THE BROWNS BOARD

Preseason game one

The Cysko Kid

I know it was the first preseason game. Anyone have any opinions on what we saw? I was optimistic after seeing mccown play. He's got poise and he moved well in the pocket and on the one occasion we saw him flushed he kept his head and found the open man for the td. Good job out of mccown. Manziel also played alright and managed to score. Still not seeing too much out of him but it was clear seeing mccowns reaction to him on the sidelines that josh is a much better mentor for him than hoyer was or could have been. The defense was a bit more concerning to me. The run defense didn't look very good and yes I know it was game one of the preseason. Shelton looked ok. Gilbert has got to tighten up. If not for a horrible drop from garcon (I think) he would have been totally burned for a td on the skins first drive. I'm glad we got away with no injuries.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was concerned by our run game (or lack thereof), our run D (or lack thereof), and Gilbert. Bademosi also took a bit of a beating, but given he's about our #7 CB at best (possibly also losing out to Gaines, Ife next year and the UDFA that showed up big in OTA), I'm not so concerned.

McCown looked solid, but at 6.6 yards per attempt a lot of our throws came on short routes, a theme that continued with Manziel. Good awareness shown by both at various times to escape pressure and good feet to follow through on the escape. Mccown obviously kept his eyes downfield for the TD, and Manziel seemed to do that also.

Nice run by Manziel for the score - not bolting at any sign of pressure, but seeing he could pick up easy yards, then just taking what the D gave him, which was a TD.

Apparently there were 'communication issues' from Flip to Manziel on a third down, where Manziel had to improvise a play call. I wonder if that's true, of if they just wanted to test his composure, knowledge of the playbook and decision making.

Special teams looked pretty good, especially compared to last year.

i didn't like our run D or O last night either BUT it is the first preseason game. 'coaches don't want to show you their cards' excuse is tiring for me. either you have it or you don't.

gilbert looked like a Retard dog. when he made a play he smiled and had his tongue sticking out. when he shit the bed he looked like he knew he was going to get beat. can't understand what is going on with that dude. smoking bath salts?

Gilbert needs to see a psychiatrist. He says, "except for letting Garcon free, the rest of the night was flawless by me"

Not too worried about the run game Thomas wasn't playing and it was the first game back for Mack. Hope they don't panic and sign Ray Rice.

Not bad overall.....

Several rookies showed why they were drafted.....Shelton and Cooper both had an impact on DL....Campbell looked very solid and can tackle.......Erving stepped into LT for the first time and held his own...Mayle had a couple catches(one was a nice catch on a contested ball).....and Pullard showed some run stop and tackling ability too......

A few new acquisitions also had nice games.....McCown, of course, looked just like we hoped he would......Andy Lee is gonna be a huge asset to this team(5 punts....zero returns.....4 inside the 20)(yowza!!)......Hartline looked good again(so I take it all back, he can stay).....

Ryan Seymour(and the rest of team 2 OL really) was rough.......run D? was also rough, tho the D line looked much improved......OLB's did not look good though(mainly Kruger and Orchard ).....Gilbert started bad, but ended up playing a solid game after the first coupla goofs......running game was not good, tho Ima blame most of it on the OL.....

So....in the end....I was encouraged to see so many rookies and new guys making plays......discouraged to see a porous run defense.....encouraged by McCown and the #1 offense......discouraged by the O line play......encouraged by the MLB's....discouraged by the OLB's.......

And so sorry to the skins for seriously breaking two players....those were some wicked ugly injuries.....but grateful they were Skins and not Browns......

I know it was the first preseason game. Anyone have any opinions on what we saw? I was optimistic after seeing mccown play. He's got poise and he moved well in the pocket and on the one occasion we saw him flushed he kept his head and found the open man for the td. Good job out of mccown. Manziel also played alright and managed to score. Still not seeing too much out of him but it was clear seeing mccowns reaction to him on the sidelines that josh is a much better mentor for him than hoyer was or could have been. The defense was a bit more concerning to me. The run defense didn't look very good and yes I know it was game one of the preseason. Shelton looked ok. Gilbert has got to tighten up. If not for a horrible drop from garcon (I think) he would have been totally burned for a td on the skins first drive. I'm glad we got away with no injuries.

