THE BROWNS BOARD

Justin Gilbert

darubes

That's all well and good, except Mayle and Erving are rookies and Pryor is playing a brand new position with very little offseason training.

so when they're still struggling next year we should just kick them to the curb too?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, we haven't heard anyone questioning the work ethic or heart of those three guys like we have Gilbert.

i understand that. but the chance given to gilbert and manziel should be the chance given to every rookie if they were hand picked in the draft.

it goes to my point a year ago when talking about manziel, when is the cut-off time when talking about a drafted rookie in the top 1-3 rounds? mingo still hasn't proved himself but they conitnue to hope because pettine and o'neill coveted him in buffalo. so when does the dream end for these guys?

Just for the sake of perspective, I went back 5 years and researched the first few CB's taken in the top 10-15 picks......

2014:

Gilbert - (#8)......rookie PFF score of -2.6

Fuller - (#14).....rookie PFF score of -18.4...(worst of all rookie CB's)

2013 -

Milliner - (#9)... ..rookie PFF score of -2.4..(3rd camp and still not starting)

Hayden - (#12)...rookie PFF score of -6.5..(3rd camp and still not starting)

2012:

Claiborne - (#6)..rookie PFF score of -4.1..(4th camp and might start)(maybe)

Gilmore - (#10)...rookie PFF score of -4.0..(started last year and scored his first plus in 3 years)

2011:

Peterson - (#5)...rookie PFF score of -9.5(worst rookie score in his class)(improved over next 2 years to become one of the best)

2010:

Haden - (#7).....rookie PFF score of +14.6....WOW!....he is the last CB drafted(top 10) to play well in year one.....all the rest....everyone of them......score the same or worse than Gilbert....

So....based upon recent history....Mr. Terrible graded as well or better than all the other CB's with similar expectations....

And the other popular CB rookies from last year, that so many were saying we should have picked, faired even worse....

Fuller was rated dead last....had 2 good games early, then turned to shit....and Dennard was so great that he didnt even play for a team that needs CB's.....

So....lets be fair in our comparisons, as CB(like QB) is an extra difficult position and our style of man play is the most difficult.....Let's give him a chance...he'll get it.....

I think anyone EXPECTING a CB to dominate right out of the gate is setting themselves up for disappointment. It just doesn't happen often enough. Some positions, sure. But corners have a difficult job that is ever getting more difficult with the rulebook cracking down on them.

I think there's cause for concern though with Gilbert. Not as an athlete... But I do have to question a guy who thinks at any point that he's "flawless." Unless he's dominating out there and earns that, I think it's a bad sign. If he doesn't see the need to improve himself, he won't. And when I see that video of him simply giving up on his coverage, there's evidence he has that mindset.

I have a lot of hopes for him. Your numbers help that. And I sure as shit hate how reactionary we can be at times.

But at this point, I have to admit I'm more concerned than I am excited about Gilbert.

so when they're still struggling next year we should just kick them to the curb too?

If they squander this entire year, get beat out by undrafted players behind them, then have some struggles in next year's offseason....yes, I think it's warranted to question them.

If they squander this entire year, get beat out by undrafted players behind them, then have some struggles in next year's offseason....yes, I think it's warranted to question them.

Agree... at some point you just have to as even the 53rd spot is too precious.

If the pick you spent was high enough, then some other team will have a need and think they can fix what you could not. So you get what you can in a trade and move on.

Kinda like we did with TR...

Screw the hip flexor... maybe it's a badly bruised ego..

Will be miraculously healed just as soon as Haden, Desir, etc come back and he can go run and hide on the bench...

The people talking shit about his poor play are not his coworkers or bosses. If they were hard on him, I could see why his confidence would be shot. However, what a bunch of fans and sports writers say about him should be of little concern to him. Play well and even the outside doubters will shut up. This all falls on Gilbert.

Fans are his bosses in a huge way.

Gip. I am a huge fan of yours. Yours are among the posts that I always make a point of reading... But like the classic Great White track, I'm afraid this is a case of Once Bitten, Twice Shy... I'm not a hater... just a observer of human behavior... dude got beat 11 times in scrimmage, and smoked in the Redskins game... I think by this point, he just wants to go away and hide, and hope nobody notices him. Wish I was wrong.

Fans are his bosses in a huge way.

