THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the best in the AFCN

The Gipper

Julio Jones is my best WR in the NFL. Remember that time the Browns traded his rights for Phil Taylor, Massaquoi or Little I forget which one, and a ham sandwich? Talk about worst draft trades ever. Antonio Brown and him are my 1/2

Just going off stats alone you are incorrect. Production over the last two seasons has one received firmly at the top and its Brown. He's also incredibly consistent. Brown is the best and there isn't much of an argument against that position. There hasn't been a team that has stopped him over the last two seasons.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just going off stats alone you are incorrect. Production over the last two seasons has one received firmly at the top and its Brown. He's also incredibly consistent. Brown is the best and there isn't much of an argument against that position. There hasn't been a team that has stopped him over the last two seasons.

No he's not asshole.. Keep dreaming.

But they're just pissing matches. No one actually comes with any fact. For example, when discussing AB's "unstoppability," no Steelers fan here was smart enough to mention the fact that he hasn't had less than 5 catches AND 50 yards in like 3 seasons. Yeah, I'd say unstoppable is a good description.

AJ Green gets stopped by Joe Haden at least once a year like kryptonite. Brown doesn't by anyone.

And even when you do try and get in the way, Brown will karate kick you in the face for your troubles.

I think Julio is a better player. Not everything is stats

Brown had a really great season last year, by far the best of anyone. But from a game planning perspective I think Jones scares me more as a defensive coordinator.

Inconsistent isn't really true, but he has had more injuries than Brown that have slowed him or kept him off the field. Which is definitely part of the discussion.

The stats could favor him this year if he stays healthy, we'll see.

Josh Gordon was better.....in just about every way you measure a WR.....except, of course being reliable.

Let's put it this way....Gordon had Weeden, Jason Campbell, and Brian Hoyer throwing to him and set all kinds of records.

Imagine what he could have done if he had a BR or the like.

Give Brown Weeden/Campbell/Hoyer to pitch to him....and he looks like a middle infielder, not a cleanup hitter.

I saw Josh Gordon drop 4 passes in one game. I remember a Pitt/Clev game when he had 200yds receiving or close to it but it was all in the second half after Pitt had built a huge lead and AB had over 100yds to get them to that point. That one game was a perfect example of the difference in the two. He's a talented kid but not better than AB. Christ, he can't get on the field and AB is breaking records. Not to mention I think he's only had one good year right? What's he done otherwise? I wonder who Haden thinks is better because he hasn't been able to cover AB effectively yet.

If I could have any receiver....Id probably still take Megatron......then Julio......

Brown is good.....very good......but not nearly the most capable just due to his being a midget,......

That's fair. I can't argue Megatron that's for sure. He's a generational talent. Julio is great too. AB isn't big but he makes up for it with quickness and superior skill. He rarely drops the ball and runs great routes. And another thing about Gordon, don't you guys get irritated with his laziness and poor attitude? Maybe it's me but he always looks likes he's bothered to even be on the field.

Plenty of people are irritated with Gordon around here, mostly for his inability to stay on the field.

If you're building a trio of receivers, you probably end up with Johnson and Bryant outside, Brown inside. Put them up against Jones, D Thomas and TY Hilton, and I don't think many would end up picking the latter.

But they're just pissing matches. No one actually comes with any fact. For example, when discussing AB's "unstoppability," no Steelers fan here was smart enough to mention the fact that he hasn't had less than 5 catches AND 50 yards in like 3 seasons. Yeah, I'd say unstoppable is a good description.

AJ Green gets stopped by Joe Haden at least once a year like kryptonite. Brown doesn't by anyone.

So....you agreed to join the pissing match?

Of course, the suspension of Josh Gordon stopped him from being the likely most productive receiver over the last two years.

If you imputed the same stats he had the year before to last year, it would be no contest.

(but, of course, you are right....you can't do that. Well, actually, I can for the sake of argument....but naturally that is a big IF)

Lol. I don't need to dream dipshit. It's a reality.

It is neither a dream nor a reality: It is an argument. Your contention that Brown is the best WR the last two years is certainly a valid argument for which you should not be castigated.

I dont' agree that either he nor Julio Jones are the best WRs in the league.....but each contention has its merits.

