THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillary turns over blank server to FBI

StinkHole

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunate that I have to repeat myself but I said not just Obama voters which would be Democrats. Global warming is not in the top 3 even in the poll that Chris posted its next to last. The one that the former Stuartt posted is more in line. And once more how Chris feels about the issue is meaningless to a conversation about Al Gore running for president of the United States. Mainly because Chris doesn't get to vote here. Yet. I hope that's clear?

WSS

Unfortunate that I have to repeat myself but I said not just Obama voters which would be Democrats. Global warming is not in the top 3 even in the poll that Chris posted its next to last. The one that the former Stuartt posted is more in line. And once more how Chris feels about the issue is meaningless to a conversation about Al Gore running for president of the United States. Mainly because Chris doesn't get to vote here. Yet. I hope that's clear?

WSS

Check again? Among democrats it's number three:

BN-IG096_Priori_G_20150504220624.jpg

Among republicans it's last. At a rough guess from the levels you have, for dems:

37% - Job creation

17% - Health care

15% - Climate change

12% - National security

09% - Deficit

04% - Immigration

02% - Religious & moral values

For goppers:

27% - National security

24% - Deficit

21% - Job creation

12% - Religious & moral values

08% - Immigration

04% - Health care

01% - Climate change

Furthermore Chris, and no disrespect intended, my other point was that even American Democrats would be hard pressed to make drastic changes to their lifestyles to address a problem they apparently care more about than me. Your lifestyle, sir, has no bearing on ours.

For us a steep increase in the price of goods that need to be made using fossil fuel energy would be unacceptable as would hey doubling or tripling of gasoline prices.

WSS

To clear up any confusion here, Cleve posted this:

can't paste it but I just googled democratic voters and polls on global warming, and it is as I said with them. It's easily in their top 3

I suggested he meant this one:

It's obviously not in the top 3 for all voters, I can read a graph as well as any.

Furthermore Chris, and no disrespect intended, my other point was that even American Democrats would be hard pressed to make drastic changes to their lifestyles to address a problem they apparently care more about than me. Your lifestyle, sir, has no bearing on ours.

For us a steep increase in the price of goods that need to be made using fossil fuel energy would be unacceptable as would hey doubling or tripling of gasoline prices.

WSS

Why? The only unique challenge would be transport - being so sparsely populated means public transport isn't necessarily an efficient solution, I get that. That sucks, btw. Australia would also have that problem, FWIW, and they're about the only other developed country dragging its heels to the same degree on this issue.

And good for them. Personally I regularly drive 100 miles round trip to local gigs, from my home to the ferry boat at Put in Bay is a little over 100 miles each way. I don't know of anyone takes public transportation to go to work from the suburbs to Akron Ohio or Cleveland. Maybe there are some. I assume you folks already have crushing petrol prices and are used to it. We aren't and have a different lifestyle.

WSS

Yep, things are a lot closer over here, so people don't have to go as far. If anyone commutes more than about 20 miles, they'll probably go by train, if at all possible. Plus, with 70 million people in a space the size of Ohio, the roads do tend to be quite busy generally.

As for electronics, when the latest iPad came out, it was cheaper to fly to new york and buy one than buy it in london. So yeah, we also have that.

And good for them. Personally I regularly drive 100 miles round trip to local gigs, from my home to the ferry boat at Put in Bay is a little over 100 miles each way. I don't know of anyone takes public transportation to go to work from the suburbs to Akron Ohio or Cleveland. Maybe there are some. I assume you folks already have crushing petrol prices and are used to it. We aren't and have a different lifestyle.

WSS

When I worked in DC I had to take the Metro. There was no parking, except 25 dollar per day or more, plus the traffic was horrible. We did get extra money each month for transportation. Didn't start work until 0900, but had to leave about 0600 to avoid the extremely heavy traffic. Park at the Vienna Metro Station garage, take the metro in, and get to work about 1.5 hours early. Got off at 1700, usually arrived home around 1900. It sucked big time.

Yep, things are a lot closer over here, so people don't have to go as far. If anyone commutes more than about 20 miles, they'll probably go by train, if at all possible. Plus, with 70 million people in a space the size of Ohio, the roads do tend to be quite busy generally.

As for electronics, when the latest iPad came out, it was cheaper to fly to new york and buy one than buy it in london. So yeah, we also have that.

If there were a viable train I'd take it. God knows we have enough rails in ohio.

It's not great over here, but it's about the same wherever I've seen in europe - around £1.15/litre, which I think works out around $6-7 per gallon.

So nearly three times as much as here. And we drive a lot more just because of the size of the country as you mentioned.

But you should understand that's one reason we like it here. Yes it's worse in other places around the world and we are happy to be better off than those places.

WSS

If there were a viable train I'd take it. God knows we have enough rails in ohio.

I was curious so I have a look to see how long it would take to get from various places to cleveland by car and by train. Not good...

Akron - 1 hour (car);3 hours (train)

Canton - 1:10; 1:40;

Columbus - 2:15; 11;

Toledo - 2; 2; - pleasantly surprising!

Youngstown - 1:30; no public transport available?

Strongsville - 0:40; 1:15

So somewhere between 50%-200% longer generally. That's not factoring in the amount of time to get to and from the station every day, which could easily be another 30 minutes. And seriously - to get to the state capital takes 11 hours? I'm sure google maps is missing something, no?

So would I! If there was decent convenient public transportation I'd much rather hop on a bus and maybe a quick taxi ride to the bars.

WSS

And maybe be able to have a drink afterwards with your now-panty-less fans ;)

And maybe be able to have a drink afterwards with your now-panty-less fans ;)

Sure. And seriously when I used to play in Key West I mostly took public transportation everyday. There is a big parking deck and from there with your parking ticket you could get on a bus that constantly circled through the city, get off get back on where you pleased.

Still something like that is optimized for city use and would be much less convenient if I wanted to go to a variety of towns within 30 or 40 miles of home.

But even then I think it would be great for every town to have a loop bus like that.

WSS

Archived