THE BROWNS BOARD

Crow called out by coach

Kvoethe

Browns RB coach calls out Isaiah Crowell for not seizing starting job

Aug 9 2015, 4:28 PMJoe Thomson

Cleveland Browns running back Isaiah Crowell is penciled in as the team's starting tailback, taking first-team reps in practice and benefiting from injuries to backups Duke Johnson and Terrance West.

But position coach Wilbert Montgomery doesn't think Crowell is taking full advantage of the opportunity, and he's disappointed in the lack of ambition he sees from his players.

"How can you play and not want to be a starter?" Montgomery said Sunday, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. "It just bothers me that guys don't want to be the lead bell-cow guy. This game gives you so much. I always talk to them about what this game gives you as a young person, but what it does for them in life and to their families. So if you want to be a backup, then be a backup. But I mean you're going to get replaced. At some point, you've got to be a starter if you want to hang around."

Specifically addressing Crowell, Montgomery went on to say that he's not guaranteed the lead-back role by default, emphatically denying that simply staying healthy gives players the inside track.

"No, it doesn't mean that, because he's got to show me that he's hungry," Montgomery said. "And (what) I mean by hungry, if you want to be a starter, you practice like a starter and you do the things that you'd want. You take care of your body. You show up and do the things that are going to keep you healthy, get treatment after practice, hydrate, do all the little things you have to do in order to be that guy."

Position coaches rarely question a player's drive and commitment in such a public forum, and this could signal that if the rookie Johnson can get healthy, Crowell could be usurped as the starter. The more likely scenario is a three-way split throughout the season.

Browns RB coach calls out Isaiah Crowell for not seizing starting job

Aug 9 2015, 4:28 PMJoe Thomson

Cleveland Browns running back Isaiah Crowell is penciled in as the team's starting tailback, taking first-team reps in practice and benefiting from injuries to backups Duke Johnson and Terrance West.

But position coach Wilbert Montgomery doesn't think Crowell is taking full advantage of the opportunity, and he's disappointed in the lack of ambition he sees from his players.

"How can you play and not want to be a starter?" Montgomery said Sunday, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. "It just bothers me that guys don't want to be the lead bell-cow guy. This game gives you so much. I always talk to them about what this game gives you as a young person, but what it does for them in life and to their families. So if you want to be a backup, then be a backup. But I mean you're going to get replaced. At some point, you've got to be a starter if you want to hang around."

Specifically addressing Crowell, Montgomery went on to say that he's not guaranteed the lead-back role by default, emphatically denying that simply staying healthy gives players the inside track.

"No, it doesn't mean that, because he's got to show me that he's hungry," Montgomery said. "And (what) I mean by hungry, if you want to be a starter, you practice like a starter and you do the things that you'd want. You take care of your body. You show up and do the things that are going to keep you healthy, get treatment after practice, hydrate, do all the little things you have to do in order to be that guy."

Position coaches rarely question a player's drive and commitment in such a public forum, and this could signal that if the rookie Johnson can get healthy, Crowell could be usurped as the starter. The more likely scenario is a three-way split throughout the season.

I don't know if this applies here, but football coaches can be some of the dumbest people around. Sorry if anyone here takes offense to that. But that's what I've noticed. That's why the smart ones rise to the top pretty quickly. Literally think of any coach, NFL or college, and ask yourself "what's this guy's intelligence level?" and it probably correlates directly with his success. Best college coaches: Saban, Holtz, Meyer, Paterno, etc. Brilliant guys.

Fortunately Pettine seems like a very cerebral individual.

They must really be stinking it up behind the scenes for Montgomery to blast them like that............ Hopefully his message is received by one of these dudes.

good for montgomery. sometimes the biggest motivator is to open the blinds to show the world how unspectacular one's performance is. you want a RB that is going full-speed every play. although i like crowell (minus the fumbles) i just don't see the attack mentality on every down.

we haven't had a RB like that in years.

I don't know if this applies here, but football coaches can be some of the dumbest people around. Sorry if anyone here takes offense to that. But that's what I've noticed. That's why the smart ones rise to the top pretty quickly. Literally think of any coach, NFL or college, and ask yourself "what's this guy's intelligence level?" and it probably correlates directly with his success. Best college coaches: Saban, Holtz, Meyer, Paterno, etc. Brilliant guys.

Fortunately Pettine seems like a very cerebral individual.

not to specifically call you out, but fan boi internet posters are THE stupidest around, think they are smarter than the people who actually hold a coaching job. You assume so much in your posts that it's hard to not see your very close to those who have their heads up their asses and smell roses.

Agree... was addressed to the group as a whole with a little added emphasis on the lead Dawg to raise the level of competition.

Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Agree... was addressed to the group as a whole

I agree......and, from what Im hearing, West and Duke Johnson are the 2 who need the most pushing....

Been yapping on the radio about West today....saying he had what looked like a small hissy fit yesterday about padding up and practicing....and followed by bad body language when force to .....

not to specifically call you out, but fan boi internet posters are THE stupidest around, think they are smarter than the people who actually hold a coaching job. You assume so much in your posts that it's hard to not see your very close to those who have their heads up their asses and smell roses.

Lots of educated fans are smarter than lots of football coaches.