I saw Josh Gordon drop 4 passes in one game. I remember a Pitt/Clev game when he had 200yds receiving or close to it but it was all in the second half after Pitt had built a huge lead and AB had over 100yds to get them to that point. That one game was a perfect example of the difference in the two. He's a talented kid but not better than AB. Christ, he can't get on the field and AB is breaking records. Not to mention I think he's only had one good year right? What's he done otherwise? I wonder who Haden thinks is better because he hasn't been able to cover AB effectively yet.

Ahm, I think Gordon is more talented and CAN be better....no....he WAS better than AB the year he was fully available and productive. (And Brown has had 2 good years)

As for records...Gordon has his share:

He has the highest YPG avg. in a season next only to some early AFL players and 1950s Ram receivers.

He is the only person in history with two consecutive 200 yard receiving games. I suspect there may be more.

Might he have dropped a few passes....sure....I suggest if you go back you will see Brown having dropped his share of passes. His talent overcame that.

Is he a complete knucklehead? Obviously.

Can he return someday to be the performer he is capable of? Who really knows.

That's fair. I can't argue Megatron that's for sure. He's a generational talent. Julio is great too. AB isn't big but he makes up for it with quickness and superior skill. He rarely drops the ball and runs great routes. And another thing about Gordon, don't you guys get irritated with his laziness and poor attitude? Maybe it's me but he always looks likes he's bothered to even be on the field.

I would put Johnson and AJ Green over both of them.

As for Gordon....his issues in what you say were only exhibited last year when he came back off suspension.

Was there something wrong there? Sure. Are we irritated? Sure. Especially considering that the one thing this team desperately needs are some offensive playmakers and he was on track to be one of the best in the game.

Will he be able to come back to perform at that level? Again, Who knows.

But he is too much of a talent to be given up on. And sorry, quite frankly the NFL's approach to players smoking a little dope is completely draconian and antiquated.

To put it in perspective for you: If Leveon Bell gets nabbed again for smoking a little dope....you lose him for a whole year.

If that happens then he joins the Gordon in the same canoe, stranded in the middle of a big lake.

Ahm, I think Gordon is more talented and CAN be better....no....he WAS better than AB the year he was fully available and productive. (And Brown has had 2 good years)

As for records...Gordon has his share:

He has the highest YPG avg. in a season next only to some early AFL players and 1950s Ram receivers.

He is the only person in history with two consecutive 200 yard receiving games. I suspect there may be more.

Might he have dropped a few passes....sure....I suggest if you go back you will see Brown having dropped his share of passes. His talent overcame that.

Is he a complete knucklehead? Obviously.

Can he return someday to be the performer he is capable of? Who really knows.

You pitty pat dropped passes as if they almost don't matter. They matter a lot and mean a lot when talking about who is better. The Steelers drafted Sammy Coates this year and I keep hearing how "talented" he is. Well so what? He's dropped half the passes thrown to him so far. He's taller than AB, probably faster. He's not half the receiver AB is.

You seem to want to cherry pick Gordan's good qualities and minimize his bad one's when arguing he's better that AB. To me if you consider both it's not close. It's not a if-then thing to me. AB is just better. His statistics have improved every year and he's a good kid. Gordan is a mess who had one really good year. Unfortunately for you, you have to keep excusing everything that's wrong with the dude while trying to champion him at the same time. When you consider everything, AB is better.

I would put Johnson and AJ Green over both of them.

You must have missed the Bengal game Monday night when John Gruden did a whole segment on how too many of Dalton's interceptions have come while throwing to AJ Green (27) and how so many of them were Green's fault. This was right after Green dropped a pass that was intercepted. He showed 3 or 4 examples where Green either dropped it, didn't run the right route or didn't execute the route the way it should have been and the play resulted in a pick. He's talented for sure but he makes a ton of mistakes that cost his team dearly. AB is better and so is Julio.

You pitty pat dropped passes as if they almost don't matter.

They matter if that is all that the player does. But, when he averages 117 yards per game...and numerous TD catches.

They matter a lot and mean a lot when talking about who is better. The Steelers drafted Sammy Coates this year and I keep hearing how "talented" he is. Well so what? He's dropped half the passes thrown to him so far. He's taller than AB, probably faster. He's not half the receiver AB is.

You seem to want to cherry pick Gordan's good qualities and minimize his bad one's when arguing he's better that AB.

And you want to do the exact opposite.....cherry pick his bad qualities and minimize his good ones when arguing that AB is better.

