THE BROWNS BOARD

Not sorry to have seen him go...

calfoxwc

That hole opened up after he was past it, he was following his blocker like he was supposed to do. After he takes off with the blocker the hole opened.

Good rb's know how to cut back. Richardson isn't that smart. Tunnel vision.

He couldn't see the roadblock ahead of him ??? He went with the roadblock,

and never looked at the hole, which is, per the blocking, where he was supposed to go.

Two sets of blocks go different directions, and that's how you figure it?

They have your number, poetic. Seriously. LOL.

That hole opened up after he was past it, he was following his blocker like he was supposed to do. After he takes off with the blocker the hole opened.

atta boy

And then I remember when people thought I was crazy when I agreed with Jim Brown, that T-rich was ordinary.. he's not even that.. we were both wrong..

No way to prove this of course, but I'm betting that any other top 10 back in the league scores on that play.......... Not every starting back would've scored, but the good ones would have, and being the #3 pick of the draft puts him up against the good ones.

Bottom line: He stinks

More accurate analysis of this play is found at this link.

Gotta love almost anything that backs up the analysis with clips from the All-22 view.

So we're to believe that TR saw the LB "in the hole"...

... a hole big enough to juke in and therefore chose to run into a pile...

... a pile BTW where his jerseys were outnumbered 7 to 5.

Brilliant!

Somewhere, PoG is blaming the oline for making the huge hole in the wrong spot............

He didn't let us down. :)

More accurate analysis of this play is found at this link.

Gotta love almost anything that backs up the analysis with clips from the All-22 view.

I disagree with the "extended" analysis. So Trent isn't much of a cutback runner? I'd expect the highest drafted RB in a long time to have at least a rudimentary acquaintance with the concept.

No way to prove this of course, but I'm betting that any other top 10 back in the league scores on that play.......... Not every starting back would've scored, but the good ones would have, and being the #3 pick of the draft puts him up against the good ones.

Bottom line: He stinks

^+1 The guy has zero field vision. That play was hardly an isolated instance of Richardson not seeing a hole big enough to drive a car through. Will go down as a top 10 all-time bust.

I absolutely adored TR at Alabama. His suckage has been really incomprehensible to me. His HS tape was amazing. He was better than his Heisman-teammate as a freshman, and in his one year as the lead back he wrecked it there too. I hope it was just the terrible Indy line that made him bad and he makes a big comeback.

A&M actually got Christine Michael who wanted to go to LSU because LSU was confident they'd get Richardson so they didn't offer Michael. They got neither.

I'm just a Fan who wanted TR here in the worst way, only to see him REgress rather than PROgress. It just seems to me he kept getting bulkier & less mobile & his vision seemed to deteriorate as well. He was not the same TR I watched play for Alabama.

Mike

I absolutely adored TR at Alabama. His suckage has been really incomprehensible to me. His HS tape was amazing. He was better than his Heisman-teammate as a freshman, and in his one year as the lead back he wrecked it there too. I hope it was just the terrible Indy line that made him bad and he makes a big comeback.

A&M actually got Christine Michael who wanted to go to LSU because LSU was confident they'd get Richardson so they didn't offer Michael. They got neither.

When he did that bull rush and knocked the helmet off that Eagles defender in his first game I thought we really had the second coming.......but that play....in his first game was the apex of his career.

I'm just a Fan who wanted TR here in the worst way, only to see him REgress rather than PROgress. It just seems to me he kept getting bulkier & less mobile & his vision seemed to deteriorate as well. He was not the same TR I watched play for Alabama.

Mike

I was never a Richardson fan- I said leading up to the draft- you never saw Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson get caught from behind in college- can't be said about TR. If you draft a guy #3 overall, AND trade up to get him- sorry, that's the standard you have to hold him to. 3.3 ypc, and a career long run of 32 yards seems to validate my claim Trent is seriously lacking an overdrive gear. He'll be fortunate to have a Cadillac Williams level career.

Right now, I wouldn't trade our UFA Isaiah Crowell to the Raiders straight up to get Richardson back.

I absolutely adored TR at Alabama. His suckage has been really incomprehensible to me.

Ditto... When most were wild about Ingram I was talking about his back-up... but a year later I saw his back-up's back-up.

As for his suckage... I think when the play is designed to produce a hole in a certain spot, that is where TR runs. May have always been that way, with the difference at Bama being that the holes were there a much higher percentage of the time.

When he did that bull rush and knocked the helmet off that Eagles defender in his first game I thought we really had the second coming.......but that play....in his first game was the apex of his career.

What's interesting there are the similarities to the failed Oakland run. With us TR started up the middle, but quickly cut left to the hole and took on whatever defender showed there. The difference is the Browns' play was a delayed draw which tend to not have designed holes, but holes that happen due to defense movement.

Makes me wonder how he'd fare in a ZBS scheme...

Probably would not make much difference, but I know we did not feature the ZBS when TR was here. Don't recall Indy's scheme... but I know it's in under Ariens in AZ. It doesn't seem Musgrave favors it in Oakland.

It wasn't the Indy line. You obviously didn't see him play here.

