THE BROWNS BOARD

Driverless Cabs in NYC

gftChris

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/google-signs-agreement-with-nyc-mayor-to-replace-nyc-taxis-with-driverless-google-cabs/

Eventually going to run taxis out of business I don't doubt. I'm sure it's not a great thing initially, and there are plenty of other jobs that'll go this way, like train driving or whatever. But, in the very long term, I think it's a good thing - freeing up people to pursue their real interests, and enjoy life etc.

But, only if we can avoid a big demand on benefits in the mean time derailing the situation.

The question I have with driver less cabs is will they be able to avoid traffic or will they consistently choose the shortest route, in distance, between point a and point b? Because in NYC it might be less distance heading straight down 5th Avenue or Broadway on Saturday evening but probably will double your drive time

The question I have with driver less cabs is will they be able to avoid traffic or will they consistently choose the shortest route, in distance, between point a and point b? Because in NYC it might be less distance heading straight down 5th Avenue or Broadway on Saturday evening but probably will double your drive time

Of all the things to think about, that's your concern? Not an issue.

As it is in any cab. Computers are better at that than people, though. Plus, you have the possibility for distributed routes - where all human cabbies might try to go down broadway, since it's the quickest, you might end up with lots of traffic. So, they might change and go down madison avenue (I run out of NY streets pretty quickly). But, then by trying to second guess, they block that road up instead.

Computerised cabs can speak to other cabs and distribute the 'load' between both roads so the total travel time is optimised across all passengers.

Yes, the computer would probably figure out the quickest way unless the programmer instructed it to fuck the passengers.

And because the initial fare is more than a minute by minute cost it would probably benefit the company to have two trips instead of one longer ones.

But we need to face the fact human labour is less and less necessary.

WSS

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/google-signs-agreement-with-nyc-mayor-to-replace-nyc-taxis-with-driverless-google-cabs/

Eventually going to run taxis out of business I don't doubt. I'm sure it's not a great thing initially, and there are plenty of other jobs that'll go this way, like train driving or whatever. But, in the very long term, I think it's a good thing - freeing up people to pursue their real interests, and enjoy life etc.

Just bought a new-to-me Accord and realized it will probably be the last car I buy where my only choice is to manually drive it.

As for freeing people... high on most folks list is a job.

Well so far Google Maps often spot routes with construction and warn of delays. Not always but I'm sure that can be improved upon.

Chris can speak to it, but UK has a cool broadcast system where traffic updates for severe tie-ups are announced over the car's audio system. A 2000 rental had this and saved me time on a couple occasions.

And because the initial fare is more than a minute by minute cost it would probably benefit the company to have two trips instead of one longer ones.

Yup... except it's not only minutes that generate revenue, but also miles... so the only way to maximize income/hr after the initial fee is to keep the cab rolling as fast as possible.

Chris can speak to it, but UK has a cool broadcast system where traffic updates for severe tie-ups are announced over the car's audio system. A 2000 rental had this and saved me time on a couple occasions.

Wait, that's not a thing there? Why?!

Archived