I agree......and, from what Im hearing, West and Duke Johnson are the 2 who need the most pushing....

Been yapping on the radio about West today....saying he had what looked like a small hissy fit yesterday about padding up and practicing....and followed by bad body language when force to .....

If he don't want to practice get rid of him.

i just don't see the attack mentality on every down.

we haven't had a RB like that in years.

idk about that, Just 5 years ago Hillis hit the hole like he was never gonna get the ball again. He was the first Cleveland Browns running back to be named AFC Offensive Player of the Week since Eric Metcalf in 1992

idk about that, Just 5 years ago Hillis hit the hole like he was never gonna get the ball again. He was the first Cleveland Browns running back to be named AFC Offensive Player of the Week since Eric Metcalf in 1992

and i was gonna bring up metcalf....as small as he was. at least he had heart.

hillis was the only thing good offensively about that team that year so a lot of praise gets heaped on him for that, meanwhile he did diddly squat after 2010. he was playing for his pay day.

from what I seen Friday good for Montgomery and good maybe for a better Run Defense that looks a hell of a lot better on 1's and 2's. their i'll say it for now. Shelton looked unmoveable and others followed. Thursday will be a good thing to see with no Red Jersey on QB's and RG3 and others. Get your stop watch's ready to time Shelton's 40 time to QB.

Lots of educated fans are smarter than lots of football coaches.

They may be smarter, but they are not more qualified to be football coaches.

Wilbert Montgomery, for example, has been an NFL running backs coach for 18 years, been on the staff of three Super Bow teams, and coached up the likes of Marshall Faulk, Steven Jackson and Ray Rice, so I think he knows a starting RB when he sees ones, and how to motivate NFL players.

There's not too many dummy football coaches at the NFL level, they know their shit.

Zombo

No, they're critiquing from behind a keyboard because they were able to get jobs that didn't require 80 hour weeks for 6 months of the year for low 6 figure salaries.

And yeah, they know football. More than most fans. But some fans think their coaches are beyond reproach and I can't stand that.

I love what Montgomery did. Challenge their manhood and pride, and get them to play better than they think they can........... That's what any good coach does, at any level, in any sport.

Crow will get his 1000 yards this year. Coach Montgomery knows what he is doing, kinda like child psychology. West is the dude who I just dont think has his heart in it, he wants to be with the Ravens. Raised around that town and went to Townsen. I really wished we could get a 5th for him and just call it what it is and have Duke and Draughn in the back field.

Crow will get his 1000 yards this year. Coach Montgomery knows what he is doing, kinda like child psychology. West is the dude who I just dont think has his heart in it, he wants to be with the Ravens. Raised around that town and went to Townsen. I really wished we could get a 5th for him and just call it what it is and have Duke and Draughn in the back field.

Im with you.....thinking it's Crows job if he wants it......

Although I do understand RB by committee and the concept of having 2 guys who can do the job.....I think QB's and RB's need lots of reps to get a rhythm and rotating them is counter productive......would just love to see Crow get 20-25 a few times......I say he rips it up!

Perhaps not coaches, but I'd be happy to say some of the more educated fans would make fine scouts for their respective teams.

I agree. Means a lot coming from you. Weren't you a coach?

Coaching is about brains (insofar as their rarity makes those that have it rise to the top quickly) and connections. Take a smart guy who has vision but maybe isn't an Xs and Os mad scientist per se (Mack Brown comes to mind) and he is more likely to succeed than your Will Muschamp, Ed Orgeron types. Sorry for all the college references. Just know the landscape better.

Im with you.....thinking it's Crows job if he wants it......

Although I do understand RB by committee and the concept of having 2 guys who can do the job.....I think QB's and RB's need lots of reps to get a rhythm and rotating them is counter productive......would just love to see Crow get 20-25 a few times......I say he rips it up!

I agree. Animal.

I do wonder about Cambridge's theory on West though. I sure never could play for the Ravens and I'm not even close to being a born and raised in Cleveland thoroughbred from day 1, immersed in Browns all my life-type of fan like West. I kinda feel for him and I agree we should shop him.

Id say that coaches are just like everything else.....there isnt any one attribute that makes them great.....

Some are great because they have brilliant football minds and excell at the X's and O's....

Some are great because they are great motivators and find a way to get players to excel...

Some are great because they have an uncanny eye for talent and seem to put the right guys in the right positions to succeed...

With College, some of the greatest simply had the right mix of charisma and leadership to become top recruiters and attract the best talent....

So....debate away.....but there are all types of super successful coaches with varying levels of X and O intelligence

I agree. Means a lot coming from you. Weren't you a coach?

Coaching is about brains (insofar as their rarity makes those that have it rise to the top quickly) and connections. Take a smart guy who has vision but maybe isn't an Xs and Os mad scientist per se (Mack Brown comes to mind) and he is more likely to succeed than your Will Muschamp, Ed Orgeron types. Sorry for all the college references. Just know the landscape better.

My coaching time has been limited to younger kids and jr/sr high school as an assistant. As for what it takes? There truly is no formula that guarantee's a good/successful coach.

If there are any traits that all (should) share they would be passion, leadership, accountability... These are the things you first hear players describe about coaches they admire.

Archived