THE BROWNS BOARD

Preseason game one

The Cysko Kid

It's only the first preseason game so no need to overreact. There were a lot

of good things but I will focus on the problems I observed.

1.As noted we can't stop the run or run the ball.

2. Justin Gilbert still looks like a bust.

3.We better not have any injuries on our O-line. Outside of Erving

it looks bad. Michael Bowie may have had one of the worst games I

have seen an offensive lineman have in a long time. Seymour

wasn't much better.

4.Expanding on can't stop the run, it was mostly on our outside backers

not maintaing the edge. If you are playing a 3-4 (I know we play a hybrid)

you are not supposed to be able to run wide but the Redskins killed us

all night running outside.

you say don't overreact but that's exactly what you did in your post.

gilbert is not a bust. the kid needs time, just like manziel, and i thought he was the bust.

shows you how much a fan knows.....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should of at least knocked the receiver out of bounds if he couldn't make the tackle. Gilbert is athletically gifted, it's what he has between his ears that's concerning.

That's what scares me. Not grasping the playbook, getting the nuances of the position - sure, I can get that. But, the receiver catches the ball by the side line and the first instinct isn't to just knock him out of bounds? That worries me. I mean, he overplayed and gave up the inside leverage, so the receiver could spin him, but he still needs to make that tackle.

re-watching the telecast now (as of 1 am last night i was pretty snockered).

am i the only that thinks our special teams coach tabor is insane? dude looks like he just did an eight ball and left the hustler club before joining the team on the sidelines....

Whatever....I dont judge a whole game based upon one or 2 plays......

I could find a missed tackle or bad play on every guy out there......

Honestly....want to see bad play that stood out?....watch Orchard and Kruger against the run.....or our O line trying to block for Shaw and JFF....

Gilberts play was nowhere near as bad as some of these guys......seriously.....

We passed on some serious talent for Justin Gilbert.

If you want to say you can't judge a guy on 1 or 2 plays you're missing the point.

He's soft, he can't tackle, and he shows ZERO effort at times. It's very concerning

you say don't overreact but that's exactly what you did in your post.

gilbert is not a bust. the kid needs time, just like manziel, and i thought he was the bust.

shows you how much a fan knows.....

I didn't overreact I only made some observations. Things can change. It's ONLY an observation based

on a scrimmage. IMO Gilbert being a top ten pick should be better NOW not later. He is running behind

Desir a late round pick and behind Williams a UFA. He has time but he needs to pick it up . He LOOKS like

a bust but not necessarily IS a bust yet.

I pretty much agree with everyone on what they saw, but I'll add.......

Pros:

This year's rookies look impressive

McCown looked better than I hoped

WR core impressed

Team looked very organized

Few penalties

ST's looked good

DL played well

Cons:

Run D

LBs ....... All of them

Players still not simply doing their job - LBs especially

Gilbert vs true NFL WRs (not the future insurance salesmen he covered later in the night)

LBs

Unis.... Y U C K - "Straight outta Walmart"

LBs

Pros:

WR core impressed

Few penalties

ST's looked good

DL played well

Cons:

Run D

LBs ....... All of them

Gilbert vs true NFL WRs (not the future insurance salesmen he covered later in the night)

LBs

LBs

Good summary.

Some plays that come to mind were Shelton & Cooper. Those two will give offensive coordinators fits this year. Shelton's play reminds me of Suh, a big push up the middle. Cooper's first step is very quick, I can see him making some hits in the backfield.

I can say I've always liked the play from Brian Hartline, he reminds me of a Brian Brennan or Joe Jureviscious. He's no bolt of lightning, but he catches anything thrown his way and he will help move the sticks.

McCown was a pleasant surprise, he looked better than I expected. JM looked more comfortable in the pocket, but what scares me is he was also our leading rusher.

There were some highlights & lowlights last night, but I'm not going panic. It was the first preseason game of the year, nothing more nothing less.

Stopping the interior run was clearly a priority last night and I suspect had a lot to do with our trouble on the edge.

Fact is, if you can stop the straight line power you won't stop the off tackle runs either. So being stronger up the middle is very encouraging to me.