I think you summed it up well. Our first team pass offense impressed me. We were playing some vanilla D, I saw some good things, but not much out of run D yet.

I think we finally nailed two first round draft picks (after 5 misses in three years??).

McCown to Hartline is going to be gold, I think our wideout situation will be fine. Bibbs the TE looks like a strong prospect ... might end up with a big role, didn't see much out of Housler. Defensively i remember being impressed with Kirksey and Cooper, and not much else.

Special teams were impressive. Spears nailed his 47 yard FG with plenty of leg left and Lee was booming everything. They finally put Gilbert on KR. At least he won't get us killed playing there.

Z

The run game wasn't the best, but don't factor out the obvious here. The anchor of the line in Joe Thomas was not playing and IMO the best RB on the roster in Duke Johnson wasn't playing either. It wasn't "wow" but there's plenty of variables there.

Here's some in no order things I saw from the first half.

Pros:

-I honestly am shocked with how mobile McCown seems to be. That TD pass to Benji was nice all around from him. Definitely more optimistic about the dude than I was a month ago.

-Hartline is going to be a really nice add for the squad, just a good football player.

-Shelton already showing why he was the first round pick.

-Nice ST play on the strip fumble off a punt

-Bibbs will make this roster IMO. He had a nice catch and shed some blockers for more yards..

Our beloved JFF really looked like he has been working at it. For anyone who didn't see it, the running TD he had was WIDE, and I mean WIDE, open. I honestly would have been pissed if he didn't run in that situation. Additionally, I really liked at least one play how he handled the unblocked blitz. Stayed in the pocket and checked it down for a nice little play. Definitely encouraging.

Cons:

-Gilbert: The dude just looked like he didn't belong out there. The Redskins had a moon walk TD that was absolutely on Gilbert if he didn't drop it. He's slow out of this breaks, and the only "good" defense he had on a fade route was 10 yards out of bounds. If he keeps playing like that he can ride the pine all the way to selling used cars.

-Gotta work on some blitz pickups, but that'll come I think. Again, Thomas was out which is huge of course.

Overall, I didn't get that gut feeling of terrible like I did this time last year that's for sure.

Gilbert needs to see a psychiatrist. He says, "except for letting Garcon free, the rest of the night was flawless by me"

That was my take too.....played a great game after the Garcon snafu(which was a miscommunication w/Gipson)....so, there's hope......

That was my take too.....played a great game after the Garcon snafu(which was a miscommunication w/Gipson)....so, there's hope......

He was poor on the reception by Grant - just put his hand on him instead of properly tackling

The uniforms looked ok too although I didn't care for the orange numbers on the white jersy

The helmets were cool. Kinda muted and not as orangey/red as I was expecting. Want one.

Zombo

I guess we saw two different things out there cause I didn't see that.. I thought he was late on breaks consistently and the fade routes he "defended" were terrible throws. I mean I hope I'm wrong but I just didn't see great game at all, I'm curious what you did see though that maybe I didn't.

I will say he did look good on the KR, but that's not quite why we drafted him 9th.

My random scrambled thought about the game :

McCown was better than I thought he would be, and even though he scored the TD I thought he should of threw the ball away with as much pressure as was on top of him.

The Defense apparently still hasn't read the memo about stopping the Run, and the D overall had lapses and wasn't overly impressive.

Shelton has potential.

Gilbert looked totally lost early, but started to play better later on.

Cooper needs some more reps, but he looks like he could be a player.

Pullaird (?) looks like a keeper at LB.

Our OL depth is worse than I thought, which reflected on the QB play as the game progressed - Thad Lewis is not as bad as he looked last night.

Shaw has a better arm than I thought - it showed on that over thrown to the double covered WR.

Our Rushing game needs some work.

Lot of players out with injury - Haden, Mack, new guys.

Washington injuries - OUCH

Pettine didn't look too happy with the Team second Half.

It's Preseason, and it doesn't mean much, but it's evident there's quite a bit of work to do on both sides of the ball.

I'm going to watch it a second time, maybe this evening. The defense is kickass up the middle - they kept

running around the middle...