To me if you consider both it's not close. It's not a if-then thing to me. AB is just better.

His statistics have improved every year and he's a good kid. Gordan is a mess who had one really good year. Unfortunately for you, you have to keep excusing everything that's wrong with the dude while trying to champion him at the same time. When you consider everything, AB is better.

The ONLY thing that makes AB better is that he hasn't fucked up like Gordon has.

So, OK, for that reason only.....the best ability being availability, sure Brown is showing up and playing. If he needed a walker and he could go out there he would still be better than Gordon.

You must have missed the Bengal game Monday night when John Gruden did a whole segment on how too many of Dalton's interceptions have come while throwing to AJ Green (27) and how so many of them were Green's fault. This was right after Green dropped a pass that was intercepted. He showed 3 or 4 examples where Green either dropped it, didn't run the right route or didn't execute the route the way it should have been and the play resulted in a pick. He's talented for sure but he makes a ton of mistakes that cost his team dearly. AB is better and so is Julio.

You are arguing about the results in a preseason game?

Bottom line: If I am putting a team together from scratch....I am taking AJ Green over either Brown or Jones.

Again, this is no disparagement to those two necessarily.....I just think Green...and Johnson are better.

You are arguing about the results in a preseason game?

Bottom line: If I am putting a team together from scratch....I am taking AJ Green over either Brown or Jones.

Again, this is no disparagement to those two necessarily.....I just think Green...and Johnson are better.

Preseason game or not, it was a drop. The pass came right to him, his hands touched it, the ball went through them, then it was intercepted. It also preceded a long discussion by John Gruden about how that happens way too often when the ball is thrown to AJ Green. He didn't say it happens when throwing to AB or Julio, he said it happens (27 times) too often when Dalton throws to Green. That being said, you opinion is your opinion. I'm just defending mine.

OK, I mistated a bit when I said that Josh Gordon had the best ypg average since the 1960s. Here are the actual records for most average yards per game receiving in a season:

1. Wes Chandler 1982 Chargers 129.0 ypg......Quarterback throwing to him Hall of Famer Dan Fouts

2. Charley Henningan 1961 Oilers 124.7 ypg....Quarterback: Hall of Famer George Blanda

3. Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch 1951 LA Rams 124.6 ypg....Quarteback: Hall of Famer Norm Van Brocklin

4. Calvin Johnson 2012 Lions 122.8 ypg....Quarterback: Matt Stafford

5. Jim Benton 1945 Cleveland Rams 118.6 ypg....Quarterback: Hall of Famer Bob Waterfield

6. Josh Gordon 2013 Browns 117.6 ypg....Quarterbacks: Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer

(not your HOF/All Pro list, needless to say)

The ONLY thing that makes AB better is that he hasn't fucked up like Gordon has.

No, like I said before Gordan drops way too many passes. He was famous for it WHEN HE WAS ACTUALLY PLAYING.

He was famous for having one of the best season ever in history by a Wide Receiver....for being the only WR in history with back to back 200 yard games.

In the words of Sherlock Holmes: If I could in anyway be assured of the former eventuality, I would cheerfully accept the latter.

Preseason game or not, it was a drop. The pass came right to him, his hands touched it, the ball went through them, then it was intercepted. It also preceded a long discussion by John Gruden about how that happens way too often when the ball is thrown to AJ Green. He didn't say it happens when throwing to AB or Julio, he said it happens (27 times) too often when Dalton throws to Green. That being said, you opinion is your opinion. I'm just defending mine.

You are being obsequious in defense of your boy.

Ooh, Gordon and Green are no good because they dropped a few passes! Whoop de fucking do.

You know, Jerry Rice admitted to cheating by using stickum.....are you going to say he should not be considered the greatest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LnDDPtv6to

No, like I said before Gordan drops way too many passes. He was famous for it WHEN HE WAS ACTUALLY PLAYING.

Except Brown drops exactly the same amount as Gordon.....so, if your gonna argue a point, its best to argue a valid one.....

2012 Brown had 4 drops to Gordons same 4 drops.....

2013 Brown had 8 drops to Gordons 9 drops.....

so 1 more dropped ball by Gordon....HUGE difference, eh?...

lest we forget that Gordon gained 5 yards more per catch X 100+ catches = 500 extra yards of production o the same #of catches...

which is almost 2 whole games of offense...less 1 drop.....so there's that too.....

Archived