Pros:

WR core impressed

Few penalties

ST's looked good

DL played well

Cons:

Run D

LBs ....... All of them

LBs

LBs

Agreed on the Uniforms. They look cheap. Like the old style better.

PFF grades are out. Pretty dang good first team offense. Every starter except Mack, Hawkins, and Erving with a positive number.

Don't use Bibbs as a run blocker....

Grades confirm that McCown was as good as anyone in the league. Johnny and Shaw both in the black as well!

2nd team OL on the other hand....turrble.

Shelton threw up an elite grade for 14 snaps! Whoooo!!

I'm interested to hear what you saw (assuming you saw the game) and not what you read on pff.......... ;)

The one guy I noted that had a very strong game was Ibraheim Campbell. Not getting much talk or accolades, but he was always around the ball....run or pass.....and made some real nice hits and tackles......

He's looking like a possible unheralded sleeper who could rise fast......

Just watched my midnight recording for the first time. Here are my impressions...

Announcers: Patrick is a bit long in the tooth, but I always liked his ESPN broadcasts in the early SNF days. Wilcotts on the other hand... the dude just gives analysis a bad name. I likely won't have to suffer the pair again this preseason... my sympathies to those who do.

New Uniforms: Teams colors should inspire more than nausea. All the daylight video of practice did not prepare me for how bad the new orange would look under the lights. And I missed the glossy helmets. But my reaction may be my old, color-blind eyes which could barely discern the helmet logo painted at mid-field.

Preparation: Until very late in the game the team looked remarkably prepared with neither substitution issues nor players lining up improperly nor pre-snap penalties.

QBs: McCown looked the game manager part complete with pocket presence. Arm looked good. Ability to extend plays is a bonus... we got a bonus.
JM looked better, but playing safe is not the same as managing the position. I'd love a 22 read on his reads. Aside from one hot route, not sure he made any. Seemed to overreact to pressure, but TD run was very decisive and included nice job of setting up a block by Moore. Questions remain, but you crawl before you walk, walk before...
Shaw's arm looked stronger than I remember it. He has to feel pressure a bit earlier.
Thad looked like an early cut candidate.

RBs: Overall I feel like I saw why Ray Rice is being vetted...
Crow looked jacked up... maybe by Montgomery's recent words. He lacked patience and seemed to be racing his line to the edge. Instead he needs to glide behind them until a crack appears as he did last year. Nice run after his swing pass reception.
West looked lethargic.
Only other RB of note was Flanders who flashed a couple times including a blitz pick up or two. Might have a PS shot...

Johnson looked like a FB.

WRs: Hartline looked ready to go.

By this time Benji should be able to set up his DB and get deep...

Jennings may be the surprise of the nite. In addition to his 2 catches he had a very nice KO return in which he hesitated to set up a block (by Johnson IIRC). Our RBs should watch that return...

Mayle's hands looked plenty sticky.

TEs: Familiar pair started.

Bibbs made a strong H-back case. Hard to see him not making the 53.

I swear I saw Housler on the back of a jersey... on Special Teams.

O-line: Did some coach clicker stuff early. Debating on doing a full grading.

Mack played one series and looked good. Seymore filled in and did not.

Bito and Greco looked very good. Greco was the 2nd starter to sit; Bito the 3rd IIRC.

Erving played LT until Thad came in. Looked like a good rookie. Was surprised he did not get a series or two at Center.

Schwartz played deeper into the game than all the starters save Erving... good idea as Mitch has a history of starting slow.

Of our unknowns Painter looked decent subbing for Greco at RG early. I think Bowie started at RT and moved to left when Erving finally sat.

D:

Yes... the run D was disappointing, but I can hear Pet now... "It's a process." I agree. We will not go from #32 to top of the league overnite.

There were times when the line did it's job leaving an LB free to make an impact tackle. Kirksey early... and impressively Pullard late. The rookie may not have the measureables, but he seems to have the proverbial nose for the ball. Consistency in keeping the LBs clean is what we need and what will come with time.

Then the question will be are our LBs consistently up to the task. TBH I am not sure. I know it's my same old drum, but I just think our LBs are too easy to play call against.

At least I found a new way of saying that they are lacking in 3-down talent...

