THE BROWNS BOARD

Televangelists - Last Week Tonight

MLD Woody

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know cal, for someone who continuously floods the political discussion board with negative post after post about "libs" and democrats in general, I find it rather audacious and hypocritical of you to be admonishing others about being too general in their critique of Christian televangelists.

Anybody ever see the movie Marjoe starring Marjo Gortner

WSS

Indeed I have, after I saw Christopher Hitchens briefly describe it in one of his books. It's highly disturbing about how his parents treated him as a child.

You know cal, for someone who continuously floods the political discussion board with negative post after post about "libs" and democrats in general, I find it rather audacious and hypocritical of you to be admonishing others about being too general in their critique of Christian televangelists. jblu

I have no idea what you are talking about. Where did I complain to libs about them being too general....

what???????

Go back and read again.

I said

"Qubbling about the very end content/details doesn't make the basic logical structures

stop being the same."

The point was, they were looking at the details of content, when I was talking about the

basic logical structure. Of course the details are different. Actually, I was complaining

that they were into details between televangelists and engineers, obviously completely different,

when I was talking about why my sarcastic examples of engineers did the same thing -

shed a bad light on an entire group. That's all.

Wow Cal, jbluhm's post went right over your head. I think you missed his point completely

And again, you're still reaching incredibly hard on the "point" you're trying to make. I posted a video that shined a light on some negative aspects of Christianity (conmen that parade as preachers [tho the whole thing is one big con] and the dumb/desperate/mindless followers that eat up the con). You didn't like that apparently, so you posted engineering disasters over the course of centuries. Apparently trying to equate thr two, though they aren't alike in any way. Other posters here seem to agree too.

It was a desperate reach of an apparent attack of something I do. It pretty much failed spectacularly too. As much as you want the two to be the same, they aren't. Accidents aren't cons.

Then you calling everyone a liberal that disagrees with you about anything is just the icing on the cake.

Really? I did.

Anyway I did watch the video. There are some real assholes out there in the world of televangelism. And I think John Oliver is very good. As opposed to the shrike that took over for Colbert.

WSS

I also watched the video, and John Oliver is great.

Was that Debbie Downer playing his wife?

• 4 months later...
I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you...

* There are warnings in the bible like this that could apply here. I am not the judge but the bible says there will be those who think they are fine with the Lord and will have a rude awakening one day. There are no examples from Jesus to His disciples living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I do not believe Christians have to be poor either but it comes to moderation in all things. If a private jet could be justified because of expenses for use in ministry that would be an acceptable argument but that is not the case. These private jets that cost millions plus maintenance costs to me only seem to be status symbols.

being rich isn't a sin, and no I don't think you're "obligated" to hand out your money either. The issue is "how" you got rich. There quite a few rich people in this country that got rich because they deliberately hosed someone or some other people. Knew full well they were indulging in a system that if you knew it well, you could work it to fuck over a lot of people. Those people ain't seein nothing after they die. Someone who got rich cause he invented something, a service or product or whatever...that benefitted people for the most part...that's fine. More power to them. And a lot of those people are infact job creators.

What I hate is that rich has become synomonous with job creation, which is horseshit. In our current system you can get filthy stinking rich, up to your eyeballs in our fake monopoly money...and not create jack shit. Just feed off the system. I wish conservatives could wrap their heads around that distinction, the party would grow if they could.

Well people do work for corporations but that's not the point of the corporation. The point is to provide profit for those who invest. People like me, my father, my sister and just about every regular human being that has anything invested anywhere. Corporations are not and should not be seen as welfare organizations pissing away profits to keep useless workers on the job. Sorry but that's an unfortunate truth of the matter.

WSS

that's interesting, that corporations who employ thousands aren't really technically places of employment. Apparently they're places where laborers reside and toil away for their whole lives primarily for the benefit of investors. That is an interesting take on the economy. Explains a lot though. Maybe we shouldn't look at corporations as "job creators" then? Seeing as their just investment houses and all...