I'm really intrigued with Xavier Cooper, with a sack, and Danny Shelton. Shelton is a guy who is going to worry

offenses every play. He runs down ball carriers at the los wide, was double teamed and still collapsed the pocket,

I'm intrigued with Nate Orchard, who got into the backfield, but didn't get to make a big splash.

Bademosi sp? had some hitches in the game, but he's a good player. Gilbert... he was out of position a few times

where you wonder where his head it at. Las Vegas? And once, he was looking into the backfield, guessed wrong,

and his flat-footedness let the wr make him look like he never played at cb before. That is very bad.

No joke - I wonder if Gilbert is attention deficit. He seems to be distracted...or just really doesn't love the game. I don't know.

There were a few missed assignments on coverage, I don't care - it's only the first exhibition game. don't care at all.

It's just a tune up to start playing for real in a few more games. No injuries. Looked like the Redskins were playing all out,

going for the win - when it doesn't matter, and look at their two critical injuries. It's too early for all that.

And the run defense - it will come. Just some adjustments to the lb play. But the dline is going to be unstoppable.

And the secondary is going to be great, which means Gilbert will not start. Gaines looks like he's going to take someone's place

on the active roster. He plays a lot more intensely and smarter than gilbert. I'd actually trade Gilbert for a high pick, maybe.

The wr's are going to rock. Hartline is unstoppable, and Mayle is also faster and quicker than advertised. Bowe, Benji,

Hawkins... dang, nice group. Bibbs is serious business. McCown has already surprised some folks, and the season

will show that he is the RIGHT guy to replace Hoyer. No worries.

I think you forgot about this flawless play. . .

https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/632083689392971776

I guess we saw two different things out there cause I didn't see that.. I thought he was late on breaks consistently and the fade routes he "defended" were terrible throws. I mean I hope I'm wrong but I just didn't see great game at all, I'm curious what you did see though that maybe I didn't.

I will say he did look good on the KR, but that's not quite why we drafted him 9th.

I haven't gone back and watched the all 22 yet(will do tonight), so "great" was probably a poor choice of word on my part......but he didnt play a bad game.....had lots of solid coverage and looked like he belonged to me...After that early screw up(by him "or" Gipson), I knew there would be people griping about him, so I did focus on his game as much as possible....and compared to the other DB's, I feel he played just as well or better....

He played virtually the whole game, which I believe, is because the coaches see his upside and(like me) want him in there....and, for the whole game, I dont remember hearing or seeing bad play........I do agree that he regularly trades bad play for great play, so we just gotta get him to be more consistent on the good side.....

Coach Pettine kind of suggested that the Garcon play could be on Gipson, as it was a read that the back had to make and they both made a different one......Gilbert let him go, thinking Gipson would pick him up.....and Gipson was either late or made diffrent read....

So, to me, thats what practice is for.....learning the reads and getting on the same page.....so that one play does not mean he played poorly(or even messed up, necessarily).....coulda been Gipson who screwed that up(maybe that coverage was one he missed in mini camp....who knows?).....

I think you forgot about this flawless play. . .

https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/632083689392971776

Whatever....I dont judge a whole game based upon one or 2 plays......

I could find a missed tackle or bad play on every guy out there......

Honestly....want to see bad play that stood out?....watch Orchard and Kruger against the run.....or our O line trying to block for Shaw and JFF....

Gilberts play was nowhere near as bad as some of these guys......seriously.....

Kruger diving in for a tackle where he completely missed the guy was tragic. We were shocking against the outside run. Up the middle, No problems, but whenever they tried to bounce outside we had no contain.

i didn't like our run D or O last night either BUT it is the first preseason game. 'coaches don't want to show you their cards' excuse is tiring for me. either you have it or you don't.

gilbert looked like a Retard dog. when he made a play he smiled and had his tongue sticking out. when he shit the bed he looked like he knew he was going to get beat. can't understand what is going on with that dude. smoking bath salts?

Gilbert didn't look good at all. Run D still weak. McCown looked good, as did JFF. But like everyone said, 1st preseason game.

