. The education you've received, the less likely you are to be religious. That isn't supporting your case for STEM embracing conservatism. Then on topics like Climate Change... Well... Yeah.

Financial matters are different.

You just seem to go straight to "hippie tree hugger, stereotypical college liberal" for some reason. Which is why you'd imagine their college opposite, STEM majors, would be conservative

More anecdotal evidence here, but I was raised in a home that wasn't political. We stopped going to church after a while too. I was never really told how to think one way or another. And we all know (for the most part) my views.

I would wager to bet a higher percentage of young conservatives are the result of their parents influence than young liberals. And again, I'm talking mostly social policy.

I would bet, anecdotally, that an astronomically higher proportion of liberals become conservative than conservatives become liberal later in life.

Ideas that were once liberal, become common place or conservative. New ideas take that place as liberal. Again, I'm talking social.

For example, it is "liberal" to want gay marriage legalized. The majority of my generation have this now liberal view. As we get older, we aren't going to all of a sudden say gays shouldn't get married. We're going to keep these beliefs, and they'll become common place.

Compare it to interracial marriage or women voting. At one point these were liberal views. If you look around today though, the vast majority of people share the belief that they're ok.

Get it?

Financially is a little different. Not every young adult has the same experience with money. Not all ate as versed in it. As they get older though, they will be. Plus, the longer you pay taxes, the more you lose to taxes, thr easier it is to say less taxes.

Actually I don't think that the sciences mathematics and engineering are necessarily creative avenues. So again your point? Steve

More liberal diversion from subject by Cleve and Woody.

Cleve says they are creative, because scientists are curious about

the nature of earth being flat or not.

And Woody feels that scientists are not very political at all.

Meanwhile, the subject was mathematical and engineering sciences being creative avenues.

Smart enough to know all sorts of words, though, not able to keep to a simple subject.

Just random emotional knee jerky.

The best phycisists and mathematicians are extremely creative people. Making an exaggerated point here, but do you think someone brought up on the notion that the earth was flat and the sky was some kind of heavenly mural beckoning us onward, would have made the intuitive leaps that have brought us to where we are now in our understanding of the universe?

I will assume there is a creative streak in the top 1 or 2 percent of any skilled field. More likely to be found across the board jn theater music and literature.

WSS

Actually I don't think that the sciences mathematics and engineering are necessarily creative avenues. So again your point?

And are you trying to draw a comparison between upbringing and ideology?

WSS

Creativity doesn't have to be painting a pretty picture or writing a catchy song. Creativity exists outside of the Fine Arts

Engineers are given a problem and a set of constraints. It is then on you (and/or your team) to find a solution. There is a lot of creativity involved in this process. I'm not sure how you could not see the creativity involved in these areas.

There are artists that do nothing but paint the same picture a dozen times a day and make a good living selling them to the starving artist sales.

WSS

...ok? And?

The point was you trying to say STEM wasn't a creative field. I disagree with that.

I believe Steve is thinking its all equations and number crunching. That is just the format (in a sense) of some engineering courses like Heat Transfer or Fluid Dynamics (excluding labs).

These courses just give the base of knowledge to solve the problems I talked about earlier. There is obviously some variation among different positions, but it is the same idea.

Creativity is used to solve these problems. It could take a knowledge of Fluid Dynamics and a level of creativity to design some new product, or solve a manufacturing issue, etc.

Either way, there is creativity involved.

Archived