The biggest thing about Trent looking at it all now is that Alabama made him look like a superstar by design. It's the reason now that four straight Alabama RB's have been drafted all with expectations of being the next big thing. I'm the first to admit I didn't see that at the time and was excited to have a playmaker on offense. But it's clear that Alabama's design and overall dominance when we was playing made his tape look better than it was.

The biggest thing about Trent looking at it all now is that Alabama made him look like a superstar by design. It's the reason now that four straight Alabama RB's have been drafted all with expectations of being the next big thing. I'm the first to admit I didn't see that at the time and was excited to have a playmaker on offense. But it's clear that Alabama's design and overall dominance when we was playing made his tape look better than it was.

Just gonna leave these here...

Hm, I wonder who the guy is who's been calling RG3 Troy Smith for the past 7 months. Oh, that's right...me.

Don't lump me in with the RG3 homers because I don't want Richardson. It's not one or the other.

Furthermore, if you would have actually read my comment, you'd notice I too believe Hillis will be gone. By bringing him up, I only meant to call attention to the fact that we've had the same type of runner on the team for the past two years, and we're not exactly playoff material, so it's highly unlikely bringing in Richardson will suddenly push us over the edge. Even with Hillis at full potential, our offense was anemic and we barely scraped out wins. We have needs other than at RB, having a top notch RB will only get us one extra win if any.

Not that I believe Richardson will be top notch, because he won't. His claim to fame has been running behind a solid offensive line and trucking 200 lb cornerbacks who won't ever play on Sundays. His top 5 runs that ESPN loves to shove down our throats feature him not being touched at all on three of them, two of which he makes 0 moves and still nobody is near him. The other runs he's either walking through weak arm tackles from an awful and very undersized Arkansas defense, trucking the CB from the aforementioned undersized Arkansas defense or he's trucking Janoris Jenkins, a 5'10 CB weighing in at a whopping 180 lbs. He won't be able to run over everyone in the NFL, and he sure as shit can't run around them either. At the very best, he's a slower version of Marshawn Lynch...which isn't worthy of the number 4 pick.

Alabama has been able to turn out RB's as of late. Eddie Lacy, Richardson's backup, averaged 7.5 yards a carry last season while getting over 600 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. He was seventh in the NCAA in YPC. If a backup RB, getting valuable carries in meaningful games, is 7th overall in the league in YPC it's a sure sign that either your offensive line is dominant or you've got a fantastic rushing-minded OC.

You want Hillis to stay and replace Marecic so bad, why don't you just have Richardson take Marecic's place? Because, as I and many others have said before, they're the same back. They're both 4.55 RB's from the SEC who try to run through people instead of over them. The only difference is that Hillis has already proven he can run over nearly anyone in the NFL, whereas Richardson sticks to trucking mediocre cornerbacks.

His on the field play isn't anything stellar. Most of his big hits are on defensive backs. He's not going to be half as effective in the NFL as he was in college, and most of his effectiveness in college was due to the fact he was playing for Alabama. He was outshone by his backup a couple times, just as he outshone Mark Ingram. Alabama has a very run-friendly system, RB's are flourishing there.

His problem is that he isn't very good. He simply benefitted from playing behind a stellar offensive line at Alabama.

You mean to tell me that Alabama has just happened to have three fantastic RB's right after another? It's highly unlikely.

Mark Ingram was supposed to be the next great RB. First round draft pick, never had more than 700 yards in a season. His last year at Bama, everybody was saying how his backup, Richardson, was supposed to be better than him.

Enter Richardson. First round draft pick. 3.0 YPC in the NFL. His last year at Bama, everybody was saying that his backup, Lacy, was supposed to be better than him.

Enter Lacy. Coming into today he had 15 attempts for 50 yards and a TD through 2 games. We'll see how he does but he's been the most successful so far, in my opinion.

Everybody said "Richardson just needs a QB, then he'll light it up". Ingram and Lacy have two of the best QB's in the NFL, hasn't really done much for them.

Add to that the fact that Bama had three of their linemen taken in the first two rounds. Two in the top 15.

Add to that the fact that Bama had three of their linemen taken in the first two rounds. Two in the top 15.

... and none have really made a splash.

Since 2007, the beginning of the Saban era, 51 Bama players have been drafted. If we ignore lagacy recruiting classes and begin the count in 2010 (or 2009 allowing for underclassmen entering early), then the total falls by 3 from '07, 4 in '09 and 7 in '10. Not a single player on the '08 team was drafted. So depending on treatment of his 2010 class between 37 and 44 of his players were drafted in the NFL.

To date six of these draftees have made pro bowls. None of the six were in the 2009 or 2010 classes. Two of the six have gone more than once, Dareus and Julio Jones.

Here's the link to the data: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_players_in_the_NFL_draft

Nick just may recruit really good players and just have the ability to mold them so the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

On:

Richardson sucks

Hillis gone

RG3 sucks

Off:

Lacy sucks

Lynch not that good

Hillis good

I'll take .500.

Yeah, I was even going to say someone had said that before we drafted him. Well, the only thing to say to the whole fiasco of drafting him is that the Browns weren't the only team in love with him. I have no doubt he would have been a top 7-8 pick, but of course the Browns took the bait.

Archived