Yes... the run D was disappointing, but I can hear Pet now... "It's a process." I agree. We will not go from #32 to top of the league overnite.

There were times when the line did it's job leaving an LB free to make an impact tackle. Kirksey early... and impressively Pullard late. The rookie may not have the measureables, but he seems to have the proverbial nose for the ball. Consistency in keeping the LBs clean is what we need and what will come with time.

Then the question will be are our LBs consistently up to the task. TBH I am not sure. I know it's my same old drum, but I just think our LBs are too easy to play call against.

At least I found a new way of saying that they are lacking in 3-down talent...

Looks like we watched the same game.....

On the LB's, I gotta say the inside guys looked good.....Dansby and Kirksey both played well(I think Dansby had 4-5 tackles in only a couple series(16 snaps?).....saw Kirksey make some nice stops....even Carder & Pullard had some notable plays too....

For me, the worry is more the outside guys.....seems easy to expose their weaknesses.....

QBs: McCown looked the game manager part complete with pocket presence. Arm looked good. Ability to extend plays is a bonus... we got a bonus.

JM looked better, but playing safe is not the same as managing the position. I'd love a 22 read on his reads. Aside from one hot route, not sure he made any. Seemed to overreact to pressure, but TD run was very decisive and included nice job of setting up a block by Moore. Questions remain, but you crawl before you walk, walk before...

Shaw's arm looked stronger than I remember it. He has to feel pressure a bit earlier.

Thad looked like an early cut candidate.

Manziel I thought looked a lot better than I've ever seen him on pressure, which by my count they sent on 75% or so of his dropbacks. At least two times off the top of my head there were totally unblocked guys he managed to get away from, and the hot route was nice too.

He's not there yet by any means but I was happy to see it was better work coming from him.

For me, the worry is more the outside guys.....seems easy to expose their weaknesses.....

Can we get an outside guy to set an edge and stay in their gap within the defense?? For the love of all that's holy.

PFF grades are out. Pretty dang good first team offense. Every starter except Mack, Hawkins, and Erving with a positive number.

Don't use Bibbs as a run blocker....

Grades confirm that McCown was as good as anyone in the league. Johnny and Shaw both in the black as well!

2nd team OL on the other hand....turrble.

The day all five backup oline guys step in we're in big trouble

Looks like we watched the same game.....

On the LB's, I gotta say the inside guys looked good.....Dansby and Kirksey both played well(I think Dansby had 4-5 tackles in only a couple series(16 snaps?).....saw Kirksey make some nice stops....even Carder & Pullard had some notable plays too....

I forgot to mention that Kirksey looks "pumped up" vs last year. And we both failed to mention Robertson who was flying around some... Our inside trio looks good.

Manziel I thought looked a lot better than I've ever seen him on pressure, which by my count they sent on 75% or so of his dropbacks. At least two times off the top of my head there were totally unblocked guys he managed to get away from, and the hot route was nice too.

He's not there yet by any means but I was happy to see it was better work coming from him.

Agree... JM certainly did not "rattle" and his mechanics continue to impress, but...

What may have been his throw of the nite hit Winn in his right shoulder. I think Winn may owe him one.

All 3 of us did.......... 1 of you 2 owe me a beer.

Works for me...

I'll admit I was very critical (rightfully so) of Pullards tape from USC and his propensity to take bad angles attacking downhill. Watching some of the game and he looks solid. Doesn't explode off of tape but he finds the ball carrier and has a nose for tracking and screens.

Some of the Gilbert musings on the twitterverse.

@KeithBritton86: Dieken on @BullandFox (Justin Gilbert's comments about one flaw):"If you think you only made one, I think we were watching a different game"

@sdoerschukREP: Pettine on Gilbert's "flawless" comment: "He made that statement without having seen the film." Then, silence.

@sdoerschukREP: Update from Pettine: Glbert "made some good plays, mad some bad. Covered well on RG3's last two red-zone plays."

Can we get an outside guy to set an edge and stay in their gap within the defense?? For the love of all that's holy.

So "In Mingo You Don't Trust". Good God (holy) With Both His Arms (he must prove his pro bowl status this season) ;)

Archived