Kruger diving in for a tackle where he completely missed the guy was tragic. We were shocking against the outside run. Up the middle, No problems, but whenever they tried to bounce outside we had no contain.

yeah it was....there was one run straight at Kruger where he stood there frozen, while Scott Solomon came all the way across the back field and tackled the runner from behind for no gain.....he was the only OLB I saw make a play.....

I haven't gone back and watched the all 22 yet(will do tonight), so "great" was probably a poor choice of word on my part......but he didnt play a bad game.....had lots of solid coverage and looked like he belonged to me...After that early screw up(by him "or" Gipson), I knew there would be people griping about him, so I did focus on his game as much as possible....and compared to the other DB's, I feel he played just as well or better....

He played virtually the whole game, which I believe, is because the coaches see his upside and(like me) want him in there....and, for the whole game, I dont remember hearing or seeing bad play........I do agree that he regularly trades bad play for great play, so we just gotta get him to be more consistent on the good side.....

Coach Pettine kind of suggested that the Garcon play could be on Gipson, as it was a read that the back had to make and they both made a different one......Gilbert let him go, thinking Gipson would pick him up.....and Gipson was either late or made diffrent read....

So, to me, thats what practice is for.....learning the reads and getting on the same page.....so that one play does not mean he played poorly(or even messed up, necessarily).....coulda been Gipson who screwed that up(maybe that coverage was one he missed in mini camp....who knows?).....

Yeah, I mean one busted play is what it is. I'm not groping too much on that although it obviously needs to be cleaned up. IDK man, I just saw in Gilbert was what I've seen from him since he's been here-a dude who clearly has the athletic ability to be on the field but just doesn't put it all together. As always though, I hope I'm wrong and I do know that CB is one of those positions that can take time. The good news though is at least all our eggs aren't in the Gilbert basket, there's obviously Haden and a ton of other guys who can fill in for the CB2 slot.

yeah it was....there was one run straight at Kruger where he stood there frozen, while Scott Solomon came all the way across the back field and tackled the runner from behind for no gain.....he was the only OLB I saw make a play.....

only LB I saw make a play apart from Kirksey, once, I think.

Yeah, I mean one busted play is what it is. I'm not groping too much on that although it obviously needs to be cleaned up. IDK man, I just saw in Gilbert was what I've seen from him since he's been here-a dude who clearly has the athletic ability to be on the field but just doesn't put it all together. As always though, I hope I'm wrong and I do know that CB is one of those positions that can take time. The good news though is at least all our eggs aren't in the Gilbert basket, there's obviously Haden and a ton of other guys who can fill in for the CB2 slot.

At this point Gilbert is at best #4 - behind Haden, T. Williams & Desir. K. Williams is ahead of him in the slot, too.

Whatever....I dont judge a whole game based upon one or 2 plays......

I could find a missed tackle or bad play on every guy out there......

Honestly....want to see bad play that stood out?....watch Orchard and Kruger against the run.....or our O line trying to block for Shaw and JFF....

Gilberts play was nowhere near as bad as some of these guys......seriously.....

Gilbert had two real bad plays last night, but he also had a few good ones. IMO, Cousins was targeting Gilbert and he rose to the occasion. Our second & third string O line looked really bad. I thought Thad would leave the game on a stretcher.

That play to me looks like Gilbert was having some footing issues - saw a few slides by other players last night and am wondering if the field was a bit slick in spots.

He should of at least knocked the receiver out of bounds if he couldn't make the tackle. Gilbert is athletically gifted, it's what he has between his ears that's concerning.

It's only the first preseason game so no need to overreact. There were a lot

of good things but I will focus on the problems I observed.

1.As noted we can't stop the run or run the ball.

2. Justin Gilbert still looks like a bust.

3.We better not have any injuries on our O-line. Outside of Erving

it looks bad. Michael Bowie may have had one of the worst games I

have seen an offensive lineman have in a long time. Seymour

wasn't much better.

4.Expanding on can't stop the run, it was mostly on our outside backers

not maintaing the edge. If you are playing a 3-4 (I know we play a hybrid)

you are not supposed to be able to run wide but the Redskins killed us

all night running outside.

Archived