Apparently we have found the root cause of Gilbert's poor play.......... Instead of studying his playbook, hitting the weight room and generally working on being a Pro, he is online reading fan forums and getting his feelings hurt.

No. am just a browns fan that cheers 53 to make the Browns a winning Team. Players audition their talents to decide if their in that 53. Coaches decide which 53 gives us the best chance to win on Sunday. Which of these are you? Faker is not a option at this time or level. How bout you?

Just for the sake of perspective, I went back 5 years and researched the first few CB's taken in the top 10-15 picks......

2014:

Gilbert - (#8)......rookie PFF score of -2.6

Fuller - (#14).....rookie PFF score of -18.4...(worst of all rookie CB's)

2013 -

Milliner - (#9)... ..rookie PFF score of -2.4..(3rd camp and still not starting)

Hayden - (#12)...rookie PFF score of -6.5..(3rd camp and still not starting)

2012:

Claiborne - (#6)..rookie PFF score of -4.1..(4th camp and might start)(maybe)

Gilmore - (#10)...rookie PFF score of -4.0..(started last year and scored his first plus in 3 years)

2011:

Peterson - (#5)...rookie PFF score of -9.5(worst rookie score in his class)(improved over next 2 years to become one of the best)

2010:

Haden - (#7).....rookie PFF score of +14.6....WOW!....he is the last CB drafted(top 10) to play well in year one.....all the rest....everyone of them......score the same or worse than Gilbert....

So....based upon recent history....Mr. Terrible graded as well or better than all the other CB's with similar expectations....

And the other popular CB rookies from last year, that so many were saying we should have picked, faired even worse....

Fuller was rated dead last....had 2 good games early, then turned to shit....and Dennard was so great that he didnt even play for a team that needs CB's.....

So....lets be fair in our comparisons, as CB(like QB) is an extra difficult position and our style of man play is the most difficult.....Let's give him a chance...he'll get it.....

Good work Mud. Not many Lebron's can walk out of HS and bam your a PRO!!

Apparently we have found the root cause of Gilbert's poor play.......... Instead of studying his playbook, hitting the weight room and generally working on being a Pro, he is online reading fan forums and getting his feelings hurt.

His coaches might remind him. Press clippings might be posted in the locker room. People will send him stuff. Twitter. Etc.

No. am just a browns fan that cheers 53 to make the Browns a winning Team. Players audition their talents to decide if their in that 53. Coaches decide which 53 gives us the best chance to win on Sunday. Which of these are you? Faker is not a option at this time or level. How bout you?

Have lived and died with the Browns since 1963... You put on our colors, I want you to make it. Junkin. Craig Powell. Phipps. TRich. I rooted for all of em. Cheered like a madman for Gilbert on his pick six v. Indy... but I just don't think he wants it badly enough...

Sometimes, people are afraid to succeed!!!!

i'm the biggest gilbert fan on here (well supporter i should say...). i think he needs something to go his way and obviously right now playing CB vs. the ones is not it. as someone else had suggested put him at PR/KR. i think if he suceeds at that, gets with the flow of the game, it might transfer to other aspects of the game.

if not, then he'll just be another on a pile of players i'd hoped that would make it big in cleveland.

oh well.........

Didn't Haden take a couple of years to blossom?

My recollection is iffy at best, but l do recall a rocky first half of his rookie season, but by the second half there were signs that things were clicking and a sense that he wasn't at least a bust.

Season number 2 he seemed to make headway into the solid cornerback department, but yeah, it seemed it was season 3 by the time he was the gold standard.

Haden was definitely ahead of where Gilbert is when Haden was where Gilbert is now.

I remember skrine getting demolished on this board for a long time. He kept improving and became a valuable player just in time to sign a nice contract somewhere else. I'm not saying that Gilbert will do the same, but it isn't unprecedented.

Which is fine for a 5th round pick, not #8 overall. Higher expectations unfortunately.

Your sarcasm is neither funny nor poignant. Try a new schtick for once. Like constructively talking about the Browns.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I was letting you know how ridiculous your position is on it. I don't know if kids growing up now are just made of Charmin and presume everyone else is or should be as influenced by what someone says on social media as they tend to feel. Others didn't grow up with needing everyone to tell them how they are wonderful and unique snowflakes.

Archived