THE BROWNS BOARD

10 poorest cities in Ohio

Westside Steve

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/poorest-cities-in-oh/

So when was the last time anybody heard about rioting or looting in any of them? I think they had a Spring Break party or something in Athens...

WSS

They are almost all rural areas would be my guess. Put a lot of poor and/or dumb people on top of each other and they tend to do really stupid things in groups. You also have a better sense of community when you don't have so many neighbors that there is no way that you know them so you have zero feelings either way when it comes time to loot their place.

Oh and the very real likelihood that people who live in rural spots tend to be armed and would shoot someone for stealing things from their property.

Out of curiosity, what defines a city over there? Because apparently there are hundreds in Ohio alone, some with populations lower than 20k. That's basically a village here :wacko:

Is there a formal definition?

I know what you mean Chris. I consider something like Cleveland a city. I'm in Indiana now and people here call Fort Wayne a city (its just a big collection if suburbs). But if you ask someone from Chicago or NYC what a city is, they might not even say Cleveland. It seems to all be about where you grew up.

Traditionally, you could only be a city here if you had a cathedral. Now it's conferred by the queen, for some reason (probably only ceremonially, I suspect). As a result, we only have about 70 cities in the UK.

Also no one is forcing anyone to be a city no matter what your numbers are. There is a movement afoot here in my home in Norton Ohio which is a city, having been voted in by the citizens at one time, to go back to being a village and let the county pay for some of our services.

On the other hand right next door a poorer but larger city that shares a zip code with us, Barberton, is looking to annex and expand.

WSS

Barberton chicken?

Decades and decades ago the city of Barberton rows up almost overnight. Two or three manufacturers open there and the imported thousands of people from Eastern Europe to work at the plants. Because of that it has been nicknamed the Magic City. At least 4 chicken dinner restaurants were opened, Belgrade gardens, Hopocan gardens, White House chicken and Milich's Village Inn.

All of them featured a unique (unlike any other chicken but all the same as each other) breadcrumb coating a mountain of greasy french fries and something they call hot sauce which is a spicy tomato and rice contraction.

People who love it swear by it.

WSS

Archived