So they shouldn't be considered as "job creators". Cause companies that consider themselves job creators, ie economy stimulators, first and foremost...are the companies that should get old fashioneds regularly from govt. I really did think the purpose behind companies was to employ as many people as the business model would allow and make money for everyone involved in the endeavor.

Talk about contrary. The corporation's job is to produce a product for profit. To this end they must hire workers.

But they should hire as many workers as they need. Not more. Do you disagree?

You see it's not the other way around. Ie their job is not to hire workers and then figure out something to make and Cell at a profit.

WSS

of course I agree their reason for starting is a business idea. They produce that product "FOR PROFIT"...completely with you. But they do this business within our economy to contribute to it. Otherwise who are the consumers? If "we" aren't gainfully employed, who buys their shit? The less and less people a company employs, the less useful it is to the economy overall. Caveats to that are companies that start up to create a technology that then leads to other companies being able to create capital within our system, and yes workers are capital. Because workers than buy shit. People who don't work tend not to buy much shit, do you not agree?

I posted a video that shined a light on some negative aspects of Christianity

Stuart

No you didn't. Fleecing people is not an "aspect of Christianity", negative or otherwise.

There are con-men in the automotive repair industry, con-men MD's in the medical profession, con-men lawyers etc...

Negative aspects are the "downside" or unfavorable results or conditions that present themselves even if company policy, ethics etc., are adhered to.

You as a libfuck should be well versed in the "negative aspects" or "downside" of fracking for example, right Woody?

The "downside" or "negative aspect" of hiring a lawyer may be that his fees may be more than the lawsuit is worth...catching on Woody?

News for you Woody...There pretty much is consensus among all ideologies across the board that televangelists are scam artists.

Your thread is trivial and inconsequential. You created it because the urge to bash Christianity was just to strong to overcome this time.

of course I agree their reason for starting is a business idea. They produce that product "FOR PROFIT"...completely with you. But they do this business within our economy to contribute to it. Otherwise who are the consumers? If "we" aren't gainfully employed, who buys their shit? The less and less people a company employs, the less useful it is to the economy overall. Caveats to that are companies that start up to create a technology that then leads to other companies being able to create capital within our system, and yes workers are capital. Because workers than buy shit. People who don't work tend not to buy much shit, do you not agree?

To an extent. We do have welfare. People spend their welfare checks on things. And it's not a zero-sum game not everybody works but not everybody buys whatever I'm making. And for instance if you are retired or living off your investments the return you get from the stock in my widget factory is your salary. You can spend that on my widgets should you care to.

I don't see that we were in disagreement in that. I need 100 men to make widgets and I sell them for a profit.

If I have 150 men I break even and 200 men I lose money. So I need to make my widgets with a hundred workers.

WSS

To an extent. We do have welfare. People spend their welfare checks on things. And it's not a zero-sum game not everybody works but not everybody buys whatever I'm making. And for instance if you are retired or living off your investments the return you get from the stock in my widget factory is your salary. You can spend that on my widgets should you care to.

I don't see that we were in disagreement in that. I need 100 men to make widgets and I sell them for a profit.

If I have 150 men I break even and 200 men I lose money. So I need to make my widgets with a hundred workers.

WSS

yeah we agree then, I never meant to suggest companies hire more workers than their business model permits. There's some grey areas there where companies "could" hire more workers...or actually just not fire the ones they already have....but do so because the execs want to cash out. I think Hostess comes to mind.

But in the end companies/corporations exist to create economy, ie wealth for their employees and owners. These new existential definitions of what corporations are concern me, we already have seen what "corporations are people too" has done to campaign finance. It's destroyed our democracy. We're projected to spend almost $5B this election cycle.

Of course that's true but if you sacrifice profit even if it's to hire more workers can you trust your fellow American investors to still buy stock in your company and overlook the lower returns?

It reminds me of an argument I was having with a hard left guy who was bitching about the cheap piece of China shit he got at Walmart. Dude, don't you see the irony there? You could have gone right down the road and purchased one made in the USA for about 30% more but you prefer to bitch?

WSS

Archived